Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

Regarding the latter, what about a quarantine situation? I have a flight planned to New York City next month. If either my state or the state of New York impose a quarantine stopping commercial air travel, is that also not covered?

A whistleblower at the CDC already said that they had recommended that folks over 60 refrain from flying commercially and the administration said no dice. I have a feeling that air travel will never end up getting officially restricted even if it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

surf rock posted:

Regarding the latter, what about a quarantine situation? I have a flight planned to New York City next month. If either my state or the state of New York impose a quarantine stopping commercial air travel, is that also not covered?

Isn't air travel under federal jurisdiction, generally speaking?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sock The Great posted:

A whistleblower at the CDC already said that they had recommended that folks over 60 refrain from flying commercially and the administration said no dice. I have a feeling that air travel will never end up getting officially restricted even if it should.

I am generally level headed and shy away from cynicism or conspiracy as much as I can, but in this case I would agree. I think it would take a problem of unprecedented proportions to get the U.S. to say anything official about air travel domestically. It would cripple the industry and have ripple effects across the economy.

The only time anything like that has happened is 9/11's ground stop.

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

surf rock posted:

Quarantine is covered by the Chase CSR trip cancellation insurance: “The Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption benefit covers a broad array of ‘what-ifs’ that can impact travel plans, reimbursing if: ... Quarantine of You or Your Traveling Companion imposed by a Physician or by a competent governmental authority having jurisdiction, due to health reasons”

The terms are available staring at page 39 of this document.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

cowtown posted:

Quarantine is covered by the Chase CSR trip cancellation insurance: “The Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption benefit covers a broad array of ‘what-ifs’ that can impact travel plans, reimbursing if: ... Quarantine of You or Your Traveling Companion imposed by a Physician or by a competent governmental authority having jurisdiction, due to health reasons”

The terms are available staring at page 39 of this document.

I read that as if we were quarantined, not that the country was quarantined before travelers arrived. Do you have clarity on that?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Does anyone have information on how cancellations work through Chase Ultimate Rewards when paid partially in points and in dollars? I have a flight to Europe though Air Transat in August and have an option of cancelling a ticket for $300 per. The tickets were purchase with ~$500 out of pocket and the remaining $400 in value in points. If I exercise the $300 fee will I forfeit the points that I used toward the purchase? Will they be refunded in dollars in lieu of points, or actual points?

Trying to size my total potential loss if Chase and/or AirTransat doesn't have any forgiving options for me.

Thanks!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sounds like Q2 Freedom 5% categories are Grocery Stores, Gym Memberships, and Fitness Clubs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I did a balance transfer that resulted in the destination card going to 50% utilization and my credit score dropped 20 points wtf you jerks my total utilization didn’t change.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I did a balance transfer that resulted in the destination card going to 50% utilization and my credit score dropped 20 points wtf you jerks my total utilization didn’t change.

Individual card utilization is also a factor. If you were to max out one of your cards, for example, then other lenders are going to see that, start panicking, and most likely lower your limits or close your cards before you could max theirs out too.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
That hasn't been my case (re: accounts closed or limits reduced) in fact I tend to still get limit increases approved or automated. Also, unless both cards close their billing cycles and report around the same time there's a chance that your utilization does double the amount you transferred until the card you transferred from reports the balance as paid.

i routinely open balance transfer cards and transfer as much as possible onto them and haven't had issues, last one I opened I immediately took to 90%. Score drops a bit and slowly climbs again until I'm ready to open a new card and start the process over again. Your score will rebound and unless you need it soon there's nothing to worry about. 20 points isn't much and shouldn't affect anything like insurance rates.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

TraderStav posted:

Does anyone have information on how cancellations work through Chase Ultimate Rewards when paid partially in points and in dollars? I have a flight to Europe though Air Transat in August and have an option of cancelling a ticket for $300 per. The tickets were purchase with ~$500 out of pocket and the remaining $400 in value in points. If I exercise the $300 fee will I forfeit the points that I used toward the purchase? Will they be refunded in dollars in lieu of points, or actual points?

