Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He came out and danced with them, and they built an angle around him attacking their opponents and stuff. It was a whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

her gimmick in wcw was jumping on a trampoline at ringside i presume this was contemporaneous with 'the man show' but i will not investigate further

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Super No Vacancy posted:

her gimmick in wcw was jumping on a trampoline at ringside i presume this was contemporaneous with 'the man show' but i will not investigate further
This lasted all of a week when Russo brought back Sullivan, Rick Steiner, and Rotunda as The Varsity Club.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tank Abbot was obsessed with 3 Count and brought his own square so he could do their dance with them on their circles and they hated him until they finally accepted that it was a benefit to have a dumb monster who would beat people up for you.

The Yung Dragons were 3 Count's arch rivals (when they weren't paid by the Cat to jump him to train him as a ninja). Leia Meow was at some point or another their dominatrix valet.

Jamie-San was unmasked as a redneck and 3 Count turned on Evan Karagias allowing the two guys who fit the least to team up so they could do 3 way tag ladder matches. I don't even think they had anything hanging. I think they just did ladder matches.

I loved 3 Count and the Yung Dragons.

And yeah, then Kimona/Leia was the valet for the Varsity Club. Which was somehow weirder and sadder than the rest of what I said.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

The Yung Dragons were 3 Count's arch rivals (when they weren't paid by the Cat to jump him to train him as a ninja).
Russo really is just "here's a thing I saw somewhere else," isn't he? Like, the racist poo poo in The Pink Panther didn't need a revival in 2000 in a failing wrestling company.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Russo really is just "here's a thing I saw somewhere else," isn't he? Like, the racist poo poo in The Pink Panther didn't need a revival in 2000 in a failing wrestling company.
I believe they were actually booked in the Kevin Sullivan period.

Also we're all being racist... or not racist enough... because it was actually the Jung Dragons.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Whatever happened to Jimmy Wang Yang anyway

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

Whatever happened to Jimmy Wang Yang anyway

When he worked a match for AIW a couple of years ago they said he owned a party bus company.

yup, here it is https://www.facebook.com/jimmysredneckpartybus/

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He had a funny story about being fired from WWE. A few months afterward he was backstage visiting, Vince wanders up. "Why are you not dressed for your match?" "Uh, I was fired months ago." "You're hired, go get dressed"

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

DeathChicken posted:

He had a funny story about being fired from WWE. A few months afterward he was backstage visiting, Vince wanders up. "Why are you not dressed for your match?" "Uh, I was fired months ago." "You're hired, go get dressed"
I've heard slight variations on this, like that it was actually Vince asking someone why Jimmy had been gone so long before that night, because he had no idea anyone had released him. So they made a people of re-signing him on the spot.

Important context: Vince's favorite wrestler to watch in-ring for several years was Jimmy Yang.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

davidbix posted:

Important context: Vince's favorite wrestler to watch in-ring for several years was Jimmy Yang.

he was very good. That Velocity feud against Paul London are great little matches

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

I've heard slight variations on this, like that it was actually Vince asking someone why Jimmy had been gone so long before that night, because he had no idea anyone had released him. So they made a people of re-signing him on the spot.

That such an average wrestler would be Vince's favorite really doesn't surprise me despite his lack of muscles.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jimmy yang did a really cool leg lariat to aj styles in the first tna ppv so he's fine by me

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Alaois posted:

jimmy yang did a really cool leg lariat to aj styles in the first tna ppv so he's fine by me
Ah, The Flying Elvises. Now there's a trios team that needs to make a comeback.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doc M posted:

Ah, The Flying Elvises. Now there's a trios team that needs to make a comeback.

Sonny Siaki (who is The Rock) retired from wrestling after donating half his liver or something to his brother but I bet Yang and Jorge Estrada can still go

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still remember somebody asking Luke Gallows on a podcast (might have been one of the Jericho versions of Talkin' Shop) if Vince remembered he had been Festus in the company before, and Gallows replied immediately,"No and for God's sake don't remind him."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MassRafTer posted:

That such an average wrestler would be Vince's favorite really doesn't surprise me despite his lack of muscles.

There is not a doubt in my mind that Vince McMahon's appreciation for Jimmy Yang had absolutely nothing to do with his wrestling and everything to do with him being an asian elvis impersonator/redneck and Vince most certainly found that hilarious.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Doc M posted:

Ah, The Flying Pelvis Wesley's. Now there's a trios team that needs to make a comeback.

I miss Southpaw

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Did WWE go back on their thing of allowing users to watch every Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, Summerslam and Survivor Series for free during quarantine? I suppose expecting WWE to be fun and helpful is expecting too much.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Did WWE go back on their thing of allowing users to watch every Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, Summerslam and Survivor Series for free during quarantine? I suppose expecting WWE to be fun and helpful is expecting too much.
Apparently, yes. RIP the Let's Watch Old PPVs thread, I guess.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it's not like it's difficult to get the network for free though

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

it's not like it's difficult to get the network for free though
Don't you always have to create a new account to get the free trial, with different emails and billing addresses and that sort of thing? Not that that's difficult or anything, just kind of annoying and more effort than I can be bothered to muster up for a WWE product more than once. :effort:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 11, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonzo McFee posted:

Drew will one day be Champ. Mark my words.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doc M posted:

Don't you always have to create a new account to get the free trial, with different emails and billing addresses and that sort of thing? Not that that's difficult or anything, just kind of annoying and more effort than I can be bothered to muster up for a WWE product more than once. :effort:

Just a new email. They literally don't check any of the other poo poo other than make sure the card is legit.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Endless Mike posted:

Just a new email. They literally don't check any of the other poo poo other than make sure the card is legit.

they think I live at 69 Eatass Dr and that my zipcode is 696969, but that's actually my neighbor's address

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Boy it sure is a mystery why the Network was considered a financial failure and got Barrios and Wilson fired

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Benne posted:

Boy it sure is a mystery why the Network was considered a financial failure and got Barrios and Wilson fired

Was it the bad product?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Saw him while browsing twitter and was wondering why wwe hadn’t snatched up TK Cooper yet

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

I believe they were actually booked in the Kevin Sullivan period.

