Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

I'm starting to think that many conservative personalities are often promoted for their looks rather than their intelligence.

E: tax

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yellowstone next please

:emptyquote:

This is the right thing to do but I definitely see how chuds going apeshit over an infringement on "MAH RIGHTS".

https://twitter.com/NickKristof/status/1248577320555872257

Never let a crisis go to waste.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Yeah, ultimately Beshear is going with the best option in a bad situation.

They should board the churches up and not let anyone out until this is over.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Data Graham posted:

What this makes me wonder is how in the gently caress we ever managed to get things like vaccinations and public school established in the first place.

Just imagining a universe in which Americans thought of themselves as part of a larger whole to which they owed some responsibility toward a better future is making my brain hurt like the purest science fiction

Blood, perseverance and dumb luck.

https://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/1730-1774-marblehead-riots-smallpox-inoculation/

I'm sure there's more, but the Marblehead riots were a thing around smallpox. There's some fun twists, but a lot of basics are the same poo poo that we're still dealing with. There's also an episode of The Dollop covering them that I remember being decent.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Roadie posted:

On a personal level I can't really blame Obama for wanting to stay out of anything and everything related to the current electorate. He already got an endless flood of racist harassment and racist death threats and even the merest bit of Trump provoking things would make it even worse, and now he doesn't have government resources to filter it all out all.

He hasn't stayed out. He surfaced just long enough to snuff out the progressive movement for 2020 then went back to counting his millions.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It’s time to open the bars and have a drink!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

This is the right thing to do but I definitely see how chuds going apeshit over an infringement on "MAH RIGHTS".

https://mobile.twitter.com/Millie__Weaver/status/1248761059885932547

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I keep hearing about all these idiots who are actively are trying to give themselves and their friends/family the current plague. I really should care for them, and especially their innocent relations who they're putting at risk, despite their actions but...I've no more fucks to give

It's just so goddamned draining to watch these people just throw themselves into the corpse pile with a mixture of glee and delusion.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The Bernie campaign explicitly bet that the Democrat field is just like the Republican one, which not only indicts their poor strategy and understanding of the differences, but betrays their arrogance.

It actually probably would have worked if Pete and Klob hadn't dropped out exactly when they did, at exactly the moment Biden needed them to, so that he could win a swathe of states that he didn't campaign in and didn't have any staff in and didn't have any infrastructure in.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

I keep hearing about all these idiots who are actively are trying to give themselves and their friends/family the current plague. I really should care for them, and especially their innocent relations who they're putting at risk, despite their actions but...I've no more fucks to give

It's just so goddamned draining to watch these people just throw themselves into the corpse pile with a mixture of glee and delusion.

Ask them in all seriousness what the doorknobs they've licked actually taste like.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yellowstone next please

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/797119240386084864

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The Bernie campaign explicitly bet that the Democrat field is just like the Republican one, which not only indicts their poor strategy and understanding of the differences, but betrays their arrogance.

I don't think they had another way to win. We can criticize them for certain decisions but considering that the institutional party and more importantly, Obama, the leader of the party, would rather nominate the weaker candidate and lose to Trump rather than allow a Bernie nomination, it was never really clear as the thing was going on how uphill their climb was.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

If we are lucky the completely insane evangelicals might pull Heaven's Gate and off themselves before the "Rapture"

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Since locking the doors mid service and keeping all the death cult fucks trapped inside for the duration isn’t reasonable, cops should definitely stop every car and give them a ticket.

I can’t wait to see how many of these stupid cunts die.

Go, see your loving god. I just wish they would do it by suck starting a shotgun and not endanger the rest of us. God dammit I loving hate these people

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as the pandemic spreads | Free to read
ft.com/2 hours ago

"Latest changes
April 9: All maps and charts now exclude nursing home deaths from France’s totals to maintain cross-national comparability
April 8: Added streamgraph and stacked column charts, showing regional daily deaths of patients diagnosed with coronavirus.
April 7: The maps now display total deaths rather than confirmed cases."

Covid vs. US Daily Average Cause of Death
flourish.studio/4/8/20

Novartis paid Trump lawyer Michael Cohen $1.2 million for advice on Obamacare – work he was unable to do
cnbc.com/May 9 2018
'"Drug giant Novartis revealed Wednesday that it paid President Donald Trump’s lawyer Michael Cohen $1.2 million for health-care policy consulting work that he proved “unable” to do.

The company also said it has been questioned by special counsel Robert Mueller’s team about the payments to Cohen.

NBC News reported later Wednesday that a senior Novartis official said that Cohen reached out shortly after Trump’s election “promising access” to the new administration.

