Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mozi posted:

if trump cared about the problem he would have made sure at that point that we were producing tests that worked instead of just jumping on the chance to close some more borders and gently caress off to his golf course and tell everyone the problem would be over in two weeks

it doesn't matter if you're technically correct that china covered it up in december. it just doesn't matter right now at all in the slightest and the only reason anyone is bringing it up is to try to find a boogeyman to distract from the fact that trump completely and utterly poo poo the bed and is the direct cause of, minimally, tens of thousands of american deaths

China causing a global pandemic through sheer hubris and recklessness seems like a pretty major open end to tie and deal with once the dust settles, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

quote:

Trump said Democrats “loudly criticized and protested” his announced travel restrictions, and that they “called me a racist because I made that decision.” Trump is overstating Democratic opposition. None of the party’s congressional leaders and none of the Democratic candidates running for president have directly criticized that decision, though at least two Democrats have.

Lovely weasel wording and semantics gaming there for a "fact-checking" website.

Red is not better than orange.

Mozi posted:

it doesn't matter if you're technically correct that china covered it up in december. it just doesn't matter right now at all in the slightest and the only reason anyone is bringing it up is to try to find a boogeyman to distract from the fact that trump completely and utterly poo poo the bed and is the direct cause of, minimally, tens of thousands of american deaths

Meanwhile his approval ratings regarding his handling of the virus situation continue to hold steady or improve.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

China causing a global pandemic through sheer hubris and recklessness seems like a pretty major open end to tie and deal with once the dust settles, tbh

once this is behind us, knock yourself out

china did cover up sars 1 and promised they wouldn't ever do that again so yes i am completely in favor of trying to figure out some way as a global community to make sure it won't happen again

we can do that when the emergency is over. for the time being picking fights isn't going to save any lives

Mozi fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 27, 2020

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Cacafuego posted:

Note: this is not defending the system, just clarifying how it works.

How it is, not how it works, because that isn't working.
(not having a go at you btw, just the broken system)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Tallgeese posted:

Lovely weasel wording and semantics gaming there for a "fact-checking" website.

Red is not better than orange.

Meanwhile his approval ratings regarding his handling of the virus situation continue to hold steady or improve.

as have the ratings of most every leader. it's what happens. people thing he's doing something and it's not obvious right now to most people who aren't very plugged in that it's not sufficient

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

VikingSkull posted:

ok what about the other countries that this is ravaging, tell me how Trump hosed them up

I'm sorry that this is hard for you to follow but Trump does not administer any other nations besides the United States.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

VikingSkull posted:

ok what about the other countries that this is ravaging, tell me how Trump hosed them up

Nobody is going to get as hosed up as the United States, except maybe India and other places of staggering poverty
hth

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

steinrokkan posted:

There's already conspiracy theories going around that the virus was spread by US servicemen visiting China. It seems prudent from a PR standpoint to address that immediately.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

VikingSkull posted:

World leaders had months in advance to prepare for the pandemic and none of them did anything because nobody wanted to upset the economy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Cockler posted:

To again clarify i'm homeless and have literally nothing but 3 outfits worth of clothes 20 dollars and five days in a hotel

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903318

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

lol why are you idiots arguing with vikingskull

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Another Bill posted:

Nobody is going to get as hosed up as the United States, except maybe India and other places of staggering poverty
hth

per capita I bet we don't

unless of course you look at China's numbers and trust them 100%, in which case you might have a TBI

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Mozi posted:

as have the ratings of most every leader. it's what happens. people thing he's doing something and it's not obvious right now to most people who aren't very plugged in that it's not sufficient

*stock market crashes and the entire nation is shut down*

look most people just arent plugged in right now

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
people are going to remember the lame impeachment attempt leading up to this, and the open boards crowd screaming racist and stopping flights 1/31 more than any of the trump bungling of this sorry guys

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I'm going to start the COVIDchute™ business in NYC to strap a construction style garbage chute on to hospitals that feeds a dumpster right next to the temporary FEMA morgue. This will deposit the corpse onto a conveyor belt that will drive jobs by employing assembly line style autopsy-ists to slice n' dice the body as necessary and then shuttle the body directly to the onsite cremation facilities.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

WaltherFeng posted:

World leaders had months in advance to prepare for the pandemic and none of them did anything because nobody wanted to upset the economy.

with the notable exceptions of south korea and taiwan (both democracies)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mnoba posted:

people are going to remember the lame impeachment attempt leading up to this, and the open boards crowd screaming racist and stopping flights 1/31 more than any of the trump bungling of this sorry guys

Not to mention the Democrats giving the GOP free attack ads by stopping the infusion of TrumpBux™.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

if only there was some kind of act that may or may not have already been enacted to make companies build things needed to defend against this. Some kind of defense production act if you will.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

VikingSkull posted:

per capita I bet we don't

unless of course you look at China's numbers and trust them 100%, in which case you might have a TBI

quoting this post so I can come back and say I told you so in 3 weeks

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I guess it's the time of the day when americans want to argue about their garbage can of a president

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Adolf Glitter posted:

How it is, not how it works, because that isn't working.
(not having a go at you btw, just the broken system)

Agreed!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

It started in china, but all western countries are making it worse.

It seems pandemias are similar to wars. For wars countries have armies. A lot of money is spend to make sure your soldiers are ready and are well armed.

But for this, nothing, or very littel. Also since most new ilnness start in china, people on asia know how to fight this type of war better than us.

