Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

RandomBlue posted:

3 days shy of a month in quarantine with who knows how much time left and my dishwasher and clothes dryer broke within 3 days of each other.

gently caress me.

if it's electric and you unplug it and pull it out, dryers are pretty simple things with very few non-obvious things that break. you can probably take the back off and see something easy like a belt slipped off. if it's gas powered... ehh i'd be more careful, you can gently caress things up to poison yourself with CO or worse

dishwashers are a little more complex but just be smart when working on water--know where you water main is and how to get to it fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

how long have we been on this lockdown? five weeks? two days? where are we?

help me to recollect

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

one of the worst things about the dem primary being over is Obama deciding its time to step off Branson’s yacht and publicly take over the party again while Joe sits in the corner smelling like ice cream

lol imagine this future: Joe Biden wins the election and names Obama as his CoS

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

remember when the world changed because 3000 people died in 9/11

and now its a good day if less than 2,000 people die every day during Pox 2.0, just in America

at least 2001 had the LOTR movie

HEY at least we have The Last Jedi...

oh....................

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

BeefThief posted:

how long have we been on this lockdown? five weeks? two days? where are we?

help me to recollect

about 4 weeks for me. I started my lockdown before it was officially declared, and has been WFH.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

fosborb posted:

I guess, before lock down, I just didn't realize how much toilet variety matters to me

Meanwhile those of us who cannot bear the thought of making GBS threads in a public bathroom are in HEAVEN.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.06.028688v1 :unsmith:
Nonmedical Masks in Public for Respiratory Pandemics:
Droplet Retention by Two-Layer Textile Barrier Fully Protects
Germ-free Mice from Bacteria in Droplets

Alex Rodriguez-Palacios, DVM PhD 1,2* Mathew Conger, BSc1,2, Fabio Cominelli, MD PhD 1,2
1Division of Gastroenterology & Liver Diseases, Case Western Reserve University School of
Medicine and 2Digestive Health Research Institute, University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center,
Cleveland, OH, USA

quote:

Microbiological analysis of the germ-free status of the mice, before and after two rounds of 106
spray-droplet exposure in the first phase of the experiment, showed that all animals after being 107
sprayed with a cloud of droplets at 60cm (inoculation dose: 600-1000 bacterial droplet units per 108
56.75cm2), with no textile protection (simulating not wearing a mask) showed signs of microbial 109
contamination within 18h (fecal culture), by either exposure to the droplets in the environment, or 110
by inhalation, ingestion, or exposure to the droplets on mucous membranes. In contrast, the germ-
free status of the mice that were covered with the autoclaved textile EDB, remained germ-free three 112
days after exposure indicating that the textile barrier was extremely effective at retaining bacteria 113
carrying droplets, reducing thus the absolute contamination risk (0/12 vs 6/6, Fishers exact, 114
p<0.0001). 115
The second phase of the experiment (repeated exposure with 10-times more droplets), with 116
12 germ-free mice, showed that the textile-EDB maintained all animals germ-free, even after 20 117
droplet sprays at 60cm, while mice located at 180cm became colonized by bacteria-carrying 118
droplets with a single spray (0/8 vs 4/4, Fishers exact, p=0.002). Collectively, barriers protected 119
all mice (even with low textile density; heavy vs light fabric, paired t-test, p=0.002) against high 120
droplet doses (2 or 20 sprays) if the EDB fully covered the cage (0/20 vs 10/10, Fishers exact, 121
p<0.0001).

e: that being said bacteria are Larger than virus particles but,

not an endorsement has issued a correction as of 23:41 on Apr 11, 2020

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Biden/Obama ticket with Hillary. can't lose....

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's so cute seeing people talk about the "peak" the day before a shitzillion cspam mods sit shoulder to shoulder in churches sharing food and drinks and touching each other and all that poo poo.

We were just on the free demo of the roni.

