Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

unpacked robinhood posted:

Will someone explain why people in Tennessee wait in line around a building for fast food?

that's how the line for a drive thru works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Will someone explain why people in Tennessee wait in line around a building for fast food?

Same thing here in Indiana. Since schools were let out on 3/13, I pretty much only leave the house in a car once a week for curbside grocery pick up. Every time, every fast food place I pass on the way is wrapped around the building and I don't get it either. With most of the workers being under 25, most would be asymptomatic if they had it and then they're folding your burrito or slinging lettuce onto your Big Macs with the same hands they're coughing into and also the same ones they didn't wash after their last poo poo.

The Facebook page for the addition I live in is constant talk not only about the food trucks they keep bringing in so homeowners can all congregate around the clubhouse like a bunch of idiots, but also for the various food delivery services. Now, not only do you have some high school kid coughing on your food during prep, now you add another possible source with the DoorDash driver.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Same thing here in Indiana. Since schools were let out on 3/13, I pretty much only leave the house in a car once a week for curbside grocery pick up. Every time, every fast food place I pass on the way is wrapped around the building and I don't get it either. With most of the workers being under 25, most would be asymptomatic if they had it and then they're folding your burrito or slinging lettuce onto your Big Macs.

The Facebook page for the addition I live in is constant talk not only about the food trucks they keep bringing in so homeowners can all congregate around the clubhouse like a bunch of idiots, but also for the various food delivery services. Now, not only do you have some high school kid coughing on your food during prep, now you add another possible source with the DoorDash driver.

a material number of americans cant cook at all

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Lasca posted:

They did cut the number of passenger sailings in half which has (not)surprisingly led to a lot of full ferries. For the past week it's been 80% full by 9am for the 11:00.

That's percentage is just for cars/trucks IIRC. Walk-ons basically don't count towards that, though maybe they do these days with half the number of sailings.

Jinxie Monroe posted:

'sup island buddy. Unfortunately BC Ferries was still held to Transport Canada's get out of your car thing so all those people got to crowd into the shared spaces. Apparently an exemption is now in the works.

I could swear that's only if you're in the lower car/truck decks though since there's no access in emergency except via the stairs. I've slept in my car repeatedly on the upper car decks on the Tsawwassen Swartz-Bay run, and no one cared. That said, it'd be nice for the truckers to avoid being on deck during this time.

Jinxie Monroe posted:

The conspiracy people seem to be out in force, I got into a big fight on a friend's facebook update about whether it's possible that the govt is just faking all this to inject rfid chips into people under the guise of a "vaccine". Also for some reason they are going to wait 18 months and keep people in isolation until then.
People I thought would 100% know better were actually falling for it too. It's like people's brains have all broken and they'll happily embrace any offered certain doom over a "we don't know". I've just blocked facebook on my computer for now, I don't need to be the person screaming "that's not how any of that works" to a group of people calmly telling me it's just a matter of opinion.

I feel very lucky that I've kept my parents mostly off facebook (mom has an unused account, never helped my dad sign up as he gets enough "fwd:fwd:fwd:" junk from his old college friends,) and so they've been taking it very, very seriously and staying in. However, it's a bit more a mixed bag with the in-laws thanks to Fox News, some of whom even traveled to Hawaii in March for vacation, only to have Trudeau say "get your asses back here ASAP" two days after arriving.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 11, 2020

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Same thing here in Indiana. Since schools were let out on 3/13, I pretty much only leave the house in a car once a week for curbside grocery pick up. Every time, every fast food place I pass on the way is wrapped around the building and I don't get it either. With most of the workers being under 25, most would be asymptomatic if they had it and then they're folding your burrito or slinging lettuce onto your Big Macs with the same hands they're coughing into and also the same ones they didn't wash after their last poo poo.

Grocery stores are out of a lot of things so people need to find food elsewhere. Also the type of people who eat high octane garbage from grocery stores can't even find that as other people hoard and fill their freezers with bagel bites and pizza rolls.

Now the easiest/only option to get salty process garbage and feed those cravings is fast food.

