Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Facilities? As in the things you blow up with a bomb to reset the Avatar countdown? I can't recall any difference at all, except possibly having an Alien Ruler guarding it if you have that option explicitly enabled. Or randomly generating a Chosen/new enemy type?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

TheParadigm posted:

Real fast, what are the facility differences between WOTC and vanilla xcom2?

I'm coming back after a while, deciding if I want to unfuck my mod situation the lazy way, or also getting the x-pack and figuring out all the other stuff I had's new version.

If you mean Avenger facilities, the Advanced Warfare Center is gone, replaced by the infirmary and the Training Center. There's also the Resistance Ring facility. The Guerilla Tactics School has different upgrades now, just squad size and class-specific ones.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thanks!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

FredMSloniker posted:

I had to hunt down one last lousy chryssalid on the Gateway map. I played it carefully, though, and didn't have trouble. Also, apparently sound indicators only happen when you're within a certain distance of the pod now.

This happened to me so many times. Super annoying especially because by the end of that mission I've usually ran out of Battle Scanners. And since they activate+attack in the same turn, you have to be super careful and set everybody on overwatch. Ugh. I wish they patched this so the Chryssalid unburrow once you've activated the gate.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Once you know what that mission is you can just make someone have bladestorm and hellweave armor go minesweep

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

Real fast, what are the facility differences between WOTC and vanilla xcom2?

I'm coming back after a while, deciding if I want to unfuck my mod situation the lazy way, or also getting the x-pack and figuring out all the other stuff I had's new version.

Edit:
is it basically
+resistance ring, infirmary, and training center
- awc?

theres also the hero classes, chosen, the lost, more mission types and stuff.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If getting the expansion pack is in any way possible for you, do it. Don't even hesitate.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I've beaten this game multiple times a year or so ago and I've gotten the itch to come back and shoot aliens. What mods are recommended these days if I just want more stuff?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

Once you know what that mission is you can just make someone have bladestorm and hellweave armor go minesweep

This is worth some solid comedy on any mission with the Lost, and a soldier with Bladestorm :getin:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

TalonDemonKing posted:

I've beaten this game multiple times a year or so ago and I've gotten the itch to come back and shoot aliens. What mods are recommended these days if I just want more stuff?

The Warhammer 40k mod was surprisingly good if you want to really shake things up. More armored opponents that like to engage in melee, without charging and stunning you.

Tips:
The damage the new enemies do seems to be based on your soldiers having the armor that comes with the mod.
If somebody has the opportunity to learn Shred, take it.
Don't get Lost to Ork. Some of the orks get unreliable parries, exploding flamethrowers, etc. Along with the rocket launching wielding walker that can show up it just gets obnoxious.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

TalonDemonKing posted:

RealityMachina's mods are essentially a second xpac, though they can make the game significantly harder if you're not careful. Hold off on enabling extra hostile faction mods until you've got a decent backup squad, at least.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

reignofevil posted:

If getting the expansion pack is in any way possible for you, do it. Don't even hesitate.

I should probably avoid it until this whole shutdown thing is over. The reason I was asking is I had a handful of 'make extra slots for engineers to be useful in' and 'add scientist slots so they can do other stuff'

its a shame, my favorite class mod's been revoked and my game's sorta hosed. I have mods to work around it missing, but a few of my high-level team members just don't have a class - even with the correct mod re-applied with a new version.
Is there anything that allows a retraining from scratch?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 10, 2020

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

TheParadigm posted:

I should probably avoid it until this whole shutdown thing is over. The reason I was asking is I had a handful of 'make extra slots for engineers to be useful in' and 'add scientist slots so they can do other stuff'

its a shame, my favorite class mod's been revoked and my game's sorta hosed. I have mods to work around it missing, but a few of my high-level team members just don't have a class - even with the correct mod re-applied with a new version.
Is there anything that allows a retraining from scratch?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1370543410 - this adds additional console commands, like the convenient RebuildSelectedSoldierClass, which can let you specify a different class from a soldier's current one.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Exposure posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1370543410 - this adds additional console commands, like the convenient RebuildSelectedSoldierClass, which can let you specify a different class from a soldier's current one.

Thanks! Is there one for vanilla?

