Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It lets you charge into Genestealers, killing them by sprinting at them. Somehow it makes this incredibly unsatisfying. The trailer is still spectacular though. If you've not seen it, it's well worth a watch.
It´s a drat shame since I would have happily have played a game where Terminators murders filthy Xeno´s in order to decide who will be the Empire of Man´s finest Mariache band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

AC Origins: I'm so glad I had a breakthrough with the combat system in Odyssey, as I'm enjoying the combat in Origins a lot better. I'm done sweeping through the old zones with ? marks I missed, and now I'm back at level and oh god, I'm so glad I understand combat now because this would've murdered me before.

So - score! Odyssey isn't just an amazing game, it retroactively has made Origins even better!

I do have one complaint though: why the gently caress did the ancient Egyptians put so many counterweight puzzles in their pyramids and tombs?!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It lets you charge into Genestealers, killing them by sprinting at them. Somehow it makes this incredibly unsatisfying. The trailer is still spectacular though. If you've not seen it, it's well worth a watch.

That trailer was so awesome and it made so many Warhammer nerds angry that the trailer music wasn’t generic Ominous Latin Chanting, so it was a bit of a twofer. Seriously was too bad the game couldn’t live up to it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I do have one complaint though: why the gently caress did the ancient Egyptians put so many counterweight puzzles in their pyramids and tombs?!

they used all their pushable blocks on the outsides

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

They're supposed to keep people away, so of course they would be obnoxious. It makes perfect sense.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

they used all their pushable blocks on the outsides

giving me war flashbacks to Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver thanks

Cardiovorax posted:

They're supposed to keep people away, so of course they would be obnoxious. It makes perfect sense.

uuughhhhhhhhh

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

giving me war flashbacks to Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver thanks

I'm sorry but that's demonstrably a good thing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That trailer was so awesome and it made so many Warhammer nerds angry that the trailer music wasn’t generic Ominous Latin Chanting, so it was a bit of a twofer. Seriously was too bad the game couldn’t live up to it.
The mariachi bits were amazing. Shame about everything else.

Also, apparently full mariachi skins were just an april fools joke and not available in-game?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
And such a shame, that. El Mariachi Misterioso was the best Metal Gear Rising skin.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is the PC version of Gloomhaven worth it in it's current state or should I wait for a full release?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Orv posted:

I'm sorry but that's demonstrably a good thing.

I would kill for a Soul Reaver series remaster, I finished playing through the first game recently and the 10 or less FPS was killing me inside by the end.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I want a Blood Omen 1 remaster. I remember the game being pretty clunky to play even when it was brand new.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
going through Far Cry New Dawn since I got it on sale. it is really funny, to me, that when you clear out a nest of hooligans the music switches from that dang hippity hoppity music to gold ol' 50, 60s tunes. post nuclear maga!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Floodkiller posted:

I would kill for a Soul Reaver series remaster, I finished playing through the first game recently and the 10 or less FPS was killing me inside by the end.

I hope they remake the entire series into one game. There's a lot of fluff that can be cut out, and a lot of assets can be reused since a lot of the game takes place in similar locations, just at different points of time. Then we can finally get that last bit of story after Defiance.

It's a travesty that this franchise is gathering cobwebs is what I'm saying. In all those years, there are few games that come close to what LoK could in a single cutscene.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Well A Hat In Time's cruise ship's 2nd level just broke me, uninstalling forever. Time to go back to something more forgiving like Nioh or Dark Souls.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Blattdorf posted:

I hope they remake the entire series into one game. There's a lot of fluff that can be cut out, and a lot of assets can be reused since a lot of the game takes place in similar locations, just at different points of time. Then we can finally get that last bit of story after Defiance.

It's a travesty that this franchise is gathering cobwebs is what I'm saying. In all those years, there are few games that come close to what LoK could in a single cutscene.

I kind of agree, but could it ever be the same without Tony Jay?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So I bought Pillars 2. Any opinions on the difference between real time vs turn based, or is it just kind of a personal preference type thing?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I haven't been keeping up with this thread so I don't know if this game is a thread darling yet (I sure hope so!), but in case it isn't: World of Horror is Junji Ito the Video Game, and it's loving amazing. It plays like an Arkham Horror that's actually faithful to it's source material, the visuals are loving outstanding, it's ridiculously replayable before even leaving Early Access, I can't recommend it enough.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So I bought Pillars 2. Any opinions on the difference between real time vs turn based, or is it just kind of a personal preference type thing?

