Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lowdog
Dec 14, 2012
Opening the gates for the next couple of hours so you goons can join in on the last 2.5 hours of the fishing tournament. Southern hemisphere. Grab any fruits you want.

Donations / nice things on the bulletin board are appreciated but not expected.

E: also I highly recommend stockpiling some bait.

E: closed the gate. Please remember to remove fish from the cooler before going afk.

The Lowdog fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Also to confirm for tomorrow: you can do the fishing tournament together right? You get your own individual points and prizes even on other islands? So I could farm all 300 points with a buddy?

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Also to confirm for tomorrow: you can do the fishing tournament together right? You get your own individual points and prizes even on other islands? So I could farm all 300 points with a buddy?

Yes. It counts everybody's catch, so that seems like a good way to do it.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

They're not wrong. It's why we don't have unicorns anymore.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PETA posted:

Is Tom Nook Exploiting you?
Tom Nook is a landlord. Others like him in the real world are beaten, anally electrocuted, gassed, or skinned alive. Cut him some slack.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Man, I did not need to know about Tom Nook’s bondage fetish. I’m not judging. Just... not something I wanted to know.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Someone please tell say that you have a spare blossom lantern that I can have. I've been hunting balloons for hours and it's the only recipe left
I can't keep opening presents that contain 1,000 bells or 5 clay :negative:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BlueTide posted:

This is insanely condescending.
perhaps the reason why people are being condescending to you is that you blindly bought an Animal Crossing game, the extremely well known totally casual and chill "collecting and decorating in a slice of life setting with cute animals" game and are acting like you were blindsided and said it's not a game. what did you expect? dark souls? dodonpachi?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kiwillian posted:

Yes. It counts everybody's catch, so that seems like a good way to do it.
Awesome! Thanks, that'll be the plan for sure then.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

BlueTide posted:

There was no pressure "Brother Entropy." I buy games people I trust are into to expand my horizons, but this one might be too much...

I'm just trying to find out what anyone could see in the game. I don't know why everyone is suddenyl jumping down my throat.

Take a chill pill.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

So during the fishing tournament will CJ still take orders for fish models? I have 3 oarfish I'd like to have immortalized.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So during the fishing tournament will CJ still take orders for fish models? I have 3 oarfish I'd like to have immortalized.

I don't think he does.

Also just so you know, the oarfish model won't be to scale. It's only a 1x1 statue like the rest.

Crinklepouch
May 30, 2016

Its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys.

The Lowdog posted:

Opening the gates for the next couple of hours so you goons can join in on the last 2.5 hours of the fishing tournament. Southern hemisphere. Grab any fruits you want.

Donations / nice things on the bulletin board are appreciated but not expected.

E: also I highly recommend stockpiling some bait.

E: closed the gate. Please remember to remove fish from the cooler before going afk.

Thanks! I just spent a shitload of bells at your store.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Is the Atlas Moth the only animal model known to be bigger than 1x1? My Mothra looks awesome but my Gamera is pitiful.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

BlueTide posted:

There was no pressure "Brother Entropy." I buy games people I trust are into to expand my horizons, but this one might be too much...

I'm just trying to find out what anyone could see in the game. I don't know why everyone is suddenyl jumping down my throat.

Animal Crossing is a game about being a kid on permanent summer break and you own your own house so you get to do all the things kids aren't allowed to do like jump on the bed or run around with futuristic goggles on and rub bugs in peoples' faces, and the best part is that everyone is constantly running up to you and telling you how cool and awesome you are. I hope this helps to explain why people are especially in love with the game during a time where we're not allowed to go outside and run around and catch bugs and talk to each other.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

BlueTide posted:

I'm just trying to find out what anyone could see in the game.

It's a digital zen garden mixed with gacha elements, and you can visit friends' islands to buy more doodads and see their creativity at play. I hope this helps you see the appeal other have for it, at least.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

LastGoodBoy posted:

I don't think he does.

Also just so you know, the oarfish model won't be to scale. It's only a 1x1 statue like the rest.

Oarfish is 1x2.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The tarantula model is definitely bgger than the real one. Startles me every time I walk by.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

No. He doesn't even buy fish outside of the ones you catch when you start the tourney game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I feel people who buy Animal Crossing sight unseen without doing any research should be banned from complaining about it after the fact, it is exactly what it looks like, a real time simulator game.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

So, multiplayer fishing tournament:

Every fish is worth one point to the individual. If you catch 3, you get two bonus points. So, playing solo, catching 5 fish gets you 7 points.
In multiplayer, everyone's catch counts towards a total, which will get everyone bonus points if you catch 5 total. If there are 2 players and each catch 3 fish, they'll each get 15 points. If there are 8 players and they catch 3 fish each, everyone gets...15 points. If there are 8 players and two people catch 3 fish each and the other 6 stand around using their wands, the two anglers get 15 each and the idle players each get 10. If all 8 are fishing and somehow catch 5 each, everyone will still only get 17 points each. As far as I know, there're no other bonus point thresholds. I don't know how many fewer points you get if the group somehow gets less than 5 fish.

Every player must collect their points and empty their cooler after every round, or the next round can't start. This requires two chats with CJ if you want to sell your fish to him. I recommend you have people NOT exchange their points for a reward until it's time to leave, or you'll all be sitting there a while waiting for CJ to be free to talk to.

Also, the timer will KEEP GOING if someone leaves or flies in, so limit who you spread your Dodo code to.