Trying to size my total potential loss if Chase and/or AirTransat doesn't have any forgiving options for me.

Thanks!

I had to cancel once for medical reasons and IIRC they refunded the points pretty quickly but I needed to file a travel insurance claim for the cash. No idea if their insurance covers pandemics, assuming that's your reason.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
I canceled a hotel stay this week which was originally booked through the Chase Travel Portal using points and cash. They refunded both the points and cash at the same time. Not sure if airline tickets would be different or not.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Awesome, thanks for the data points. At this point I just want to understand my absolute max loss if nothing is waived or transfers allowed because of the virus. Sounds like I would get either my points back or value of them, cash I spent, less the $300/ticket fee if I cancel. $1500 cost on my $15k budgeted trip would suck but not the end of the world considering the circumstances.

I'm at the point right now that if they had an offer to cancel/change for my trip fee free I'd take it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So yay, luckily some of the stuff I purchased is getting properly cancelled rather than postponed, so I'm getting refunds.

Now, I paid via PayPal on my Chase card because of the 5% rewards at the time. The card I used was the one that was cloned so exchanged for a new card. Am I right in thinking because the account is still open, just under a different number, then the refund will be applied to my account with no issue? I'm expecting about 5 in total, so I really don't want headaches of phone calls etc.

Also I carry about a $200 balance on this card, I'm presuming the money will go towards this then I'll have a credit of say $900... I can then transfer this back to my bank? I don't really want it on a credit card, I'd rather it in my savings.

Adding to the pile I need to work out why I was doublecharged for my water bill this month, it never ends!

Blistering Sunburn
Aug 2, 2005
We've had the CSP for close to a year now and aren't seeing a ton of value after the sign-up bonus since we don't travel much (even pre-pandemic). I'm thinking of product changing to Chase Freedom to avoid the annual fee.

1. We paid the day 0 annual fee last year, will the bank be annoyed if we cancel/change before the 1 year fee hits?
2. Does anyone know if the points we have will transfer? Not a great time to redeem points for travel!
3. Our other main card is the Citi double cash so the comparator is basically 2% on everything without thinking about it. Any other cards in Chase world we should change to instead of Freedom?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Blistering Sunburn posted:

We've had the CSP for close to a year now and aren't seeing a ton of value after the sign-up bonus since we don't travel much (even pre-pandemic). I'm thinking of product changing to Chase Freedom to avoid the annual fee.

1. We paid the day 0 annual fee last year, will the bank be annoyed if we cancel/change before the 1 year fee hits?
2. Does anyone know if the points we have will transfer? Not a great time to redeem points for travel!
3. Our other main card is the Citi double cash so the comparator is basically 2% on everything without thinking about it. Any other cards in Chase world we should change to instead of Freedom?
I don't think you can downgrade before one year is up (due to law). But if you downgrade, your points should stay with you. You can't transfer after downgrading, though.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
AMEX Plat question. I'm up for my annual fee on my next statement (the one closing this month I believe).

Obviously the value prop has wildly changed with the end of the world.

Should I wait until my statement gets cut to argue with them about it? Or do I need to do it before the statement closes?

Has anyone said anything about modifying the annual fees due to travel being way down?

I mean, worst thing would be I product swap into something else to keep my MR active then just get the card again whenever I start traveling again.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FunOne posted:

AMEX Plat question. I'm up for my annual fee on my next statement (the one closing this month I believe).

Obviously the value prop has wildly changed with the end of the world.

Should I wait until my statement gets cut to argue with them about it? Or do I need to do it before the statement closes?

Has anyone said anything about modifying the annual fees due to travel being way down?

I mean, worst thing would be I product swap into something else to keep my MR active then just get the card again whenever I start traveling again.

Keep your MR active by applying to a no-AF Amex Everyday credit card (or the AF-having Everyday Preferred). The PC options for the Plat are just their other charge cards.

