Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

20 hours in now and still loving this.

So I, uh, rolled back my "setting up a distillery operation in The Great Desert" save by a day or so, to the time before I built walls around my one-building settlement and farm area. Lack of walls seems to have dramatically reduced the number of random people just attacking my poo poo. Sure it means a bit more micromanagement, making sure that my companion (a Hiver named Khalid who is great at farming) doesn't do his outdoor jobs while I'm not looking, etc.

I'm going super slow and I like it that way. I'm on Day 40 of my game, and my farming operation is starting to become profitable enough that I can start thinking about automating it. Long-term plans include recruiting some companions that actually know how to fight, (re)building proper defenses around my distillery operation so it can be automated further, and then maybe look into expanding distribution beyond the immediate Sho-Battai area and start a booze empire. Oh, and... keep paying my taxes I guess. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Drone posted:

So I, uh, rolled back my "setting up a distillery operation in The Great Desert" save by a day or so, to the time before I built walls around my one-building settlement and farm area. Lack of walls seems to have dramatically reduced the number of random people just attacking my poo poo.
It doesn't, really. There are certain building types that are flagged as base-creating and every base is pretty treated the same no matter what is in it. Attack events are basically random, though, and depend on how many enemy squads are actually in the area and have their patrol routes pass by you. You just got more lucky this time around.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Not having walls for a bit is fine, though, if you can't win the fights anyway. If you put up walls and can't win any fights you're just trapping yourself inside. Wait until you can at least beat down passing bandits before building up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, at the beginning of the game, just running the gently caress away and retaking your base later (possibly after the bandits have wandered off) is a perfectly legitimate tactic. The only thing they will ever actually steal is food.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I've heard the best place to build your first base is in the foggiest place you can, the foggier the better. Might make some new friends, too!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
200+ hours of play. Never paid taxes. :black101:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

HoboTech posted:

I've heard the best place to build your first base is in the foggiest place you can, the foggier the better. Might make some new friends, too!

I have hiver expansion, I also made "tame beasties" mod into " if you are in my cage, (heh) then join or die". hiver expansion adds fog preators, they kind of large.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How necessary are mods in this?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not at all, the game is perfectly playable and complete even without them. I would recommend the DarkUI for readability, but all that mods do is add additional content and maybe one or two neat game-mechanical things like being able to recruit prisoners by persuading them to join you through dialogue.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I picked this up earlier. Started a "Guy with a Dog" run as a Shek (it was Shek or Skele and I basically flipped a coin). I nearly starved to death before finally finding a city who showed no mercy and demanded I prove my wealth. When I couldn't they beat the hell out of me, made me as a slave and killed my dog. Successful first run. Maybe next time I will run North instead of South. I want that dog to live!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Redundant posted:

Maybe next time I will run North
I, uh, would not recommend that.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I, uh, would not recommend that.
Well now I have to! Have to run West that is!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol yeah go west

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
if you have performance problems, because the engine is kind of not great and the content itself is terribly janky, there are some mods that make that better:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1680569822 "No Clutter" - this strips out a lot of extraneous (often non visible) clutter geometry, this was by far the biggest help for me. It takes away from the overall ruined aesthetic but on the other hand a lot of the stuff in question is just brown visual gibberish anyway. I was able to turn on shadows after installing this mod, and it made all the cities render smoothly. This was the last mod I installed because I really didn't want to give up all the clutter but once I did, I kind of wish I'd done this first because I didn't miss the stuff once it was gone.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1185078114 "Removed Weather Effects" - this helped some, not nearly as much as No Clutter though

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1630968750 "Reduce Stones and Some Other Foliage" - this is basically a much less thorough version of No Clutter

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1649794243 "Compressed Textures Project" - a lot of the vanilla textures are 4k x 4k which is kind of bananas, this mod replaces them with half rez versions. This helps load times quite a lot. you can see a difference but ehhh :shrug:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1649794243 "Compressed Textures Project" - a lot of the vanilla textures are 4k x 4k which is kind of bananas, this mod replaces them with half rez versions. This helps load times quite a lot. you can see a difference but ehhh :shrug:
It has other advantages, too. The game tends to crash spontaneously whenever it runs out of usable memory, which I think is actually just 4GB because it's 32 bit. Compressed Textures give a lot more leeway because it makes the memory foot substantially smaller.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I don't mind a few false starts but it's good to at least have a vague idea which direction to wander helplessly in.

