Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The thing I remember about Yacht club is they said "Welcome aboard" or something to that effect. So corny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Hazo posted:

I told my wife about my apprehension about keeping our AP extension and going back so soon after reopening and I've never seen her look so sad :(

did you show her the videos of kids licking stuff?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/florida-spring-break-coronavirus.html

quote:

Further north, near Orlando, people streamed into the six Disney World theme parks before they closed on March 15. Courtney Sheard recalled that the weather was beautiful and that a new ride at Hollywood Studios, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, was especially crowded.

After she got back home to Naples, Fla., on March 12, she awoke with a terrible headache and a sore throat. Her 3-year-old daughter, Journey, ran a fever and vomited.

By the time she received a positive test result, Ms. Sheard, 30, had been around her sister, her sister’s children, a friend, her parents, beachgoers and diners at a Bonefish Grill.

When Ms. Sheard learned that Jeffrey Ghazarian, 34, had died on March 19 in California after visiting the theme park, she figured that the coronavirus had been circulating in Disney while he, and then she, were there.

“Think of all the people from around the world, from around the country, that were in Disney and then went home,” she said.

Officials at Walt Disney World did not respond to a request for comment.

quote:

Nicholas Hickman started feeling ill three or four days after returning home to Ringgold, Ga., on March 11. He had spent five days at Disney with friends who were on spring break. They were also celebrating Mr. Hickman’s 20th birthday.

Back home, Mr. Hickman came down with a fever, chills and chest pains, but struggled to get tested because no one else in his county had received a coronavirus diagnosis.

Mr. Hickman has since recovered, but only after getting his mother, and likely his father, sick. He does not blame Disney for his infection.

“If we would have been told not to go to Disney and just avoid going, we would not have gone,” he said. “There’s no way we would have gone.”

Zero One fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 11, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

“If we would have been told not to go to Disney and just avoid going, we would not have gone,” he said. “There’s no way we would have gone.”

A rare bit of sanity, but the other 10s of thousands would have still been there. It should have been closed 5-7 days earlier given what we knew about the spread and lack of testing here.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

quote:

How did these people think Disney would somehow be immune to Covid?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

What kind of absolute rear end in a top hat eats at loving Bonefish when you live literally on the god drat ocean

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

How did these people think Disney would somehow be immune to Covid?

magic.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Disney™ Magic©.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hazo posted:

What kind of absolute rear end in a top hat eats at loving Bonefish when you live literally on the god drat ocean

Same people who eat at Subway or Red Lobster in New Orleans. :shrug:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Hazo posted:

ugh, new money

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bottom Liner posted:

A rare bit of sanity, but the other 10s of thousands would have still been there. It should have been closed 5-7 days earlier given what we knew about the spread and lack of testing here.

I'm not keen on this line of thinking because people are saying the same thing about New Orleans and Mardi Gras. Yeah, should have etc etc, but I feel like the parks shut down as soon as this became a real threat. A week earlier could have saved a lot of possible infections, but is there anyone saying that a week earlier it was as obvious of a threat in the US outside of a few instances?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The full article is worth checking out too if only for the map of where visitors to FT. Lauderdale spring break went afterwards.

I can only image a similar map for Disney World

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

I'm not keen on this line of thinking because people are saying the same thing about New Orleans and Mardi Gras. Yeah, should have etc etc, but I feel like the parks shut down as soon as this became a real threat. A week earlier could have saved a lot of possible infections, but is there anyone saying that a week earlier it was as obvious of a threat in the US outside of a few instances?

Yes. Given what we were seeing on cruise ships 2-3 weeks earlier, absolutely. The whole problem is that the people in charge weren't saying it then. Our slow response is why we make up roughly 1/3rd of known cases worldwide. The fact that they announced a closing 4 days after California's announcement and still waited days after that instead of closing immediately is a huge mistake.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 11, 2020

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes. Given what we were seeing on cruise ships 2-3 weeks earlier, absolutely. The whole problem is that the people in charge weren't saying it then. Our slow response is why we make up roughly 1/3rd of known cases worldwide. The fact that they announced a closing 4 days after California's announcement and still waited days after that instead of closing immediately is a huge mistake.

yeah this

The whole article is tragic. Individuals and local governments cannot be expected to be up on how dangerous this new virus is. The people at those events and on those beaches are victims. The inaction of the state and federal governments and disney who are well resourced and connected to experts who can advise them is what’s upsetting. GA’s governor said like, last week, that they only just found out about asymptomatic transmission. Inexcusable.

this quote really irked me

quote:

“Let’s have tailored approaches, surgical approaches, that are going to work best for those regions,” Mr. DeSantis said at a news conference on March 24. “These blunt measures — you wouldn’t want to do them on a community where the virus hasn’t spread.”
You don’t have the testing, you don’t know where it is. The smart thermometer fever data shows your state as the hottest spot in the nation. We know how fast this thing spreads. You have to close out of an abundance of caution. This is malfeasance.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

