Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Sun front page is insane, as in I genuinely think the people responsible for it are severely mentally ill:

Like, I think it’s undeniable that there is part of that that is the paper (and by extension what the public assumed the public believe) is literally calling Johnson “babe”. And the idea that anyone in the whole country is in any way invested in these two people’s relationship - including the couple themselves- is fundamentally bizarre. Who is this even for? Plenty of idiots like Boris, but this is acting like he’s Princess Diana or something.

I think my favourite part here is having this hagiography of a front page also prominently feature the death toll which Saint Boris of Pfeffel is in large part personally culpable for.

E; it's going to be a hot minute before only 121 people die from covid in this country in one day again

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

hey cmon they also have the woman who recently shared an anti-5G petition on Twitter too

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

lol the journalists are losing their minds

https://twitter.com/agirlcalledlina/status/1248612484736401415?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Remember when he promoted a Nazi conspiracy theory?

And edited his own Wikipedia page to delete coverage of it. Another "SA rules the world" data point, the wikifiddler leading the charge to put it back and keep it there was David Gerard, aka divabot (although David's one of those people who's somehow a regular poster on literally every website on the internet - I had arguments with him on Usenet when SA was still a twinkle in Lowtax's spine - so we can't take 100% credit for him)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah Krakatoa is erupting, to add to the plague and the locusts and everything else.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Another 12 hours because that dickhead made sure I couldn’t go protected and sat there at 9.59pm with the report post box open.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Katty! posted:

went to the shop earlier on and everyone was very good about queuing outside and toeing the big yellow lines, though as soon as you actually get indoors the big arrows may as well not exist and any attempt to maintain distance is foiled by people taking up half an aisle with their trolley as they paw through all the tinned tomatoes for 15 minutes

This social distancing thing has really highlighted to me the people in supermarkets who stop, block the aisle and just stare at a random selection of goods for an extraordinary length of time. What are they thinking about? It is a mystery.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh yeah Krakatoa is erupting, to add to the plague and the locusts and everything else.

Chernobyl’s on fire, so that’s fun.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 11, 2020

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If it’s an old person then it’s the fourth supermarket they have been in that week and they have a price checking list in their own head.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If its me it's because I'm stoned and trying to remember what I came for.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Starmer's full comments, for the record:

quote:

“I do support Zionism. I said that last night. I absolutely support the right of Israel to exist as a homeland.”

“My only concern is that Zionism can mean slightly different things to different people, and as Lisa [Nandy] said, to some extent it has been weaponised. I wouldn’t read too much into that. I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.”

This is not controversial among the rather large portion of the population who's never waved a Palestinian flag or worn a keffiyeh. What was that the Ashcroft focus groups were saying about Labour only being interested in talking to itself?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Trin Tragula posted:

This is not controversial among the rather large portion of the population who's never waved a Palestinian flag or worn a keffiyeh. What was that the Ashcroft focus groups were saying about Labour only being interested in talking to itself?

People don't give a poo poo about Israel but I guess let's ignore apartheid anyway

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Pistol_Pete posted:

This social distancing thing has really highlighted to me the people in supermarkets who stop, block the aisle and just stare at a random selection of goods for an extraordinary length of time. What are they thinking about? It is a mystery.

It's a trap, they are waiting for you to say excuse me so they can exchange a small social pleasantry and possibly try and engage you in conversation

Some folk see supermarkets as social events even now

That or they are just really high and zoned out looking at the stuffed olives, I mean mea culpa on that one

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
If it's me, I'm just looking for what I'm looking for. I'm really bad at spotting it immediately, I have to do the shelf scan while muttering "sweetcorn, sweetcorn, no that's peas, pasta sauce, soup...ah!sweetcorn!"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

keep punching joe posted:

If its me it's because I'm stoned and trying to remember what I came for.

This, or if someone else asked me to buy something without being specific then I'm having an anxiety attack trying to decide which tiny variation they meant.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Pistol_Pete posted:

What are they thinking about? It is a mystery.

Do I need this? I know I needed something. Was it this? What could it have been? It was something I don't need often, but what?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Obi wan : that boy was our last hope.

Yoda: no, there is another.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNewsUK/status/1248873745084747776?s=19

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNewsUK/status/1248874365791371267

:thumbsup:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dead in his house
Dead in his house
Gonna find a cummy boy dead in his house

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/uk-will-be-europes-worst-hit-by-coronavirus-study-predicts

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It'd be very in character for Cummies to decide he was going to beat this virus with sheer strength of will and subsequently gently caress it up.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

I’m side eye looking at the weirdo following me

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

good news for the herd immunity plan

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1248672090611466252?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I stand the opposite side of the aisle to the goods I'm looking at - I might be surveying all the different biscuits or whatever to decide which to buy given my constraints (eg I might have 500 calories 'to spend' on something nice, so am surveying all the biscuits to choose between the various 100g packs (approx 500 cals/100g of biscuits) or whether I should test my willpower by buying a larger pack and expecting to eat some today, some tomorrow and some the day after (the answer being no - the quantum of biscuits is the packet).
It's easier to stand in one place to get a wide angle view and see a selection across several bays without having to move around rather than trying to peer close up and having to move up and down the aisle. Ed: especially for things on the lower shelves which for a tall person with a back inclined to 'go' at the slightest provocation).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 11, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

The more likely explanation is that the negative tests were erroneous, but it does highlight just how fast and loose we're playing with our shorter-than-recommended quarantine period for symptomatic cases that the virus is still around in detectable amounts up to three weeks after the symptoms resolve.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/lslothuus/status/1248732150255452160?s=20

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Harsh but fair.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trin Tragula posted:

Someone should ask him if Afrikaners deserve a homeland.

