Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

There’s a mod out there that simulates getting the Bends. No, I don’t know why someone would want to play with it active. I’m also pretty sure I’ve seen people in the thread in Games recommending it. Unironically. :psyduck:

My experience with mods for a lot of games - Elder Scrolls and Fallout, for example - is that some people reaaallly want additional busywork and tedium in their gaming. The best you can hope for is that those changes are separate from (or at least optional in) the mods that add cool new things or fix actual issues with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oh gently caress that Oblivion gates saga.

TLDR: guy makes an open cities mod for Skyrim and puts in Oblivion gates left over from plot, some people don't like, guy gets pissy about verisimilitude, someone makes a fix that removes the gates, guy gets ultra MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY and gets the fix banned from the Nexus.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Synthbuttrange posted:

It was really weird to me and it still is that you, only protected by your swimsuit, can dive deeper than any of your vehicles, the only limiting factors being oxygen and heat. (and food/water depending on your game settings).

Like I didnt even experiment trying to get out of my seamoth at crush depth because I assumed it would be instant death. It's crushing a diving machine, it'd be insane for me to step outside. Until there was just a whole pile of loot there so I had to risk it. :v:

I played a little bit of this game before the anxiety it gave me proved too much for me, and I'm pretty sure one of the very early PDAs mentions that your scuba suit is actually some extremely-advanced environmental protection suit with an insanely high pressure resistance or something.

I may be misremembering, though, as it's been a long while since I played it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
One of the ones in the video said that the radiation suit was designed to withstand intense conditions on land, sea and space. If it's designed for even barren, airless worlds and atmospheric reentry in a life pod, then deep sea shouldn't be much more to design in

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Slaan posted:

One of the ones in the video said that the radiation suit was designed to withstand intense conditions on land, sea and space. If it's designed for even barren, airless worlds and atmospheric reentry in a life pod, then deep sea shouldn't be much more to design in

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4RLOo6bchU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Slaan posted:

Alterra seems to put more budget into their advertising than making sure their products can deliver on what the advertising says.

I decided to take the plunge on this game. I've found I'm not afraid of the ocean as much as I am losing several hours to this game without realizing it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I'm edging closer towards the "gently caress the Ocean" stage in my playing. Especially after what I managed to see during today's session.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Just wait. There's a while whole ton of Nopefish around. If we are lucky, we will get to see what lives in The Void.

I believe Brother Mantid and Brother Whaler live there, and the Sisters, and Master Color. ;)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

It was really weird to me and it still is that you, only protected by your swimsuit, can dive deeper than any of your vehicles, the only limiting factors being oxygen and heat. (and food/water depending on your game settings).

Like I didnt even experiment trying to get out of my seamoth at crush depth because I assumed it would be instant death. It's crushing a diving machine, it'd be insane for me to step outside. Until there was just a whole pile of loot there so I had to risk it. :v:

The Seamoth gets crushed because the pressure outside is greater than the pressure inside. If you're out there in your skivvies then the pressure is all equal everywhere, so crushing doesn't happen. The main things that will kill you are the cold and the fact that at that pressure your normal breathing gasses become poisonous.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's a databank entry for your default swimsuit, it mentions that it's build to handle the most extreme conditions in the galaxy.

That's probably Alterra marketing speak, given all the stuff it very much can't handle, but high pressure might be one of the things it can.

Bookthief
Jan 28, 2019
It is nice that the devs give players some leeway when it comes to depth and pressure damage. Vehicles except for the cyclops, will first just take increased damage from everything, and then after a second threshold is crossed damage will be dealt at a consistent interval until its either destroyed or you go to safe depth. The cyclops just skips straight to the consistent damage after passing its crush depth.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I can't help but think of the movie The Abyss and how they managed to dive into the depths.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Bloops Crusts posted:

I believe Brother Mantid and Brother Whaler live there, and the Sisters, and Master Color. ;)

Thanks for the heads up, Gold Eyes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

I can't help but think of the movie The Abyss and how they managed to dive into the depths.

