Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Zee just poo poo the bed on Reichbusters, though. If a reviewer doesn't like a game's concept he/she should just recuse themselves, rather than have a tantrum about the genre disguised as a review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tekopo posted:

The problem for me is that you can push the road extremely quickly, especially in certain setups. I think our setup meant that the road got pushed really really early. People were building a lot of buildings, which was 2 per turn when only the wood building constructor was available, and then from turn 3 because the stone building was the favour, we could potentially go up to 5 buildings per turn (2 wood, 3 stone buildings from favours). Because two players went on a heavy build/meeple strat, by the end of the game we had every single building in the game built, including all of the monuments. The fact that the road got pushed up so quickly meant that really good actions were extremely safe, which lead to a glut of resources for everyone.

I think that's potentially in the setup, but I'm still unsure if I like the fact that the provost gets pushed up according to the number of buildings built.

I had a game where it stalled out where buildings only got 2/3rds through the road, and also games where not a single monument gets built because no one went hard on buildings. The amount of resources depends heavily on how many people want to push buildings, and how hard they push it, which makes the game strangely more interactive. I think Caylus 1303 is much more chaotic than OG Caylus, because I've heard complaints about too many resource buildings and far too few resource buildings from old Caylus players. I can't think of any rule changes that would drive this difference, but Caylus 1303 is in practice much swinger in terms of buildings.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/45581/annual-report-delayed-trading-suspended-cmon

I can't parse this because it's way outside my knowledge, but how hosed is CMON?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Means they’ve been cooking the books and owe a lot of money on questionable consultant fees. Questionable enough that the evaluators have reason to think they might not be able to stay in business.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

Means they’ve been cooking the books and owe a lot of money on questionable consultant fees. Questionable enough that the evaluators have reason to think they might not be able to stay in business.

And they are publicly traded meaning that stockholders could force them into bankruptcy which is what I predict is going to happen. Bad business decisions, especially to go public (my opinion of course). Cooking the books is a crime so that's not what that's saying but their numbers don't add up to sustainability.

E: the article says they (the writer) doesn't understand the going concern issue, but we all know that board games sales are going to be down this year and that fact aligned with them bleeding cash and the stoppage of the trading of the stock would certainly be concerning.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 10, 2020

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Edit: Misread a post

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

If an audit firm lists a "going concern" risk in an audit it means in the auditor's opinion there's a potential that the company cannot operate on it's liquid assets for another full year. (i.e. a bankrupcy risk)

prepayment balances themselves are usually not concerning so it'll be interesting what PwC found in their books (if we ever learn)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I’m really interested in the seeing how the Ankh Kickstarter does. The BGG/reddit crowd are having a civil war between loving Eric Lang’s doam trilogy and being angry at CMON. Their shipping nonsense with the Marvel game earned them a lot of bad will and coupled with these uncertain times it could be a big dud when they’re clearly banking on it being a huge campaign. It won’t make anywhere near the 4.2 million that Rising Sun did, and if I were betting I would say they struggle to get half that.

The best comment I saw was this

quote:

. Massive_Genius -1 points 7 days ago
This is the last one I'm backing. C-YA, CMON

:v:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
It's going to be interesting. A lot of goodwill went up in smoke over their promo treasure chest campaign, Marvel, Rising Sun being somewhat of a disappointment after Blood Rage. And yeah, KS spending should be down across the board given the massive spikes in unemployment and general existential dread. And, of course, the perception that they're failing is the sort of thing that can easily become a reality if people buy in. Given how many recycling campaigns they've run and the massive scaling up of their promises and concurrent campaigns, I can't say that perception'll be unfounded.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What was the Marvel shipping nonsense?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
It's not that big a deal logistically, but PR-wise, CMON handled it in a pretty bad "not a bug, a feature" sort of way.