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

TheParadigm posted:

Thanks! Is there one for vanilla?

Not in the form of a console command, but there is a mod that changes the AWC to let you fully respec: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=772126371

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

thanks to ADVENT, I always post in the correct thread

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

reignofevil posted:

I was skeptical about the $40 price tag but it's well worth it. The amount of content added nearly makes this an entirely different game. I know I was scoffing at the difficulty upthread but actually it came to bite me in the rear end as things ramped up and actually the pressure the Chosen put on you on the overworld really does hurt. I got drat close to straight up losing before I scraped together enough resources to run two Facility missions and get myself back in a safe position.

Now I'm excited to stamp out that irritating Assassin for good.

Some of the balancing stuff is good, the Lost are an irritation to deal with, but it does attack one of my crutches in XCom Vanilla - using explosives as much as possible. The last month has been miserable because the Chosen put in one of their status effects that make the Lost appear on every map. It *sucks*. But its making me a better, more adaptable player.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
In terms of overall campaign difficulty, is a full squad wipe in June recoverable? I made the mistake of taking on one of the Chosen Missions way too early (Naturally it was only rated as 'Difficult') and I found myself down basically 80% of my Majors+Captains. This is on Veteran Difficulty and I am currently at the Mag+Predator armor stage of the game, but I have no clue if I've basically doomed the campaign for myself. I don't really want to keep playing if I've made it near impossible.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hey cool, we just had a conversation about that. I'm 100% confident that the campaign is recoverable for you, and if worst comes to pass, remember that mass rookies in WAR suits can float you, as long as you have a single guy on the team who can shoot.

Tell us how it goes!

edit: awwwwww

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 11, 2020

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Only time I would restart because of a squad wipe would be gatecrasher. The toys you get with rank are nice but your weapon levels are the most important factor. Push weapon techs and learn to play safer and you can recover even a bad wipe.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Decided to just delete the saves and not bother. I am not having fun with this.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Managed to survive long enough at 1 pip from Avatar to do the codex hack then the first avatar facility. Things sort of went swimmingly from there so now I’m at 3 pips of progress total, Berserker Queen dead, and two unlocked facilities + Warlock sanctum open. Just saw my first Andromedon and I imagine gatekeepers are soon to come, but it seems like I’ve got things in hand techwise.

I actually beat a long war campaign right before trying to Ironman WotC, and it’s making the latter feel ridiculously short by comparison. I’ve just unlocked plasma rifles, and it’s looking like I’ll have the final armor tier before my second avatar facility. As much as I think Long War made the campaign too long, I think they have a point in that the base game can be finished in probably 20-30 missions total. It just feels like the tech tree can be rushed so quickly the individual impact of a given tech is meaningless. Maybe I’m just a masochist.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Velius posted:

Managed to survive long enough at 1 pip from Avatar to do the codex hack then the first avatar facility. Things sort of went swimmingly from there so now I’m at 3 pips of progress total, Berserker Queen dead, and two unlocked facilities + Warlock sanctum open. Just saw my first Andromedon and I imagine gatekeepers are soon to come, but it seems like I’ve got things in hand techwise.

I actually beat a long war campaign right before trying to Ironman WotC, and it’s making the latter feel ridiculously short by comparison. I’ve just unlocked plasma rifles, and it’s looking like I’ll have the final armor tier before my second avatar facility. As much as I think Long War made the campaign too long, I think they have a point in that the base game can be finished in probably 20-30 missions total. It just feels like the tech tree can be rushed so quickly the individual impact of a given tech is meaningless. Maybe I’m just a masochist.

I'm kinda with you, but also I'm definitely a masochist as I played and liked both Long Wars, which is the videogame equivalent of just slamming my head in a door as a hobby.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Though I will ask, how aggressively should you expand the contact network? I would say that that after the first Blacksite, all the facilities are camped by alien rulers. It feels like I should be way beyond just the Americas by June.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 11, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
As long as you have the Avatar project under control, you’re expanding plenty fast enough.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Akratic Method posted:

I'm kinda with you, but also I'm definitely a masochist as I played and liked both Long Wars, which is the videogame equivalent of just slamming my head in a door as a hobby.

