Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Anyone have a Western Style Stone I can touch at some point?

You can't order DIY items if that's what your plan is. You can have someone with the recipe craft it with 30 stone, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone complaining about catching water eggs or digging for clams and crafting bait today are fishing tourney scrubs. Sorry not sorry - you had at least a week to prepare for this!

I reached 300 points solo in under 3 hours with my massive stash of prepared bait. I averaged 7 fish (9 points) per run, and I typically lost 20 seconds running to the pier for the better fish tables. My lowest caught number was 5 and in my highest runs I caught 8 if everything worked out nicely.

I made 360k bells just from the fish I caught from the tourney (not including the multiple oarfish I had saved at home that I sold off), which by itself is enough money to buy a full inventory of 90-bell Turnips tomorrow.

One 3-minute fishing session I caught a tuna and an oarfish, and another time I caught two blue marlins in a row! :rowdytrout:

Considering I already have two mounted marlins in a room of my house and the fish poster reward I got was a stylized Japanese marlin print, I am feeling very blessed right now!

10/10 would fishing tourney again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I will say, I've enjoyed the chance to stack up multiple sets of interesting fish for future statues, whenever CJ gets around to that side of his job again (or maybe I've just missed it in his options today)

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Fish Prints can be customized

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Relevant movie clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y410SQD2mz8&t=51s

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Fish Prints can be customized

They can (which is awesome) but now I don't need to blow any customization kits on changing mine for what's becoming my marlin / game hunter room.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

an angry penguin posted:

I know everyone's probably busy fishing but I'm going to open up my island for a bit while I afk or collect clams.

I just watched Keaton walk through the walls of Pietro's house. :wtc:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Was there a floor this tourney? I’m getting duplicates and just checked my nook shop; wallpaper only.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FamDav posted:

Was there a floor this tourney? I’m getting duplicates and just checked my nook shop; wallpaper only.

There is a rug that is shaped like a fish.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've got a friend looking to unload turnips at better than his island's price of 46, can anyone help a goon-adjacent homie out?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

So Math posted:

I've heard it alternates whether it maxes at 10k or not. Seems to have followed that pattern for me this week.
It does not alternate, I have gotten both 10k*3 multiple times in a row and 99k*3 multiple times in a row.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

Johnny Truant posted:

I've got a friend looking to unload turnips at better than his island's price of 46, can anyone help a goon-adjacent homie out?

My turnips are going for 170 each, and the hot item of the day is the brick oven. Gates are open.

Dodo Code: 80QBF

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lux Animus posted:

Everyone complaining about catching water eggs or digging for clams and crafting bait today are fishing tourney scrubs. Sorry not sorry - you had at least a week to prepare for this!

I reached 300 points solo in under 3 hours with my massive stash of prepared bait. I averaged 7 fish (9 points) per run, and I typically lost 20 seconds running to the pier for the better fish tables. My lowest caught number was 5 and in my highest runs I caught 8 if everything worked out nicely.
this is extremely funny because I used no bait at all and usually got 8 fish, with a min of 6 and a max of 10

also digging up and crafting clams sucks just as much as getting water eggs so people still have reason to complain

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 11, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It is way faster and more fun to do the fishing tourney multiplayer, BTW.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lux Animus posted:

i got exactly the same results with no bait running along the shore lmao

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Johnny Truant posted:

Buy them an account or tell them to ask themselves once they are officially a goon. :10bux:

Gotta spend some money to make some money!

- - -

I still have the fishing tourney going on on my island for the next 4 hours, with plenty of bait left over. Should I be hosting? Would people pay 15k bells per stack of bait, or is the multiplayer fishing tourney experience all about piggybacking off of the meager successes of others? I'd like to share, but I'd also want to be compensated a bit for the slog that is bait-crafting.

IronicDongz posted:

this is extremely funny because I used no bait at all and usually got 8 fish, with a min of 6 and a max of 10

also digging up and crafting clams sucks just as much as getting water eggs so people still have reason to complain

Eh... like I said, I chose to run to my pier rather than to the nearest body of water, losing about ~20 seconds each time.

