Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Harvey Mantaco posted:

How does this crazy poo poo work??!

it doesn't

they're awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Harvey Mantaco posted:

GoldStandardConure posted:

it doesn't

they're awful

He's right, but look at the lighting. Notice how it's a triangle? That's because the face of the cylinder is actually multiple triangles wrapped around the surface, giving it angles and a "face" that's up.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's because the face of the cylinder is actually multiple triangles wrapped around the surface, giving it angles and a "face" that's up.

after its done rolling across the table for a minute, knocking over everyones miniatures

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'm glad you changed your last name you son of a bitch.

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Bought a full set of dice like that for the missus.

She loves the way they look but I've banned them from the table for at best rolling right off it, and at worst knocking everything the gently caress down.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
my friends use these dice:

https://www.polyhero.com/purchase/polyhero-dice-wizard-7-dice-set

along with those cylindrical dice. gaming sessions are a loving nightmare.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That d20 is pretty though. I wpuld love to have a set in that style, but you know, normally shaped.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My cousin, bless his role-playing heart, got one of those over-priced metal sets.

They're pink and gold, look nice, but the noise they make while they slam against the wooden table makes me cringe.

Why can't people just buy normal rear end dice, poo poo.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

dreadful dice, some promise as novelty nerd kubatons.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Saint Drogo posted:

dreadful dice, some promise as novelty nerd kubatons.

everyone was so excited about the d2

use a loving coin!!!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PinheadSlim posted:

My cousin, bless his role-playing heart, got one of those over-priced metal sets.

They're pink and gold, look nice, but the noise they make while they slam against the wooden table makes me cringe.

Why can't people just buy normal rear end dice, poo poo.

Because nerds have to be special. Thankfully I only have myself to play with these days

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
You could for a special occasion, make some dirt cheap dice trays from a picture frame and some felt from the dollar store or IKEA.

That will keep everything quiet and it’s a thoughtful gift.

https://youtu.be/7kQoGnqKwkM

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

moths posted:

Has this ever happened to you?

B&W footage of a git who harmlessly smacks a stunty with the backside of an axe, turns distraught to camera

DEREZ GOT TO BE A BEVVA WAY!

"Now, dat's not enuff damage!"

"But wot if youse hit da git with da flat side of da double bladed choppa?"

"Den youse git youse-self 'da wrekka', named 'cuz it has choppas in da four 'kar-da-null die-wrekk-shuns', Norff, Sideways, Down an'... Err... Ovva Sideways."

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Old Swerdlow posted:

You could for a special occasion, make some dirt cheap dice trays from a picture frame and some felt from the dollar store or IKEA.

That will keep everything quiet and it’s a thoughtful gift.

https://youtu.be/7kQoGnqKwkM

This, two layers of felt if they're using metal dice really cuts the noise down, and it stops the metal dice from dinging up your table. Highly recommend it.

Also solves the problem of dice going all over the place and knocking poo poo over. I thought the trays were goofy for a long time, and now I would never not use one if available. Especially for hams when someone is rolling 20+ dice at a time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

rndmnmbr posted:

I'm glad you changed your last name you son of a bitch.

WOW

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Whenever I see dice with novelty shapes I can’t help but wonder if the people behind them have actually tested the final product to see how closely the probability curve of the results mirror conventional dice. Some of them look like they must produce a radically different distribution of dice rolls.

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH
I'm pretty sure the ones like I posted exist only to look cool and fudge rolls when you need to

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Shazaminator posted:

Whenever I see dice with novelty shapes I can’t help but wonder if the people behind them have actually tested the final product to see how closely the probability curve of the results mirror conventional dice. Some of them look like they must produce a radically different distribution of dice rolls.

Now I want a bell-curve d20.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
So...2 d10s?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That only covers 2-20. That's 5% less good.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Roll 2d20 and find the mean of the two results for a bell curve d20, brought to you by a math flunky.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Shazaminator posted:

same friend who bought those novelty dice also bought a bunch of these: http://www.gamescience.com/7-Dice-Sets_c_126.html (and a few of the gamescience d6, for warmachine), as they claim to be the most balanced and accurate dice out there, then he got really loving angry when he kept rolling badly with them lol

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

same friend who bought those novelty dice also bought a bunch of these: http://www.gamescience.com/7-Dice-Sets_c_126.html (and a few of the gamescience d6, for warmachine), as they claim to be the most balanced and accurate dice out there, then he got really loving angry when he kept rolling badly with them lol

watching louis zocchi talk about his gamescience dice is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRzg_M8pQms

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Nebalebadingdong posted:

watching louis zocchi talk about his gamescience dice is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRzg_M8pQms

i love that he calls himself the colonel

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dice towers should be mandatory at every table

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

i love that he calls himself the colonel

For what it's worth, the Youtube comments suggest he did actually hold the rank of colonel in Alabama's state militia. :shrug:

Video is a pro click though

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Silhouette posted:

WHEN DID BIG DICE TOWER GET YOU, MAN? WHEN DID YOU SELL YOUR SOUL?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Bold Robot posted:

For what it's worth, the Youtube comments suggest he did actually hold the rank of colonel in Alabama's state militia. :shrug:

Video is a pro click though

Yeah I watched this video ages ago, when my brain spidery friend decided to have a giant meltdown about dice. Its still a pro watch though. I love how worked up he gets imitating the so called customers who get mad about the sprue marks on his dice. He goes from about a 3 to 11 immediately.

Also I am Australian so a man dressing up as Colonel Sanders (regardless of whether he actually had a rank of Colonel or not) and getting Mad About Dice is just the most incredible thing.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I’ve made the mistake of stopping at his booth at Origins many years back and being trapped in a 30 minute lecture about dice science.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

head58 posted:

I’ve made the mistake of stopping at his booth at Origins many years back and being trapped in a 30 minute lecture about dice science.

dience (dice science)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Moola posted:

dience (dice science)

thanks colonel

tholonel

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
he's such a goon but clearly he's found his passion. i don't think his opinions about dice are wrong either, just most people shouldn't give a poo poo

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_dice

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Silhouette posted:

The more elaborate the better. I want to see a lengthy moving diorama that is activated by the dice passing through.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

NTRabbit posted:

The more elaborate the better. I want to see a lengthy moving diorama that is activated by the dice passing through.

Rube Goldberg dice tower.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

NTRabbit posted:

The only part of Wingspan I enjoy is the incredibly cute birdhouse dice tower.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EoRBvdVPQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Astra Parmesan