The game is balanced around Real-Time, I feel that mechanically it works better in that mode. I loved the idea of Turn-Based Mode but it kind of fell flat for me, try Real-Time and see if it feels too hectic for you, I thought that at first but eventually got used to it.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 12, 2020

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

RTwP is by far the more polished mode. TB isn't bad, really, it just never had time to mature and the encounters aren't really built for it. Unless you really feel strongly about playing TB I would go for RT.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Up to personal taste, but I found turn-based way, wayyyyy too slow for poe2. It's a long game and every little encounter taking 5+ minutes to resolve is brutal.

Great game, but it was designed around rtwp and the addition of turn-based, while a neat touch, feels a bit half baked in execution.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What games are there like Terraria and Starbound? I tried playing Terraria after years of having it and I bounced hard. The interface is awful and the only help you get is one guy with some repeating lines. Starbound handles the onboarding much better but I already finished it years ago.

I want exploring, crafting and NPCs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

What games are there like Terraria and Starbound? I tried playing Terraria after years of having it and I bounced hard. The interface is awful and the only help you get is one guy with some repeating lines. Starbound handles the onboarding much better but I already finished it years ago.

Minecraft.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Already played it. :negative:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

Alright, effort time.

Subnautica. Instead of NPCs you get plot. You can turn off survival stuff if you don't want to bother. Hand-crafted world, lots of underwater stuff.

No Man's Sky: controversial but fun space exploration game with lots of NPCs and a weird plot. Lots of procgen, and ongoing updates.

Staxel. It's Minecraft, but with a focus on hand-crafted stuff and farming. Very cute.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lunar detritus posted:

Dragon Quest Builders, sort of

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

As others have said, RTwP is probably the best bet. I enjoyed Turn Based for awhile but after hitting 30 hours and only having barely started the main quest, I used the console to switch back. The thing that made me decide to switch was a ship battle that I failed after 25 minutes of fighting. Once I switched, it took about 30 seconds to resolve.

There are also a few bugs, such as certain battles that take place inside towns causing every single guard to aggro you and townspeople just walking around freely in the middle of the battle, not observing initiative order.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Did anybody play It Lurks Below, that Terrarialike by David Brevik?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Volte posted:

As others have said, RTwP is probably the best bet. I enjoyed Turn Based for awhile but after hitting 30 hours and only having barely started the main quest, I used the console to switch back. The thing that made me decide to switch was a ship battle that I failed after 25 minutes of fighting. Once I switched, it took about 30 seconds to resolve.

There are also a few bugs, such as certain battles that take place inside towns causing every single guard to aggro you and townspeople just walking around freely in the middle of the battle, not observing initiative order.

I wish they had borrowed the AP system from Fallout 2, and not the "Prostitute uses Jet (x20)" issue.

Edit: Seriously though, I love turn-based RPGs but REALLY wish the people that made them would cotton on to having trash mobs (and civilians caught in a crossfire) move and act as a single unit, rather then have them all take an individual turn that takes like 15 seconds each to complete. This is how XCOM2 handles it's trash mobs (The Lost) and it feels like the Nemesis system in terms of "things that should be in literally every game from now on".

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 12, 2020

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Yeah thinking that blowing away a whole town in Fallout 2 is a mistake I think we all made once. Let's wait around 10 minutes for each brahmin to move.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh man, that Chinatown battle.

As an aside, it really is a tragedy that the Legacy of Kain series is a dead franchise.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

ZearothK posted:

Oh man, that Chinatown battle.

As an aside, it really is a tragedy that the Legacy of Kain series is a dead franchise.
I mean, I only played it for the cutscenes and the acting, I played a few of them and the gameplay was universally bad. Didn't play Blood Omen 1 though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

I kind of agree, but could it ever be the same without Tony Jay?

No, it couldn't but realistically there are many talented people out there and I would accept a close enough facsimile.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A few months ago, my buddy Kragger99 gifted me Mafia 3. After spending ~40 hours into it (and not beating it yet) I decided to post my recommendation to this thread. Yes, it's an open world game that's kinda repetitive. However, I found the setting interesting, characters + story well written, and graphics nice to look at, and that's worth the time to me. Definitely recommend it, with a caveat - it's repetitive (sorta). You take over districts, and to do that, you have to kill enforcers and take out rackets. The rackets and enforcers are different in each district, but the idea and approach are similar. However, one district might have you taking out gambling stuff, another might have you taking out garbage cleaners (hitmen), and another might be fencing stolen goods. Is it an A+ game? Nah, but it's solid, and if the first few hours after the intro (I didn't think the intro did a good job of grabbing me) get you hooked like they did me, you should get a lot of enjoyment out of this one.