Novartis said it signed a one-year contract with Cohen’s shell company, Essential Consultants, for $100,000 per month in February 2017, shortly after Trump was inaugurated as president.

Novartis said it believed Cohen “could advise the company as to how the Trump administration might approach certain U.S. health-care policy matters, including the Affordable Care Act.”

But just a month after signing the deal, Novartis executives had their first meeting with Cohen, and afterward “determined that Michael Cohen and Essentials Consultants would be unable to provide the services that Novartis had anticipated.”'

"And that's that."
youtu.be/Jan 5, 2015
"And there was nothing we could do about it."

And a tax for how angry the rest of us should be:

https://i.imgur.com/Y3pzMFm.mp4

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1248787829968297985

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

mcmagic posted:

I don't think they had another way to win. We can criticize them for certain decisions but considering that the institutional party and more importantly, Obama, the leader of the party, would rather nominate the weaker candidate and lose to Trump rather than allow a Bernie nomination, it was never really clear as the thing was going on how uphill their climb was.

Alright I'm gonna come out and say it even though this seems obvious, but I'm pretty sure Obama and the rest of the party establishment think Bernie is the weaker candidate, not Biden.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Alright I'm gonna come out and say it even though this seems obvious, but I'm pretty sure Obama and the rest of the party establishment think Bernie is the weaker candidate, not Biden.

Obama seemed to think that Deval Patrick was the man to sweep it, so I don't know if their opinions count for much.

Has anything more come out about that? Deval Patrick's weird entrance in the race is still one of the bigger headscratchers to me.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Obama seemed to think that Deval Patrick was the man to sweep it, so I don't know if their opinions count for much.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying they're right, just that if we agree that most Establishment Dems have spent the last thirty years thinking mild centrism is the best way to get votes, and Biden is still polling ahead of Sanders against Trump (+5.9 v. +4.2 on RCP), then it stands to reason they actually think Biden has a better chance of winning.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/zachdcarter/status/1248667234878271489

lol graham just says insane poo poo now because he is empty now that McCain is dead. i feel like this will end with graham shoving mccains dead body into a giant egg like drakengard.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I hit the “I don’t want to hear another word about John McCain until he actually does something or dies” point with Graham years ago, and don’t understand why this thread needs to Five Minutes Hate every time he makes an empty threat so Daddy will notice him.

Stop giving him so much attention until he does anything, literally anything at all

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Alkydere posted:

I used to be a Humanist. But watching how humans respond to anything that isn't hurting them, personally, right at this exact moment, I eventually came to the conclusion that humanity deserved its impending death.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

The Lone Badger posted:

I used to be a Humanist. But watching how humans respond to anything that isn't hurting them, personally, right at this exact moment, I eventually came to the conclusion that humanity deserved its impending death.

This isn't really fair. There are plenty of people that care about the well being of other humans and a better future. Hell, i'd even argue there's far more of them than there are the CHUD death cult types or sociopathic hyper-capitalists or whatever.

The problem is that the assholes and ignorant sorts will gleefully march the decent people of the world off the end of a plank into a shark tank if it suits their agenda. And they tend to be ambitious and patient enough to corrupt whatever systems they want power in so that they can have that power.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I'll bet most of those doctors that signed up are ones he shilled the papers to and have no qualifications in any field related to this. Kinda like how they always talk about evolution with some quack that got their title through an honorary or just flat out lied about their degree

Well, you know, like the bible says, "only pray in big buildings dedicated to Christianity so that everyone can see how awesome good you are at it and how nice you dress. Otherwise you are a loser and I will insult you like this was high school all over again because I am a petty bitch"

I think God, being all knowing and loving, wouldn't have an issue with people staying at home, you know, to save lives

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

I'm starting to think that many conservative personalities are often promoted for their looks rather than their intelligence.

E: tax

You just caught on to this?

Mat Cauthon posted:

Sounds like profiteering to me...but I don't make the laws

Wow, those comments...this really drew out the fucknut fundie brigade

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 11, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Trump is at -14 with Rasmussen.

https://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/trump_approval_index_history

538 adjusted that down to -20. Negative. Twenty.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KillHour posted:

Trump is at -14 with Rasmussen.

https://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/trump_approval_index_history

538 adjusted that down to -20. Negative. Twenty.

and we're still pretty early in the pandemic

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

is twitter legit getting worse by the day?

apparently you can't tweet to a person from a person's home page anymore. you can only reply to tweets they've already made if you want to contact them

wtf?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Has anything more come out about that? Deval Patrick's weird entrance in the race is still one of the bigger headscratchers to me.