I think the parts of Long War I liked the most were the aliens getting new abilities as the war progressed, and the generally higher difficulty of tactical maps without it resorting to dumb stuff like the Rulers breaking the turn system. Getting to the later parts of WotC, even a Gatekeeper is easily neutered with a flash bang, and while the Chosen are potentially really rough a lot of the time they just waste their actions doing little. Or they one shot a guy who was behind full cover by grappling behind him. It’s too random and uncontrollable.

I think a weird part for me is also the general vibe of the game - the aliens won, we’re fighting a guerrilla war, but it never really seems like the aliens are actually doing anything with their control. We fly around with total impunity, the aliens never recapture regions we control, we can reverse engineer and build alien tech in a couple weeks with a team of seven people. Every mission has timers, but it feels way less rushed and desperate then it should. I think the tactical gameplay is fine, but there’s a weird sense that you could eliminate the entire “Aliens rule the world” part from the geoscape without making any difference in what missions you run or why you’re doing them.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Setting wise XCOM2 does not compare XCOM:EW

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 11, 2020

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

SpookyLizard posted:

Settinf wise XCOM2 does not compare XCOM:EW

It’s just weird, though. “The aliens won, your ragtag band is fighting back to retake the planet” is such a good hook. There’s precedent for how to play it, too, in games like Jagged Alliance. But then the strategic level game is just tooting around in the Avenger from place to place and occasionally fighting some aliens in a retaliation mission.

It feels a lot like UFO: Aftermath, where you basically retook zones of the planet from aliens, too. But in that game the alien zone of control was just an alien fungus, so it being not exactly reactive was sensical. I don’t know, maybe it’s because Long War was just ridiculously hard in the strategic layer that WotC feels goofy by comparison.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You're not wrong. XCOM2 and WOTC did a very good job, mechanics wise, of improving upon the formula, increasing replayability, and doing their best to mitigate the victory snowball. And while some of the new stuff works really good (I love the city scapes, I love the sort of abandoned suburbs, and I love Advent's weird black sites and train locations, which do a good job of conveying the aliens being up to some kind of sinister tomfuckery with the populace. There's new gear and plasma stuff that all looks pretty good, but it all pales to the old XCOM aesthetic, imo. The ballistics look a little better, but laser and plasma from EW > mag and beam plasma in XCOM2. I don't know what it is specifically, but it's the same thing with the armor. Ttian and Carapace armor are fantastic looking, and in XCOM2 Predator looks pretty okay, it's a nice mix of the regular armor being uparmored with the Predator Gear, but the new power armor looks like cheap poo poo compared to titan armor. But I digress, I'm getting into the aesthetics of it, which while still important, aren't exactly what we're talking about here.

The thing is, they're trying to avoid backwards progress. A lot of players don't like it, much like they don't like failure, even in systems where failure is supposed to be OK and recoverable. EW doesn't really have backwards progress, unless you botch a mission horrifically, a country secured with a satellite is always secured. In XCOM2 it's the same way. If you defend your resistance guys you'll never lose any networks. I think it helps to think of them that way too. You don't really control any territory in those areas, you just have those resistance factions giving you intel for missions and supplies. XCOM isn't really in a position to fight a full on revolution, you're more like a surviving black ops team running around and causing chaos, fomenting and stirring unrest. Which is kind of a shame, because actually playing it more like JA2, where you're actually securing portions of the map, having to split your focus between fighting aliens, expanding, researching, building your defenses, and fighting the avatar project would be really cool. Unfortunately, that's not really the case, and that's why ADVENT isn't more actively opposing you; you're not taking back anything, you're just a bunch of loons running around the woods and blowing stuff up and running back way. The Avenger being basically invisibly always rubbed me wrong the way though, unless I missed something about it being some kind of alien stealth ship.

You could also look at it that the Aliens aren't really focused on you. They're far more concerned with the Avatar project, hence when they mainly leave it up to Advent and then the Chosen. The Chosen who are all inherently failures.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
ARRRR I need help. I'm in vanilla xcom2. I love it but I'm at a stage where it feels impossible, this flying boss dude just shows up and completely wrecks my team every time, he moves every action, too, it's become crazy unfun

I just got plasma rifles too, like what do I need to do here. I got the Intel for the mission (downed ufo) I want to just evac and fail the other part of the mission because I can't take him on yet!

