Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Inept posted:

Landlord has had a fraudulent mortgage for a while. She contacted me in November asking me to be part of her scheme to say she was our roommate in exchange for lowering our rent because the bank was asking her for proof she lived there. I said no thanks, that was the end of it.

She originally was fine with us going month to month and brought it up herself about 3 weeks ago, and then a week ago sent us an email saying she changed her mind and we had to move out. I'm guessing the bank came back again and said "we need more proof you live here".

We consulted with a lawyer for an hour about what we could do. The lawyer said that legally, if the lease is up, unless there's some executive order, nothing prevents the landlord from kicking us out. We could stay and wait to get evicted, and the lawyer said that we could probably stay in the house for another month or two while that went on if we went through all of our appeal options. She advised us to reach out and see if we could find out why the landlord was kicking us out and to see if there's a way to stay. That's when the landlord gave us this "you can stay if you sign this" email. I relayed that information to the lawyer, who said that she can't advise us to fill out documents fraudulently.
I'm glad the lawyer helped you more than

Inept posted:

I consulted an attorney but she said she can't really help us since what we're considering is illegal.
Your lease contract is ending. The landlord is not required to extended the lease. The LL's offer for you to help them commit fraud doesn't change the fact that you will no longer have a lease after it ends.

Inept posted:

I don't think she gave us amazing advice, but I doubt any lawyer is going to tell us anything other than "find a new place or deal with eviction".
Yes, a better lawyer can and will.
To go beyond that, and essentially extend the lease without the landlord's consent, is going to take time and effort from an attorney and money from you. (Though if you're close to a law school, you might see if they have a legal assistance clinic - this kind of thing will be right up their alley)

Go talk to a better lawyer (or clinic head) about arguing (essentially) that your wife's condition and the pandemic extends the lease as a matter of public policy. What you might decide after getting legal advice from a NC attorney with whom you have an attorney client relationship (ACR) is to stay in the house, pay your rent, and force the LL to evict you. Evictions are closed down till mid May, and that is likely to be extended unless the pandemic dissipates a whole hell of a lot. The better (NC)(ACR) lawyer you consult with will likely also tell your wife to get a letter from her doctor saying not only is she more susceptible, but even your househunting/inspecting/signing a lease, let alone moving, would be a grave risk to her health. After consulting with your attorney, they might see if any of the local press might take an interest in your case.
Your attorney will likely send a carefully worded letter with all this stuff and some of the stuff you've already talked about to your LL and ask them to extend your lease until the pandemic is over. The attorney might even advice you to toss in an extra 10% in rent as a show of good faith.
If the landlord still decides to evict you, they'll have to wait until the courts start hearing evictions again, get an attorney (because you'll have one that's loaded for bear) and spend tons of money and months and months and months of time to get rid of paying renters.
Your attorney will also tell you the potential downsides of all this, which could include having to pay all of your LL's expenses to kick you out.
This is not legal advice, these are things you should ask your (NC) (ACR) attorney about. I am not licensed in NC and I am not your attorney.

Inept posted:

Also why would I lie about speaking to a lawyer? What?
My apologies. I should not have assumed your first post was all of what the lawyer said. In extenuation and mitigation of my punishment I submit this thread as Exhibit 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
What other advice would their be? You’re in a lovely situation but any legit lawyer won’t advise you to help with mortgage fraud

Edit lol at the timing.

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 8, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm not saying to blackmail anyone, but I am saying you seem to be in possession of a written request to participate in a criminal conspiracy from someone who you want something from.

Turn informant.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Just offer to go monthly to monthly and start looking for a new place right now.

Don't be complicit in mortgage fraud, but if the bank is getting suspicious then it may not matter soon what arrangement you come to with your Landlord because things could be taken out of her control.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

EwokEntourage posted:

Edit lol at the timing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8EMx7Y16Vo

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm not saying to blackmail anyone, but I am saying you seem to be in possession of a written request to participate in a criminal conspiracy from someone who you want something from.

Turn informant.

