Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'd love to use my button business to help goons in need somehow but I don't really know how I can do that. I'm too broke to contribute actual dollars but I could contribute buttons as long as shipping was covered. I dunno, like, if you contribute to the goonfund and cover shipping($4) I'll send you some free buttons? I dunno, I've just been helped by goons A LOT and I would like to help somehow.

So yea if you've contributed to this hit me up and cover shipping and I'll send you some cool buttons, whatever you want really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
serious post:

if anyone is a tax/lawyer person please email/pm me because this is going to become an issue soon.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Oh god, it finally happened, plinkey became a billionaire on the backs of goons

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Plinkey posted:

serious post:

if anyone is a tax/lawyer person please email/pm me because this is going to become an issue soon.

I thought gambling was tax exempt wtf

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Plinkey posted:

serious post:

Isn't it just gifts back and forth until you break $25000 from a single person

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Skyl3lazer posted:

Isn't it just gifts back and forth until you break $25000 from a single person

After you hit $20,000 a year Patreon reports what they gave you to the IRS and mails you a 1099, and in turn you have to explain to the IRS what that income was.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So, talked to my mom's husband and I need an attorney to set up a non profilte

so thaats where we're at

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Plinkey posted:

so thaats where we're at

I'm glad you've got IRL help. That's better for almost any situation involving professional work.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
hello friends, I was going to post these in the bernie toxx thread, but in case anyone needs, here are some account reg gift certificates:

DF26CAB-916ADAAC26-3825C
7D6D650-D7FEDC87FD-7D15F
8D62087-DAA5BF925D-CD08B
61EF7F9-258E4A3485-2A08F
ECED6AC-1B5E178AC2-CB277

and platinum:

F8AAA96-7FF53F2167-4F091
351ED3F-E833550A80-34A45
07E7A86-D4AF5A5E67-24A95
91A90F4-64B5EFA2CF-C3DCC
D5B73D4-AD5F01B789-C7393

feel free to share with those goons in need,

hail satan

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

rabble rabble posted:

hello friends, I was going to post these in the bernie toxx thread, but in case anyone needs, here are some account reg gift certificates:

feel free to share with those goons in need,

hail satan

Took 07E7A86-D4AF5A5E67-24A95, much appreciated.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Plinkey posted:

serious post:

I think technically this is income and your donations to individuals are not deductible. I would instead claim it is performance art and then you buying food for goons is an expense to that end.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Plinkey posted:

so thaats where we're at

You can do this without a lawyer in 3 minutes. (In delaware)

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Elephanthead posted:

Different states can be very, very different in this regard, and getting the most advantage requires you to also interact with the feds. For the most part, setting up a corporation is a few minutes of filling out a short, potentially single-page form; individual states may or may not have specific types of business registrations for non-profit vs. profit, and the amount of benefit you get from registering as such various greatly from state to state.

If you then want to become a 501(c)(3) charity, you have to do a lot of additional paperwork with the IRS. This paperwork is federal, and does not vary from state to state. It's 20-some pages of forms, plus a ton of supporting documentation, schedules, and other bullshit. I've seen an application for a relatively small charity that wound up over 100 pages. But 501(c)(3)s have much lower taxes than simple state-registered non-profits.

The most fundamental truth of the US tax code is that it is designed, first and foremost, to give the greatest advantage to those who can afford to spend the most time and effort organizing their interaction with it.

For anyone looking into this themselves:
  • Talk to a CPA. Not an accountant, a CPA. They will be able to tell you how much money you will save for each of the types of organization available to you. If you go ahead with the process, they will also help you setup your books the first time, and you'll probably use them to prepare at least your first year's taxes.
  • Go to the website for your state's bar association; it should have a "lawyer referral service". This can put you in touch with an appropriate lawyer for a relatively inexpensive consultation. They will tell you how much time and money it will cost to become whatever class of charity is appropriate. If you go ahead with the process, they will probably be filling out a lot of the forms for you, which will save time and avoid getting rejected for boneheaded mistakes.
  • Expect to spend a lot of time and a not small amount of money before the whole process is complete.
  • Especially if you're doing full 501(c)(3), expect to have ongoing regulations you have to worry about.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Elephanthead posted:

GOONBUCKS: Hi, I'm in Delaware Poverty.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Did someone aim the IRS at Plink?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Siegkrow posted:

Did someone aim the IRS at Plink?

nah, he's just getting ready for the Patreon income to be taxed or hopefully get it into a charity so it can stay not-federally taxed

but unless he sets something up,. the income goes on his own personal taxes and he'd have to square it with the fed (pay big)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, I talked to my mom's husband who is a CPA, but doesn't deal with the set up of the charity part, just doing the books for a few and it sounds like it'll cost about a grand to have a talk with a lawyer and draw up the paperwork.