DeSantis is a moron. He said just yesterday that he's looking at reopening schools because "Coronavirus 'doesn't seem to threaten' kids".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://news.disney.com/jammitors-disney-magic-moments

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I flew out on March 7, and while for our whole group, it was on our mind - we washed hands more and had our merry time. I suppose I probably lucked out in timing. The Westerdam cruise that was infected - my dad went and did that very cruise in early December - so he was puttering around China right as things were starting to perk up over there. Thankful no issues for him.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Iger is effectively CEO again, says NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/business/media/disney-ceo-coronavirus.html

quote:

In fact, people close to Mr. Iger and the company said in interviews that the real question wasn’t whether he saw the crisis coming — but whether his focus on burnishing his own legacy and assuring a smooth succession left him distracted as the threats to the business grew. No big media company is more dependent on its customers’ social and physical proximity than Disney, with its theme parks and cruise lines. Few have been hit harder by the pandemic.

And now, Mr. Iger has effectively returned to running the company. After a few weeks of letting Mr. Chapek take charge, Mr. Iger smoothly reasserted control, BlueJeans video call by BlueJeans video call. (Disney does not use Zoom for its meetings for security reasons.)

The new, nominal chief executive is referred to, almost kindergarten style, as “Bob C,” while Mr. Iger is still just “Bob.” And his title is “executive chairman” — emphasis on the first word.

quote:

The mood at Disney is “dire,” said a person who has done projects with the company. “They’re covering the mirrors and ripping clothes.”

Mr. Iger, meanwhile, is trying to figure out what the company will look like after the crisis. One central challenge is to establish best practices for the company and the industry on how to bring people back to the parks and rides while avoiding the virus’s spread — using measures like taking visitors’ temperatures.

Mr. Iger also sees this as a moment, he has told associates, to look across the business and permanently change how it operates. He’s told them that he anticipates ending expensive old-school television practices like advertising upfronts and producing pilots for programs that may never air. Disney is also likely to reopen with less office space. He’s also told two people that he anticipated the company having fewer employees. (Mr. Iger said in an email on Sunday evening that he had “no recollection of ever having said” that he expected a smaller work force. “Regardless, any decision about staff reductions will be made by my successor and not me,” he added.)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol what a joke

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ESPN is definitely dead (and I'm not talking the sports complex on property)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bottom Liner posted:

That would be sad for a number of reasons.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

To be reborn as eESPN focusing on esports as a twitch competitor

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The only way I can imagine for ESPN to die is if professional sports cease to exist. And if that happens, there are vastly larger changes happening at the societal level than flagship channels for cable TV bundles. Granting that they are hemorrhaging money right now due to lack of new content, what path does the OP see for a multi-billion dollar company whose purpose is sports/sports coverage to go belly up?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

At least ESPN is probably about to drop one of the most hyped things ever created over the next 5 weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Z9JtNcCWY

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

To be reborn as eESPN focusing on esports as a twitch competitor

Based on how their esports poo poo during this has gone down I really can't see them going this way. The hypothetical was always "What if real sports went away, would esports have their moment?" The answer has been a resounding no so far.

Edit: If you want to see how desperate ESPN is right now then watch 5 minutes of the HORSE tournament they tried to do today. The production quality isn't just "Oh it's a quarantine" bad it's staggering.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 13, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Grundulum posted:

The only way I can imagine for ESPN to die is if professional sports cease to exist. And if that happens, there are vastly larger changes happening at the societal level than flagship channels for cable TV bundles. Granting that they are hemorrhaging money right now due to lack of new content, what path does the OP see for a multi-billion dollar company whose purpose is sports/sports coverage to go belly up?

All of that is basically happening now, add to that their financial situation before Covid and Disney having to cut a lot of fat on the other side of this and they're the obvious big hit. People have been doom and gloom on ESPN for a while, but with the current situation I don't see how they survive. I don't see Disney selling them off either, probably just gutting it to a shell of a sports streaming platform or something for the brand value and cutting all costs possible.

J33uk posted:

Based on how their esports poo poo during this has gone down I really can't see them going this way. The hypothetical was always "What if real sports went away, would esports have their moment?" The answer has been a resounding no so far.

Esports are absolutely booming now to the point of many major sports leagues doing their own digital events with millions of viewers, League of Legends being on espn2, games hitting record player and viewer numbers, etc. Esports is projected to hit 84 million viewers in the US by next year, second only to the NFL. The lack of traditional sports seasons has been a huge blessing to all of them and will accelerate that.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 13, 2020

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
iirc the big money loser for espn is the outsized contracts they pay for broadcast rights in an age where subscriptions to cable tv bundles are steadily declining.

quote:

Now every cable and satellite channel is losing subscribers — as dumb Twitter users who don’t read this article will immediately respond in my mentions — but the impact disproportionately impacts ESPN for two reasons: 1. the network makes far more in revenue off the cable bundle than any other channel so it stands to lose, by far, the most off the collapsing business model and 2. the network has guaranteed tens of billions in sports rights fee payments over the next decade and more to sports leagues.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-two-million-more-subscribers-in-fiscal-2018/

Quarantine could possibly be long term good for the problems ESPN has. Given that there are no sports for the foreseeable future, it could give them a chance to renegotiate expensive broadcast rights contracts. Then they could stop hemorrhaging money which would be cool because that’s precious theme park money ESPN is constantly losing.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

This makes sense and is probably a good call. Iger (presumably) knows the company and the job better than Chapek; now is not a great time for a new boss to roll in. And this lets Iger absorb whatever bottom line damage results from this into his tenure, which lets the new guy start with a cleaner slate.

