Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jippa posted:

I don't think being an island helps because planes/boats/tunnels exist.

are you Gavin Williamson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I get to drive my car later this afternoon for the first time in over two weeks, I’m genuinely excited.

How sad.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

At least we now know
A) how badly the gov and civil service will gently caress up brexit
B) how popular it will make them

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

About to go on safari in the capital wasteland- checking on my folks place in Holborn and picking up a prescription from Baker Street. Am prepared for this to be weird and spooky.

Edit: Oxford Circus right now

Camrath fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 11, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Ditto, except I am heading to the Southern Outlands to offer a blood sacrifice and am taking the opportunity to have my first proper walk in weeks. I fully expect to collapse and die before I even make it half way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
gently caress the plp

https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1248951364195147782?s=20
https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1248952666442661889?s=20

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I was doing car stuff online today and the gov website says there's a 6 month extension to MOTs, then they direct you to a checking page, then it doesn't work unless it's due right away and they clarify that you will only be able to check your new MOT date 3 days before the original due date. So when this scheme inevitably fucks up or gets withdrawn/backtracked there's going to be a lot of people having to book their MOT with almost no notice or just saying gently caress it.

---

Also, definition of "serious, credible opposition" = one that will be grateful for second place and make no trouble for our government for the next however many years. But at least we'll have decorum!

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 11, 2020

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

BalloonFish posted:

I quickly grew tired of explaining this to people on social media (yeah, I know, I brought that on myself...). Including some.guy who was desperate to make this an example not only of BBC waste and profligacy but of the BBC actively killing people by hoarding medical equipment, pandemic or no. Even though it's massively cheaper and easier to just buy ventilators than to make realistic-looking props.

Ventilators weren't really all that expensive or sought-after until the virus spiked demand for them through the roof. Supreme irony would be if the BBC snapped them up cheap as props from an Austerity -hit NHS trust forced to reduce intensive care capacity. It probably took until now for someone in the props department to realise they were actually working units rather than just boxes that go beep.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 11, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jedit posted:

https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/1248569338896023552

The narrative commences to turn.

Also you can garner some schadenfreude from the replies, where the usual gang of gammons haven't yet adapted to the conflicting narrative and are about to start calling Oakeshott a traitor if they haven't already.

Great time for Starmer's team to be pushing the government for a brexit shtratedjeh

It's always struck me how there appears to be a very significant lag between the change of messaging from central government and its uptake by the general public. I mean thick people, specifically. It's particularly the case where the messaging has involved something that has tickled peoples' hindbrains. Government policy or even the government itself can change but you can still find people years later hung up on something that was being pushed by government and the gutter press but has long since ceased to be a priority. I've noticed it seems to be the case much more so with old people and I wonder if it's because they tend to get their news in more old fashioned ways. Possibly the phenomenon of time appearing to pass more quickly as you age plays a part in it. I don't know what exactly it is but fairly recently I've heard old people talk politics and bring up things like i'd like to know what they are going for to do about all these young people living on benefits and getting pregnant with large plasma televisions all day long!!!!! when the tide started to turn on austerity years ago and there's now a lot of awareness of how hard it is for young people, or i'd like to know what they are going for to do about all these useless management types doing nothing all day and taking big salaries!!!!!!! when it's now widely acknowledged that public services have been running underfunded for years.

Anyway regardless of how horrific the impact of the virus is, it's not going to be easy for shitehawks like Oakeshott to soften their stance on brexit because thanks to them a huge part of the population will still see getting their brexit as the most important political issue

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

i'd like to know what they are going for to do about all these young people living on benefits and getting pregnant with large plasma televisions all day long!!!!!
Me too, that sounds like a serious medical emergency in the making.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Me too, that sounds like a serious medical emergency in the making.

that was intentional ;-*

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

fairly recently I've heard old people talk politics and bring up things like i'd like to know what they are going for to do about all these young people living on benefits and getting pregnant with large plasma televisions all day long!!!!! when the tide started to turn on austerity years ago and there's now a lot of awareness of how hard it is for young people, or i'd like to know what they are going for to do about all these useless management types doing nothing all day and taking big salaries!!!!!!! when it's now widely acknowledged that public services have been running underfunded for years.

I'm not sure how many people are aware of these items even now. Certainly I know people in their 30s and 40s who are of the opinion that essentially if you're on benefits it's because you are useless/feckless/lazy/scrounging/scamming and who don't agree that public services have been underfunded.

I never cease to be amazed and shocked at how even well-educated younger friends and acquaintances come out with this Daily Express type poo poo. And while we do have access to alternative news sources, not sure how many actually read/listen to them. Most of the memes I see spread about on facebook for example are straight from the UKIP / Britain First / EDL type playbooks.

(Maybe me thinking of people in their 30s and 40s as being not old is the problem here!)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Orwell_Fan/status/1248668381521350657

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Also it's probably occurring to people like Oakeshott that no deal brexit during a global pandemic will make it harder for them to up and gently caress off somewhere else with all their money

Thank you government for not using your superweapon or whatever the gently caress to kill the entire population in one day i suppose :butt:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Lmaooooooo

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1248882813409075207?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

Thank you government for not using your superweapon or whatever the gently caress to kill the entire population in one day i suppose :butt:

Reset the counter, another fish jumped in the boat.

Also, looking forward to Ross Kemp: Britain's Hardest ICU's

SpitefulHammer
Dec 27, 2012
I moved from Wales to England to be with my partner back in January, and was living off savings while looking for work.

I had interviews cancelled as lockdown hit and now job market is basically non existent here as are my savings (former youth worker, so I didn't have much because the government doesn't give a poo poo about youth services) just wondering if its true you can't claim UC if your partner is working (in this case furloughed) before I try claiming?