Basically, retailers would get Wave 1 of Marvel product but backers would have to wait until Wave 2 hit to get all of their stuff shipped at the same time. But, post-campaign, they were told of a great FEATURE where they could pay a hefty fee to split their shipping into two waves and get their Wave 1 product at the same time as retailers did rather than wait out Wave 2.

Other KS'es have laid those terms out a bit more up-front and, as far as I know, none of them (I'm thinking Middara and the various Awaken Realms games) shipped Wave 1 to retailers while so doing, but I might be wrong about the last part.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, they revealed after the campaign ended that retail release would be 5-6 months earlier than KS delivery, and that backers could pay a big additional fee to get there's at the same time. All of this was news to backers after it was too late to pull their pledges and they were not happy.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, they revealed after the campaign ended that retail release would be 5-6 months earlier than KS delivery, and that backers could pay a big additional fee to get there's at the same time. All of this was news to backers after it was too late to pull their pledges and they were not happy.

Which, of course, is the sort of thing to do if you need to grab as much cash as possible in the short-term without concern for the long-term fallout.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Wow, that's a massive bait and switch. Like a big reason people feel okay about dumping a tonne of money into CMON and other big minis kickstarters is that the resale value tends to hold up at least until retail release, even if the game is a turkey.

Also if the Root kickstarter comments are anything to go, people get really mad when retail plebs get theirs before backers, even when said retail plebs are on the other side of the world where kickstarter fulfilment has finished.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hoiyes posted:

people get really mad when retail plebs get theirs before backers, even when said retail plebs are on the other side of the world where kickstarter fulfilment has finished.

I mean it is not an unfair thing to be upset about. You back so you get priority. That's the entire point for most people. If they knew in advance they would have the option to just have it shipped from halfway across the world then I'm sure they'd take that option over backing.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 11, 2020

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
But people always have the option from shipping it across the world instead of backing. Copies of any big kickstarter will be up for sale almost as soon as they hit backers. If you want the game asap and don't care about the $$$, you should never back.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

hoiyes posted:

But people always have the option from shipping it across the world instead of backing. Copies of any big kickstarter will be up for sale almost as soon as they hit backers. If you want the game asap and don't care about the $$$, you should never back.

You can't see any difference at all between someone buying the backer copy of someone else who backed, and the company running the kickstarter not shipping anything at all to backers until six months after the retail release?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hoiyes posted:

Also if the Root kickstarter comments are anything to go, people get really mad when retail plebs get theirs before backers, even when said retail plebs are on the other side of the world where kickstarter fulfilment has finished.

People might feel better if the updates for several months hadn't just been variations on "there's been another delay and we aren't tracking stuff but you'll have your game in a few weeks".

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hoiyes posted:

Yes but they sell it to you under the premise you're going to get it before the retail market does. There's a difference between "buying a copy grey market off the first wave of kickstarter backers" and "not all the kickstarter pre-orders have been fulfilled but we're going to release it to retail anyways."

If you have the inventory to release it to retail then you should use that inventory to fulfill your kick-starter obligations first.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Zee just poo poo the bed on Reichbusters, though. If a reviewer doesn't like a game's concept he/she should just recuse themselves, rather than have a tantrum about the genre disguised as a review.

I can never forget Tom Vasel calling Dungeon Lords overrated, entirely because he thinks a game called Dungeon Lords should be a dungeon crawler and not a worker placement euro.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

So Asmodee picks up the wreckage of CMON for pennies on the dollar if it's true?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Quixotic1 posted:

So Asmodee picks up the wreckage of CMON for pennies on the dollar if it's true?

Nah, CMON having bad finances and high costs on every project doesn’t fit with Asmodee’s owners buying pattern. They were making heavy cuts across their brands before Covid, they definitely won’t be making big purchases after it, especially for a company with a lot of money problems.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yes but they sell it to you under the premise you're going to get it before the retail market does. There's a difference between "buying a copy grey market off the first wave of kickstarter backers" and "not all the kickstarter pre-orders have been fulfilled but we're going to release it to retail anyways."