He also said pete was the future of the party when he was meddling in the dnc chair race. He really is a worthless rear end in a top hat.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Yeah this is going to age well. Only 60K deaths expected when 8K out of 16K total deaths have happened in 4 days?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Interweb posted:

is twitter legit getting worse by the day?

apparently you can't tweet to a person from a person's home page anymore. you can only reply to tweets they've already made if you want to contact them

wtf?

it's a setting, this is off by default

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Arrgytehpirate posted:

They should board the churches up and not let anyone out until this is over.

tbh they'll just meet in someone's closed down office. At least this way you can tag em and quarantine em

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Uncle Wemus posted:

He also said pete was the future of the party when he was meddling in the dnc chair race. He really is a worthless rear end in a top hat.

tbf a number of people around here thought Pete was the left wing pro choice for DNC chair at the time

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

That sounds good on paper but I'm also thinking this could easily wind up with people attacking police or worst case a Bundy standoff situation. Maybe I'm just being alarmist (probably).

Remember the church shooting from a couple years back? I know that some churches, such as my dad's, have formed safety committees that are active during service. So the church having an ill-trained but armed response team is a non-zero possibility as well.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Uncle Wemus posted:

What the gently caress is this 'Obama globalist puppet master' crap and where did it come from? Until this week the only things I've seen about him are leftists complaining that his administration was a disaster and that he has disappeared from politics. This failure to engage showed he was an empty suit centrist that didn't care about people or have real political values. Now suddenly he apparently talked to a few people to narrow down the race and he is fact Soros 2.0 who is able to hand pick DNC positions. It's a bit of a head spinner.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Fart Amplifier posted:

Yeah this is going to age well. Only 60K deaths expected when 8K out of 16K total deaths have happened in 4 days?

with apologies to fisting by many

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

MrNemo posted:

What the gently caress is this 'Obama globalist puppet master' crap and where did it come from? Until this week the only things I've seen about him are leftists complaining that his administration was a disaster and that he has disappeared from politics. This failure to engage showed he was an empty suit centrist that didn't care about people or have real political values. Now suddenly he apparently talked to a few people to narrow down the race and he is fact Soros 2.0 who is able to hand pick DNC positions. It's a bit of a head spinner.

They aren't really contradictory positions :shrug:.

Obama's been surprisingly quiet publicly and hasn't really done much to advance any social issues or pet projects. It was minor news when he made a few weak jabs at Trump's handling of the pandemic. I asked last time this came up, but I guess that whole proposed voter rights project fell apart.

At the same time, he seems to be exerting soft power to direct the general future of the party, notably with the DNC chair and seemingly with the primary. It's less moving symbolic chess pieces in a backroom while he smokes a cigar and laughs and more him flexing his contact list when he feels like it. Although this is all coming out filtered through rumors, vague political reporting and general bullshit. I'm sure some of it is just people who get off on acting like they're Obama's oracle and know what he's really thinking, but there does seem to be a pattern.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

MrNemo posted:

People think that the DNC is simultaneously the worst thing ever and completely inept while also being a master organisation able to pull off the greatest swindle of all time which is the left of the election from Bernie. Which is far more likely than just like, sanders base not turning out and him refusing to deal with other dems and Biden having a base more traditionally known as you know- democrats

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I don't know why people think it's a complex scheme. It was pretty simple- get all the non-Biden candidates to drop out just in time for Super Tuesday to coalesce the centrist vote, and hang them over Sanders' head during a pandemic. Sanders pretty much admitted on Colbert he dropped out because the DNC would keep on marching voters to their deaths as long as he stayed in the race.

The complaint is that Obama has been using his influence for only bad things. It's not like anyone disagrees that the Clintons spent years making sure the bench was clear for Hillary's inevitable campaign.

The DNC can also be capable of exerting large amounts of influence over primary elections- seeing as, y'know, they run them- while miserable in the general. It's also clear where their priorities lie.

Like, corruption doesn't require competence, and in fact rarely does. If they really wanted to both get Bernie out and beat Trump, they'd have pushed Pete, Warren, or hell, even Amy. It's likely that every option they have now will massively damage the party's credibility and they're entirely relying on hoping Trump will somehow defeat himself- remember how that worked out last time? It's pretty clear which ones care more about party purity than winning elections.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 11, 2020

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

MrNemo posted:

I swear sometimes this thread is unrecognizable from a r/The_Donald thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This shouldn't have to be explained to people who spend time posting in a thread about American politics but "the Democrats are inept (whether on purpose or by being dumbasses) in fighting the right but close ranks when it comes to crushing the left" aren't contradictory positions.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 11, 2020