Bait crafting sucks but so does catching water eggs when you're on a time limit! I caught exactly zero water eggs all day, and made a bunch of bells off the tuna and swordfish I caught.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Stux posted:

I've barely touched 5 when I do it without bait, I feel like the spawn rate was cut by like 2/3 because I'm going along whole stretches of river without a single fish :confused:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sounds like confirmation bias or whatever. ad hominem

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Lux Animus posted:

Buy them an account or tell them to ask themselves once they are officially a goon. :10bux:

Gotta spend some money to make some money!

- - -

I still have the fishing tourney going on on my island for the next 4 hours, with plenty of bait left over. Should I be hosting? Would people pay 15k bells per stack of bait, or is the multiplayer fishing tourney experience all about piggybacking off of the meager successes of others? I'd like to share, but I'd also want to be compensated a bit for the slog that is bait-crafting.

If you are going multiplayer I'd ban bait use and have a proper competition. Save your bait for catching rare fish at the end of the month or whatever.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

It's great that you enjoyed doing all of that. Honestly, I'm glad that you were able to have fun doing that.

But which of these is more reasonable?

Finding 300 Manila clams, digging them up and reading the dialogue 300 times, then crafting 300 bait individually, going through that dialogue tree every single time, then menuing to fish bait 300 times, and successfully catching all 300 fish, over the course of at least 3 more hours, talking to CJ at least 30 times and having him remind you of the entry fee and rules every single time...

OR

Just don't have water eggs spawn while a tournament is going on. Maybe some fish are worth more than a point.

This tournament sucks for the vast majority of people and the way it's structured is extremely unchill.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought it was pretty chill

I got 130 points to get the items + look forward to the next tournament in July to build up some more cumulative points :cool:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've barely touched 5 when I do it without bait, I feel like the spawn rate was cut by like 2/3 because I'm going along whole stretches of river without a single fish :confused:
I don't believe so. I got 7-8 fish nearly every time, sometimes 9 or 10. Might have to do with your layout because I landscaped my island so there's one long river I can run the length of at the top near 1 pond, and no other water I won't pass by. So I go around the edge of my island in one big loop and that takes me by all the possible fish spawns.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I collected ~3 rewards from CJ and I'm bored. What do I miss out on, big picture? The other 11 pieces of loot and bronze/silver/gold trophies, but is there anything more significant than that? Does having a gold trophy make the villagers give me more gifts or anything??

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Stux posted:

Yeah I'm glad to hear that it works out fine for some people to go without bait, but others just have unfortunate river, pond, or island layouts.

My eastern pier for example I have to drop bait from the lower right corner and then move to a specific spot upwards and a couple planks back to cast, because the fish almost always turn to the NW right after spawning. It's tricky but it was fun to get into a good fishing flow.

I have never cursed my joycon controller sticks so heavily as I did today, however.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought it was pretty chill

I got 130 points to get the items + look forward to the next tournament in July to build up some more cumulative points :cool:

:hai:

There’s three other fishing tournaments this year. And I got the fish wand and the fish purse, so I’m happy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Me and a few friends got to 300 in an hour and a half without bait.

Don't view it as "grinding up all the rewards". Have a proper competition of people running around the island trying to catch the most fish. It's more fun that way and faster. Water eggs just add an amusing amount of randomness and risk to going after the medium-large type of fish.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

There is really no point in catching more than 3 fish per round because you only get bonus points for the third fish. Talking to CJ is quite annoying, though, so I understand that you'd want to avoid that part of the tourney.

I am curious whether there will be seasonal furniture for every tournament or whether I'm just gonna be decked out in the same sets of items by the end of the year.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

"Oh Policenaut, Hopkins is WEIRD"
"Why would you want Hopkins? He's got that valve in his head?"

https://twitter.com/Dr_Drecula/status/1249110568121675778

Dude moved in with a loving arcade, and in our first conversation he talked about wanting to be Mecha-Hopkins the Super Robot and that I'm so cool I could ride on his shoulder into battle.

