Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Because an ending is contextualised by the events before it, a story is a series of events told in a certain order on purpose to achieve an effect and it undermines it all if you know the ending before the rest of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Nintendo isn't bothering with F-Zero on the Switch because Fast RMX is already there.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't know why people think Captain Falcon would be cut from Smash Bros. This is the series that still has the Ice Climbers and freaking Mr Game And Watch. Also he's hilarious.

Apparently the problem is Nintendo doesn't have any ideas for a new gimmick for F-Zero. And GX was developed by Sega anyway, iirc. Quite possibly they think it's redundant with Mario Kart and too niche.

Here's an idea, Captain Falcon is a bounty hunter so you do an open world sandbox set in Mute City and some other places and include a bunch of racing. You coax baddies like Samurai Goro out of hiding for a race and afterwards find out where he is and bring him in. Bing bang bom why not done?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Anyway, if you're a fan of Jim Chungus Sterling you should listen to the first three minutes of this weeks Podquisition. He reads a very nice letter from a former fan who's sadly had enough of his antics.
https://soundcloud.com/jimquisition/podquisition-276-remove-yourself-from-the-internet

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Barudak posted:

I dont see why, I dont really view it any different than checking to see if a movie is well shot and acted or if a game has good gameplay. Its an aspect of the product and if I like it Id enjoy playing it with the whole experience.

I don't think you understand how storytelling works. It hinges on the unexpected surprises and little turns and reveals which needs someone to be unaware to work. I think what you are trying to do is to get a synopsis (a brief explanation of the story that doesn't give anything critical away) to see if it interests you.

Also, ITT I discovered F-Zero hasn't had a console version since 2003.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Barudak posted:

I dont see why, I dont really view it any different than checking to see if a movie is well shot and acted

i have definitely never checked if a movie is well shot and acted by looking up the ending without having the context of the the movie leading up to the ending, i dont even know how that makes sense. im not an anti-spoiler person, and it has nothing to do with "twists". i get that the journey can be more important than the destination, i just dont see how looking at an ending by itself makes sense as a way to evaluate any kind of story, videogame or not.

its like judgding a book by flipping to the end and reading the last few pages, how would you know what kind of emotional impact the ending is supposed to have without the weight of what comes before

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think there is confusion here. Im reading the ending as part of an overall summary of the story, Im not just flipping to "no, it was beauty that killed the beast. Fin" and moving on. I just like knowing where a story goes and its arc as a whole.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Earwicker posted:

sort of. except there are vehicles and a fairly interesting scifi story and there is very occasional combat. and, of course, way more cutscenes.

i spent more time on the motorcycles than on foot personally

my main problem with Death Stranding is that it's far more interesting early on in terms of gameplay but the story is really not very good until maybe the very end

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I read TV show recaps as a way of keeping up with the constant loving barrage of mediocre popular culture so I can empathize somewhat, the FF7R demo tired me out so much I canceled my preorder and will probably also look up story changes to not be left out of the conversation, if there even is one.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Barudak posted:

I think there is confusion here. Im reading the ending as part of an overall summary of the story

i guess for me personally a story needs to be felt rather than read about for me to decide if i like it or not, and i get that more from actually being in the first part, like reading the first 100 pages or so of a book, than i would from reading a description of the whole arc, which seems detached and kind of misleading since you are having it filtered through someone else's emotional reaction anyway. tho thats harder with games since they are more costly!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The F-Zero chat made me think that modern racing games are the loving pits, and the genre has died since Sega and Namco were in some kind of power-drifting cold war and was only kept on life support by Burnout. I cant think of any good ones since Need For Speed: Most Wanted that dont lean into super dull sim territory or shallow retro pandering. Mascot racers are probably the closest thing, and I'd check out that new Sonic one if I didnt have to tolerate Sonic and his stupid idiot friends.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Have you heard of the gospel og Wreckfest, my son?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKBhRTpH54Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnKEEZ0E6Ac

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Okay, that looks kinda fun!

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Honestly, I've mainly played games on computer for all my life because it's cheaper. Buy a crappy, refurb Dell off lease with a decent processor, throw some extra RAM and a decent used GPU in there, better PSU if necessary, and let it rip. All in all, my current computer is probably $200 worth of parts, yet it's lasted me 3 years and is just now not able to run new games. The bonus is you can also use it as a regular computer, and if the processor's good enough an emulation box for those annoying Nintendo games. I understand people liking the simplicity of owning a console, but I feel like they've gotten too expensive lately, especially considering games on computer are usually cheaper with Steam sales and everything.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Earwicker posted:

i guess for me personally a story needs to be felt rather than read about for me to decide if i like it or not, and i get that more from actually being in the first part, like reading the first 100 pages or so of a book, than i would from reading a description of the whole arc, which seems detached and kind of misleading since you are having it filtered through someone else's emotional reaction anyway. tho thats harder with games since they are more costly!

