Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
New miners are like different sizes so you kinda gotta remake everything or if you're future proofing build stuff a little farther away I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Freaksaus posted:

How do people tend to handle hooking up new miners to their existing stuff? I like having skybridges everywhere, but having to build downwards to make sure foundations align is quite a pain. I've mostly been making towers, using inner walls with conveyors in them but they take quite a while to setup. Building up is so much easier.

Foundation blocks can in fact overlap so if you’re willing to sacrifice 100% alignment you can in fact just build the connecting bit from the bottom up and mesh it with the underside of your bridge. Bring a conveyor elevator up to the right height, build a conveyor pole on the bridge, link the two with a conveyor belt.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Freaksaus posted:

Another big reason to explore for those hard drives are the random materials spread around the wrecks. A few computers, Heavy Modular Frames or even motors can really help early on. Either with hub upgrades, unlocking other hard drives or getting a bunch of awesome points.

I've sadly gotten stiffed on many of the 'upgrades' the hard drives produce. Take my most recent one for example (I restarted so I could do a whoooole bunch of stuff better) :

Choice #1 was the Bolted Iron Plate (Boosts your reinforced plate production from 5/min by default to 15/min).
Choice #2 was the Copper Alloy Ingot (Boosts copper ingot from forges to 100/min instead of 30).
Choice #3 was Wet Concrete.

Since I already have the PERFECT copper setup that uses exactly 60 copper/min I don't want to redo everything for the alloy ingot. I'm already practially swimming in Concrete and my AWESOME Sink can't scrap it fast enough, so #1 was the only choice. The only problem there is that the recipe uses 250 screws/min and my current Level 2 conveyors carry 120/min max, so I'd have to manually restock the assembler to use it as efficiently as it could be used. I do need more plates, but only for upgrading conveyors. Once I get level 3 conveyors to transport enough screws I'll be swimming in plates from upgrading the level 2's and won't need nearly as many, so the extra production is mostly a waste.

I love the power slugs because I can customize my buildings to work at the exact rate so they consume the exact amount they're given without waste. That's why I like power slugs. By default your constructors will make 15 iron rods per min, but consume 10 rods per min to turn them into 40 screws. Which means there ends up being a pile up behind the screw constructor, and your conveyor's only working at 2/3rds capacity. Give each of your screw constructors 1 power cell and boom. 15 in, 15 consumed, 60 screws out, exactly the number that a conveyor can convey.

Yes I get particular about this, it's probably some form of OCD but I don't care because it's all perfectly balanced and working exactly as I want it to.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

khy posted:

I've sadly gotten stiffed on many of the 'upgrades' the hard drives produce. Take my most recent one for example (I restarted so I could do a whoooole bunch of stuff better) :

Choice #1 was the Bolted Iron Plate (Boosts your reinforced plate production from 5/min by default to 15/min).
Choice #2 was the Copper Alloy Ingot (Boosts copper ingot from forges to 100/min instead of 30).
Choice #3 was Wet Concrete.

Since I already have the PERFECT copper setup that uses exactly 60 copper/min I don't want to redo everything for the alloy ingot. I'm already practially swimming in Concrete and my AWESOME Sink can't scrap it fast enough, so #1 was the only choice. The only problem there is that the recipe uses 250 screws/min and my current Level 2 conveyors carry 120/min max, so I'd have to manually restock the assembler to use it as efficiently as it could be used. I do need more plates, but only for upgrading conveyors. Once I get level 3 conveyors to transport enough screws I'll be swimming in plates from upgrading the level 2's and won't need nearly as many, so the extra production is mostly a waste.

I love the power slugs because I can customize my buildings to work at the exact rate so they consume the exact amount they're given without waste. That's why I like power slugs. By default your constructors will make 15 iron rods per min, but consume 10 rods per min to turn them into 40 screws. Which means there ends up being a pile up behind the screw constructor, and your conveyor's only working at 2/3rds capacity. Give each of your screw constructors 1 power cell and boom. 15 in, 15 consumed, 60 screws out, exactly the number that a conveyor can convey.

Yes I get particular about this, it's probably some form of OCD but I don't care because it's all perfectly balanced and working exactly as I want it to.

#1 isn't useful before you get access to t3 belts, but once you do it'll pay off big. I love it combined with the one that lets you make frames out of screws and 7.5/m reinforced plates, y'know exactly half the 15/m you get with bolted iron plates. Throw in the one that lets you cast screws from iron ingots and you're making modular frames out of iron plates and screws only; no iron rods at any point in the process.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Part of the reason to suggest going hard drive hunting early is that you don't have a lot to gain from ripping up stakes even for a numerically better recipe. Unless you are going for the theoretical max awesome point map you usually have more raw materials than you would ever want to deal with and "better" becomes something you only worry about at set up or debottlenecking.