Also if Britain should apologise for trying to genocide them.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Ok will do. That's interesting, I only just thought about it when my phone wanted me to read a story about how insurers are about to see a billion pound windfall from underutilized cars still being proper insured.

The company I work for has a tool for bodyshops to report insurance cases to insurances (not in the UK). At the start of this week the volume was down about a third compared to February. I can’t give a year-over-year number since the volume in total is still growing and we’re adding new insurances and bodyshops.

Partially this is from some bodyshops being closed, partially this is obviously from less people driving around, partially from people not bringing in small damages cause they want to have their car available in these times.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Dominic currently hiding in an airtight flat, lining the walls with tinfoil and refusing to take any calls in case the virus transmits via spoken language

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

farenheit451 posted:

[delurk]
Given that we don't test/scan/quarantine arrivals from our airports (at least in England), and these places handle tens of thousands of passengers per day, and that our airports remain open, how does the thread feel how effective the stay-at-home policy will actually be?

I'm starting to think the entire thing (closing of things, prohibition of sunbathing, even the 2m distance) is just theatre.

Places like Taiwan have got on top of this. 5 deaths? How accurate is that. Places like that stopped all incoming flights didn't they? Or made arrivals having at least 14 day isolation mandatory.
[/lurk]
Testing and scanning at airports doesn’t really help much due to the long asymptomatic period - to cut off infections from that vector you’d need to implement a full quarantine like China. For anything short of that, the result is a linear growth of undetected cases. In the very early or very late stages that’s a big deal, because it’s the difference between having an outbreak/resurgence and not having one, but when you’ve already got a massive outbreak it’s irrelevant. Either the stay-at-home measures in place are already enough to stop exponential growth, in which case arrivals from the airport are still subject to those measures so you’re fine, or the number of cases is growing exponentially, in which case adding some small linear growth is throwing a few drops of kerosene onto a raging fire - it might technically be better if it didn’t happen, but realistically it’s not going to make any difference to the outcome.

By contrast, all the stay-at-home stuff is intended to make every person who gets the virus give it to fewer people. That massively slows down the growth rate of the infection. If you’re lucky it slows down enough that on average each infected person infects fewer than one other person, in which case the outbreak shifts from exponential growth to exponential decay and you’ve successfully avoided the herd immunity scenario where 80% of the country get it. But even if you’re not lucky, you still slow things down enough that fewer people have it at once at the peak and the country gets a little less hosed than it otherwise would.

The big problem is not that we’ve kept the airports open - as long as you’ve banned non-essential travel, and as long as the outbreak’s still going, it genuinely doesn’t make sense to close them yet. The big problem is that our stay-at-home measures are lukewarm poo poo with unclear rules and uneven enforcement. It’s basically enforced by the honour system, and a whole lot of non-essential workplaces are still open and still requiring their employees to come in. Right now I’m fairly sure we’re still on track for most of the country to get this thing, with the aging tories spreading it far and wide in one final act of spite towards their descendants.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Angepain posted:

Dominic currently hiding in an airtight flat, lining the walls with tinfoil and refusing to take any calls in case the virus transmits via spoken language

Dom reading and re-reading Snow Crash and building a map of possible theories out of twine.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Dominic will come out of his quarantine with a perfect plan to finally kill the coronavirus, but he will only explain it in a novel conlang consisting only of prepositions which he claims expands human brain capacity by 34%

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Pistol_Pete posted:

With me it was looking at the shampoos going "where the hell is No More Tears?"

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The finest and only UKMT podcast is back again with your Easter treat! Enjoy safely indoors.

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1248894639865835520?s=19

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I was wondering, with the UK looking to be one of the worst affected European countries at this point, how will this play politically? Like I get whatever excuses but surely even the most ardent conservatives will look at the fact that you are an island, had a good month on Italy and still walked into this?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

teacup posted:

I was wondering, with the UK looking to be one of the worst affected European countries at this point, how will this play politically? Like I get whatever excuses but surely even the most ardent conservatives will look at the fact that you are an island, had a good month on Italy and still walked into this?

STOP TALKING DOWN BRITANE

That'll be it.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

teacup posted:

No, but you see, our fair and precious leader, our "babe" Boris Johnson has recovered from the terrors of COVID-19 which has been inflicted by those horrible people in China, we will keep moving forward with our stiff upper lip held high.

(The Tories don't give a poo poo until it actually affects them personally)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The main thing I've noticed when going to the supermarket is that people are happy obeying the two metre rule while queueing... But on the way to the queue will walk directly past everyone, because there's a barrier in between them.

I'd laugh it off as one of those blind spots people have if wasn't going to kill shitloads of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

Someone should ask him if Afrikaners deserve a homeland.

Also if Britain should apologise for trying to genocide them.

The official Labour party position remains that the party is committed to two-state solution, achieved via peaceful negotiations, that lead to a secure Israel and a viable Palestine, so Starmer has plenty of party ground to stand on here. The first thing that the ANC did in the peace negotiations was agree to suspend the armed struggle and disarm (in practice they retreated to Uganda and Tanzania, but nonetheless the disarmament was effective: the attacks stopped. The inability of any Palestinian leadership to enforce any disarmament it theoretically agrees to is the big I/P sticking point)

Composite 12 passed last year at Conference tried to smuggle in a big asterisk to the two state solution (it demanded a 1967 borders Israel with Palestinian right of return, i.e., tacitly for two states both with a Palestinian majority, assuming the third generation in Jordan does want to migrate back) but even its cautious phrasing got immediately discarded at the subsequent Clause V manifesto meeting, which reverted to the Milibandesque language