I've made the right decision to bring Hopkins with me.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

My fiance, her cousin, and I grinded up the 300 points in two or three hours. We took a few minutes every few rounds to grind up some bait so it was easy to hit 5+ fish each time. The cousin only wanted one of each item so they finished quick and we had finished half of it on our own while watching a movie so it was decidedly chill for us. I couldn't imagine it grinding it out solo though.

I wish I'd gotten more prints but other than that I can't complain, I love the nautical stuff.

EDIT: oh question!

There's a nook miles thing for talking to every villager and there's also a miles thing for being an active resident on the island. I have 25 for the first and 24 for the latter which doesn't make sense to me... What does it count for the latter? I forgot to check the ATM one day, did that cut me off?

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 12, 2020

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Fangz posted:

If you are going multiplayer I'd ban bait use and have a proper competition. Save your bait for catching rare fish at the end of the month or whatever.

Yeah that's cool - thanks! I just figured bait is easier than running around the rivers and beaches like crazy with a bunch of people doing the same, but bait does have high value for getting those rare fishy finds.

My cliff rivers are really small and rarely ever have fish, so I've gotten into the habit of making bait to get their spawns.

puppets freak me out posted:

It's great that you enjoyed doing all of that. Honestly, I'm glad that you were able to have fun doing that.

But which of these is more reasonable?

Finding 300 Manila clams, digging them up and reading the dialogue 300 times, then crafting 300 bait individually, going through that dialogue tree every single time, then menuing to fish bait 300 times, and successfully catching all 300 fish, over the course of at least 3 more hours, talking to CJ at least 30 times and having him remind you of the entry fee and rules every single time...

OR

Just don't have water eggs spawn while a tournament is going on. Maybe some fish are worth more than a point.

This tournament sucks for the vast majority of people and the way it's structured is extremely unchill.

I don't know what to tell you - this game is a time sink, sure, but you also don't have to get 300 points in the very first tourney event - the points carry over! I'm sorry you are/were not having as chill of a time. Laboring over turning clam into juicy chunks for several hours at night while watching for shooting stars was chill enough for me that I lost track.

I agree that they could turn off Egg/Trash spawns after the tourney bell, and tuna should be worth more than a horse mackerel!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Do wands break eventually? I don’t ever play this game at night and want to know if I need to conserve the one I got for the fish tourney

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FamDav posted:

There wasn't, but I got the matching floor from some other source a while back. I don't remember how for certain, but my best guess is that it might be in Gulliver's pool of potential gifts.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Do wands break eventually? I don’t ever play this game at night and want to know if I need to conserve the one I got for the fish tourney

Nope

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Nope - AFAIK they last as long as you keep them.

I visited my neighbor having her birthday the other day and I forgot to bring a gift with me, so I gave her my Cherry Blossom Wand... she loved it!

She even sent me a gift by mail as a thank you this morning, for being so generous. I'm not sure if that's always what happens when you give a gift at a birthday, but it was nice!

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

I understand what you're saying.

I think what's going on is I'm figuring out that there are more things in this game that feel inconvenient and time consuming for no reason, and the more I interact with those systems the less I like the game.

If people here like that, then that means this game just isn't for me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

And More posted:

There is really no point in catching more than 3 fish per round because you only get bonus points for the third fish.
...except that you still get points faster that way? It's not like only bonus points matter.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
hey, does anyone want another ~30 minutes of fishing? Because I want the gold trophy, darnit.
https://turnip.exchange/island/098f83db

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
cj is basically the only bad part about this event, irritating internet streamers are bad enough without their personality types invading my chillax game

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The White Dragon posted:

cj is basically the only bad part about this event, irritating internet streamers are bad enough without their personality types invading my chillax game

This. Bring back his dad. The boy is out of his league.

Though I did appreciate the lighting effect they did of the sun reflecting off of CJ's glasses. I thought that was nicely done. But I could do without his "don't forget to like and subscribe" routine every time I wanna sell him some fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

didnt bother with rivers, just ran the shoreline and hit 7 or 8 fish every time. i fished up one egg the entire time and did enough runs to get every item so around 130-140 points or whatever worth.