Why is this so hard for goons to process. You'd think this would be the one demographic that gets the need to slam down 5,000 calories of fat covered in ranch.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

There's a lot of metropolises that rely heavily on mass transit all over the world, and so far only New York has turned into a complete shitstorm. Tokyo trains were packed when I was there in early March, and have stayed packed, albeit not a busy as normal but still really busy. Millions of people pass through the busiest stations each day, and so far there hasn't been hundreds of deaths per day there. If conditions were the same as New York we should be seeing 1000+ deaths per day there. But more than half of people wear masks while in public, I saw workers sanitizing surfaces like handrails and ticket counters constantly. The trains are immaculately clean. The subways underground don't smell stagnant and stale so they probably have good air circulation. Sanitation makes a massive difference.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

I saw two N95 masks at the store today. One was being worn by an EXTREMELY fat man and he had it kind of perched on/under his chin at kind of a 45 angle outward so it was like he had a scoop under his mouth.

The other was on a slightly less fat but still very fat dude and it was just like over his nose, partly over his eyes and the bottom over his mouth as he was gasping for air from under it.

At that point I'm pretty sure the masks are doing more harm than possible good.

Whelp that's what happens when you're so busy telling people masks "aren't effective" so please don't buy them so we can that you don't spend the time teaching people to properly wear them. I mean sure it'd still happen but at least you'd see less of it.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i think about this every time i pass by fast food places that sell seven dollar potatoes. imagine selling forty cents worth of product for seven god drat dollars

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

legion989
Jan 18, 2013

Dread Head posted:

I think they actually relaxed that rule. I know someone who took a ferry about a week ago and they said everyone was just in their cars. Nothing is open on the passenger decks anyways and if you sit up there you can't move seats etc.

Even with the new transport canada rules you could stay in your car on the upper car decks. I know there are less sailings now but I don't think they where full before the long weekend so there is no reason for them to be full now.

They recently changed this for the Orient ferry on Long Island as well. It used to be mandatory to leave your car and go topside during transit, but now they're telling travelers to stay in their cars and not get out for anything.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

It isn't just Americans.

I know a handful of functional adults who have important jobs and are 100% incapable of cooking, or doing anything really, in a kitchen. Their cupboards are full of chips and unused baking stuff/ spices, their fridges are full of sauces and leftover fast food.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Another Bill posted:

quoting this post so I can come back and say I told you so in 3 weeks

VikingSkull posted:

per capita I bet we don't

unless of course you look at China's numbers and trust them 100%, in which case you might have a TBI

Another Bill posted:

Nobody is going to get as hosed up as the United States, except maybe India and other places of staggering poverty
hth

It's been 3 weeks let's see how these predictions are aging...

https://twitter.com/MG_Miller/status/1249008683754958850

Yup.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

[/quote]

Yup.
[/quote]

Is there a per capital rate somewhere?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Another Bill posted:

quote:

Yup.

But they said per capita and you just posted total nationwide.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Did you not notice the "per capita" in your rush to say "I told you so" or?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
they are electoral college deaths

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
it's pretty safe outside, i went out there and i didn't see any corona, just a coroner and some polite gentleman that coughed directly into my throat

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

As of today that number is up to 61. Italy also climbed to 322.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
So should I just buy a pulse oximeter at this point? Or is asking that just an iteration on the "should I buy a mouth cover" question?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Burt Sexual posted:

I imagine death rate per capital is lower in the states since the rich can afford health care and the poors just die.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

I doubt that your intense stomach acid and saliva is a vector for corvid. more likely you'd get sick from touching the food then touching a mucus membrane, or breathing the air from a food service worker.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/08/822903487/how-safe-is-it-to-eat-take-out

I am not an expert but my concern is more that viral particles are being delivered to your mouth and throat, locations that this coronavirus is commonly showing up in. The commonly provided medical advice advice is "don't touch your eyes, nose, or mouth"

Articles like this one have a seemingly inconsistent message as they say that there's no proof that you can get infected from contaminated food but also that surface transmission is a thing and you should treat delivery containers like they're radioactive waste. It even has the eyes, nose, and mouth line. Like, what? Contaminated hands shouldn't touch my mouth but contaminated food is okay?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ilmucche posted:

I imagine death rate per capital is lower in the states since the rich can afford health care and the poors just die.