Diving gasses:

To start with you use air (roughly 79% nitrogen, 21 oxygen). It's cheap, and perfectly good down to a few tens of meters.
However once you get below about 40m the nitrogen starts to become narcotic. Deep underwater is not a safe place to be severely drunk, so to avoid this you can replace some of the nitrogen with helium, forming a mix called trimix.
Deeper than 65m the oxygen becomes poisonous. You have to use a special hypoxic trimix that contains less than 20% oxygen - say, 10% oxygen / 60% helium / 30% nitrogen. The exact blend will depend on your dive profile.
Below ~100m you can't afford to bring any nitrogen at all. You're now breathing heliox, just helium and oxygen, good down to about 300m depth at which point the helium starts trying to kill you too.
If you're completely insane you can now replace the helium with hydrogen (hydrox) to go even deeper. Just please stand some distance from me.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 11, 2020

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

This is incredibly horrifying to hear and really brings into question the method your suit uses in the lore. I dunno if it's actually on a data pad or not, but I imagine our PC is loaded with extra chemicals for this type of travel

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

The Lone Badger posted:

Deeper than 65m the oxygen becomes poisonous. You have to use a special hypoxic trimix that contains less than 20% oxygen - say, 10% oxygen / 60% helium / 30% nitrogen. The exact blend will depend on your dive profile.

I'm surprised it's possible to breathe well with half the normal amount of oxygen in surface air, but I assume the extra pressure makes up for it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm surprised it's possible to breathe well with half the normal amount of oxygen in surface air, but I assume the extra pressure makes up for it.

What your body cares about is the total number of molecules of (gas) in your lungs, not the proportions between them. So say you're 40m underwater (experiencing 5x normal pressure) and breathing air. That's functionally equivalent to breathing pure oxygen. And also breathing 400% nitrogen.
(that's too much nitrogen)

This is what gets Everest ascenders. You don't want to have the gas in your lungs be at a higher pressure than the air outside. That would be... bad. So you have to fill your lungs with very low-pressure gas. And if the pressure you're breathing at is lower than 1/5th of normal sea-level pressure then even breathing pure oxygen won't get you enough.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 11, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Req.Martyr posted:

This is incredibly horrifying to hear and really brings into question the method your suit uses in the lore. I dunno if it's actually on a data pad or not, but I imagine our PC is loaded with extra chemicals for this type of travel

It's far more likely to be a variant of the SEP Field from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

There's no data or lore how the player's suit survives and helps them survive at the depths the game goes to aside from the vague bits in the Radiation Suit.

It Just WorksTM.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
on the subject of deep dives, y'all wanna read something that'll make ya stare at the wall for a while?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

gently caress. I was just thinking about this story last night. I don’t experience thalassophobia, but there’s something very different about cave diving. gently caress cave diving.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

IMJack posted:

Alterra seems to put more budget into their advertising than making sure their products can deliver on what the advertising says.

And people say this game isn't realistic!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

All the risks of deep diving plus lots of jagged edges AND tight spots to get stuck and die in!

If I knew it would take me more than 30 minutes to get my cyclopes out of that damned cave I would have just gone with the seamoth and risked the monsters.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Bloops Crusts posted:

Now there's something I hadn't thought of in a very long time.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It's that time again!

#7 - The Aurora

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Those are some real annoying enemies. If you are only going to include "combat" in the game, make the enemies big and slow, not fast and annoying so that its easy to take them out instead of a pain

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

some tips:
I did the aurora with only a couple of first aid kits and one extinguisher and while there are more than enough to find aboard I almost ran out of both, OP OTH took quite a few too many.

I figure that half what you took is enough of a safety margin (and it leaves room for a propulsion cannon).

Your vessels can get beached/stuck and there's no simple way to recover them! after spending 15 minutes messing with console commands (which disables achievements) I gave up and loaded a save.
so be careful around tight spots and install the autosave mod.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

It used to be possible to speedrun the game and beat it before the ship explodes, but that involved a (now patched) glitch that let you wedge a base tube into the hull of the Aurora.

When the game tried to figure out how the solid tube and solid hull occupied the same space, it just sorta...

Erased the entire hull.

This let you bypass everything and swim into a room from out of bounds, get whatever tech you needed, then let the radiation kill you and warp you back to base.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I do like how there's an Officer Keen who's been forced to take command. Tres cute.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cave crawlers, or, as they are more properly known, cave fuckers

You may not strictly need the propulsion cannon, but it's well worth the trouble just for yeeting those vermin into space.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Hwurmp posted:

Cave crawlers, or, as they are more properly known, cave fuckers

These little shits justified my bringing a repulsion gun all by themselves. You can forbid me weapons Subnautica but you can't stop me from just launching the crabs right back to the ocean.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
I got way more into this game than I expected to. The only part that disappointed me was the fact that by the time I had acquired the Cyclops and geared it up for a deep dive, there was basically only one small section to explore with it. I was really looking forward to loading it up for extended exploration, like I was preparing for a road trip or something, but I remember only being away from my base for about an hour before I went back (and not because I had to for supply reasons or something). I wish they had created a few more "deep" areas that only the Cyclops could reach, because my favourite moments from my playthrough involved carefully navigating my sub into pitch blackness and occasionally roaming around inside it to check status and do minor maintenance.

