Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

shame on an IGA posted:

They kinda have, the republicans have been forcing them them blow a massive hole in their budget by overfunding their pension plan for about a decade as an effort to sabotage the one thing left people can point to and say the government does well

How Congress Manufactured A Postal Crisis

so seems like it would be an easy win for congress to unfuck it now. Say only 50 years in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ASAPI posted:

I almost had a "crack ping" moment from that and the drat malaria treatment poo poo.

Everyone has a friend that knows a guy who's brother is a doctor and it TOTALLY works.

I pointed out that if it was so good, NY would have less dead bodies. Then they claimed it wasn't from COVID. Now I'm waiting for it to be the dead are the 5G installers, who needed to be "disposed of" so it can come full circle.

Wasn't dumbshit talking about how great 5G was and how we needed to catch up to China recently

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm in florida. You can not get tested unless you can show you've been in contact with someone that has it, are sick enough to be admitted to the ER or have been out of the country. They're only counting covid deaths as those people that had a confirmed case and died. So if you have it and die in your home without being tested? Sucks to be you, heart attack/pneumonia is your COD.

It's going to work. 100%. I've been saying it for a while but this country is finished

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hell it already did just look at puerto rico after the hurricane

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

"The postal service is guaranteed by the constitution!" I continue to scream as the republicans effortlessly dismantle it and sell it's infrastructure to private interests. The dems shrug and look at their feet, paralyzed by a fatal dose of decorum

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

"The postal service is guaranteed by the constitution!" I continue to scream as the republicans effortlessly dismantle it and sell it's infrastructure to private interests. The dems shrug and look at their feet, paralyzed by a fatal dose of decorum

What are the odds on what happens to that pension fund when the services get privatized, anyway? 50/50 for "absorbed into the pork barrel fund" and "goes to whichever pump n' dump hedge firm buys out that part of the service, they declare bankruptcy and pillage it to pay the loans and bonuses they gave themselves"?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Arrath posted:

What are the odds on what happens to that pension fund when the services get privatized, anyway? 50/50 for "absorbed into the pork barrel fund" and "goes to whichever pump n' dump hedge firm buys out that part of the service, they declare bankruptcy and pillage it to pay the loans and bonuses they gave themselves"?

The Wall.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1248723786154872837?s=20

her twitter game is on point

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

That Works posted:

The 1st 2-3 weeks I have a philosophy prof come in and give some basic logic and rhetoric, introduce the class to logical fallacies etc. I give them a brief rundown of stats and how stats can be misused. I give a couple of lectures on immunology and vaccines and the other topics I try to have guest lectures by other professors in those fields. My intro lecture is on the earth being flat and then I work them through a bunch of examples of current flat earthers and explain Eratosthenes measurements.

Have you ever had a student feel personally attacked? Like a flat earth dude ends up taking your class and goes "well achtually..."

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Just looked at my bank account and TRUMP BUXXX are posting on Wednesday.

e: Added the appropriate extra XXX

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Defenestrategy posted:

Have you ever had a student feel personally attacked? Like a flat earth dude ends up taking your class and goes "well achtually..."

Thankfully no, but I talk up front about the possibility of going over potentially controversial material and ask them to privately reach out before we go further if they think it'll be an issue.

Re that death count

https://twitter.com/MarkLevineNYC/s...ingawful.com%2F

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

lmfao

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

That's some "baptising the dead into the faith to boost your own heaven-planet population" kind of poo poo

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

egyptian rat race posted:

That's some "baptising the dead into the faith to boost your own heaven-planet population" kind of poo poo

I get the feeling the "Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation" is just some weird scoreboard for boomers to point to when anyone criticizes capitalism.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wait now we're complaining about someone incentivizing the right NOT to underreport?

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Defenestrategy posted:

I get the feeling the "Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation" is just some weird scoreboard for boomers to point to when anyone criticizes capitalism.

This for sure. But goddamn

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Someone on the forums said that those victims of communism things tended to count people who weren't even born as victims so

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Someone on the forums said that those victims of communism things tended to count people who weren't even born as victims so

If they were being honest they'd be adding most of them to their "victims of capitalism" website since so much suffering in communist nations was a result of capitalist nations doing everything possible to cause suffering. Feel free to laugh at the idea of those nuts "being honest".

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

In a kind of similar vein, known dipshit Marc Thiessen, who used to be GWB and Rumsfeld’s speechwriter and never met someone he didn’t approve of torturing, is arguing that China be held responsible for COVID.

quote:

China must be held to account for its lies and obstruction. U.S. health-care workers and business owners recently filed the first lawsuits against the Chinese Communist Party for its complicity in this pandemic. Congress should help them and others by lifting China’s statutorily granted sovereign immunity and allowing the individuals and businesses harmed by China’s actions to sue Beijing for damages.

Creating an international incident sure would be a great way to distract from Trump’s mismanagement of the response and is definitely a serious thing by serious people who understand international law!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

This is a surprisingly good article about the rona and the effects it is having here

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120957323/coronavirus-what-is-fortress-new-zealand-going-to-look-like

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What's this I heard about the essential workers getting $25,000 over the next year? A couple of people I work with have said they heard something about it, but weren't sure of the details.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
There's a couple of essential worker benefits or pay type plans in congress at the moment. The one they are probably referring to is a senate democrat plan to include "up to" $25K in premium pay (salary dependent, industry/employer dependent) for certian "essential workers" in the next coronavirus stimulus bill. There is also a house republican plan to give tax holiday status to essential workers, primarily in the medical/nursing, public safety, first responder employee categories, similar to military tax waivers. Which depending on your salary could also be several thousand dollars.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

In a kind of similar vein, known dipshit Marc Thiessen, who used to be GWB and Rumsfeld’s speechwriter and never met someone he didn’t approve of torturing, is arguing that China be held responsible for COVID.