The other thing that some people will be more or less receptive is that you don't need a monolithic home base and mall. A lot of the recipes are side grades or down grades in resource efficiency but make it simpler to make an outpost that cranks them out. Copper and iron are everywhere and coal (and oil with a few handy alternate recipes) usually not far so you can have multiple malls, not least of which one in each of the start biomes and have access up to encased beams, modular frames, and even motors or reinforced frames. There's a lot of good inefficient except for quick outposting recipes for all these tiers that you'd never run in a central factory but make it easy to throw up a quick and dirty source so you don't have run to home base when you need an extra 10 ft of mk3 belt.

Ratioing with shards is tempting, but space is unlimited as soon as you understand you can build up nearly forever and power doesn't become unlimited until the actual end of the game. IMO build extra and clock down for best energy efficiency while maintaining maximum OCD ratios. And before you get trains to really move poo poo around the map I was far more interested in sharding my miners. Not that I was about to run out or anything but they create more raw material instead of just process it in a smaller space and it's an easy mental win of more = better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I agree that getting power slugs and unlocking overclocking is mostly beneficial for the ability to underclock to match the output to another machine. If you compare one overclocked constructor and two underclocked constructor so the two setups use the same amount of power, the two constructors will output more items.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I like my conveyors always backed up, builds character!

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
I completed my power plant I HAVE ALLL THE Power!!

Here is the plant

From the back standing on the waste storage

Pipes

There used to be a lake here

Edit thanks Cojawfee

Mynameismud fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 8, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Right click the picture > copy image address > paste into post, which automatically adds img tags > change the tags to timg if the pictures are really big.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mynameismud posted:

I completed my power plant I HAVE ALLL THE Power!!

This rules, I like how you get down in there and it's like smog city, the smell of PROGRESS!

someone built a 1TW setup

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 8, 2020

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

This rules, I like how you get down in there and it's like smog city, the smell of PROGRESS!

The smog/fog caused me a silly death
It becomes so thick that you cannot see the floor anymore, I learned to use the compas to navigate your way out.
But the first time is was building the floor, podcast on not paying attention
Fog blinded me and I did not know what to do.
Took one step and fell down .

Confused, took a lot of damage but still alive, looked around... and then a big spider ate my face.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Trying to get tractors or trucks autopiloting 2.5km from my hub area to my oil refinery and back with plastic & rubber is proving to be a fool's errand. even out of sight these things get stuck so easily, and I'm not even counting running out of fuel due to power losses here

automating circuit boards etc is gonna be a loving nightmare until I can get trains, huh :cripes:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My first computer factory is up the ridge from the oil for that reason. I was personally the mule that took them into the hub for research purposes. Through hypertubes of course.

I promise there's copper and iron nearby your oil, I didn't auto-move plastic or rubber near the space elevator and hub until I had trains and was setting up space elevator products.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I keep thinking of refactoring my original base area to be more efficient with hard drives and better conveyors and whatnot and then I remember that every single crate got filled up to capacity while I was off making manufacturers for heavy modular frames and computers and I have functionally infinite quantities of every assembled good I have access to with the possible exception of encased industrial beams

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Trying to get tractors or trucks autopiloting 2.5km from my hub area to my oil refinery and back with plastic & rubber is proving to be a fool's errand. even out of sight these things get stuck so easily, and I'm not even counting running out of fuel due to power losses here

automating circuit boards etc is gonna be a loving nightmare until I can get trains, huh :cripes:

the time you spend building a road out there, you might as well pop down conveyor on the way back...also, seriously do the hyper tube rail gun to travel back and forth, it's worth it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I have been a big proponent of trucks, mainly because I think it's a lot more fun to set a truck trundling about than it is so just have a massive conveyor through the wilderness. And we play this game for fun, right? They're perfectly efficient if they're set up right, so it's not like you're sacrificing efficiency for aesthetics- you're just dealing with a slightly fiddly setup for something cool and satisfying.

They're also pretty resilient if you set them up well and let them do their thing- as mentioned a bunch of their pathing is abstracted when you're not watching. I actually set up a train line on top of an operating coal truck, and as I went back and forth I saw it stuck in the tracks in different places each time I went by, and when I was away the coal kept flowing, even though I had made the route impassible with the way I put the tracks down.

So I have generally been of the opinion that there's nothing wrong with using vehicles, and complaints about them are overblown.