There are 13 rewards when you exchange points, and they'll start repeating after you get them all. Randomly, I believe. Rewards are 10 points each, so if you hit 300 points (total accumulated, not currently stocked) to get a Gold trophy, you'll be swimming in stuff.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 11, 2020

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Judge Tesla posted:

I feel people who buy Animal Crossing sight unseen without doing any research should be banned from complaining about it after the fact, it is exactly what it looks like, a real time simulator game.

People should always be allowed to complain, but if you make a dumb complaint then you deserve to be mocked.

Crinklepouch
May 30, 2016

Its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys.
Any southern hemis open?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Pyroclastic posted:

Oarfish is 1x2.

Tie my shoes.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Crinklepouch posted:

Any southern hemis open?

I'll open up. It's 7pm so fishing comp is over but Mable and the Nooks are open for a while. Got a royal shirt and some cowboy outfits for sale. Nooks have a ship in a bottle which is neat.

I've got all the fruit up on the orchard up north in the cliffs. Bring a ladder or find my secret path! Hint: don't trample my flowers please.

I'm just gonna be AFKing while I cook dinner. Please excuse the messy island, I've done a ton of terraforming but it'll be at least a week of shuffling buildings around before they end up in the right places.

BPG7Y

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
Started cracking on with the fishing tournament! I know that a lot of you are a few hours behind, so here's some stuff that's obvious in hindsight but that I wasn't certain about until I was doing it:

The timer starts once you've finished talking to CJ in the plaza. If your plaza is away from any bodies of water, might be worth building a pond or stream beforehand.

Can confirm that bait is an absolute must. No changes to fish spawns that I can see, so unless you're throwing bait down you're going to need to be hunting for those fish. Any bait-making is not time wasted.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i've been hunting balloons for like 5 hours now and i'm pretty sure i am losing my goddamn mind

the absolute worst part was finding a cherry blossom recipe after midnight (thereby proving they exist until 5am), but it being the wrong one

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Are there more prizes other than tshirt?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What counts as an item for island rating? If I’m placing items decoratively is that hurting me, or is it just stuff like leaving crafting supplies to diy cards out? Eg does a soccer ball laid down somewhere hurt rating? Very confused.

E: also is there a clear guide to getting five stars? I want the gold watering can but I’m not really sure what qualifies or how much I need.

E2:

deep dish peat moss posted:

Animal Crossing: Others like him in the real world are anally electrocuted, cut him some slack.

^^^^^^

tildes fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 11, 2020

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Sekenr posted:

Are there more prizes other than tshirt?

For the tournament? Yes. Got 3 prizes so far and a t-shirt was the third.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Opening the island for Torney. North. Will be at least 2 hours AFK as I play FF7. If you want to leave something or scribblings on the board welcome but up to you. E: 5G1NL

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 11, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

tildes posted:

What counts as an item for island rating? If I’m placing items decoratively is that hurting me, or is it just stuff like leaving crafting supplies to diy cards out? Eg does a soccer ball laid down somewhere hurt rating? Very confused.

E: also is there a clear guide to getting five stars? I want the gold watering can but I’m not really sure what qualifies or how much I need.

E2:

^^^^^^

Fairly sure that dropped items count as litter, but placed items are decor.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is there a list of what the fishing tourney prizes are yet? I've got a fishing rod stand so far.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Frankston posted:

Is there a list of what the fishing tourney prizes are yet? I've got a fishing rod stand so far.

Is that your first one? Guess they must be in a random order, then - I've got 4 and don't have that yet!

Doorplate, tackle bag, t-shirt, umbrella

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

tildes posted:

E2:

^^^^^^

Man, I can't figure out what Isabelle wants from me. She tells me to put down decoration, then she tells me to put down fences, then she tells me to put down decoration, then fences, etc. There is so much furniture all over the place, it's started looking like an episode of hoarders. I cleaned up trash beach for you, Isabelle. Why do you want me to turn the island into a fenced in junk yard?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Chris Pistols posted:

Is that your first one? Guess they must be in a random order, then - I've got 4 and don't have that yet!

Doorplate, tackle bag, t-shirt, umbrella

Yep, that was my first

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Frankston posted:

These are the prizes. Each one costs ten points, and they start repeating after you've collected them all.

Anchor Statue
Fish Door Plate
Fish Drying Rack
Fish Pochette
Fish Print (apparently there may be multiple different types of prints? I only got one though)
Fish-Print Tee
Fish Rug
Fish Umbrella
Fish Wand
Fishing Rod Stand
Fresh Cooler
Marine Pop Wall
Tackle Bag

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
This is probably a dumb question, but what the hell... The 300 points you need to win the tourney - do you need to 'bank' those? That is, does swapping point for prizes actually impair your ability to win the tourney?

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

The print has a few different customisation options featuring different fish, it's probably my favourite reward. They're all black and white except the Red Snapper which is red! One of the drying rack recolours is octopus which is a little :ohdear: Don't show Zucker!

magimix posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but what the hell... The 300 points you need to win the tourney - do you need to 'bank' those? That is, does swapping point for prizes actually impair your ability to win the tourney?

Nope! And apparently left over points carry over to the next fishing contest in June!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

LonelyMudkip posted:

The print has a few different customisation options featuring different fish, it's probably my favourite reward. They're all black and white except the Red Snapper which is red! One of the drying rack recolours is octopus which is a little :ohdear: Don't show Zucker!

Nope! And apparently left over points carry over to the next fishing contest in June!

That is very reassuring, thanks. I've liked some of the prizes I've redeemed thus far. I like fishing in this game, so this tourney is right up my alley.