How long have you had your plat? If it's over a year (i.e. if you've already paid two AFs), feel free to cancel or PC before the next AF pops up. Otherwise, wait til after it posts.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Small White Dragon posted:

I don't think you can downgrade before one year is up (due to law). But if you downgrade, your points should stay with you. You can't transfer after downgrading, though.

I believe the law applies to upgrading because that is adding a fee. Downgrading should be fine.

Who cares if the bank is annoyed? It's a bank. gently caress em.

Finally, why post, just call and find out.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I got a flyer for a cash bonus and a 0.5% increase to the cash back % on my Citi Double Cash card if I open a Citi checking account and keep it funded for X days. I pulled the trigger, but it turns out I actually signed up for some sort of horrific account purgatory. First the debit card never showed up, then I couldn't link the account with my credit cards, now after trying to fix things I appear to have been locked out entirely and their customer service is beyond useless (oops, can't unlock without your debit card number!). They have separate branches for credit cards and checking accounts and no one knows how to fix anything, so I keep getting booted around. I have tried calling and using the stupid chat support three times now. To top it off, I don't think they ever applied my sign-up bonus, either. This is hell.

These fuckers just finally credited my account with the bonus. What a pain in the rear end process.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

astral posted:

Keep your MR active by applying to a no-AF Amex Everyday credit card (or the AF-having Everyday Preferred). The PC options for the Plat are just their other charge cards.

How long have you had your plat? If it's over a year (i.e. if you've already paid two AFs), feel free to cancel or PC before the next AF pops up. Otherwise, wait til after it posts.

I've had it for a while. I know how to change/update the cards, the bigger question was whether or not I need to do it before it cuts to have an argument with them and if anyone had seen anything regarding fees. I've heard in the past they were very stingy with making any adjustments to the AF and I was wondering if that had changed.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FunOne posted:

I've had it for a while. I know how to change/update the cards, the bigger question was whether or not I need to do it before it cuts to have an argument with them and if anyone had seen anything regarding fees. I've heard in the past they were very stingy with making any adjustments to the AF and I was wondering if that had changed.

Sounds like it should be fine to cancel or change it ahead of the AF being assessed, then. You have 30 days after the closing date of the billing statement with the annual fee to cancel it and get the fee refunded. After those 30 days they will no longer refund (or pro-rate) the fee if you cancel.

One other consideration about when to close is that you may need to give it a couple of months from any last purchases you've made on the card so any pending points post.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you want to keep it and argue for a lesser fee or something then you need o wait for the annual fee to show up. If you want to product change or cancel then you can do that at anytime though there is a suggestion to wait a minimum of 12 months.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

asur posted:

If you want to keep it and argue for a lesser fee or something then you need o wait for the annual fee to show up. If you want to product change or cancel then you can do that at anytime though there is a suggestion to wait a minimum of 12 months.

Yeah, if I'm travelling then the AF is fine since I make it up in the benefits, but if I'm not then I don't want to pay it. If I can just wait until it posts on a statement then I'll have more info to argue with them and either open a new Amex and close this one or see if they'll credit some amount back to me.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

FunOne posted:

Yeah, if I'm travelling then the AF is fine since I make it up in the benefits, but if I'm not then I don't want to pay it. If I can just wait until it posts on a statement then I'll have more info to argue with them and either open a new Amex and close this one or see if they'll credit some amount back to me.

You have 30 days after the statement with the AF on it to close the card for a full refund of the AF. IF you product change, it does prorate so if you plan to do that then calling right when the annual fee posts is the best approach.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Chase has updated the sign up bonus for the IBP to a $15k spend in 3 months for 100,000 UR points. I had planned this as my next card but that’s about what I spend on my CC annually so this one is out.