Lol

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The poors die and are offloaded like trash into massgraves in america

and this aint even a joke

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Gianthogweed posted:

How much do the people of London rely on public transportation?
Have you heard of The Tube? Or The London Underground?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The Modern Leper posted:

So should I just buy a pulse oximeter at this point? Or is asking that just an iteration on the "should I buy a mouth cover" question?

I got one right after I had pneumonia a couple of years ago because when I finally went to the doctor after being sick for like 4 weeks my O2 saturation was only 73 which is extremely dangerous. I had no clue, I even went to Mexico City during it, thinking it was just a bad chest cold. I like having it around so I can make sure I never put myself in that situation again.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ has a sortable deaths per million column.

Man San Marino has 1k per mill and is still climbing. They were pretty early, and are pretty densely populated, hopefully most places will do better than that..

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Fartbox posted:

You got a probe for making an "in america!!!" post in another thread, you need a new gimmick or something else to be mad about.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I am not an expert but my concern is more that viral particles are being delivered to your mouth and throat, locations that this coronavirus is commonly showing up in. The commonly provided medical advice advice is "don't touch your eyes, nose, or mouth"

Articles like this one have a seemingly inconsistent message as they say that there's no proof that you can get infected from contaminated food but also that surface transmission is a thing and you should treat delivery containers like they're radioactive waste. It even has the eyes, nose, and mouth line. Like, what? Contaminated hands shouldn't touch my mouth but contaminated food is okay?

My interpretation was always that salvia holds and contains viral loads, but it's not as worrisome since it drains to your stomach. On the flipside, you don't want to touch your mouth because can transfer it to sensitive mucus membranes on yourself or other people.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Big Beef City posted:

You got a probe for making an "in america!!!" post in another thread, you need a new gimmick or something else to be mad about.

The whole world is mad at america as a gimmick

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Fartbox posted:

Not a gimmick :canada:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

America :argh: :argh: :argh:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
anyone got a good write up on replicating 3m mask filters?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Fartbox posted:

only if youre "unclaimed"

also military service guarantees citizenship. do you want to know more?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

The Modern Leper posted:

Probably not. They're useful in the abstract, but nowhere near as useful as a basic thermometer. If you have a temperature and trouble breathing, you shouldn't be sitting around with a pulse oximeter trying to figure out if it's really serious; you should be getting whatever hospital care is available in your community.

Also, they're overpriced right now, with no guarantee of any kind of quality. There's a lot of incentive to turn out crappy, uncalibrated finger clips with red LEDs in them on Amazon at $30-40 a pop. Maybe they'll read 85 SpO2 on a healthy marathon runner; maybe they'll keep it pegged at 100 on someone who's passing out because they can't get enough oxygen to their brain. The seller doesn't care; on the off chance they get caught, they'll just shut down "GLBORT Oximeters" and open up the new, totally reliable "SPORTSKY Oximeters."

Alan Smithee posted:

anyone got a good write up on replicating 3m mask filters?

You can't do it at home. The key part is the filter medium, which needs to be made in a specialized factory. If you could build a DIY substitute that worked anywhere near as well, people would be doing everything they could to turn household objects into PPE for healthcare workers.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
has the finnish plague cloud simulation been posted yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZSKoNGTR6Q

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Bistromatic posted:

has the finnish plague cloud simulation been posted yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZSKoNGTR6Q

Person should covered their mouth.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Fartbox posted:

Borders were closed because america kept sending infected people to other countries. That alone is a good reason to be mad.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

central dogma posted:

Person should covered their mouth.

I'm sorry did you just come out of a cave and don't know how human beings act?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

Blitter posted:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ has a sortable deaths per million column.

Man San Marino has 1k per mill and is still climbing. They were pretty early, and are pretty densely populated, hopefully most places will do better than that..

they're a tax-haven in the middle of italy - 33somethin thousand people