Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Dicty Bojangles posted:

There isn't much rhyme or reason to post titling for ebooks

Of only there was an internationally recognised system for numbering such things?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Anyone had much luck with LazyLibrarian or ebooks in general?

I set it up in Docker over the weekend and tried searching for what I thought were a couple of mainstream authors but wasnt really impressed with the results. I'm thinking theres just not a big demand for ebooks online.

Its garbage. I just do manual searches for books I want in Hydra.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Heners_UK posted:

Of only there was an internationally recognised system for numbering such things?!

Ha! That's just about the most crackpot idea I've ever heard. Let me guess, you want to call it something idiotic like "International Standard Book Number", too? Sheesh, people crazy these days!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Matt Zerella posted:

Its garbage. I just do manual searches for books I want in Hydra.

Seriously, Lazy Librarian absolutely blows up my server. It's madness and garbage.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Seriously, Lazy Librarian absolutely blows up my server. It's madness and garbage.

Hey glad to hear its not just me!

Yeah I removed it, and started looking at indexers book sections. Still not finding a whole lot but oh-well was worth a shot.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

for fiction

IRC
server: irchighway
#ebooks

academic/textbooks/smart-people-books
libgen

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
It's rare that I don't find fiction on libgen too. In fact, I find that libgen and irchighway often have the same stuff.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's rare that I don't find fiction on libgen too. In fact, I find that libgen and irchighway often have the same stuff.

Yeah, this is actually true.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Stupid question time:

I have NZB360 and probably will pay for it, but I am trying to figure out how to set it all up. I have SABNZBD along with Sonarr and Radarr. I usually just browse using Sonarr/Radarr and it sends my requests over to SABNZBD, so SABNZBD doesn't need to get setup with NZB360, right? Just Sonarr/Radarr?

If so, do people typically have it setup so you can connect to it outside of the network, or only when you're at home? Right now I use remote desktop into the machine and search for what I want, but it's kind of a pain. I'd rather just add the thing to NZB360 on my phone, so once I get home (assuming I can go out once this Rona thing is over) it would be ready to go.

From what I'm reading so far, a lot of people just use it from within their own LAN, because otherwise you need a static IP and you need to lock it down, otherwise someone could access your stuff. Am I understanding this correctly?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there a good reason not to jump on Astraweb's $4/mo for life deal? After years of getting them for free due to an expired credit card I'd much rather go through Paypal than trust their payment processor.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Bank posted:

Stupid question time:

1. I have NZB360 and probably will pay for it, but I am trying to figure out how to set it all up. I have SABNZBD along with Sonarr and Radarr. I usually just browse using Sonarr/Radarr and it sends my requests over to SABNZBD, so SABNZBD doesn't need to get setup with NZB360, right? Just Sonarr/Radarr?

-You dont need to set up sab in nzb360 for it to work however it will let you monitor your downloads.

2. If so, do people typically have it setup so you can connect to it outside of the network, or only when you're at home? Right now I use remote desktop into the machine and search for what I want, but it's kind of a pain. I'd rather just add the thing to NZB360 on my phone, so once I get home (assuming I can go out once this Rona thing is over) it would be ready to go.

-you can hit the address within your own network without opening it to the outside just by going to it in your browser. NZB360 isnt going to be able to see it from outside of your network without opening ports.

3. From what I'm reading so far, a lot of people just use it from within their own LAN, because otherwise you need a static IP and you need to lock it down, otherwise someone could access your stuff. Am I understanding this correctly?

-If you want to browse it outside of your network you need to either do port forwarding to the machine (and put forms password on the apps), or do a reverse proxy. If you are in windows caddy makes reverse proxy easy, but then you have to have your own cert. A lot of people will tell you just to set up vpn on your router and vpn to your network then your app will work.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Is there a good reason not to jump on Astraweb's $4/mo for life deal? After years of getting them for free due to an expired credit card I'd much rather go through Paypal than trust their payment processor.