I guess I’m just rolling with my CFU + CSP for the foreseeable future.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Was approved for the US Bank Cash+ this morning. Realized after approval that one of the bills I intended to get 5% back on will not qualify for any category (bundled cell/home internet with local provider. I thought it coded as a utility but it's actually under telecommunication, local and long distance). Annoying, but I can still see a decent reward with home power and trash bills, and I guess I'll do fast food for the other 5% category.

Not really important with what's going on but it's a distraction I guess.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

angryrobots posted:

Was approved for the US Bank Cash+ this morning. Realized after approval that one of the bills I intended to get 5% back on will not qualify for any category (bundled cell/home internet with local provider. I thought it coded as a utility but it's actually under telecommunication, local and long distance). Annoying, but I can still see a decent reward with home power and trash bills, and I guess I'll do fast food for the other 5% category.

Not really important with what's going on but it's a distraction I guess.

Mark 'Cell Phone Providers' or 'TV/Internet/Streaming' for your other 5% category and see if it picks that one up.

McPimpenheimer
Jul 12, 2006

Pimpin with pride since '85.
I was originally going to keep the Chase Sapphire Reserve even with the upcoming annual fee increase next month, but with the state of the world now I'm not confident I'll be able to hit the break-even point this year to justify keeping it. Here's hoping I can manage to do a product change this afternoon. Is the general recommendation to get the Chase Freedom if you don't already have that card?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

McPimpenheimer posted:

I was originally going to keep the Chase Sapphire Reserve even with the upcoming annual fee increase next month, but with the state of the world now I'm not confident I'll be able to hit the break-even point this year to justify keeping it. Here's hoping I can manage to do a product change this afternoon. Is the general recommendation to get the Chase Freedom if you don't already have that card?

That or the Freedom Unlimited for 1.5x on everything if you don't already have a 2% or 2x (or higher) card.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

quote:

Reinstating flight awards
Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage® mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage® award if your reservation is canceled before departure and if the ticket has not expired.
The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket. Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket.

lol thanks American.

gregday
May 23, 2003

CSR is lowering the annual fee from $550 to $450 for this cycle (in the form of a $100 credit once the AF posts).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

gregday posted:

CSR is lowering the annual fee from $550 to $450 for this cycle (in the form of a $100 credit once the AF posts).

....But not for everyone?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Maybe it’s just because my AF comes up in June.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Amex is extending the minimum spend requirement from 3 months to 6 months "for eligible Card accounts approved from December 1, 2019 through May 31, 2020". Note that in some cases this is retroactive for some people who may already have failed to meet their spend.

Apparently the site will still show 3 months but it'll be 6 months on the backend.

quote:

Due to the impact of COVID-19, for eligible Card accounts approved from December 1, 2019 through May 31, 2020 for which you are eligible for a welcome offer, the period to make eligible purchases to earn your welcome bonus will be extended for an additional 3 months. Eligible Cards are U.S. Consumer and Business Cards issued by American Express National Bank to a Basic Card Member.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So Discover is 10% on gas stations (5% + 5% match first year). I barely drive, especially now. Are there any gas stations with online stores that I can purchase GC's from? Maybe Amazon giftcards from WaWa or 7-11 online?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Likely would not code as a gas station if you were able to buy such a thing online.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
You know, several months ago I asked this thread what credit card reward to churn through next, and got recommened the southwest companion pass?

Well, I now have a southwest companion pass! During a time when it's completely unusable. Alas.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Amara posted:

You know, several months ago I asked this thread what credit card reward to churn through next, and got recommened the southwest companion pass?

Well, I now have a southwest companion pass! During a time when it's completely unusable. Alas.

I haven't paid attention to whether that one specifically would get extended, but a lot of places are extending status right now. I wouldn't be surprised if the companion pass were also extended; it would be a great opportunity for Southwest to fill more planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

astral posted:

I haven't paid attention to whether that one specifically would get extended, but a lot of places are extending status right now. I wouldn't be surprised if the companion pass were also extended; it would be a great opportunity for Southwest to fill more planes.

United, Delta, and Alaska have announced extensions. To my knowledge, American and Southwest have not (yet).