Flesh Forge posted:

if you have performance problems, because the engine is kind of not great and the content itself is terribly janky, there are some mods that make that better:
Thanks for this too. Performance isn't terrible, but it's not great either so anything to help that is a bonus.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Redundant posted:

I picked this up earlier. Started a "Guy with a Dog" run as a Shek (it was Shek or Skele and I basically flipped a coin). I nearly starved to death before finally finding a city who showed no mercy and demanded I prove my wealth. When I couldn't they beat the hell out of me, made me as a slave and killed my dog. Successful first run. Maybe next time I will run North instead of South. I want that dog to live!

Becoming a slave is not an end state, it is an opportunity to reenact the transition in the Conan the Barbarian wheel of pain scene

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Clark Nova posted:

Becoming a slave is not an end state, it is an opportunity to reenact the transition in the Conan the Barbarian wheel of pain scene

Dog was dead, though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Polyseme posted:

Dog was dead, though.

So now you're Conan and John Wick? This is going to get bloody.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What's Lo-Fi Games' status these days anyway? I know Kenshi was like ten years in development and most of that was as a part-time passion project of a security guard. Is the dude a full-time game dev now?

And was there ever any more of a final decision from Lo-Fi's side about "do we completely remake Kenshi 1 in Unreal Engine, or do we leave it as it is and work on Kenshi 2"? Because the former seems like it would be... a bad business choice?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think there's plans to backport ai changes or something, but not the graphics engine. Which makes me happy since they seem to be going a cell shaded route (i.e. more borderlands-y) for kenshi 2 and I really hate that look.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They do monthly updates on the progress of Kenshi 2 and general goings-on with stuff like convention visits and new hires, Deathbeard's in full game dev mode now. Development is being moved onto to an entirely new engine (to UE4 from.... Ogre lol) and the plan as of now is that they're going to be taking their upgraded pathfinding AI that they're working on for the second game and back-porting it into Kenshi 1 (since Kenshi 1 uses some purchased pathfinding middleware apparently that they're licensing)

Azhais posted:

Which makes me happy since they seem to be going a cell shaded route (i.e. more borderlands-y) for kenshi 2 and I really hate that look.

where did you get that information? The only information regarding the game's art style I can find since they even announced they were working on Kenshi 2 is that one image of a mostly-finish samurai armor set and some concept art from a few months ago.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm mostly basing that on the concept art which is hardly final.

Someone made a reshade based on it
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kenshi/comments/f5u8gk/kenshi2_style_reshade_by_wugonorama_final_update/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm still getting a kick out of the fact that so much of the iconic Kenshi weirdness is based on the fact that the dev was able to get good deals on a set of animations for using a katana and things like that, and then he just created a setting and world to fit that.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I think that art mod is pretty cool. Kenshi looks like utter trash, graphics wise.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Kenshi graphics are really weird. Taken as a whole my brain is perpetually tricked into thinking it's a game that looks like 1997 at best but there's a lot of really impressive models, textures, and especially the skybox if you zoom in and frame shots correctly.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

It has other advantages, too. The game tends to crash spontaneously whenever it runs out of usable memory, which I think is actually just 4GB because it's 32 bit. Compressed Textures give a lot more leeway because it makes the memory foot substantially smaller.

Wait really, it's 32 bit? I guess it makes sense given the 10 year dev time, I was going bonkers wondering why my machine kept having memory related crashes running Kenshi. Now I know!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Donkringel posted:

Wait really, it's 32 bit? I guess it makes sense given the 10 year dev time, I was going bonkers wondering why my machine kept having memory related crashes running Kenshi. Now I know!
I assumed it was because of all those out-of-memory crashes, but apparently it's just sloppily programmed. After double-checking that just now, it turns out it actually isn't - anymore, at least. It started out as 32 bit and was upgraded to 64 bit at some point during beta, which apparently wasn't as successful as it ought to have been.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I still crash if i check the box that claims to allow faster area loading. Patience is a virtue.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

With my second attempt I picked up my dog and ran west. I came across a guard tower where ninjas were fighting paladins, I waited around and took a little risk to loot some of the losers whilst the fight was still going on. I managed to pick up a bunch of first aid kits, a new weapon and some decently expensive weapons to sell before running away before I caught their attention. I had to put the dog down so we could at least move moderately quickly. I've ended up in some fishing village on the coast, a little bit more to the north than I had planned but I had to skirt some dangers on the way whilst pretty weighed down. I managed to sell my stuff and buy some fish just before I began to starve. Near the village I see some iron and a little further out is some copper to mine once I fancy my chances of being able to run back to the safety of the village bar and not get cut down on the way. At least starving to death isn't an immediate risk, and I imagine I can keep sneaking back to that guard tower to steal some more weapons for money if needed, especially if I leave my dog behind. That might actually be more efficient than mining but we'll see.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Azhais posted:

I'm mostly basing that on the concept art which is hardly final.

