Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

GhostDog posted:

Auch „Milch ab Hof“, die in Rohmilchautomaten (sogenannten Milchtankstellen) abgegeben wird, wird im Lebensmittel- und Veterinärinstitut Braunschweig/Hannover des LAVES regelmäßig mikrobiologisch untersucht. Im Untersuchungszeitraum Januar 2016 bis August 2017 wurden insgesamt 100 solcher Proben auf die folgenden mikrobiologischen Parameter untersucht: Gesamtkeimzahl, Escherichia, koagulasepositive Staphylokokken, Salmonellen, Campylobacter, VTEC und Listerien.

Insgesamt 19 Prozent der Proben zeigten eine auffällige Gesamtkeimzahl, was unter anderem auf Hygienemängel hindeuten kann. Fast jede zehnte Milch aus Rohmilchautomaten enthielt krankmachende Keime (Pathogene). Auch wenn die Tiere im Stall gesund erscheinen und das Melken sehr sorgfältig und sauber durchgeführt wird, können über die Rohmilch Krankheitserreger vom Tier auf den Menschen übertragen werden (sogenannte Zoonose-Erreger).
Yikes. Guess food safety methods were developed for a reason.

I suppose I should start boiling, or E. coli will probably get me before Corona does.

e: Could take it to the lab when it's open again and streak it out on plates to see what grows, but I know gently caress all about quantification of food borne pathogens.

ABen fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
yikes, adults who drink animal milk itt

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ABen posted:

Yikes. Guess food safety methods were developed for a reason.

Obviously, that is a fake study by big milk.
Soon they will tell you that a mandatory vaccination against measles is okay.

oliwan posted:

yikes, adults who drink animal milk itt

I don't really drink milk. But it's essential for certain baking recipes. Pancakes with plant milk are unfortunately strictly interior. And I tried that a few times.

By the way, I don't like Oatly, because they have a super smug add campaign. "Like milk, but for people."

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 11, 2020

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I thought it was pretty much scientific fact that you shouldn't drink raw milk unless you absolutely have too. I'm pretty sure I read that the whole "pasteurization kills nutrients" thing is false as well.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

GhostDog posted:

I thought it was pretty much scientific fact that you shouldn't drink raw milk unless you absolutely have too. I'm pretty sure I read that the whole "pasteurization kills nutrients" thing is false as well.

Yeah. Also, because if you go to the effort of cooking raw milk at home you are essentialy pasteurizating anyway. Except that professional pasteurization is heating it evenly for an incredibly short time. If you are doing that at home in a pot, it takes longer to reach the even heat and will actually kill more nutrients, while killing the germs less effectively.

I bet a lot of people fear pasteurization, since it's such a technical term which they don't really understand. They should have called it something like Kurzerhitzung. But no, Monseiur Pasteur, needed to boost his ego.

"It's okay to drink non-pasteurized milk, if you cook it first." is such a stupid take.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 11, 2020

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I bet a lot of people fear pasteurization, since it's such a technical term which they don't really understand. They should have called it something like Kurzerhitzung. But no, Monseiur Pasteur, needed to boost his ego.

You get the same issue with radiation-sterilized food since people don't understand that something being exposed to radiation (to kill things on it) doesn't necessarily mean that it's a radiation source itself. But it says radiation in it, therefore bad!

Outside of 24 hour access via automat, most of the people I've heard touting raw milk are people who use it for cheese making, who want to use existing cultures instead of adding whatever lactobacillus or streptococcus strain. Though I guess they end up cultivating wild-type precultures of whatever is most effective anyways.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Yeah. Also, because if you go to the effort of cooking raw milk at home you are essentialy pasteurizating anyway. Except that professional pasteurization is heating it evenly for an incredibly short time. If you are doing that at home in a pot, it takes longer to reach the even heat and will actually kill more nutrients.

Pretty sure that the usual Milchkarton reads "pasteurisiert und ultrahocherhitzt" as if it were two different things though?

also thanks to the mods for the new thread title :haw:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I don't really drink milk. But it's essential for certain baking recipes. Pancakes with plant milk are unfortunately strictly interior. And I tried that a few times.

By the way, I don't like Oatly, because they have a super smug add campaign. "Like milk, but for people."

Your reasoning is completely fine, please don't feel like you need to justify yourself based on some bad-faith post. :)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Pretty sure that the usual Milchkarton reads "pasteurisiert und ultrahocherhitzt" as if it were two different things though?

also thanks to the mods for the new thread title :haw:
Pasteurization is warming the milk to 60-100 degrees for a minute, or so. Ultrahocherhitzen is heating it to 150 degrees for 10 seconds.

Ultrahocherhitzen is what you are doing to turn delicious fresh milk into stale H-milk which wont rot for halt a year.

Both terms are kinda stupid, because together they imply that pasteurization is some complicated science alchemy procedure to mess with mother nature.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Your reasoning is completely fine, please don't feel like you need to justify yourself based on some bad-faith post. :)

Fair point. I guess I should ignore the Berlin Ketamine-hipster.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 11, 2020

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Ich grabe hart den neuen Faden-Titel, bei dem Weg.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

A few years ago they introduced länger haltbare Milch which isn’t quite as bad as h-Milch but still worse than “fresh” (not raw, just what was sold before they introduced länger haltbare) milk and which is unfortunately the norm these days. But all that doesn’t matter because you can get pretty good Hafermilk these days (the dark blue Oatly which is stored in the fridge is my fave).

Oatly is an overpriced hipster bullshit brand. Just buy the orgalnic oatmilk from Rossmann or DM. That way every 3rd pack is basically free compared to the Oatly stuff.

Or actually go with soy milk, has less sugar.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Ich grabe hart den neuen Faden-Titel, bei dem Weg.