I have since slightly cooled on trucks, and have slightly more sympathy for people who just have no patience for them. I was setting up an aluminum production center in my oil base, a location that had everything but copper already set up, and there was copper a couple kilometers away. So even though I had the tech for trains and no shortage of resources, I thought it'd be fun to set up a truck to get the copper. It was just down the coast- flat all the way. An almost unique late game situation where a truck made sense.

I set everything up, programmed the truck and... it shot off at an impossible speed straight into the jungle, directly away from its destination.

I know how to set up trucks, I've done it dozens of times, there was no obvious mistake on my part. It just... hosed off.

The truck was still on the radar though, so I figured I'd try to fix it. I went on a long quest through the pink jungle in the center of the map to find the truck. I fought desperate battles against fierce monsters and saw wonders I hadn't known existed. Eventually I found my way to the location of the truck, according to my radar... and it wasn't there. Checked high and low, wondering if there was a cave below me or something, but eventually I concluded it must be below the world, forever out of reach.

So I made a train to pick up the copper.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For people who are getting their trucks stuck, how did you set up the route? Did you set it up in a way where you were driving over weird poo poo that barely worked? I've only set up a tractor route once, but it involved driving up a 1 wide ramp to the top of a pillar to a coal node and I never had any issues because I set up the route in a way that gave the tractor plenty of leeway to get set up for the ramp and the terrain it had to go over.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The only issues I've had with wheeled vehicles is sometimes trucks fire themselves off into space if they hit a bump just right and one instance of a tractor sliding off into the void as soon as I turned on autopilot. I haven't had any issues of a truck running a route that was working fine suddenly encounter a problem.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
truck stations seemed to be bugged in multiplayer where when you feed items into the fuel input they just disappear forever instead of being added to fuel storage. If you have a truck actively right there it'll put the fuel into it but no surplus will save up while the truck is away

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I had a truck run out of fuel when I wasn't around in multiplayer and when I refueled it, it promptly drove forward, took a hard right, and threw itself off the bridge I built for it.

When I went to go check on it and fix the issue the truck was just at the next stop like nothing had ever happened. Trucks are magical, just set them up and they work.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glagha posted:

I had a truck run out of fuel when I wasn't around in multiplayer and when I refueled it, it promptly drove forward, took a hard right, and threw itself off the bridge I built for it.

When I went to go check on it and fix the issue the truck was just at the next stop like nothing had ever happened. Trucks are magical, just set them up and they work.

It's the running out of fuel part that chaps my arse, personally - first time because I wasn't sinking excess side-outputs and production stopped do the truck station ran dry; second time because i ran out of power and same thing while I spent 20 minutes expanding capacity

Except for short routes just on the edge of bothering with a belt, I'm gonna give up on vehicle logistics until I get trains unlocked because a) I can produce rubber products on-site with nearish coal and iron nodes; and b) because I finished researching jetpacks so I could

LifeSunDeath posted:

seriously do the hyper tube rail gun to travel back and forth, it's worth it.

This is 100% correct, holy crap :stare: no other mode of travel is remotely worth the time anymore. Just yeet myself within 45 degrees of my destination and my magical air control powers plus jetpack gets me anywhere in a blink while I sip my coffee. I love this drat game :allears:

And bonus, now I know how to use tubes as scaffolding while building tall! :v:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

So I'm waffling on if I want trains or a hypertube for this. Basically I have a main base with poo poo all conveyored in and arranged in nice orderly bins for everything up to and including heavy modular frames. Then there's a second base near some oil to do all the poo poo oil can do; rubber, plastic etc up to and including supercomputers. Would a train that hauls like 9 different products be a big hassle? Is just setting up a tube between the two malls a better idea? The supercomputer factory is a bit far away to build another product stack of conveyors like I did with the steel mill and its products.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

This is 100% correct, holy crap :stare: no other mode of travel is remotely worth the time anymore. Just yeet myself within 45 degrees of my destination and my magical air control powers plus jetpack gets me anywhere in a blink while I sip my coffee. I love this drat game :allears:

HAH! I really hope they don't take it out of the game, it's just enough of a pain in the rear end to set up and requires enough power that you should be rewarded for doing it. Now I'm looking forward to being able to free rotate objects on foundations so I can aim the thing better.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

HAH! I really hope they don't take it out of the game, it's just enough of a pain in the rear end to set up and requires enough power that you should be rewarded for doing it. Now I'm looking forward to being able to free rotate objects on foundations so I can aim the thing better.

