Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Rincewinds posted:

"The Land and the King are One."

All they need is the return of Lancelot Cummingsalot to defeat Mordred Corvidred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXUXI19XDno

(Excalibur one of my favourite films)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

The eyes of a man who is alive in body only :(

I know you're joking, but it got me thinking how I initially felt sorry for him for being washed up and doing QVC, before realising that he probably makes an extremely comfortable living and seems to be enjoying himself well enough from glancing through his Twitter :shrug:

I wonder how much QVC presenters earn?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RaynerSkyNews/status/1249053545837604864

Click and read through the thread.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
The worst tweet.
https://twitter.com/emilyhewertson/status/1248993573262983169

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For the entire duration of the press conference?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Sam Matthews was working for starmers leadership campaign

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1249063929176887296?s=20

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/RaynerSkyNews/status/1249053550665183237

loving fucks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The plp have sabotaged labour at the last 3 elections

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What do you expect out of a group of people who are encouraged to believe they're the most important people rather than literally being completely replaceable.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I think the worst bit is they're convinced they could win an election despite the mountain of evidence that proves they couldn't

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/MrBenSellers/status/1248934948951785472?s=20

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I couldn't care less about the being rude or whatever but

"Conversations which it is claimed show senior staff hid information from the leader's office about digital spending and contact details for MPs and candidates during the election"

is something members should be allowed to know more about.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Vitamin P posted:

"Conversations which it is claimed show senior staff hid information from the leader's office about digital spending and contact details for MPs and candidates during the election"

In the 2017 election, they did some very careful targeting of Facebook ads which meant only Corbyn and a few others saw them but they did not reach the wider electorate. This was deliberately done to trick Corbyn.

The party right are a bloody disgrace and i'm glad they're getting no more of my money.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Vitamin P posted:

This presumably is the Facebook ad spending thing we’d heard about before where ads were ordered but the team responsible just didn’t bother doing them while saying they were.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

no surprise it was hodges vs o'brien in the centrist hack final on twitter

https://twitter.com/PopulismExpert/status/1248991287359033344?s=20

Feel like Hodges shouldn't qualify as a centrist hack since he's obviously a right-winger who pretends to be left-wing to slag off the left and not really a centrist at all.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Should I even bother voting at this point, like at all? Is there any point to anything except a spoiled ballot? It's backstabbing careerists all the way down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Puntification posted:

Feel like Hodges shouldn't qualify as a centrist hack since he's obviously a right-winger who pretends to be left-wing to slag off the left and not really a centrist at all.

That's what a centrist is.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Corbyn really never stood a chance did he. You can beat one party, but the opposition and your own? No chance.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

bessantj posted:

Corbyn really never stood a chance did he. You can beat one party, but the opposition and your own? No chance.

If he'd cleaned house of the right like Boris did to the "moderate" Tories he might.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I noticed though that that sky report finished on a bum note with Matthews basically saying it was disgruntlement. Unfortunately, that bum note is what people who actually get to the bottom of it will remember.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lungboy posted:

If he'd cleaned house of the right like Boris did to the "moderate" Tories he might.

Except I don't see how he could? It's down to CLPs to deselect MPs not up to the party leader and both the last two elections were called at relatively short notice so incumbent MPs basically got to restand without scrutiny. It's a fault with party rules.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

gently caress, after reading that, I really want to thump someone. :argh:

Lungboy posted:

It's much easier to withdraw the whip from MPs than to fire employees though.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
who could have guessed that the police would use their new powers to harass members of minority groups going about their business???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIi8OWRmdjY

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Sadly she probably could just scream FUTURE PRIME MINISTER down the mic and the media would lap it up.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

That's what a centrist is.

lol fair but being a daily mail columnist gives the game away that he's not even centre right.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol I just remembered when everyone was watching her fly home from Uganda e: Kenya to get sacked

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Well, to be fair she does, and will continue to do so as they drag her away in a straitjacket.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

XMNN posted:

lol I just remembered when everyone was watching her fly home from Uganda e: Kenya to get sacked

Yeah, but she definitely isn't an anti-semite as shown by that scandal!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Decorum needs to die, immediately. Sorry Corbyn/Bernie, you're completely irrelevant in today's world. You will always be a monument for what we could have had in a better world, but these people are the enemy and are completely insidious. Weeds need digging up at the root. Pricks. I hate loving everything right now.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In the 2017 election, they did some very careful targeting of Facebook ads which meant only Corbyn and a few others saw them but they did not reach the wider electorate. This was deliberately done to trick Corbyn.

Guess that's my 'what to read about to get angry this evening' topic sorted then.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The party right are a bloody disgrace and i'm glad they're getting no more of my money.