I believe it is just a highwinds reseller now, so should be compared against any other highwinds reseller on price.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Shumagorath posted:

This is the best Highwinds deal at the moment at $30/year https://www.newsgroup.ninja/en/signup?promo=special-deal

Another good option is Frugal. They're also Highwinds, though not with their full retention, but you also get 1TB a month from usenet.farm. $40/year https://billing.frugalusenet.com/signup/neQeZxl

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
$25/year unlimited https://www.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=2020112&couponcode=reddit50

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
$32.29/yr unlimited from https://newsgroupdirect.com/usenet-deals

Get them all! The more unlimited providers the better!

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

pzy posted:

$32.29/yr unlimited from https://newsgroupdirect.com/usenet-deals

Get them all! The more unlimited providers the better!

ngd isnt really that good these days to be honest.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

NGD is a UsenetExpress reseller now and they're terrible.

Ninja and NewsDemon are both on the Highwinds backbone so they have the same retention and groups. There's no reason to pay for more than one.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just wanted to give a quick update on the Nzbhydra2 performance/GC issue I reported a few days ago. The problem was Lazylibrarian. Once i disabled that, it all stopped happening. I think the problem is that I linked LL to my Calibre library, and for some reason that made it thrash on queries to Hydra. I don't really know why, but that was it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just wanted to give a quick update on the Nzbhydra2 performance/GC issue I reported a few days ago. The problem was Lazylibrarian. Once i disabled that, it all stopped happening. I think the problem is that I linked LL to my Calibre library, and for some reason that made it thrash on queries to Hydra. I don't really know why, but that was it.

I’ve never gotten LL to find anything I was ever looking for, has your experience been different?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TraderStav posted:

I’ve never gotten LL to find anything I was ever looking for, has your experience been different?

It’s not great but it does work. It keeps the latest Sanderson there without me worrying about what’s come out. And I do some fire and forget things that may show up months later.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Hughlander posted:

It’s not great but it does work. It keeps the latest Sanderson there without me worrying about what’s come out. And I do some fire and forget things that may show up months later.

https://youtu.be/X7XbukdoGmM

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I tried LazyLibrarian and just gave up. It wasnt worth the hassle, never seemed to find anything for me.

If I wasnt so particular about lights/electronics in bed I'd just buy a new kindle and load my local librarys app to get books. But as far as I know there are no new Kindles that use e-ink and arent back lit that you can load apps on.

IRC did have a few more options but again nothing spectacular.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I tried LazyLibrarian and just gave up. It wasnt worth the hassle, never seemed to find anything for me.

If I wasnt so particular about lights/electronics in bed I'd just buy a new kindle and load my local librarys app to get books. But as far as I know there are no new Kindles that use e-ink and arent back lit that you can load apps on.

You don't need to put an app on your Kindle specifically. Most libraries use an app like Libby that is a middleware between their electronic library and your Kindle library. Maybe check that out. You can put the Kindle app on your phone/tablet and see how it works. It's about the same as using an actual Kindle device.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Did you know you can turn off the backlight on a Kindle?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Did you know you can turn off the backlight on a Kindle?

Can you turn off the backlight on one that you can load an elibrary app on, as required above?

(Assuming your library uses Hoopla or other service that doesn’t have native Amazon ebook integration.)

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

You don't need a library app on the Kindle, you have the library send the book to your Kindle via email. My wife does it all the time with hers, it has a unique email address you enter into the library's system via the library's website.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Dicty Bojangles posted:

You don't need a library app on the Kindle, you have the library send the book to your Kindle via email. My wife does it all the time with hers, it has a unique email address you enter into the library's system via the library's website.

Again, some elibrary services support that, but some don’t.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

Again, some elibrary services support that, but some don’t.

Go ask here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366619

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I have a solution :filez:; but kramering in to incorrect someone when you don't understand the problem probably isn't that useful?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Matt Zerella posted:

Holy crap Bazarr works really well.

Seconded, set it up today and it handled my existing movie collection (close to) comprehensively. If anyone wants to add subtitle management to their automation setup: https://www.bazarr.media/

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

I have a solution :filez:; but kramering in to incorrect someone when you don't understand the problem probably isn't that useful?