I don't think there's any ethical issues with calling the bank once you have an exit strategy.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Hoisted by our collective petard

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My wife and I are buying a home with a 1200 square foot inlaw apartment that has it's own entrance and driveway. My father inlaw is in his 80's and is going to live there, but once he's gone my daughter wants to move in. I'd like to set something up where she pays me rent (say $900 a month) and have $600 of it go towards that is equivalent of equity in the home. I would track the nominal balance on a spreadsheet or whatever and then if we ever sold the house I would cut her a check for what she had paid in. Alternatively, I could also sell her the place in 10 years and do a gift to her for the down payment.

The idea of this is to give her incentive to keep the place up and not feel like she's missing out by not owning a place on her own. I'm sure there are many pitfalls here (what if she got married and divorced, could she cash out early if she wanted to move, etc).

Is there a good way to do this?

daslog fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 9, 2020

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

My wife and I are buying a home with a 1200 square foot inlaw apartment that has it's own entrance and driveway. My father in is in his 80's and is going to live there, but once he's gone my daughter wants to move in. I'd like to set something up where she pays me rent (say $900 a month) and have $600 of it go towards that is equivalent of equity in the home. I would track the nominal balance on a spreadsheet or whatever and then if we ever sold the house I would cut her a check for what she had paid in. Alternatively, I could also sell her the place in 10 years and do a gift to her for the down payment.

The idea of this is to give her incentive to keep the place up and not feel like she's missing out by not owning a place on her own. I'm sure there are many pitfalls here (what if she got married and divorced, could she cash out early if she wanted to move, etc).

Is there a good way to do this?

First of all, where are you?

Second, there are ways to handle this transaction, and there's a lot of pitfalls that you would have no reason to be aware of unless you've been a practicing real estate attorney for awhile.

Accidentally creating a co-tenancy, or signing up for what's called an "executory contract" could have serious repercussions. Could accidentally find yourself in a situation where the bank is foreclosing on your home, because of breach of the mortgage and deed of trust, or the that she acquired the right to stay there and you've lost the right to evict her for any reason.

I say this to make it clear that you should have a Real Estate attorney handle the transaction, and to get you to consider whether her simply being liable for any damages is not enough incentive for her to "keep the place up." and if not, why you would want a tenant like that.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 9, 2020

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

blarzgh posted:

First of all, where are you?

Second, there are ways to handle this transaction, and there's a lot of pitfalls that you would have no reason to be aware of unless you've been a practicing real estate attorney for awhile.

Accidentally creating a co-tenancy, or signing up for what's called an "executory contract" could have serious repercussions. Could accidentally find yourself in a situation where the bank is foreclosing on your home, because of breach of the mortgage and deed of trust, or the that she acquired the right to stay there and you've lost the right to evict her for any reason.

I say this to make it clear that you should have a Real Estate attorney handle the transaction, and to get you to consider whether her simply being liable for any damages is not enough incentive for her to "keep the place up." and if not, why you would want a tenant like that.

Thanks for replying.

New Hampshire is where I'm located. The idea is so she doesn't feel like she's losing money by not owning her own home and throwing away her money on rent. While I'm not concerned about her trashing the place, you never know what could happen in the future.

An alternative would be to draw something up that explicitly states she doesn't get any equity in the home and instead I would just keep a notional account for her that she could draw on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Talk to a real estate attorney. "drawing something up" is what they're for.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

daslog posted:

Thanks for replying.

New Hampshire is where I'm located. The idea is so she doesn't feel like she's losing money by not owning her own home and throwing away her money on rent. While I'm not concerned about her trashing the place, you never know what could happen in the future.

An alternative would be to draw something up that explicitly states she doesn't get any equity in the home and instead I would just keep a notional account for her that she could draw on.

Is there a reason you can't just charge her $300 and arrange with her to set up a long term savings account to put the other $600 into?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Lobsterpillar posted:

Is there a reason you can't just charge her $300 and arrange with her to set up a long term savings account to put the other $600 into?

I'd like to use the $600 per month to help pay down the mortgage, and if it's tied up in equity then she can be in a difficult spot if an emergency comes up.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

I'd like to use the $600 per month to help pay down the mortgage, and if it's tied up in equity then she can be in a difficult spot if an emergency comes up.