:selbiges:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
For everybody missing out on Easter mass, I think this recording from 2018 will adequately compensate.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hopper posted:

Oatly is an overpriced hipster bullshit brand. Just buy the orgalnic oatmilk from Rossmann or DM. That way every 3rd pack is basically free compared to the Oatly stuff.

Or actually go with soy milk, has less sugar.

yeah this is good advice: never buy branded plant based milk like Oatly or even Alpro

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't think bad-faith means what you think it means op!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Really like the asperger thread icon. Germany is basically culturally asperger

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

GABA ghoul posted:

Germany is basically culturally asperger

This is the best description of Germany I have ever read

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

Really like the asperger thread icon. Germany is basically culturally asperger

It's culturally asparagus.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

It's culturally asparagus.

Asparagus 2020 is cancelled unless the suburban fatcats find a way to force refugees or unemployed people to work the fields after the Eastern borders are closed.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Lovely new thread

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

oliwan posted:

I don't think bad-faith means what you think it means op!

:nallears:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

oliwan posted:

yeah this is good advice: never buy branded plant based milk like Oatly or even Alpro

My favorite Alpro scam is charging even more than usual for "Barista Soy Milk" a special soy milk to make foam for coffee.

Guess what sheeple hipster latte drinkers, soy lecithin, a frothing agent used to make things like lemon foam etc. is named like that because it is extracted from soy beans. Regular soy milk has this stuff and froths up just fine. No need to pay extra.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

With how random the posts come out is it is indeed impossible to tell if it's ignorance or bad faith. :iiam:

Heck, i'm almost morbidly curious enough to ask why milk is supposed to be bad now, but i'm sure it'll turn out to be some "if you drink it in 10x the 'in moderation' amount it has some obscure side effects".

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/kemmerichthl/status/1248932819377807360?s=21

lol. lmao

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Corona is no longer interesting enough when the Germany thread once again decides to debate the most fundamental of all philosophical questions: Is cow milk only for kids?

The answer is: goat milk

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

goat cheese is amazing

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oh, I'm 100% in the camp of vegetarian/vegan nutrition being the way to go for a sustainable future, and I've been inching myself towards that lifestyle for a long while now.

The :nallears: was more directed at the thousandth time of someone that has definitely never argued in bad faith dropping yet another "Lol of you don't do x like I do"-post ;)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Ow, mein brain.

Jesus. These people.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Goat cheese tastes like goats smell. Goat cheese and goat milk remind me of dirty stables, piss and goat poo poo.

People who like goat cheese dont chill with real goats

Heh

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh, I'm 100% in the camp of vegetarian/vegan nutrition being the way to go for a sustainable future, and I've been inching myself towards that lifestyle for a long while now.

The :nallears: was more directed at the thousandth time of someone that has definitely never argued in bad faith dropping yet another "Lol of you don't do x like I do"-post ;)

Same, and actively helping others do the same while *increasing* quality of life by helping them find tasty alternatives. I find that leads to a lot less money being sent to the meat industry than when people get get mocked for it and entrenched in their position.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Goat cheese tastes like goats smell. Goat cheese and goat milk remind me of dirty stables, piss and goat poo poo.

People who like goat cheese dont chill with real goats

Heh

I'll have you know the Stralsund Zoo has a goat petting zoo inside it. :colbert:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Everybody should eat and drink as they please, as long as they don't do something unhealthy. If they do, they should think long and hard and change their habits. That applies both to those eating meat 5 times a week and ruining their cholesterol levels etc. and those doing vegan wrong and having to take supplements as a result (which is basically fancy word for medication).

I am also disappointed that people believe bogus poo poo they read because they can't be bothered to put a tiny bit of effort into knowing what they actually stuff into their bodies. Like the lovely claims that gluten-free and lactose-free is "healthier".

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

Corona is no longer interesting enough when the Germany thread once again decides to debate the most fundamental of all philosophical questions: Is cow milk only for kids?

The answer is: goat milk

Yeah, Corona is over haven't you heard? Everyone is healthy and the churches are open again.

Recently we had a day with more healed individuals than new sick ones. Obviously, this means that the doubling rate is infinity, so everything's fine now.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Hopper posted:

Everybody should eat and drink as they please, as long as they don't do something unhealthy.

That's just priming the vegans for starting a "Is Leichenfleisch unhealthy?" derail you monster.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

Heck, i'm almost morbidly curious enough to ask why milk is supposed to be bad now, but i'm sure it'll turn out to be some "if you drink it in 10x the 'in moderation' amount it has some obscure side effects".
Milk (3,5%): 64 kcal/100 ml
Milk (1,5%): 46 kcal/100ml
Cola: 48 kcal/100 ml

Might as well drink Coke, its at least just as healthy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Well, eating human is actively unhealthy, so that should hopefully nip that argument in the bud.

Fake edit: Actually checking my sources, just like raw milk, human flesh seems to be fine, if you cook it first. Leave the brain though.
Apparently, it's not worth it https://www.nationalgeographic.de/geschichte-und-kultur/2017/04/kannibalismus-studie-menschen-sind-nicht-sehr-nahrhaft

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It all comes down to personal responsibility, you have to carry your own risk of getting food poisoning but surely flaunting food safety standards isn't possibly ever gonna lead to anything really bad.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

*looks at wildlife markets, then literally any news* oh hm

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Dark blue oatly is much better than plain oatly though to be honest I barely drink any milk anyway. It’s a level up from regular oatly, I’m pretty sure you’re mixing them up.

And the brand stuff is much better than off brand, especially for foamed drinks.

Also plant milk works totally ok for pancakes! Really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
No more milk, weeed

https://youtu.be/3MmuIT97n1Q