Someone made a reshade based on it
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kenshi/comments/f5u8gk/kenshi2_style_reshade_by_wugonorama_final_update/

Ah yeah I just thought there was some information I missed. imo I wouldn't worry about a game's upcoming art style based on someone else's interpretation of a piece of concept art lol

I also hope it's not borderlands style cell-shading with toon outline shaders.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I'll try not to spam the thread too much but the update!

The fishing village was good enough short term but regular cannibal attacks and not many guards meant that I abandoned them fairly quickly. I ended up at Worlds End where I could mine in peace. After a couple of days of mining I had managed to save up enough to buy a backpack and stock up on enough food to wander back to the guard outpost and again look the spoils of their fighting. I went back to Worlds End and then explored more to the west and I found a village of ninjas. At first I refused to fight the religious folks with them. After finding a safehouse and looting it for everything it was worth I ended up wandering into a zealot stronghold called Rebirth. I tried to run but they cut me down and enslaved me but left me in the middle of nowhere and didn't kill my dog! They did take my good weapons though!

After picking the lock and strolling back to the safehouse I rested up, went back to the village, sold what I could, agreed to help fight the racist religious bastards and went into the Floodlands. I found a cool robot in a cool tower, he joined me and I ransacked his place before leaving. Some crab robot things kicked the hell out of me on the way out but I managed to survive, bandage up and limp back to the village. I bought a bunch of new weapons and armour, the robot is going to go full martial arts because it will be funny and now my Shek guy is training using the dummies so we can maybe go and kill some cannibals for practice.

I might risk the floodlands again but those robots are no joke.

Redundant fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 13, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm enjoying your adventures so far

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Redundant posted:

I found a village of ninjas. At first I refused to fight the religious folks with them.

Redundant posted:

I tried to run but they cut me down and enslaved me but left me in the middle of nowhere and didn't kill my dog! They did take my good weapons though!

After picking the lock and strolling back to the safehouse I rested up, went back to the village, sold what I could, agreed to help fight the racist religious bastards
Excellent character arc
(Seriously, the Holy Nation is just the worst)

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Bofast posted:

I'm enjoying your adventures so far

Me too. This is your blog now.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

TIL you can basically turn off raids in the options if you just want to build a bit.

I dont because I like the challenge and my guys need training.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Question: will bars and such fill up with new guys to recruit or once I hire everybody from a town will I have to look for people elsewhere?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They don't respawn, but there are also about 300 recruitable NPCs in the world on average and you can always free slaves, who will join you on ~50%-ish chance as soon as you remove them from where you found them. The rest will flee. If all that isn't enough, you can import your game world will all your characters and buildings intact and just start over in a fresh map.

Don't worry, you won't be running out of mens anytime soon.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Are there mods available that can rebalance stealth by making it much harder in high light conditions but leaving it about the same in low light conditions? Basically to increase the light sensitivity and the magnitude of negative effect that light conditions have on stealth.

The reason I'm asking is because I've been playing a solo stealth character that avoids direct combat and uses assassinations against humanoids, and kites with a crossbow against creatures and robots. I've found it to be game breakingly easy because I can avoid combat at will when I have high stealth and athletics and these skills can be trained up quickly and safely. If I ever fail to knockout then I can just run away and shortly afterwards return to try again. There's no need to engage in combat directly. I've been enjoying using it like a cheatmode for this character, but for my next character I'd like to restore the challenge without completely abandoning stealth. I've set myself the limitation of never using assassination and of only using stealth in in the lowest possible light conditions. It's easy to never use assassination (just don't click the button) but to restore stealth balance I'd have to manually break stealth every time the stealth bar isn't fully dark, I might fail to notice. It'd be easier if there was a mod that would automatically have a higher chance of breaking stealth when my character moved out of full darkness. So are there any mods that can do this, or is Kenshi just not capable of supporting a mod like this?

Also, I've noticed that when my character is noticed sometimes (the eye over the character is in red state), but not always, they will automatically take themselves out of stealth mode without me switching it off manually. This is very frustrating because I'll assume stealth is still active and then be noticed by enemies that would not have noticed me in stealth mode. So what's the rule that governs when the character will auto-cancel stealth mode? It only seems to happen sometimes but not always, but I expect there's probably a subtle distinction somewhere that I'm not seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sorry, but I think the stealth balance is hardcoded. I've never seen anything that would let you do that anywhere in the construction set. I suppose you could simply carry around a pair of heavy boots to put on when in bright light, for the stealth malus?