I could draw up an arrangement (in my state, Texas) that you're looking for for probably $750. There are other options that run up to $1,500.

Considering the stakes, that's worth it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

daslog posted:

Thanks for replying.

You seem like you have enough money to hire a lawyer

There are like 10 issues off the top of my head that need to be addressed. (MEDICAID!!!!)

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

euphronius posted:

You seem like you have enough money to hire a lawyer

There are like 10 issues off the top of my head that need to be addressed. (MEDICAID!!!!)

OK I'm convinced. Can you give me 5 or 6 talking points so I can convince the other parties that it's a good idea to use a lawyer?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

daslog posted:

OK I'm convinced. Can you give me 5 or 6 talking points so I can convince the other parties that it's a good idea to use a lawyer?

You're encumbering something that's worth hundreds of thousands with a lot of pitfalls. Spending less than 1% of the value to ensure that everything goes the way you want is worth it every time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

daslog posted:

You don’t need to convince them lol.

Just go. It’s YOUR LAWYWR

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You don’t need to tell anyone you are seeing a lawyere

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

You don’t need to tell anyone you are seeing a lawyere

thats french for "lawyer"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
No the French word for lawyer is “avocado”

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Millenials raving about avocado toast suddenly explains why it's so expensive.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

in the military a lawyer that advises a court martial is called a judge avocado

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
How many Twitter followers before you're a public figure?

Hypothetical: A couple was reported loving in public in 2004 at 5:30 AM by a mother driving her children to daycare before work. Initially there were 3 counts of public indecency and one count of exhibition before a minor. The latter count is under the subsection of state law dealing with molestation. The result was a plea with no admission and a fine on one count of indecent exposure. They later become slightly well known in social media. Various people who consider the couple political enemies, including some attorneys, coordinate a smear campaign to release some of the court documents and directly state that the couple are convicted pedophiles. I have no idea what state anyone is in. Is any if it actionable?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Nevvy Z posted:

How many Twitter followers before you're a public figure?

Hypothetical: A couple was reported loving in public in 2004 at 5:30 AM by a mother driving her children to daycare before work. Initially there were 3 counts of public indecency and one count of exhibition before a minor. The latter count is under the subsection of state law dealing with molestation. The result was a plea with no admission and a fine on one count of indecent exposure. They later become slightly well known in social media. Various people who consider the couple political enemies, including some attorneys, coordinate a smear campaign to release some of the court documents and directly state that the couple are convicted pedophiles. I have no idea what state anyone is in. Is any if it actionable?

It sounds like they were convicted of indecent exposure which has nothing to do with pedophilia. Setting aside the obvious bad faith in the smear campaign, the answer is yes—that statement is per se defamatory and actionable as a result. Malice and damages should be presumed.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If someone is buying a 3-unit house, and is getting a mortgage as an owner-occupier, and multiple of the units are being delivered vacant, and it was discovered during inspection that the garage actually contains an "in-law apartment", i.e. not zoned but has a separate section with a proper bedroom/kitchen/bathroom, can the buyer owner-occupy that without getting in trouble with the lender?

The lender never specified which unit the buyer had to occupy, only that they live on the premises. The garage unit seems to have been done safely and to code, it just hasn't gotten approval from the city yet. It seems to be in spirit of the mortgage law (owner-occupier rates are lower because the owner doesn't want to get foreclosed and lose the place they're living, and this would still apply if they're in the garage). Lastly, the buyer only needs 1 bedroom as they are single; it would make more sense to rent the vacant legal unit to a family who might need it during this apocalypse.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Zero VGS posted:

If someone is buying a 3-unit house, and is getting a mortgage as an owner-occupier, and multiple of the units are being delivered vacant, and it was discovered during inspection that the garage actually contains an "in-law apartment", i.e. not zoned but has a separate section with a proper bedroom/kitchen/bathroom, can the buyer owner-occupy that without getting in trouble with the lender?

The lender never specified which unit the buyer had to occupy, only that they live on the premises. The garage unit seems to have been done safely and to code, it just hasn't gotten approval from the city yet. It seems to be in spirit of the mortgage law (owner-occupier rates are lower because the owner doesn't want to get foreclosed and lose the place they're living, and this would still apply if they're in the garage). Lastly, the buyer only needs 1 bedroom as they are single; it would make more sense to rent the vacant legal unit to a family who might need it during this apocalypse.