That being said, it was fairly obvious from anyone paying attention when Iger initially stepped down that this was going to get bad, but no one has ever accused American corporations of taking a particularly long view.

Also, ESPN and esports will have a contentious relationship as long as ESPN insists on promoting their people and their coverage. Riot/Blizzard/FGC has an entire production and commentary infrastructure set up, which traditional sports don't typically have, and for various reasons, they're not going to want to cede that ground to ESPN. This is making everyone reconsider everything, though, so ESPN putting the League Midseason Invitational on EPSN1 is actually a possibility at this point. iRacing (which is already airing on FS1) is really strongly positioned, but suffers from a lot of the problems NASCAR had before the shutdown.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I wonder if they’d let ESPN wither on the vine and roll sports back into ABC TV Network like it was back before the acquisition.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I almost took a job with ESPN several months ago. The allure of working for the mouse was strong, plus you get free APs and tickets to give to friends.
But I didn't want to live in Bristol

Now I'm extra happy I turned it down

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Fellow tiki nerds, just bought this print that just went for sale if anybody is interested in grabbing one. It's a timed release for 3 days, meaning they're not selling out, but rather taking orders for 3 days and the final number is the edition size. This way everybody gets one. This artist previously did one of just Southern California and it sold out in like 10 seconds. It has Grog Grotto on it, and also where I'm getting married this year, The Kowloon, so I definitely had to grab it.

https://nineteeneightyeight.com/collections/timed-print-releases/products/iangtiki?variant=33308746285115

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Oh poo poo latitude 29 is on there. Purchasing.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Tim Whatley posted:

Fellow tiki nerds, just bought this print that just went for sale if anybody is interested in grabbing one. It's a timed release for 3 days, meaning they're not selling out, but rather taking orders for 3 days and the final number is the edition size. This way everybody gets one. This artist previously did one of just Southern California and it sold out in like 10 seconds. It has Grog Grotto on it, and also where I'm getting married this year, The Kowloon, so I definitely had to grab it.

https://nineteeneightyeight.com/collections/timed-print-releases/products/iangtiki?variant=33308746285115

Getting married at the Kowloon? Hell yeah.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Jim Hill says there’s an easy solution to the DVC problem. Not many people will be going when the park reopens so they’ll just make regular hotel capacity available to DVC folks. Yes, the rooms won’t have the same amenities but in exchange they’ll probably be at the better hotels.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dren posted:

Jim Hill says there’s an easy solution to the DVC problem. Not many people will be going when the park reopens so they’ll just make regular hotel capacity available to DVC folks. Yes, the rooms won’t have the same amenities but in exchange they’ll probably be at the better hotels.

Maybe. Not sure how that would work though since they’re separate entities. Disney hotels would have to be ok getting no revenue on those rooms.

The point conversion would be another sticking point. The point chart when you use your points via Disney collection for regular hotel rooms is terrible.

My last trip was 172 points and that was 9 nights in a blt studio. The least expensive room at the contemporary is 59 points a night. I’d be trading 9 nights at blt for maybe 3 at the contemporary.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

It's crazy seeing photos of Mai-Kai when it was just shrubs, dirt and sand all around it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Disappointed in it not having the Suffering Bastard in Sanford, which is clearly one of the best tiki bars in the southeast. Go to it when it reopens!

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Maybe. Not sure how that would work though since they’re separate entities. Disney hotels would have to be ok getting no revenue on those rooms.

The point conversion would be another sticking point. The point chart when you use your points via Disney collection for regular hotel rooms is terrible.

My last trip was 172 points and that was 9 nights in a blt studio. The least expensive room at the contemporary is 59 points a night. I’d be trading 9 nights at blt for maybe 3 at the contemporary.

Yeah I don’t see a DVC problem. We already “own” our rooms, and if we book at the proper window there’s no issue. And you’re 100% right the point conversion to a non DVC room is atrocious, no way I’d ever do it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Disappointed in it not having the Suffering Bastard in Sanford, which is clearly one of the best tiki bars in the southeast. Go to it when it reopens!

We’ve been there a few times. Such a weird location lol. Some god drat great drinks though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mattfl posted:

We’ve been there a few times. Such a weird location lol. Some god drat great drinks though!

Tuffy's is so loving great. That little block of downtown Sanford was virtually abandoned until the Central 28 Brewing guy bought a closed garage and turned it into what it is now. One of the things I hate so much about this pandemic is that the restaurant and bar closures pose a serious risk to damaging Sanford's economic development over the last few years.