The full retail version launches next weekend.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

shovelbum posted:

yeah im a maintenance engineer at my job and so im trained to like overhaul engines and poo poo but when that stuff breaks i also have to fix it and you can definitely just wing it if you have even like an exploded diagram

yeah I do the same thing but field service and for primarily automated equipment, conveyer systems, etc and the variety of what I work on basically means I'm never working on the same thing twice and am literally always winging it

honestly, working on consumer poo poo (appliances, cars, etc) is more of a pain than what I do right now because that poo poo is usually not assembled start to finish by one guy in a plant so it's typically less serviceable

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

not an endorsement posted:

Alex Rodriguez-Palacios, DVM PhD 1,2* Mathew Conger, BSc1,2, Fabio Cominelli, MD PhD 1,2
1Division of Gastroenterology & Liver Diseases, Case Western Reserve University School of
Medicine and 2Digestive Health Research Institute, University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center,
Cleveland, OH, USA

where's the picture of the mice wearing tiny masks

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Cleveland, OH, USA

lmao and a hearty gently caress off to all the dipshits in the d&d thread shouting down, brigading out, and reporting/probating anyone that suggested maybe we should make and wear cloth masks four weeks ago. lmao gently caress that thread and pissbabies in it

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

zegermans posted:

where's the picture of the mice wearing tiny masks

study design lame, they just covered the cages

there is poop pic tho

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

It's so cute seeing people talk about the "peak" the day before a shitzillion cspam mods sit shoulder to shoulder in churches sharing food and drinks and touching each other and all that poo poo.

We were just on the free demo of the roni.

The full retail version launches next weekend.

i'm waiting for the collectors edition roni, personally. i want that big virus molecule model to put on a shelf next to master chief's helmet

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

mod sassinator posted:

lmao and a hearty gently caress off to all the dipshits in the d&d thread shouting down, brigading out, and reporting/probating anyone that suggested maybe we should make and wear cloth masks four weeks ago. lmao gently caress that thread and pissbabies in it

lol. it's venezuela thread all over again.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/NorbertElekes/status/1249102145451782150

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sharkie posted:

:smith:

at this point i've still only seen one person (and kids) wearing a mask. i don't care i'd rather get looks than get corona.

Wtf. In my part of Australia it's about a third of the population wearing masks now.

We have 56 deaths nationally.

Edit: To be fair it's an Asian part of town, so masks were common before the outbreak.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 23:45 on Apr 11, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Gone

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Wtf. In my part of Australia it's about a third of the population wearing masks now.

We have 56 deaths nationally.

I guess being near china has his benefict. Probably easiest to get mask from them.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

eric ciaramella posted:

D&D is always impressively wrong about everything.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

he reposted

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1249101675509370882

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Heartcatch posted:

D&D is always impressively wrong about everything.

it's almost like decorum doesnt work and only serves to shut down dissent

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Tei posted:

I guess being near china has his benefict. Probably easiest to get mask from them.

i live in queensland and have to resort to cloth masks because what few are being sold are price gouged :(

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

eric ciaramella posted:

Almost!

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

eric ciaramella posted:

what happened in this Venezuela Cspam affair?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bean recipe for the cookingly challenged
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiYZnPk_Lwg

i live in queensland and have to resort to cloth masks because what few are being sold are price gouged :(

Steal them from a private hospital, those fuckers don't do anything anyway.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoA_zY6tqQw

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

eric ciaramella posted:

Like pearl clutching will make oysters extinct before climate change

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

eighty-four merc posted:

yeah I do the same thing but field service and for primarily automated equipment, conveyer systems, etc and the variety of what I work on basically means I'm never working on the same thing twice and am literally always winging it

honestly, working on consumer poo poo (appliances, cars, etc) is more of a pain than what I do right now because that poo poo is usually not assembled start to finish by one guy in a plant so it's typically less serviceable

lmao yeah any time i see sheet metal its like oh no

but the license builders do a lot of weird poo poo on the big engines so its like lets go clean up hyundais mess. they have a different OEM for tubing fittings than the stock MAN or whatever design would have, poo poo like that, so i guess youre never quite out of the woods

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Tei posted:

the fires probably helped prepare people also

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

regardless people should probably be more concerned of surfaces than nebulous miasma unless you've hosed yourself by being in a busy enclosed space

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Occupy COVID-19
https://twitter.com/Barnes_Law/status/1249106699132317698?s=20

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

*coughs, pumps fist weakly*

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

It's almost like they wanted to follow Trump thoughts instead of thinking how a mask would help reduce coughing/sneezing type transmission for CV.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh drat, if its anything like in New Zealand, walking out into the sun will feel like youre getting hit by an RPG Final Boss beam attack.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/TomCottonAR/status/1248940382613897217
https://twitter.com/TomCottonAR/status/1249044131701305345

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish
Made crock pot Pinto Beans. Goes great with isolation and despair.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

no fever today, just got a 99 o2 sat, i think i may live