on one hand i can understand this perspective. on the other hand i'm tired of having Pain And Gain type experiences where i show up at a movie for a weird dark heist comedy and then it ends up being a disturbingly sociopathic splatterfest

like Heat, Live and Die in LA, yeah, you know you're in for some heavy poo poo. but i'm pretty burned out on WEREN'T YOU SURPRISED!! tonal about faces

DildenAnders posted:

Honestly, I've mainly played games on computer for all my life because it's cheaper. Buy a crappy, refurb Dell off lease with a decent processor, throw some extra RAM and a decent used GPU in there, better PSU if necessary, and let it rip. All in all, my current computer is probably $200 worth of parts, yet it's lasted me 3 years and is just now not able to run new games. The bonus is you can also use it as a regular computer, and if the processor's good enough an emulation box for those annoying Nintendo games. I understand people liking the simplicity of owning a console, but I feel like they've gotten too expensive lately, especially considering games on computer are usually cheaper with Steam sales and everything.

it's that latter reason that's big for me. consoles are nice but i can't do heavy lifting computing on them. i have an older high-end cpu and a ton of ram and compiling builds of my game can take 10-30s depending. i can't imagine how long it would take to compile if i was on a laptop--one with specs even coming close to my tower will cost twice as much, have lower specs, and less long-term durability.

besides, my take on it is, the ibm5100 weighed 55lbs and that was marketed as a portable computer. my desktop weighs a little less, the dimensions are about the same, and with the right adapter i can hook it up to any tv in the world. it's totally a portable computer :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 11, 2020

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

The F-Zero chat made me think that modern racing games are the loving pits, and the genre has died since Sega and Namco were in some kind of power-drifting cold war and was only kept on life support by Burnout. I cant think of any good ones since Need For Speed: Most Wanted that dont lean into super dull sim territory or shallow retro pandering.

forza horizon is great imo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Consoles are cheaper now. Games are cheaper, too. How?

Because they haven't really gone up in price in forever. They cost the same now as they did years ago.

But computers? Most aspects have stayed the same, too. Except video cards. Those have actually gone up in price.

PC gaming has actually climbed in price vs console gaming.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Consoles are cheaper now. Games are cheaper, too. How?

Because they haven't really gone up in price in forever. They cost the same now as they did years ago.

But computers? Most aspects have stayed the same, too. Except video cards. Those have actually gone up in price.

PC gaming has actually climbed in price vs console gaming.

It really hasn't though? If anything it's cheaper than it's been in almost 20 years now that AMD has knocked over Intel's monopoly, especially if you account for inflation. It only gets expensive if you go high resolution, high fps and/or VR, which are all well beyond the capabilities of any current console

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

poverty goat posted:

It really hasn't though? If anything it's cheaper than it's been in almost 20 years now that AMD has knocked over Intel's monopoly, especially if you account for inflation. It only gets expensive if you go high resolution, high fps and/or VR

My point is that pretty much every aspect of pc and console gaming has remained constant except for GPUs. Those have gone up in price. In some cases they more than double the total cost of the whole PC.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Can any console split the screen so that half is a game I'm playing, and the other half is Netflix or a web browser that can play Youtube?

Not being snarky just genuinely asking, that's how I like to play games and it's been a while since I've touched a console. Wondering if I would need to double up monitors and keep a computer still.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There are definitely crazy expensive video cards out there, but that’s like saying cars are all expensive because Ferrari’s exist. If you have a 2080 Ti you bought that to have a video card you spent a thousand dollars on. A 1660 Super will max out basically anything at 1080p60fps and it’s 230 bucks. If you want higher res or ray tracing, the 2070 Super is ~500.

My desktop was 1200 bucks after tax and runs everything maxed at 1440p60fps, that’s nothing compared to 20 years ago where a high-end computer was like 8k in 2020 money.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

My point is that pretty much every aspect of pc and console gaming has remained constant except for GPUs. Those have gone up in price. In some cases they more than double the total cost of the whole PC.

You only need an expensive gpu if you're doing high resolution, high fps, or VR

E: a midrange gpu from 5 years ago will still run new games on low-med and look better than any console for <$100

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 11, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

poverty goat posted:

Not even VR, I run a Rift S off the laptop version of the 1660, which has less oomph than the desktop one.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Barudak posted:

I think there is confusion here. Im reading the ending as part of an overall summary of the story, Im not just flipping to "no, it was beauty that killed the beast. Fin" and moving on. I just like knowing where a story goes and its arc as a whole.

I get this sometimes. If I’m only halfway interested in a movie or not sure if it’s worth my time, I’ll check out a plot summary.

Sometimes the surprises and twists are part of the experience, but taking that out doesn’t always ruin it. Occasionally it’s more a reaction of ‘oh hell I have got to see that part happen’.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Also is there a way to emulate old PC games on consoles? Again genuinely curious if I can plug in a mouse and keyboard and play my favorite childhood games. Like I'm sure someone out there has a PS4 that can play PS2/PS1 games, that seems sane, but I'd be very happily surprised if consoles these days could do half the stuff I do on PC for fun.