I was one pip away from the avatar project being done and I've knocked it down to I think just 4 pips, so I have time. Should I go try other things instead? This boss dude is going to keep coming after me in missions. He's the dude with jets on the bottom of him and a staff and he KEEPS GRABBING MY GUYS and bodyslamming them and it's so much more frustrating than fun.

What should I be doing here?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
In vanilla the best you can really do is use instant actions like lightning hands, layer special ammo types so that you are poisoning him and burning him at the same time, abuse the bladestorm promotion and most importantly spread your soldiers waaaaaay far apart. Grenaders with the promotion that give a plus to aim are also a great thing to bring. Good luck.

Edit- You don't have to kill him if you damage him enough he will run away.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
That’s one of the alien rulers. They suck a lot. Counters include disabling that DLC, cheating, poison and fire damage that hurts them every action, free action abilities like that sniper pistol skill and the axe throw, and disabling the DLC. The Archon is definitely the worst of the lot.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Damage you do on the bosses stacks over to the next time they show up, so do as much damage as you can and then bug out if you need to. He will also bug out if you inflict a certain amount of damage. You dont need to/cannot kill him in a single mission, grind him down over two or three. Thats why their health bars are so ridiculous.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Yeah, I know I need to bang him up a bit so hell leave. I DID manage to kill the first Avatar we met which took 3 pips away from the avatar project, which was a big deal, but yeah, this guy is a world-class bastard.

Thanks for the help, thread. Maybe I'll try a different squad.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Floodixor posted:

Yeah, I know I need to bang him up a bit so hell leave. I DID manage to kill the first Avatar we met which took 3 pips away from the avatar project, which was a big deal, but yeah, this guy is a world-class bastard.

Thanks for the help, thread. Maybe I'll try a different squad.

Some things to keep in mind: An activated alien ruler will not react to a preset Overwatch being triggered - so opening up with an Overwatch trap can be a good way to start. Also, the bodyslam (Icarus Drop) can be interrupted by any amount of damage - including fire or acid burn, or guaranteed damage like a weapon with a Stock. The area attack (Devastate) has a radius of 5 tiles, so keep that in mind when maneuvering your troops. And finally, remember that a Repeater can kill an Alien Ruler in one hit.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Also retreat back the way you came and lure him after you so you don't accidentally trigger any fresh pods.

On the upside you get a fully sick suit of armour for smashing him.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I’m so glad I uninstalled that dlc and never looked back

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Oh man, finally got the mission to infiltrate the Assassin's hideout and murdered the fucker. I don't know how intentional it was to make them so irritating, but god drat does it make it satisfying to kill them forever.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

TK-42-1 posted:

I’m so glad I uninstalled that dlc and never looked back

I installed a mod that adds clones of the rulers so I can fight them more :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Floodixor posted:

ARRRR I need help. I'm in vanilla xcom2. I love it but I'm at a stage where it feels impossible, this flying boss dude just shows up and completely wrecks my team every time, he moves every action, too, it's become crazy unfun

I just got plasma rifles too, like what do I need to do here. I got the Intel for the mission (downed ufo) I want to just evac and fail the other part of the mission because I can't take him on yet!

I was one pip away from the avatar project being done and I've knocked it down to I think just 4 pips, so I have time. Should I go try other things instead? This boss dude is going to keep coming after me in missions. He's the dude with jets on the bottom of him and a staff and he KEEPS GRABBING MY GUYS and bodyslamming them and it's so much more frustrating than fun.

What should I be doing here?

I"ve said it before and I'll say it again: Cheat. Stuff from the DLC is neat, but it's not worth the aggravation that is the alien rulers.There's a kill command in the console, but I kinda always preferred toggling UnlimitedActionPoints and venting some frustration by shotgunning it repeatedly in the face.

Mike N Eich posted:

Oh man, finally got the mission to infiltrate the Assassin's hideout and murdered the fucker. I don't know how intentional it was to make them so irritating, but god drat does it make it satisfying to kill them forever.

Knowing XCOM, it was incredibly intentional.