Entirely agreed. That truck fuel problem from power loss I alluded to above? Guess why I lost power :v: Pretty clear sign from above what I should be doing, that sort of thing

And yeah being limited to 90 degree snap is limiting sometimes - it should be the default for sure, but toggleable 45 degree (30?15?10?) snap would be great. (As would roads better than Foundations. Tractors crossing the landscape with goods is cool, they're just a pain in the rear end, and they deserve proper roads dammit)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 9, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Entirely agreed. That truck fuel problem from power loss I alluded to above? Guess why I lost power :v: Pretty clear sign from above what I should be doing, that sort of thing

And yeah being limited to 90 degree snap is limiting sometimes - it should be the default for sure, but toggleable 45 degree (30?15?10?) snap would be great. (As would roads better than Foundations. Tractors crossing the landscape with goods is cool, they're just a pain in the rear end, and they deserve proper roads dammit)

Oh drat imagine rad freeways with train lines running in the middle and on/off ramps!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

Oh drat imagine rad freeways with train lines running in the middle and on/off ramps!

:circlefap:

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

chairface posted:

So I'm waffling on if I want trains or a hypertube for this. Basically I have a main base with poo poo all conveyored in and arranged in nice orderly bins for everything up to and including heavy modular frames. Then there's a second base near some oil to do all the poo poo oil can do; rubber, plastic etc up to and including supercomputers. Would a train that hauls like 9 different products be a big hassle? Is just setting up a tube between the two malls a better idea? The supercomputer factory is a bit far away to build another product stack of conveyors like I did with the steel mill and its products.

I think that's basically the point of trains, to transport higher tier products from distant factories to where you need them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The only "hard" thing about trains is computers and the heavy frames for the stations and trains themselves so if you have supercomputers going you probably can build more trains stuff than you know what to do with. The rails are very affordable.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Don't forget that you can also fine-tune railgun aiming by plopping down a foundation that isn't snapped to your other foundations. Then build your final launching ring on that.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Are there any people on youtube who play this game and are actually good? Every one I find to get information or inspiration is really obnoxious.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Only one I'm following is ImKibitz and I'm often tempted to drop his series. He''s skilled, understands and analyzes the game mechanics, does really good editing, comes off as excited to play the game and show it off, and his speak ranges from cliché to obnoxious, only occasionally dropping into serious.
Everyone else I've seen has had either poor editing, poor understanding of game mechanics, or felt like they were belittling the viewer.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

That's exactly who I had in mind. He does great stuff and explains things well, but he has some very obnoxious tics, brother

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I like Bentham (MangledPork Gaming on youtube) as far as semiserious content goes - his latest content is all multiplayer streams with the expected banter, though, and hasn't had one for Satisfactory in a month anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcsLb6F8NL4

There's also Let's Game It Out on Youtube, but idk if I'd say he's good per se... top comment stating "I've never seen someone so dedicated to do something so wrong" says it all, more or less

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2X3wlvoShg

(This video is pro-click zone btw because the Yeet Cannon/Hypertube Railgun/whatever you want to call it is a fantastically useful mode of travel once you can survive it)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Naylenas posted:

Are there any people on youtube who play this game and are actually good? Every one I find to get information or inspiration is really obnoxious.

Figure it's a problem with youtube creators in general...went over and checked twitch and there's plenty of people watching satisfactory, but it's all in german :(

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I haven't had much luck with good, consistent content there. I found a pretty chill dude streaming pretty regularly though. He seems to have a massive railway network around the world and I've liked having it on in the background during work.

https://www.twitch.tv/scanvoice

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You can become a youtube allstar if you start streaming satisfactory and aren't terrible.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Grindthisgame is is good, nilaus maybe

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

M_Gargantua posted:

You can become a youtube allstar if you start streaming satisfactory and aren't terrible.

Intriguing, but I really do sound like Kermit the Frog, so I’m out by default

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I finally got heavy modular frames and computers automated just enough to get fuel generators unlocked and one built. Free, free from the tyranny of coalgens and their liquid+solid input :allears:

That said I'm sort of tempted to start over now; I know I could just deke everything and move but I kind of want to see how much better things go with everything I've learned over the past oh my god 100 hours.

That and the south grasslands start sucks butt for getting to oil and quartz, I literally still cannot build even crystal oscillators :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Ciaphas posted:

I finally got heavy modular frames and computers automated just enough to get fuel generators unlocked and one built. Free, free from the tyranny of coalgens and their liquid+solid input :allears:

That said I'm sort of tempted to start over now; I know I could just deke everything and move but I kind of want to see how much better things go with everything I've learned over the past oh my god 100 hours.

That and the south grasslands start sucks butt for getting to oil and quartz, I literally still cannot build even crystal oscillators :negative:

Take a pocketful of manufacturing materials, build a power line out from your base towards a decent quartz site, and build your manufactory there. Conveyors to ship it back.