The new owner would do well to talk to the city to get the fourth unit up to code, and update the paperwork with his bank and insurance to let them know how many units are in the building.

The owner should also have visited the building before buying.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

FrozenVent posted:

The new owner would do well to talk to the city to get the fourth unit up to code, and update the paperwork with his bank and insurance to let them know how many units are in the building.

The owner should also have visited the building before buying.

The buyer did visit the building before buying (during the aforementioned inspection along with the inspection company) and appreciated the "bonus" apartment.

The buyer is not nearly as worried about dealing with the town hall on getting the space to code as they are with the bank accusing them of "Occupancy Fraud", which is what the original question was concerning. As long as the owner is sincerely on-site, it shouldn't matter whether they're in one of the actual apartments or in the in-law apartment, or in a tent in the backyard, one might suppose.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

The buyer should talk to an attorney

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

EwokEntourage posted:

The buyer should talk to an attorney

I'll let em know, thanks!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There might also be something in the buyer’s mortgage convenant and insurance policy that specifically mentions the number of units in the property.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but it seems legal related, so here goes:

I live in an apartment complex, and for the past few days, I've been hearing water running from the adjacent apartment's bathroom at all hours of the day and night. (It sounds like water flowing through pipes, and is a quieter version of what my own shower sounds like when on.) It's technically none of my business, but with this Covid thing, I'm worried that the resident(s) may have died or I don't know and it's just a matter of time before their tub or whatever overflows and creates a huge loving problem for the apartment staff.

Should I try to contact the staff about this or something?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yes, same thing happened to my father in law and his apartment neighbor had in fact killed himself in the tub.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ambaire posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but it seems legal related, so here goes:

I live in an apartment complex, and for the past few days, I've been hearing water running from the adjacent apartment's bathroom at all hours of the day and night. (It sounds like water flowing through pipes, and is a quieter version of what my own shower sounds like when on.) It's technically none of my business, but with this Covid thing, I'm worried that the resident(s) may have died or I don't know and it's just a matter of time before their tub or whatever overflows and creates a huge loving problem for the apartment staff.

One option would be to call the cops and ask for a well check on your neighbor. Or, y'know, knock on their door and leave a note and see if they take it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ambaire posted:

The apartment super would probably be extremely interested, if the water ends up overflowing it would cause a ton of damage. Definitely knock on their door and see if they're alive first though.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One option would be to call the cops and ask for a well check on your neighbor. Or, y'know, knock on their door and leave a note and see if they take it.

Maybe don't call the police for a check, they have a nasty habit of killing people when they do those.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yeah that's a call to the landlord, running water is an actual problem they will care about probably

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Javid posted:

Yeah that's a call to the landlord, running water is an actual problem they will care about probably

I called the office 6 hours ago when they opened and told them and they said they'd send someone to take a look. Been checking throughout the day and that water's still running... I guess covid's messing with maintenance or something.

Not sure what I should do if it's still going tomorrow or the day after. Been living here for 5 years and this is the second time I've called anyone for anything unrelated to me. First time was about 3 years ago when I could hear a smoke detector alarm going off continuously, traced it to the apartment upstairs across from me, and after knocking on their door for near 5 minutes with no response, called the fire department. Turned out someone was home and had burnt something in their oven but didn't do anything about silencing the alarms.. for what seemed like hours...

Thanks for the replies.

edit: I mean, it's not normal for someone's shower to be on for days, right? This is something I should be worried about, right? Bystander effect seems strong here but there's probably not many people who could be aware of it so ...

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 13, 2020

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Just wait, if this person had a bad thing done realistically the damage is done. It's the landlord's issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nonexistence posted:

Just wait, if this person had a bad thing done realistically the damage is done. It's the landlord's issue.

No, if this person is slowly dying on their bed or something, there could still be a chance. It's probably just a stuck toilet flusher or maybe a broken pipe, but there's a small chance someone is in trouble and you can't just assume "well by now they'd definitely be dead."