By popular demand posted:

Your vessels can get beached/stuck and there's no simple way to recover them! after spending 15 minutes messing with console commands (which disables achievements) I gave up and loaded a save.
so be careful around tight spots and install the autosave mod.

This was a huge pain in the rear end for the sub. I built an early base in the shallows, close to where the starting lifepod is. When I first constructed the sub, it ended up in a spot where just about every direction caused it to get stuck. It took about half an hour of nudging and shifting around to get it out into completely open water.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Something I discovered by the way is that the map mod will show you were the geysers are as thermal event tag. Also showing off their approximate location if you skirted right past em. That's who I found the second one that was just a 100m away from the lifepod.
Edit: No wait, that was the Biome addon I grabbed for the map mod. :doh:

Also suddenly realized why you don't check the radio constantly, and it feels like I skipped ahead a bit when it comes to the plot thanks to that.
There's a mod that turns the trash can into a recycler that i grabbed and found handy to deconstruct stuff you don't need anymore.

These little shits justified my bringing a repulsion gun all by themselves. You can forbid me weapons Subnautica but you can't stop me from just launching the crabs right back to the ocean.

Having encountered those recently at another specific location I can only agree, gently caress em.
One of those things that make me want to get a proper weapon mod to kill them more efficiently.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 12, 2020

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Psycho Knight posted:

I got way more into this game than I expected to. The only part that disappointed me was the fact that by the time I had acquired the Cyclops and geared it up for a deep dive, there was basically only one small section to explore with it.

The game doesn't explain it beforehand but the cyclops is mostly useful as a mobile base, which is great but everyone is surprised to build it and not get a bigger and better seamoth.

Bookthief
Jan 28, 2019
ah cave crawlers, spent way too much time trying to exterminate them from various locations in game. There is something rather relaxing about having a reefback nearby a base.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So yeah, someone asked earlier in the thread what happens if you visit the Aurora before the big explosion - at that point, the bow of the ship is still intact, so there's no entry point for you.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

The game doesn't explain it beforehand but the cyclops is mostly useful as a mobile base, which is great but everyone is surprised to build it and not get a bigger and better seamoth.

Yeah, I realized that afterward, as you said. But I never really felt like I got to use it as a mobile base. It was like getting one of those big RV's and using it to go on a road trip... 100 kilometers. Like, yeah. It has all that you need just in case. But your house is right over there, like an hour away. I mostly used the sub as a cargo hauler. It was just extra storage space.

:smith: I wanted big dangerous underwater adventures in my cool sub. Patching it up and making adjustments and possibly getting lost for god knows how many days through underwater caves and tunnels.

I do not have thalassophobia, if that wasn't obvious.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 12, 2020

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Seeing video of those enemies was the moment I decided to watch LPs of the game rather than buy it. Something about that kind of irritating scuttling creature that leaps for the player's face always turns me right off, especially in a game where you only seem to get a melee weapon for self-defence.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Psycho Knight posted:

Yeah, I realized that afterward, as you said. But I never really felt like I got to use it as a mobile base. It was like getting one of those big RV's and using it to go on a road trip... 100 kilometers. Like, yeah. It has all that you need just in case. But your house is right over there, like an hour away. I mostly used the sub as a cargo hauler. It was just extra storage space.

:smith: I wanted big dangerous underwater adventures in my cool sub. Patching it up and making adjustments and possibly getting lost for god knows how many days through underwater caves and tunnels.

I do not have thalassophobia, if that wasn't obvious.
Yeah, I feel the same, even having realized the mobile base idea before I built it - you get it at a point where mobile base isn't really needed since you can just set up anywhere if you load up your Seamoth with stuff and make a couple trips.

No sub captain explorer adventures, sadly. Maybe they'll give it more of a lategame in Below Zero?

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
I honestly never had an issue with Cave Crawlers. Yeah, I'd get hit every now and then, but mostly I ignored them and when I did get hit, it wasn't for very much. Bleeders weren't too bad while I was repairing the drive core either, since I just kept mobile and didn't stay in one place. I'd have to cut off one or two while I was doing it, but I felt like they had a hard time attaching to a moving target. I really didn't mind them all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Re: Fecking crabs:
there's this mod that allows to disable creatures and since the crabs only appear in a couple of places you miss nothing by removing them.
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/92

Re:Cyclops: (spoiler for the next exploration vessel)
Once you finally build the prawn suit you really need a cyclops to carry it around, It's only good for short range exploration/ gathering.
(but god is it fun)