Thanks, will do!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

kramering in to incorrect someone when you don't understand the problem probably isn't that useful?
Accepting that the person seemed to already have an understanding their library is somehow compatible with newer backlit kindles but wanted one without a light, letting them know that you can turn the light off is in fact useful and you are the one "kramering" in with "ackchyually not all libraries work with kindle." Hope that helps.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Sub Rosa posted:

Accepting that the person seemed to already have an understanding their library is somehow compatible with newer backlit kindles but wanted one without a light, letting them know that you can turn the light off is in fact useful and you are the one "kramering" in with "ackchyually not all libraries work with kindle." Hope that helps.

Here's the meat from the original quote:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

"I need an app for my library and the only Kindles that support apps (Fire, etc.) require a backlight"

So "Did you know you can turn the backlight off on Kindle?" isn't helpful, unless it can run apps, hence my followup?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

Seconded, set it up today and it handled my existing movie collection (close to) comprehensively. If anyone wants to add subtitle management to their automation setup: https://www.bazarr.media/

Using the free out-of-the-box sources? Like someone else said upthread I was getting no results last I tried it several months ago but didn't want to pay for captcha services and gave up like a wimp... but if it's working better now I guess it might be time to spin it back up.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hey all, I'm currently using NewsGroupDirect as my primary and I THINK it's a UsenetExpress reseller. I only thought that there was Giganews and Highwinds.

I'm looking for a block account to use as filler for missing articles/etc. So I don't use the same backbone, which reseller should I be looking at? Any notable good deals on blocks for said resellers at the moment?

Thanks!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks for the link to the e-reader thread. Its been years since I've done anything beyond a cursory look into this so it was good to see that there are a few new vendors out there making e-ink readers.

My local library does require an app that you have to be able to load from the Amazon Fire app store, they use something called CloudLibrary. Unfortunately my ancient kindle 4 cant load their app and from what I can tell I cant load the app on another device and then just email the file to my device with the kindle email address.

I dont really want to buy a new device. The kindle 4 is a perfect blend of size, weight, battery, etc and it works perfectly fine. I'm just a stickler about LEDs, and electronics in bed as I use to have reoccurring sleep issues. Once I increased my sleep hygiene if you will I started sleeping a lot better and I dont want to backslide.

There are a lot of good free ebooks still out there so I'll just go that route until this thing dies and then look to a new reader that might load apps in the future. Thanks for all of the links and helpful advice.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My local library does require an app that you have to be able to load from the Amazon Fire app store, they use something called CloudLibrary. Unfortunately my ancient kindle 4 cant load their app and from what I can tell I cant load the app on another device and then just email the file to my device with the kindle email address.
It is possible to read those books on a kindle, but it's some work to setup the workflow. Basically you would use Calibre with the deDRM plugin to strip the DRM from the epub file downloaded using their PC application, then convert the epub to a format your kindle can read.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, I'm currently using NewsGroupDirect as my primary and I THINK it's a UsenetExpress reseller. I only thought that there was Giganews and Highwinds.

I'm looking for a block account to use as filler for missing articles/etc. So I don't use the same backbone, which reseller should I be looking at? Any notable good deals on blocks for said resellers at the moment?

Thanks!

Any highwinds would be a good backup block account, like newsdemon or whatever. I would then probably get tweaknews as a 3rd block account, they tend to have a lot of things that are missing from the other two.

ClassH fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 13, 2020

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

TraderStav posted:

newsgroupdirect sucks now for anything over several days old. i think you will chew through a block account pretty quickly and the savings wont really make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SlipperyNipple posted:

newsgroupdirect sucks now for anything over several days old. i think you will chew through a block account pretty quickly and the savings wont really make sense.

Appreciate this feedback as I hadn't realized it, but yeah, it's pretty bad. My annual is up in June so now is a good time for a replacement recurring.

What's the newest hotness to jump on? I pretty much take goon hive mind opinions as gospel and rarely have been wrong.