Because if so I'm hosed.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
personally I'm really looking forward to the government and the media insisting that they acted early, did a really good and proactive job and only tens of thousands of people dying means they saved hundreds of thousands of lives

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

He's thick as pig poo poo.

SpitefulHammer posted:

I moved from Wales to England to be with my partner back in January, and was living off savings while looking for work.

I had interviews cancelled as lockdown hit and now job market is basically non existent here as are my savings (former youth worker, so I didn't have much because the government doesn't give a poo poo about youth services) just wondering if its true you can't claim UC if your partner is working (in this case furloughed) before I try claiming?

Because if so I'm hosed.

You can, but their earnings are taken into consideration. Previously my partner was on 24k so I ended up getting about thruppence, though I read somewhere that earnings aren't taken into consideration during the quarantine so you might be alright?

Could also be worth giving your former employer a ring to see if there's anything you can do remotely to support the people you worked with previously - either way, good luck

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Thank Christ this finally got ratio'ed, people were liking that far to much earlier.

SpitefulHammer
Dec 27, 2012

justcola posted:

He's thick as pig poo poo.

You can, but their earnings are taken into consideration. Previously my partner was on 24k so I ended up getting about thruppence, though I read somewhere that earnings aren't taken into consideration during the quarantine so you might be alright?

Could also be worth giving your former employer a ring to see if there's anything you can do remotely to support the people you worked with previously - either way, good luck

I'll give it a go then.

I'm still in touch with my previous employer, as I would volunteer there when visiting family and offer advice and technical support when needed etc but they are closed for the foreseeable future right now.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
A friend who evidently doesn't know anyone who actually knows about cars just asked me what's a dpf. Lol I hadn't thought about it but people whose big diesels usually get a nice regular high speed prolonged motorway commute are now doing just little across town trips to Tesco and they can't burn off the particulate.

Do you reckon laps round the ring road are allowed in this instance?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

XMNN posted:

personally I'm really looking forward to the government and the media insisting that they acted early, did a really good and proactive job and only tens of thousands of people dying means they saved hundreds of thousands of lives

Lessons will be learned, and this will only happen by pre-emptively giving the government a free pass.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
having a quick browse through the cunty section of twitter and it looks like the narrative they're trying to spin is that everyone's trying their best, criticising the government response is just political game playing "and you wouldn't do a better job", and "hindsight is 20/20" for the obvious gently caress-ups that even they can't excuse

tbh it will probably work given how the public seem to think, and there will be no kind of negative consequences for anyone responsible (apart from Johnson's unfortunately close encounter with death)

going to stop browsing Twitter and go out for my government sanctioned exercise activity before I defect to team virus

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol priti patel is giving todays press conference about covid

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

no surprise it was hodges vs o'brien in the centrist hack final on twitter

https://twitter.com/PopulismExpert/status/1248991287359033344?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

A friend who evidently doesn't know anyone who actually knows about cars just asked me what's a dpf.
Deutscher Penisfunk.

Maybe the (literal and figurative) fallout of this will get a lot more people on the plug-in hybrid wagon.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:yeshaha:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jose posted:

lol priti patel is giving todays press conference about covid

Someone was just saying on another forum that Patel hasn't been seen in weeks.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

SpitefulHammer posted:

I'll give it a go then.

I'm still in touch with my previous employer, as I would volunteer there when visiting family and offer advice and technical support when needed etc but they are closed for the foreseeable future right now.

I'd start your application today as the mechanics of it begins from when you first register. Don't know where you live but get in touch local charities and support organisations, some have funding for the year so need to spend it on this and that.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/WorstBlobby/status/1248996187723702274

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lambert posted:

The people that voted for Brexit and elected Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson are sure to be very introspective after this crisis is over.

On the plus side at least quite a few of them will be dead.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

Someone was just saying on another forum that Patel hasn't been seen in weeks.

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1248998436051062789?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I think some of you will enjoy this article about the end of life for oil rigs. It's long - 10500 words, and a nice geeky change from viruses.

theguardian.com/business/2017/may/02/where-oil-rigs-go-to-die

quote:

Where oil rigs go to die

When a drilling platform is scheduled for destruction, it must go on a thousand-mile final journey to the breaker’s yard. As one rig proved when it crashed on to the rocks of a remote Scottish island, this is always a risky business

by Tom Lamont

... lots more words....

The Graun posted a list of 25 of its long reads and that oil rig one is the first one I have read.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/mar/30/looking-for-a-distraction-here-are-25-of-our-favourite-long-reads

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Can you imagine the kind of person that would volunteer for this job

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/1248982829607854081

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
This is definitely going to happen

https://youtu.be/3FTDDpX4llI

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

NotJustANumber99 posted:

A friend who evidently doesn't know anyone who actually knows about cars just asked me what's a dpf. Lol I hadn't thought about it but people whose big diesels usually get a nice regular high speed prolonged motorway commute are now doing just little across town trips to Tesco and they can't burn off the particulate.

Do you reckon laps round the ring road are allowed in this instance?

The lockdown shouldn’t really make any difference. If they’ve been doing motorway miles regularly until the lockdown they’ll be fine - the engines will be able to handle a few weeks of short cold trips. If they are already doing frequent short cold trips then their DPF is already well on the way to clogging up and the lockdown is just slightly speeding up the process.

Laps around town will not help, if the DPF needs to regenerate it will need a sustained blast down the motorway for probably at least half an hour.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

peanut- posted:

Sweet, free megaphone.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/948900109311463424?s=19

Thank gently caress we've gotten rid of him and put the haircut twat in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

peanut- posted:

If a megaphone can amplify your voice across a park, imagine how far it can spread 'rona particles :ohdear: