Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

That would work if you ignore all the other times it goes full crazy anime battle before the first scene you posted

And like you don't even have to wait long for that. The whole Roche fight on the highway is full of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZaronYeras
Sep 14, 2007
I am enjoying this game, but I just want to say, lol the cast of characters without cid highwind is a lot worse

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Does anyone know of a movie edit for this that they'd recommend, I don't have a console that can play this and I'd like to see what they've added and changed in the remake without having to blindly flip through an unedited longplay. I know some people make more effort and edit in quick relevant gameplay scenes and NPC dialogue in between cutscenes to make it flow better and make more sense and I'd really like that experience if possible.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZaronYeras posted:

I am enjoying this game, but I just want to say, lol the cast of characters without cid highwind is a lot worse

cid sucks

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Boy, this cast of characters that doesn't include a wife beater is way worse off for it, let me tell ya

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gologle posted:

Boy, this cast of characters that doesn't include a wife beater is way worse off for it, let me tell ya

Yeah I mean it would really drag down the gang of terrorist bombers with countless civilian lives on their hands to have someone flawed or who has done bad things in the past as part of their character arc hanging out with them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I thought I Cid was super cool when I was ten but I also thought I was a boy when I was ten so clearly I was wrong about a lot of poo poo

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah I mean it would really drag down the gang of terrorist bombers with countless civilian lives on their hands to have someone flawed or who has done bad things in the past as part of their character arc hanging out with them.

There is quite a vast moral gulf between civilian casualties in pursuit of saving the planet (most of which were caused by the evil corporation you're fighting making everything you do worse so they have an excuse for a forever war) and being a Grade A abusive piece of poo poo to your roommate/possibly girlfriend because you're mad you didn't get to go into space.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 11, 2020

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I can’t stop laughing at the way the hoodlums walk. It’s the Vince McMahon / Conor mcgregor walk

ZaronYeras
Sep 14, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I thought I Cid was super cool when I was ten but I also thought I was a boy when I was ten so clearly I was wrong about a lot of poo poo

There is quite a vast moral gulf between civilian casualties in pursuit of saving the planet (most of which were caused by the evil corporation you're fighting making everything you do worse so they have an excuse for a forever war) and being a Grade A abusive piece of poo poo to your roommate/possibly girlfriend because you're mad you didn't get to go into space.

Oh Cid is definitely an awful person, he's just the only one who isn't a super bland character.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

While I understand the logic of "everybody knows Sephiroth in 2020 so why bother to maintain an air of mystery for several hours," his being all over the game kinda is annoying. .

Yeah on this I can agree. The 2 early appearances that imo really work are

1) when Cloud is having his Nibelheim in flames vision amidst the destroyed sector 8. This part has a really creepy fear with Sephiroth walking ahead with Cloud stumbling behind. Sephiroth DOES talk a bit too much in this scene though.
2) when Cloud tries to sneak out of Aerith's house and Sephiroth shows up to say "haha she dead" and we get the vision of the original's death scene.

The rest are a bit too fanservic-y in trying to make Sephiroth even more super special yes edge. But those 2 worked really well for me

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Does anyone know of a movie edit for this that they'd recommend, I don't have a console that can play this and I'd like to see what they've added and changed in the remake without having to blindly flip through an unedited longplay. I know some people make more effort and edit in quick relevant gameplay scenes and NPC dialogue in between cutscenes to make it flow better and make more sense and I'd really like that experience if possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg2fE9PHzW4
This has been really good quality, includes some sidequest dialogue and even phase dialogue mid-boss fights. Links to all parts in the description. Still long as gently caress, like.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I can't help but smile every time Barret's VA gets a chance to do his thing. He clearly loves this role.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Reading the spoilers makes me think there's going to be Mass Effect Ashley/Kaiden scenario with Tifa and Aerith and it'll trigger WW3 somehow.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

VagueRant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg2fE9PHzW4
This has been really good quality, includes some sidequest dialogue and even phase dialogue mid-boss fights. Links to all parts in the description. Still long as gently caress, like.