If anyone has advice of how to claim money paid out as a business expense as a private contractor for taxes, let me know

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, I talked to my mom's husband who is a CPA, but doesn't deal with the set up of the charity part, just doing the books for a few and it sounds like it'll cost about a grand to have a talk with a lawyer and draw up the paperwork.

If anyone has advice of how to claim money paid out as a business expense as a private contractor for taxes, let me know

well the lawyer you're about to be paying a grand to could probably give you a few pointers, hopefully.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Plinkey set up the 501c3.

RandomBlue has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Apr 12, 2020

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
There are two issues the main one being this is taxable income and you will get a k1 or some poo poo from paetron. The second issue is if you are going to be a not for profit and accept money you need to do it right because they don't want people scamming other people like Trump does and buying paintings with it. To be a not for profit you don't need to do poo poo with the IRS you just need to incorporate in your state or another state as one. It is just the contributions are not guaranteed to be tax deductible for the donors. It gets complicated as you accept money from many states and some require registration to do so. If you could find a local church or not for profit to run all this through it could solve some of plinkeys headaches. They might want a modest fee to do so. You could also show the activity on your tax return as some side business but I am not an expert on personal charities not of a legal entity type and IRS fuckaery. Either way you are aware of the issue(s) and it really does suck.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Plinkey posted:

Seems like a valid use of the donations to pay for that lawyer so you don't get owned by the IRS.

Here lies Plinkey, he wanted to do good but it's a real PITA.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im tempted to go the llc/performace art route

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Plinkey posted:

im tempted to go the llc/performace art route

Feeding goons as performance art is pretty loving funny.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

This is the part where we decentralize everything and make the goon food blockchain.

Inceltown posted:

Feeding goons as performance art is pretty loving funny.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

if the IRS comes calling just tell them you are a free man of the land

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Epic High Five posted:

if the IRS comes calling just tell them you are a free man of the land

yell something about how the 16th amendment wasn't ratified correctly and how it does not apply

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I am an accountant with some non-profit experience. AMA.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
What does the IRS taste like?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

RandomBlue posted:

:itwaspoo:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

RandomBlue posted:

Stale cardboard and cheeto dust.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is everything frozen until the legal issues? I just found out that, because my wife abandoned me a year and a half ago and I have no way to get ahold of her, I can't get the stimulus check because she filed "Married Filling Separately" (no I don't know how she got my SSN) and now I would have to file the same, which I can't do because I don't know her SSN. Tried the IRS portal and talked to two tax places and I'm hosed.

Edit: this means I'm also not getting a $500 EITC, either lol. I love bureaucracy.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

precision posted:

Is everything frozen until the legal issues? I just found out that, because my wife abandoned me a year and a half ago and I have no way to get ahold of her, I can't get the stimulus check because she filed "Married Filling Separately" (no I don't know how she got my SSN) and now I would have to file the same, which I can't do because I don't know her SSN. Tried the IRS portal and talked to two tax places and I'm hosed.

Edit: this means I'm also not getting a $500 EITC, either lol. I love bureaucracy.

Cripes, that sucks, man. I feel you; I can't file for my return because I worked restaurants that never sent me my W2's, and now they're closed and I don't have a way to get them.

Did you try this site? IRS just rolled it out for people who can't/didn't have to file bc they didn't make enough. No idea if it'll work for you, but maybe worth a shot to get them trumpbux.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Is everything frozen until the legal issues?

No, it's still up and going, just need to figure this out sooner rather than later

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thanks, I actually managed to get ahold of her on Facebook and got her SSN, so I should be getting my stimulus check, just gonna miss out on the $500. Crisis averted for now, I'll donate when my check gets in. :)

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
wait I can't tell, do you actually need help setting thsi up? you;ll want to open a registered 501c3, do it in Deleware, and make yourself the PRESIDENT. You will then make the patreon a contribution TO this "charity" which will then "give" the "money" to "people in need who need it" and you will use like turbotax or loving excel or some poo poo to track it

and you probably have to have a yearly meeting as stipulated by the bylaws you're going to copy from the legalzoom.com torrent or whatever

look i'll even spot you the buy in for the stupid legal poo poo lets goooooooo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
If only you had set this up as a business sooner, goons could have been fed by the fed

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rabble rabble posted:

wait I can't tell, do you actually need help setting thsi up? you;ll want to open a registered 501c3, do it in Deleware, and make yourself the PRESIDENT. You will then make the patreon a contribution TO this "charity" which will then "give" the "money" to "people in need who need it" and you will use like turbotax or loving excel or some poo poo to track it

and you probably have to have a yearly meeting as stipulated by the bylaws you're going to copy from the legalzoom.com torrent or whatever

look i'll even spot you the buy in for the stupid legal poo poo lets goooooooo

yeah, basically all of that, is legal zoom/rocket lawyer legit and should i set up the physical address as a PO Box instead of my home address?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Homeless Friend posted:

If only you had set this up as a business sooner, goons could have been fed by the fed

well yeah, it kinds blew up in the last like 4-6 weeks