If you have the inventory to release it to retail then you should use that inventory to fulfill your kick-starter obligations first.
Yeah but if you've finished fulfilling one region, it's entitled for consumers in a different region that hasn't to demand that no region anywhere gets retail release. You can't just teleport stock in a warehouse from the US to Europe. I don't think the prime concern of Kickstarter has been "Get it before retail" over the more common selling points like exclusives, extra good value, or supporting the company.

I'm still waiting on Root in Australia, and I really can't understand the mindset of being mad at it being on shelves in the US. I like the company, I backed the kickstarter to support the company, and why shouldn't they be making retail dollars to keep doing their thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Nah, CMON having bad finances and high costs on every project doesn’t fit with Asmodee’s owners buying pattern. They were making heavy cuts across their brands before Covid, they definitely won’t be making big purchases after it, especially for a company with a lot of money problems.

To the point where people are wondering if Asmodee aren't going to collapse, or at least divest heavily. They started out with fairly normal expansion goals as a publisher, but got greedy and became a front for a capital group who have been trying to become Hasbro for Eurogames. Eurogamers having fairly strong opinions about Monopoly, it hasn't gone as profitably as they expected.

CMON themselves are victims of their business model. They should long since have followed Jamey Stegmeier in dropping Kickstarter - say what you like about his games, Stegmeier definitely worked that platform better than anyone else - but it was just too easy for them to make some cool sculpts, bolt them onto Eric Lang's latest mediocrity with some half-baked rules and make them KS-exclusive to rake in those FOMO dollars. That's a plan that can only work so many times, and I think when they did HATE as an entirely KS-exclusive project it was the beginning of the end.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just played a bunch of rounds of Fugitive with a mate in TSS.

Quick and simple tracking/deduction game for 2 players, and I really like it. 100% going on my pick-up list so I can play it with my Niece, cause it strikes me as a really good infection vector game.
Has event cards you can shuffle in add randomness, or give one player a handicap.

Once you 'get' it, it's very very fun. 10-15min rounds if that.

The game board on TSS is really nicely scripted as well.

This is probably the nicest How To Play I could find to give you an overview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxCVggy9cw4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My group has been instructed to learn Burgle Bros, Pandemic, and Frosthaven to play for tomorrow.

Easy to Hard mode :v:

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Infinitum posted:

Just played a bunch of rounds of Fugitive with a mate in TSS.

Quick and simple tracking/deduction game for 2 players, and I really like it. 100% going on my pick-up list so I can play it with my Niece, cause it strikes me as a really good infection vector game.
Has event cards you can shuffle in add randomness, or give one player a handicap.

Once you 'get' it, it's very very fun. 10-15min rounds if that.

As a fan of picross style logic puzzles I love playing the Marshal in this. It's too bad that my group views the Marshal as being significantly easier than the Fugitive. I've been tempted to try playing with the event cards to see if that helps.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The US Navy just patented COIN of Catan.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Marshal play area in TTS is implemented really well, because it's got a bunch of colour coded cubes for your process of elimination.

I'm curious to add the Event Cards in after a few more rounds, but I felt like the standard experience is pretty solid; though I'm assuming there's a skill ceiling you'd reach with a regular play partner where you'd want to spice it up.
I'd probably be more interested in playing with event cards with somebody face to face rather than online, as it would add unnecessary 'complication' to a quick back and forth game while we wait for other players to log on.

I really like the concept of event cards as a separate thing by default, that you can use as difficulty modifiers to spice up the game/give handicaps.
Very smart bit of design.

---------------------------------

We also played a few rounds of Dungeon Mayhem, which is my favourite 5min game atm, and it works pretty decently online.
Though you lack that back-and-forth duelling 'vibe' you get from a real world setting.