Hell yeah this is exactly what I needed, cheers.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

My favourite part so far is having to sneak out of aerith's house, and immediately kicking over a bucket. Retrying, then immediately kicking over 2 buckets

ZaronYeras
Sep 14, 2007

everyone wear hats now posted:

My favourite part so far is having to sneak out of aerith's house, and immediately kicking over a bucket. Retrying, then immediately kicking over 2 buckets

As I recall this is faithful to the original ff7 experience

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

They turned the loving Guy Who Are Sick into a character with an actual name and direct implications on the plot
Nah that's a different guy are sick, the one from the original game is #2, the dude that's scaring the kids in sector 5. Marko is #49 or whatever which is crazy on its own merits cause there's only supposed to be 12 of them

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The best part of the game is when Aerith balls up her fists and says "now I'm really mad!" after some jackass heckles her at the arena.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Aerith is really cool, yeah?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Gologle posted:

Don't worry, the time ghosts made him do it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Nah that's a different guy are sick, the one from the original game is #2, the dude that's scaring the kids in sector 5. Marko is #49 or whatever which is crazy on its own merits cause there's only supposed to be 12 of them

#2 is the one who Sephiroth uses to steal Jenova

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I never understood those guys. They’re basically hosed up mako people, result of trying to make another Sephiroth who Jenova can manipulate by using the mako in their bodies right?

Also I just realized I guess this Cloud remembers how he got skewered by sephiroth and then dumped him in the mako right?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The black cloaks were Hojo's attempt to recreate Sephiroth because SCIENCE! They got the usual SOLDIER mako bath and Jenova injection but also Sephiroth's I think. Their bodies couldn't withstand this and their wills were weak and now they were part Jenova so Sephiroth could control them and when #2 grabbed Jenova they could use parts of it to transform.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Oh it's even better, they never really intended them to be useful. Hojo just wanted to see what happens. He had a theory that if he applied Jenova cells to people it would break down their minds, and they would all congregate at Jenova's body where the cells inside them could rejoin. The successful experiments are those that are mobile but compromised. Zack as a SOLDIER had no impact from the Jenova cells, and Cloud was so Mako poisoned he was completely catatonic and thus couldn't rejoin. So they are failures. They are "Sephiroth copies" because that is the basic process he used on Sephiroth in the first place, except Sephiroth was in the womb at the time.

Hojo's entire motivation is see where all his bullshit goes. That's it, with no subtlety or depth. He has an experiment, he wants to see how it plays out. Sephiroth destroying the world? Send him energy to see how far he can go. Why? Because he made him.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

Also I just realized I guess this Cloud remembers how he got skewered by sephiroth and then dumped him in the mako right?

Not to the end quite yet; why do you ask? I seem to remember him saying something about Sephiroth being dead, not "I killed you". Sephiroth being missing and/or dead has always been a plot point in the game; like he's Shinra's most famous dude, Cloud wanted to grow up to be like him. It might just be common knowledge in-world, or something SOLDIERs know at least.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Not to the end quite yet; why do you ask? I seem to remember him saying something about Sephiroth being dead, not "I killed you". Sephiroth being missing and/or dead has always been a plot point in the game; like he's Shinra's most famous dude, Cloud wanted to grow up to be like him. It might just be common knowledge in-world, or something SOLDIERs know at least.

Cloud explicitly says I killed you when he first sees him after blowing up the first reactor

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Onmi posted:

I counter that the remake maintains a mystery of Sephiroth. The questions are just different. The game isn't pretending you don't know who Sephiroth is, so instead the question is, "How does he know what he knows, is that even him, How much does Aerith know because she also seems to imply she knows the future, and Cloud's experiencing flashes of it too. What is his deal and goal? The fact is we still don't have answers to any of those questions. Because it is a mystery with no answer given, we have conjecture and speculation.