Is okay that admit that this has found us with our pants down. That somebody has not done the need about this. Our governements, and perhaps society.

You can call angry on China door at much has you want, but is US that we have to learn and change.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Andrast posted:

I guess it's the time of the day when americans want to argue about their garbage can of a president

a full 50% of the people arguing about Trump itt aren't even Americans

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

The fact that every closet GBS chud is crawling out of the woodwork to all of a sudden post about this, is proof that they know this is hugely threatening to his re-election and that they're scared as gently caress lol.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Another Bill posted:

quoting this post so I can come back and say I told you so in 3 weeks

Quoting this post to gawk at a guy believing China's numbers.

Numbers that are producing this image:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

^^^ a goon support fund for people who really need it

Following up on this actually. Anyone staying in the house right now, in a stable employment position, and saving way more money than they did in the past should consider donating at least some of their extra savings. Could be to other goons through this, could be to charities that really need the support right now like food banks and shelters.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Serious question please answer if you know
Its time sensitive
Long story short: I had a super dangerous gross job for 8 years that I had been trying to make safer for years, tons of documentation, etc. When this started I went to Administrator and said "It's an unsafe work environment, I want you to lay me off rn, we can work this out." Veiled threat, totally worked, they did and volunteered to pay me 2 more weeks for "working from home." I wanted lay off so could get state unemployment obviously.

Now there is 4 months unemployment money from feds in balance. Is this automatic OR does my employer have to say to feds it was a Corona related layoff specifically?

(Im no scammer, I've never collected unemployment in my life and I absolutely should not have had to work there, I hope to post about that job someday. )

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hobbez posted:

This is ridiculous unless you are over the age of 50 or live with someone with serious cardiac, immune, or respiratory commorbidities

Nah. Anyone can get this and get very very ill. If you are in tiptop health and under 50 that chance is low, but low isn't zero.

It's just a matter of how much inconvenience you are willing to put up with for marginal increases in safety. Leaving non-perishables in garage for a few days isn't that much inconvenience if you have a garage. I live in a tiny apartment so I'm not going to quarantine my groceries, but there's nothing wrong with it if you have the space.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Grape posted:

The fact that every closet GBS chud is crawling out of the woodwork to all of a sudden post about this, is proof that they know this is hugely threatening to his re-election and that they're scared as gently caress lol.

he has the highest approval rating of his presidency, lol

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Numbers that are producing this image:

Need China labeled on this so I can know how bad they are showing.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Cacafuego posted:

I'm going to start the COVIDchute™ business in NYC to strap a construction style garbage chute on to hospitals that feeds a dumpster right next to the temporary FEMA morgue. This will deposit the corpse onto a conveyor belt that will drive jobs by employing assembly line style autopsy-ists to slice n' dice the body as necessary and then shuttle the body directly to the onsite cremation facilities.

Hmm the process could be refined by putting the autopsy-ists in their own conveyor belts next to the corpse belt, allowing them to perform the autopsy while still maintaining corpse velocity.

Hell, they could even be housed in the empty fema concentration camps and paid in company scrip redeemable at all Trump properties

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Grape posted:

Most of the western world would definitely have.

Outside of the sort of people VikingSkull votes for.

Most European countries did gently caress all even after it became known the virus infected tens of thousands in China. Even when it popped up in Italy most countries thought "it'll be fine, i'm sure it'll stay south of the Alps, no need to issue a travel warning for all of Italy, maybe just these villages with confirmed cases".

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Some recovered patients in Wuhan are testing positive

quote:

Last Thursday, Wuhan reported for the first time since the outbreak began that it had no new cases of the virus from the day before — a milestone in China's virus containment efforts. The city reported a zero rise in new cases for the following four days.

Assessing asymptomatic carriers

But Caixin, an independent Chinese news outlet, reported earlier this week that Wuhan hospitals were continuing to see new cases of asymptomatic virus carriers, citing a health official who said he had seen up to a dozen such cases a day.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/27/822407626/mystery-in-wuhan-recovered-coronavirus-patients-test-negative-then-positive

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Grape posted:

:emptyquote:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mnoba posted:

Need China labeled on this so I can know how bad they are showing.

It's the one and only country in the world whose active (gold) cases are somehow shrinking.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Tallgeese posted:

China's numbers have nothing to do with it dude. YOU DON'T HAVE A PUBLIC HEALTH SYSTEM

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

that and the Chinese covering up a deadly pandemic

Still can’t believe the Chinese were responsible for all those spring breakers in Florida.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

VikingSkull posted:

a full 50% of the people arguing about Trump itt aren't even Americans

Some of them are even from useless non-counting "pork rind" esque parts of America like upstate NY.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tei posted:

It started in china, but all western countries are making it worse.

It seems pandemias are similar to wars. For wars countries have armies. A lot of money is spend to make sure your soldiers are ready and are well armed.

But for this, nothing, or very littel. Also since most new ilnness start in china, people on asia know how to fight this type of war better than us.

Is okay that admit that this has found us with our pants down. That somebody has not done the need about this. Our governements, and perhaps society.

You can call angry on China door at much has you want, but is US that we have to learn and change.

It would have been easier to fight the spread if the political dances preceding any effective measures had started a month earlier than they did. Which would have been possible had the relevant information been shared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Another Bill posted:

China's numbers have nothing to do with it dude. YOU DON'T HAVE A PUBLIC HEALTH SYSTEM

Your explicit claim was that the US would do worse than China. Sounds like you're backpedaling already.