Creating an international incident sure would be a great way to distract from Trump’s mismanagement of the response and is definitely a serious thing by serious people who understand international law!

Someone do the trump emoji

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

BurningChrome posted:

Someone do the trump emoji

:sad:, :chaostrump:, or :chud:?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/9NKlyne.mp4

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

BigDave posted:

:sad:, :chaostrump:, or :chud:?

Heh

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Did anybody post this yet?

http://www.cpgear.com/create_products/Operation-Enduring-Clusterfuck-COVID-19-Patch?c=3182787&dp=2&n=207607023

What's the policy on morale patches these days?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm in a weird situation where I'm relieved my mom died last year and isn't living through this poo poo.

My father died in January, and I know how you feel. He passed away peacefully in his sleep, in his own home. Not having to worry about him, on top of everything else that's going on, is some small relief.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1248798780771704839

Jesus that's a thing

Not gonna lie, basically all of this year has felt like the montage for some lovely movie, starting with Trump nearly provoking a regional war with Iran to COVID to what's likely to be an economic depression even if we get clear of this being a stunningly large mass casualty event. Can't say that I really dig the trajectory our collective human experience has taken.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 11, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

https://twitter.com/GrantDubya/status/1248747218082967552?s=20

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

shame on an IGA posted:

They kinda have, the republicans have been forcing them them blow a massive hole in their budget by overfunding their pension plan for about a decade as an effort to sabotage the one thing left people can point to and say the government does well

How Congress Manufactured A Postal Crisis

I tried looking through GAO archives to get a feel of what was going on in 2006. There was a repurchasing restructure then that wouldn't have caused it on its own, but the Comptroller was looking at the numbers saying, "Yo, this poo poo is whack."*

I'm guessing he got through to Congress, but only for about thirty minutes--long enough to go overboard on USPS, but nobody else and not long enough to stop 2008.

Some claims from comptroller reports that look startling:

Expected expenses doubling anticipated revenue by 2040.
Debt per capita to exceed GDP per capita by 2030

https://www.gao.gov/assets/80/78143.pdf

Percent of income as disposable had dipped below 0 (i.e. debt was required).
https://www.gao.gov/assets/80/77527.pdf

Things were looking pretty bad then, I wonder how things have gotten since then?

https://www.gao.gov/about/press-center/press-releases/government_fiscal_path.htm
PBGC who insures private-sector Defined Benefit pensions runs out of money for multi-employer benefits in 2025.
Medicare Hospital Insurance Trust Fund runs out in 2026
"Net cost totaled $5.1 trillion in fiscal year 2019"
"The 2019 Financial Report also reported total liabilities of $26.9 trillion at the end of fiscal year 2019, an increase from $25.4 trillion at the end of fiscal year 2018"
" Publicly held debt as a share of GDP peaked at 106 percent just after World War II (in 1946) but then fell rapidly [...] By the end of fiscal year 2019, the debt had climbed to 79 percent of GDP. By comparison, debt has averaged 46 percent of GDP since 1946. If current trends continue, the debt as a share of GDP in 2050 will be nearly twice its 1946 level and about four times its post-World War II average."

Huh.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

ahhhhHHHHhhhHHHhh

https://twitter.com/Archivist1000/status/1248820610102218757

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

piL posted:

Expected expenses doubling anticipated revenue by 2040.
Debt per capita to exceed GDP per capita by 2030

https://www.gao.gov/assets/80/78143.pdf

Percent of income as disposable had dipped below 0 (i.e. debt was required).
https://www.gao.gov/assets/80/77527.pdf

Things were looking pretty bad then, I wonder how things have gotten since then?

https://www.gao.gov/about/press-center/press-releases/government_fiscal_path.htm
PBGC who insures private-sector Defined Benefit pensions runs out of money for multi-employer benefits in 2025.
Medicare Hospital Insurance Trust Fund runs out in 2026
"Net cost totaled $5.1 trillion in fiscal year 2019"
"The 2019 Financial Report also reported total liabilities of $26.9 trillion at the end of fiscal year 2019, an increase from $25.4 trillion at the end of fiscal year 2018"
" Publicly held debt as a share of GDP peaked at 106 percent just after World War II (in 1946) but then fell rapidly [...] By the end of fiscal year 2019, the debt had climbed to 79 percent of GDP. By comparison, debt has averaged 46 percent of GDP since 1946. If current trends continue, the debt as a share of GDP in 2050 will be nearly twice its 1946 level and about four times its post-World War II average."

Now you see why the best plan for the future is a death cult!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Michigan's state Senate majority leader

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
with any luck they won't have a ventilator for him

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/jkass99/status/1248953885198172160?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Michigan's state Senate majority leader

The rural areas think they're going to be fine to reopen, but it never occurs to them how we still don't have a loving clue where the virus is, who has had it already, and who can't get it. Not to mention the extreme lack of hospital capacity in those rural areas!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

The rural areas think they're going to be fine to reopen, but it never occurs to them how we still don't have a loving clue where the virus is, who has had it already, and who can't get it. Not to mention the extreme lack of hospital capacity in those rural areas!

My parents, brother, and his family are still in rural MI and I am pleased that, although my brother thought it was "just the flu", they all seem to be stopped going anywhere besides home and their property

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Guys we did it. The USA is #1 again.

In Covid-19 deaths.