When all this poo poo is over I'm organising a loving boardgame weekend at my joint to play the backlog of poo poo we've all been chomping at the bit for.
Going to also suggest it be a secret-santa event as well, and we all get something off the others wishlists.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Same but just to play advciv or Western empires. :v:

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

It's not that big a deal logistically, but PR-wise, CMON handled it in a pretty bad "not a bug, a feature" sort of way.

Basically, retailers would get Wave 1 of Marvel product but backers would have to wait until Wave 2 hit to get all of their stuff shipped at the same time. But, post-campaign, they were told of a great FEATURE where they could pay a hefty fee to split their shipping into two waves and get their Wave 1 product at the same time as retailers did rather than wait out Wave 2.

Other KS'es have laid those terms out a bit more up-front and, as far as I know, none of them (I'm thinking Middara and the various Awaken Realms games) shipped Wave 1 to retailers while so doing, but I might be wrong about the last part.

They also bungled the Time Machine kickstarter campaign pretty badly - four months late on shipping out already manufactured games from their warehouse.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Looking over some of the patent application (note the patent has not been granted, just applied for) at least parts of it seem to fail the new and non obvious requirements for patents. Why they don't just rely on copyright and license the game to an established wargame publisher such as GMT is a mystery. Any fees they get from this patent won't be worth the cost of collecting them.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Looking over some of the patent application (note the patent has not been granted, just applied for) at least parts of it seem to fail the new and non obvious requirements for patents. Why they don't just rely on copyright and license the game to an established wargame publisher such as GMT is a mystery. Any fees they get from this patent won't be worth the cost of collecting them.

I think it’s partially because almost nobody who isn’t already involved in boardgame design/manufacture has no idea how intellectual property and boardgames interact.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

garthoneeye posted:

I think it’s partially because almost nobody who isn’t already involved in boardgame design/manufacture has no idea how intellectual property and boardgames interact.

Too Many Negatives, the sequel to Too Many Bones.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
We played our game of Container the other night. I feel like some of the bids got a little bit out of control due to some inflation. The biggest bid was $26, when you double that $52 was about 1/3 of the final winning score of around $150ish. I was doing my best to just shuffle around making deals and not worrying too much about other things so it worked out well for me but I was last to act after the only guy who was producing regularly and had 4 factories so by the time I got to act it was pretty slim pickings. I still finished second in a close game but I am interested in playing again and seeing how the meta develops if you play with the same group repeatedly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

garthoneeye posted:

They know how patents work. Thing is for the government, patenting is not a marketing decision per se so their patent attorneys may not know anything about the board game market and are just processing paperwork. For corporations patenting can be a complex decision but when you have basically unlimited money then why not patent.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I just played Castle Ravenloft for the first time and did it solo. Is it supposed to be ridiculously hard, especially alone? It seemed like every time I moved I activated a monster who would immediately attack me as well as activating some encounter which would usually damage me.

All of the monster cards have some variation of “if the monster is within 1 tile of the hero, move adjacent to the hero and attack with X” but they’re always going to be 1 tile or less away because they get activated as soon as I move onto their tile right?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Game night tomorrow is looking like it will be Catan. I've somehow never bothered to play it despite it being a "timeless classic", and I'm not entirely convinced it will stand up to more modern games which have refined their systems, but my friends deal with my more outlandish gaming suggestions so I can take my medicine and roll some dice to get some resources (or maybe not).

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Daric posted:

I just played Castle Ravenloft for the first time and did it solo. Is it supposed to be ridiculously hard, especially alone?

The handful of times I’ve played various d&d adventure games have been extremely difficult, with us winning 1-2 rounds before wiping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Redundant posted:

Game night tomorrow is looking like it will be Catan. I've somehow never bothered to play it despite it being a "timeless classic", and I'm not entirely convinced it will stand up to more modern games which have refined their systems, but my friends deal with my more outlandish gaming suggestions so I can take my medicine and roll some dice to get some resources (or maybe not).

What's it like living at the antarctic base?