Like how some guys run Doom and poo poo on calculators? It would make consoles way cooler if I could do that but with Sim City 2000 and Fallout 2.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 11, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

PinheadSlim posted:

Also is there a way to emulate old PC games on consoles? Again genuinely curious if I can plug in a mouse and keyboard and play my favorite childhood games. Like I'm sure someone out there has a PS4 that can play PS2/PS1 games, that seems sane, but I'd be very happily surprised if consoles these days could do half the stuff I do on PC for fun.

That would be the Nintendo Switch which has pretty much every game ever made ported to it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

That would be the Nintendo Switch which has pretty much every game ever made ported to it.

From what I'm googling I can't find any of my old favorite PC games on Switch.... Which ones are available?

Or did you misread my post and think I just meant old console games?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, not necessarily. I've read before that some cultures have a very different take on 'spoilers', and don't consider knowing the ending of a work to be a downside when it's the experience of watching it that matters. That, and it's not like we don't watch and play plenty of formulaic stuff where we know more or less how it's going to end, or old movies where the ending twist has been common knowledge since before we were born.

The whole idea of spoilers is sort of nonsense since people enjoy classic literature

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

PinheadSlim posted:

Can any console split the screen so that half is a game I'm playing, and the other half is Netflix or a web browser that can play Youtube?
I remember this being touted as a feature during Microsoft's 2013 "everything but games" E3 conference, the way it actually works is Groove, Spotify and Skype can put their controls in the overlay menu that appears over games when you pause them

(wondering if the X1X with M+KB is a viable student computer now that the entire Office 365 suite has ported browser apps. still think they should make a native version, market that poo poo as the cheapest gaming PC you'll also do your homework on)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

sebmojo posted:

The whole idea of spoilers is sort of nonsense since people enjoy classic literature

true, but people like to feel "blown away" by a plot reveal. that doesn't preclude enjoying things you already know the ending of--i thought citizen kane was a good movie even though i knew rosebud was the sled. but imagine how blown away people were when they first saw the empire strikes back and found out that vader was luke's father. i still like episode v but i'm a little jealous of the people who knew nothing going into it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

PinheadSlim posted:

Like how some guys run Doom and poo poo on calculators? It would make consoles way cooler if I could do that but with Sim City 2000 and Fallout 2.

i think the cloest youll get is using a modded console to sideload retroarch and use the cores to play like doom or old scumm games or whatever

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been trying to track down a copy of F-Zero GX to see if it is as rough as people say it is.

It's the ultimate game that I think most perfectly embodies the concept of "rubber banding." You will get into first place, then have like two or three cars stream past you, but then you'll pass them again. Rinse and repeat like you're literally stuck to them with a rubber band. Some races are just all about a roll of luck based on where you happen to be in the rubber band struggle in the moment where you cross the finish line.

Anyone remember Tube Sliders?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Plan Z posted:

It's the ultimate game that I think most perfectly embodies the concept of "rubber banding." You will get into first place, then have like two or three cars stream past you, but then you'll pass them again. Rinse and repeat like you're literally stuck to them with a rubber band. Some races are just all about a roll of luck based on where you happen to be in the rubber band struggle in the moment where you cross the finish line.

Anyone remember Tube Sliders?

on the plus side the bullshit gameplay inspired some great meltdowns like this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=711267

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Nowadays any game you can launch from steam (including non steam games) can be streamed over the LAN to any Android device with the Steam Link app. It adds serviceable touch controls and supports gamepads. Not quite what you're asking for but it might get you close.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

poverty goat posted:

E: a midrange gpu from 5 years ago will still run new games on low-med and look better than any console for <$100

My 970 still kills it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

goethe.cx posted:

on the plus side the bullshit gameplay inspired some great meltdowns like this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=711267

I still find myself thinking “1.21 GIGAWATTS MARTY, LETS GO BACK TO THE loving FUTURE” when something really frustrating happens.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

fuckfurter

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

PinheadSlim posted:

From what I'm googling I can't find any of my old favorite PC games on Switch.... Which ones are available?

Or did you misread my post and think I just meant old console games?

Just wait, they are constantly releasing everything ever on the Switch. It's bizarre. I'm sure zork will be on there soon, don't worry.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Also apparently if you don't have the absolute best version of the modern consoles some games have big FPS drops?

I played War Thunder on my brothers console and it ran like rear end and looked like poo poo compared to my extremely budget PC.

And I guess the only way to fix this is to buy an entirely new console? That doesn't sound enjoyable or convenient to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

Just wait, they are constantly releasing everything ever on the Switch. It's bizarre. I'm sure zork will be on there soon, don't worry.

they need to hurry up and start releasing N64 games on it