I do get the impulse but it isn't a good idea to leave the Labour Party. If lefty people reject it in disgust then that's psychically satisfying but that's all it is, the wider political struggle still goes on except now Labours internal tensions have been settled, in an immediate sense it's a right-wing party and the longer that situation continues the more lasting internal control the right have over it.

Like all the extra-electoral stuff is relevant but 99% of it can still be done whilst maintaining engagement in the Labour Party. Like it or not the party is a powerful, permanent fixture of British politics, it will always be there and if we surrender it then we're just giving it to them it's a terrible tactical decision. Think of it as like a massive artillery gun, if you get disgusted that it should be pointed at the enemy but it keeps drifting over to target your guys then yeah that sucks it's disgusting but that big loving gun is always gonna be there it's always going to part of the battle so it's better to keep your access to it even if it's just to chuck something in the gears when you're occasionally able to.

And it's easy to get deeply dispirited but this current moment is maybe as strong as they are ever going to be; their victory with Starmer is awful but conference still exists and can be used, it's clearly a response to the Corbyn defeat but that defeat took a literally unprecedented combination of historical first media bias, smearing and internal sabotage EDIT; and the loving brexit event! for them to achieve it isn't something they could necessarily replicate in 5 years time and most importantly the Corbyn movement was policy led, it was a material response to conditions Starmer will do nothing whatsoever to alleviate.

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 11, 2020

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lungboy posted:

Night of the long gardening fork.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Vitamin P posted:

Guess that's my 'what to read about to get angry this evening' topic sorted then.

I do get the impulse but it isn't a good idea to leave the Labour Party.

I left mainly because the I/P issue is extremely personal to me and the Palestinians are going to be chucked under a bus. I was thinking of leaving before the election (not just the I/P issues, but also some of these things in this report re McNicol, sabotage of election etc I already knew about), but hung on so not to let the local party down, the moment the leadership candidates all signed up to the BoD pledges was the final straw for me.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Decorum needs to die, immediately. Sorry Corbyn/Bernie, you're completely irrelevant in today's world. You will always be a monument for what we could have had in a better world, but these people are the enemy and are completely insidious. Weeds need digging up at the root. Pricks. I hate loving everything right now.

As much as I'm also filled with rage, they also shot themselves in the foot once again by not submitting the loving thing a month ago when it was completed. Who cares if it's within the remit or not, just make it public, otherwise it's pointless to spend the gazillion hours preparing the document.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the rationale still applies, handing them uncontested control of the party doesn't seem helpful if you don't like their policy?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I left mainly because the I/P issue is extremely personal to me and the Palestinians are going to be chucked under a bus. I was thinking of leaving before the election (not just the I/P issues, but also some of these things in this report re McNicol, sabotage of election etc I already knew about), but hung on so not to let the local party down, the moment the leadership candidates all signed up to the BoD pledges was the final straw for me.

Yeah if I/P is personal to you I'm not going to try and by-your-logic you on leaving, the party has become a loving moral sewer on the issue and I can't imagine how offensive and like, genuinely hurtful this must feel if it's an issue you're personally connected to.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the rationale still applies, handing them uncontested control of the party doesn't seem helpful if you don't like their policy?

I think someone leaving because they just really want rail nationalisation and more social housing and loving Kier Won't Meaningfully Address Them is a bit reee, but leaving because the new leadership is dogwhistling that it's down with the genociding of people you personally know are a bit different.

Edit: not even dogwhistling actually Starmer isn't an idiot, he knows full well that declaring unreserved zionism is greenlighting systemically murdering children because they happened to be born in the wrong place there's no ambiguity there

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 11, 2020

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-antisemitism-investigation-will-not-be-sent-to-equality-commission-11972071

gently caress the labour party. it shall never see me again. it doesn't deserve to see me again. have fun going back to voting for the lesser evil for the next 20 years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

I think someone leaving because they just really want rail nationalisation and more social housing and loving Kier Won't Meaningfully Address Them is a bit reee, but leaving because the new leadership is dogwhistling that it's down with the genociding of people you personally know are a bit different.

If both are fundamental material needs (which I would argue they are) and you don't want the british government to forever be in favour of loving you and your kindred over via them (which is a good thing to want) then I would suggest that the rationale is the same? If you're going to be personally hurt by their actions that's an even better reason to want to avert them? It's you who loses out if they aren't stopped.

It's voluntarily scattering your opposition to things that need to be opposed, it doesn't make sense. You can't get anywhere by screaming into the void in a perfectly atomized society. And more to the point if you disengage more strongly the more personal your need is, you're literally hurting yourself the most. So it's not even a moral appeal really, it's suggesting that people might not want to punch themselves in the face.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

Edit: not even dogwhistling actually Starmer isn't an idiot, he knows full well that declaring unreserved zionism is greenlighting systemically murdering children because they happened to be born in the wrong place there's no ambiguity there

Reee? Really now?