Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Twitch posted:

There's a group of guys on the Internet who are against having boners, and I think it's safe to say that the boners are the better decision.

Pick is the original founder of NoFap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

The dude's already on oxygen, he should probably just stay the gently caress home in general.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Thought Alfred was just going to have drawn a picture of an 'h'.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chris Pistols posted:

Thought Alfred was just going to have drawn a picture of an 'h'.

Oh my god, that's awful. :holymoley:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Zipperelli. posted:

In case you guys spoilering NWS images didn't know, they still show up in-line so maybe link NWS images next time. Especially in this thread.

AUG thread? poo poo. Read that at work at your own peril.

Yeah. If you are going to post a funny pic in this thread, it needs to go behind a link.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LifeSunDeath posted:

The dude's already on oxygen, he should probably just stay the gently caress home in general.

How do you know it's not just nitrous?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Apparently something similar occurred with the first Swedish translation of LOTR.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Let's means test parachutes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
We're going to see this pixelated to hell and back in a meme about hydroxychloroquine aren't we?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

zedprime posted:

We're going to see this pixelated to hell and back in a meme about hydroxychloroquine aren't we?

It already is a meme about it.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

And parachutes actually have been pretty thoroughly tested over the years. And new ones get well tested before they put a person in them.

So this is pretty stupid, about par for chuds.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

LifeSunDeath posted:

A lot of people don't have the option.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Samovar posted:

Apparently something similar occurred with the first Swedish translation of LOTR.
The translator took a lot of liberties for sure, but it's still the same story at its core. So not exactly the same thing, from what I understand Icelandic Dracula.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

MrUnderbridge posted:

And parachutes actually have been pretty thoroughly tested over the years. And new ones get well tested before they put a person in them.

So this is pretty stupid, about par for chuds.
It's not contemporary (though people are bringing it up now). It's from a much older critique about the requirements for randomized controlled trials and generalizing constrained trials validity to the real world

The authors submit a paper doing a proper trial on "parachute therapy" vs placebo (empty backpack of same mass). For ethical reasons they limit the jump height to 1 meter. They find no statistically significant difference between treatment and placebo (both had 0 injuries).

And thus, from an evidence-based-medicine perspective, there still remains no proper validation of parachute therapy and, the authors argue, it would be unethical for a doctor to prescribe a parachute.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

(I read that these came about to make courtiers leaning towards each other and conspiring more difficult but heck if I know if it's true.

Anything to do with Chinese emperors was literally insane as heck so it could be :shrug:)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

(I read that these came about to make courtiers leaning towards each other and conspiring more difficult but heck if I know if it's true.

Anything to do with Chinese emperors was literally insane as heck so it could be :shrug:)
I'm working on a show that's based in the Spring & Autumn and Warring States period and had forgotten how out-there some of the headwear was. I'd love to know what the bead curtain is for on the righthand guy, for example, if it was more than just decoration.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hirayuki posted:

I'm working on a show that's based in the Spring & Autumn and Warring States period and had forgotten how out-there some of the headwear was. I'd love to know what the bead curtain is for on the righthand guy, for example, if it was more than just decoration.

It's a mosquito protection.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I'm "gravitationally challenged"

https://twitter.com/Calliethulhu/status/1248626927235031045?s=19

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Counterpoint, being grossed out by 'moist' is cool if it's a Dead Like Me reference :colbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

Reduces turbulence when airborne.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

An interesting thing about American Pronghorns is that they're not antelope but are the last survivor of a doomed family of mammals that became extinct 5 million years ago.

They're faster than they need to be because they evolved to outrun predators which are also extinct, like the American cheetah.

The pronghorn is one of my favorite animals. I love watching them spring up over fences and haul rear end across the fields. One of my best memories is stalking up on a herd of antelope out here in New Mexico with my brother; we got about 50 yards from them, then they grazed up toward us until they finally scented us maybe 20 yards away and bailed out.

Samovar posted:

I want to read this, and also Icelandic Dracula. I know zero Icelandic and my Swedish is limited to "tack så mycket" but I'll make it happen.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/joabaldwin/status/1248365460464132096

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Hirayuki posted:

Here's a whole stack exchange on it. Read the comments too.

https://history.stackexchange.com/questions/47475/did-chinese-emperors-wear-a-rectangular-hat-with-suspended-gems

Can you say what show?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Oh hey, I have that in a tweet

https://twitter.com/inceltown/status/1189759393920761856

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

It's a water closet :imunfunny:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ShadowHawk posted:

It's not contemporary (though people are bringing it up now). It's from a much older critique about the requirements for randomized controlled trials and generalizing constrained trials validity to the real world

The authors submit a paper doing a proper trial on "parachute therapy" vs placebo (empty backpack of same mass). For ethical reasons they limit the jump height to 1 meter. They find no statistically significant difference between treatment and placebo (both had 0 injuries).

And thus, from an evidence-based-medicine perspective, there still remains no proper validation of parachute therapy and, the authors argue, it would be unethical for a doctor to prescribe a parachute.

I think you could swing a single-patient IND for emergency use.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sweet, thanks!

Goon Boots posted:

Can you say what show?
Season 3 of the Kingdom anime.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ShadowHawk posted:

Which is still just stupid beep-boop bullshit.

If we had an understanding of human biology comparable to the depth of our understanding of simple physics there would be no need to do blind trials in the first place.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Apr 11, 2020

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hirayuki posted:

I'm guessing the bead curtain signifies either "I have more power and wealth than you can imagine, so I wear ridiculous stuff daring you to make mention of it" or "My boss has more power and wealth than you can imagine so he makes me wear the most ridiculous stuff and I cannot say anything about it and neither can you."

Just serious discussions about troop movements and edicts and never a word about wacky headgear.

CannonFodder has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Apr 11, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
watching some netflix show and the best name appears

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hell yeah, get yourself a Bapho-Mate

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Hihohe posted:

Beelzebud

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lucifriend.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hihohe posted:

Sounds like some new smilies in the making... just need someone good at arting, and someone with more money than brains...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

have gun wildonger