And at the end we've recontextualized the entire opening act, the scope of the world you thought you knew and understood, and realized something far grander and potentially dangerous lays beyond the horizon. Except instead of it being a threat you already know, it's a threat that's once more unknown That is the entire point of the last boss battle being killing the Arbiters of Fate, who were so meticulously maintaining the timeline by stopping Cloud and company from going off the rails. To say that, from this point on, all bets were off, next time Cloud decides to chop Reno's head off, there isn't going to be a ghost to stop him and throw him away.

That's cool, but I don't want it to go completely off the rails. I want to see the plot beats we had in 1998's FF7, but with better graphics.

I was hoping this game would follow the footsteps of the RE2 remake, not just go off the rails completely.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mordiceius posted:

That's cool, but I don't want it to go completely off the rails. I want to see the plot beats we had in 1998's FF7, but with better graphics.

I was hoping this game would follow the footsteps of the RE2 remake, not just go off the rails completely.

RE2 Remake changed a lot of plot elements and did things very differently in a number of places... so that doesn't really work the way you want it to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Cloud explicitly says I killed you when he first sees him after blowing up the first reactor

In the original Kalm flashback he remembers facing Sephiroth in a duel and winning so he still thinks he killed Sephiroth, he just doesn't remember how he really did it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Do you think the next installments will spell out the whole "the Sephiroth you've been chasing since Shinra Headquarters is really just JENOVA that thinks it's Sephiroth" thing or just quietly bury it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Do you think the next installments will spell out the whole "the Sephiroth you've been chasing since Shinra Headquarters is really just JENOVA that thinks it's Sephiroth" thing or just quietly bury it.

I reckon they'll deal with it via some twists at Junon.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I wonder if they'll include a way to use the 1/35 soldier this time

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I hope they just do a completely different useless 1/35th soldier troll this time.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
1/35 Public Security Officer
1/35 SOLDIER Third Class
1/35 Turk
1/35 Motorball

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I wonder if they'll include a way to use the 1/35 soldier this time
Every 1/35th Soldier you collect unlocks a new unit in the Fort Condor arcade game at the Gold Saucer, like Amiibos.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mulva posted:

Oh it's even better, they never really intended them to be useful. Hojo just wanted to see what happens. He had a theory that if he applied Jenova cells to people it would break down their minds, and they would all congregate at Jenova's body where the cells inside them could rejoin. The successful experiments are those that are mobile but compromised. Zack as a SOLDIER had no impact from the Jenova cells, and Cloud was so Mako poisoned he was completely catatonic and thus couldn't rejoin. So they are failures. They are "Sephiroth copies" because that is the basic process he used on Sephiroth in the first place, except Sephiroth was in the womb at the time.

Hojo's entire motivation is see where all his bullshit goes. That's it, with no subtlety or depth. He has an experiment, he wants to see how it plays out. Sephiroth destroying the world? Send him energy to see how far he can go. Why? Because he made him.

He too is weirdly horny as poo poo. Even the other people at Shinra kinda want him to take it step back with his uh.."breeding projects"

Also since poo poo's gone coo coo bananas I want Reno and Rude to hook up. That is all.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If anything Hojo being super horny about his experiments is a very 1:1 thing from the original.

Dude was psyched to breed Red XIII and Aerith.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

If anything Hojo being super horny about his experiments is a very 1:1 thing from the original.

The sudden crush of panic followed by an awesome wave of relief during the remake Aerith in a glass tube scene was significant.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

lol Cloud is such an rear end in a top hat to the old man in sector 5 that just wants to visit his dead wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

It is what makes him one of the genuinely creepiest motherfuckers to ever be conceived in a JRPG. Also I don't want to think about how him and Lucrecia made that kid. Knowing Hojo vanilla sex wouldn't do it for him.