Plus, stabbing dudes who call me the N word never gets old.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 12, 2020

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

americanzero4128 posted:

A few months ago, my buddy Kragger99 gifted me Mafia 3. After spending ~40 hours into it (and not beating it yet) I decided to post my recommendation to this thread. Yes, it's an open world game that's kinda repetitive. However, I found the setting interesting, characters + story well written, and graphics nice to look at, and that's worth the time to me. Definitely recommend it, with a caveat - it's repetitive (sorta). You take over districts, and to do that, you have to kill enforcers and take out rackets. The rackets and enforcers are different in each district, but the idea and approach are similar. However, one district might have you taking out gambling stuff, another might have you taking out garbage cleaners (hitmen), and another might be fencing stolen goods. Is it an A+ game? Nah, but it's solid, and if the first few hours after the intro (I didn't think the intro did a good job of grabbing me) get you hooked like they did me, you should get a lot of enjoyment out of this one.

Plus, stabbing dudes who call me the N word never gets old.

Hell yeah. Imo Mafia III is a pretty mediocre gameplay experience that still rules because it nails its tone and sense of place so well. Cruising around New Bordeaux with the radio on and murdering the KKK never gets old.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

I mean, I only played it for the cutscenes and the acting, I played a few of them and the gameplay was universally bad. Didn't play Blood Omen 1 though.

Blood Omen 1 ruled, I got a demo of it as a kid from some magazine demo disc and it was one of the few games I went out of my way to track down a real copy of instead of settling for the demo. It was basically Zelda LttP: Vampires Edition. I was so hyped when Soul Reaver came out, I played for about 15 minutes, realized it wasn't the same thing, then never touched the franchise again.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

vaginite posted:

Yeah thinking that blowing away a whole town in Fallout 2 is a mistake I think we all made once. Let's wait around 10 minutes for each brahmin to move.
Or, you know, getting into any fight whatsoever on the streets of New Reno. And then the neutral jet addicts all snort their entire stash at once and get a million AP, each.And IIRC there's a high chance they're going first, because starting turn order can be a bit weird when you aren't just pressing the "start combat" button.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

The game is balanced around Real-Time, I feel that mechanically it works better in that mode. I loved the idea of Turn-Based Mode but it kind of fell flat for me, try Real-Time and see if it feels too hectic for you, I thought that at first but eventually got used to it.

Agreed with the caveat that turn-based really does work well, it just definitely makes a long game even longer. If you've got all the time in the world right now, they did a good job at making combat feel good in turn-based mode, it just requires a lot more of an investment. If you're mostly interested in story and dialogue and stuff though I'd 100% recommend playing RTWP; regardless of difficulty settings it's gonna be a lot faster

edit: and while at the end of the day I'm glad they added turn-based and I prefer it, the game's a good example of why it's hard to design something for two masters. "Trash encounters" feel good in a RTWP game because they let you justify your builds and loadouts and it feels empowering when you can roll through them while taking little action. In a turn-based system they're really just a time-waster. PoE2 doesn't have TOO many gimmies like that but it's still enough that in turn-based they feel like a chore real quick

goferchan fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 12, 2020

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I haven't been keeping up with this thread so I don't know if this game is a thread darling yet (I sure hope so!), but in case it isn't: World of Horror is Junji Ito the Video Game, and it's loving amazing. It plays like an Arkham Horror that's actually faithful to it's source material, the visuals are loving outstanding, it's ridiculously replayable before even leaving Early Access, I can't recommend it enough.

Everything about it is outstanding. The music and sound effects are on point and set the tone so well. The options are incredible, changing from 1 bit to 2 bit makes a world of difference. I'd set it to green to get that Amstrad feel. The only reason I'm not playing it over and over is I want to wait for the full release.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Blood Omen 1 ruled, I got a demo of it as a kid from some magazine demo disc and it was one of the few games I went out of my way to track down a real copy of instead of settling for the demo. It was basically Zelda LttP: Vampires Edition. I was so hyped when Soul Reaver came out, I played for about 15 minutes, realized it wasn't the same thing, then never touched the franchise again.
I second that. It's the first real Zelda-like game I ever played. I bought it completely on a whim and it's one of the few games I ever finished just because I wanted to see what happens next. It's genuinely engrossing and there's a good reason it spawned a major series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

I was so hyped when Soul Reaver came out, I played for about 15 minutes, realized it wasn't the same thing, then never touched the franchise again.
It is the same thing, though, it just made the same transition into 3D Zelda did.

I'd really love to see a remake but given what happened with Nosgoth it seems unlikely at best. Another franchise lost to stupid marketing decisions.