Also we're all being racist... or not racist enough... because it was actually the Jung Dragons.
As I remember it, they originated as the brainchild of Jimmy Hart when he was booking WCW Saturday Night as WCW's developmental territory; a period nobody really seems to remember. They were supposed to be a Japanese biker gang. But for various reasons, the idea was iterated upon until they just became two Japanese dudes and a white guy in non-makeup yellowface with no real gimmick who were a team.

They were around before Russo. Russo turned them into Cato from Pink Panther/Ninjas. Because he's a giant racist who steals all of his ideas.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I always suspected it was just to hype Wrestlemania.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

As I remember it, they originated as the brainchild of Jimmy Hart when he was booking WCW Saturday Night as WCW's developmental territory; a period nobody really seems to remember. They were supposed to be a Japanese biker gang. But for various reasons, the idea was iterated upon until they just became two Japanese dudes and a white guy in non-makeup yellowface with no real gimmick who were a team.

They were around before Russo. Russo turned them into Cato from Pink Panther/Ninjas. Because he's a giant racist who steals all of his ideas.

a stable of guys who do that subculture of japanese ppl who dress like 50s american greasers with huuuuuge pompadours would be amazing

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shiksa posted:

a stable of guys who do that subculture of japanese ppl who dress like 50s american greasers with huuuuuge pompadours would be amazing

the Bosozoku Jung Dragons

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

shiksa posted:

3 Punch Tominagas who can wrestle sounds wonderful

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Ive never seen TNA before; and don't plan on it except I wanna see some of these clusterfuck King of the Mountain matches; can someone post which ones are the good ones, or most entertaining clusterfuck if none are good; I quickly glanced over contestant lists to try to not get spoiled and saw some Sting/Samoa Joe/AJ ones.

I the mean time I will watch this team :canada: vs team :patriot: and hope Bret pulls out the victory! https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5x5pj

quote:

In terms of star power, this is the Flag Match that featured the biggest names. It took place in Halifax, Nova Scotia in eastern at a time when the Hart Foundation stable was pro Canadian and anti-American in everything that they did. The crowd was supportive of the Bret, Owen and Bulldog team while Austin & Dude were the tag team champions. Their partner was supposed to be Shawn Michaels, but he got taken out earlier in the night so The Undertaker, who was the WWE Champion at the time, subbed in as their partner. It was a tag match with the rule where you had to capture your country's flag that was hanging on a pole above the ring posts in their respective corners. They basically worked a regular tag team match without pinfalls.

God I always loved USA vs angles; especially since :canada: always had top guys for decades has the best wrestlers in the world* (*North America!) - Bret / Owen / Jericho / Omega / Lance Storm + Major Gunns :v: / BOBBY ROODE while Team USA's were like General E. Rection or whatever the gently caress that stupid fat gently caress from the PC Center was, and the Patriot, and like the dog faced gremlin

I'm surprised how little Canadian wrestlers came from though; I can think of Test; Santino; Bobby Roode, Trish; and Edge/Christian if you count Orangeville.
Montreal seemed to be a hotbed earlier on the the Rougeaus or Whoever, and now with Evil Uno/Stu/KO/Sami; that's a pretty good group representing. I'm sure there's a lot more. It's also crazy that Winnipeg of all places, raised probably the 2 GOAT's with Jericho/Omega; or at least should both Be on Mount Rushmore of wrestling.

Hirez fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 12, 2020

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Hirez posted:

It's also crazy that Winnipeg of all places, raised probably the 2 GOAT's with Jericho/Omega; or at least should both Be on Mount Rushmore of wrestling.

Don't forget Tom Mcgee.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
That Tom Mcgee match changed my entire outlook on the hitman as a childhood hero, because it made me realize he had 5 moves; he just changed the order around, and they were just simple safe moves, like elbow drop off the middle rope. He was just basically :canada: propaganda to wrestlers; I loved Owen a whole more being the younger brother too.

and it wasn't until like a year ago someone pointed out why the Hitman's finisher is called the Sharpshooter and my mind was blown.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Was Corey Graves ever good? By the time I first got into wrestling he was already essentially concussioned out, so I have never seen him in the ring, my only experience of him was his terrible (and creepy as poo poo) stint on commentary. How was he as wrestler?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ShootaBoy posted:

Was Corey Graves ever good? By the time I first got into wrestling he was already essentially concussioned out, so I have never seen him in the ring, my only experience of him was his terrible (and creepy as poo poo) stint on commentary. How was he as wrestler?

Average at best wrestler, never impressive at all.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

ShootaBoy posted:

Mechanically smooth but not someone who really stood out is probably the best way to put it. WWE really likes "tall and mechanically smooth" types. I thought he was solid whenever I saw him as Sterling James Keenan, but that's about it.

Someone else could better explain when he first swagger jacked CM Punk. It's not that they're both tatted up punk rock fans who used to be friends; there are some photos out there where it's absolutely shameless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I saw him as SJK before he went to WWE and like... he was fine, but nothing much more than an ok CM Punk knockoff. I thought he had a very tangible douchebag charisma but thats obviously born out to just be internal.