Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Shockeh posted:

This is me - I'd love to be doing more painting, but the kids mean I have even less time now.

Working from home with extra overtime as world markets are ‘volatile’, 2 very young children, no nursery or grandparent care, my gardener and cleaner have stopped working etc etc. I am managing maybe 2 hours painting a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Here's a WIP update on that piece of scenery I was working on:

There's still some small details to go but I feel its like 90% of the way there.

I messed around with dabbing paint on with a sponge but in the end I washed the entire thing with a sepia dipping wash and dry brushed the poo poo out of it, and now my poor medium dry brush is looking pretty battered.

This is the abandoned cadian forward post, the flag need needs to be neatened up, the scattered equipment too, and then get rid of some of the bits where I've been a bit sloppy with the paint and that's about done.

The only other piece that's going to receive this much attention is the space wolf camp is discussed earlier. I'm thinking cloth hunt up over the windows instead of planks boarding it up, a little tanning rack, a burned out campfire, and I liked the suggest of a makeshift chess board that's been discarded. I won't be making that though, that will be my girlfriend's signature piece.

The rest are basically all just boarded up windows, a couple with netting on, some with cloth over them, and they are going to be based and the walls painted the same as this.

I've been lazy and not even touched the metal or concrete barricades despite the fact they should be easy to finish.

One of the two cargo containers is done, I am tempted to put sandbags on the top of the other one as a makeshift guard post just to give something else people can stand on and get cover.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I've been getting some painting done for once, and it's a 100% appropriate army for the times :zombie:

A full squad of 7 like Nurgle would want :colbert: Plus a sorcerer to go with them.

Thanks to all the goons who offered magnetising advice when I asked too, it turned out to be painless so the whole squad can load out with combiplas, combibolters and all the heavy weapons.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Posted an article on my powerswords on Goonhammer.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/04/10/psychic-awakening-deathwatchgw-homepage-post-2/

Article with the PA rules preview for Deathwatch is up.

quote:

This update brings the Deathwatch in line with the rest of their Adeptus Astartes brothers. They gain the Angels of Death suite of abilities, including Shock Assault, Bolter Discipline and Combat Doctrines.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Crossposting a Morkanaut I built.

That Gobbo posted:

I finished my entry for my local gunpla group's build off where everyone had to use a MG Ball kit. I kitbashed it with a bunch of stuff to create a Warhammer 40k Ork Morkanaut which was a ton of fun to do. You can check out the full imgur album here and I also wrote an article on the process here!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

That Gobbo posted:

PLEASE GW, Make a grot sub army and get this guy to design it.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Bold move of GW to release a preview article showing literally nothing new.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

That Gobbo posted:

This is so great. There's too much going on with the model, so much so that it wraps around and becomes even more awesome.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

ro5s posted:

I've been getting some painting done for once, and it's a 100% appropriate army for the times :zombie:

A full squad of 7 like Nurgle would want :colbert: Plus a sorcerer to go with them.

Thanks to all the goons who offered magnetising advice when I asked too, it turned out to be painless so the whole squad can load out with combiplas, combibolters and all the heavy weapons.

Those are super cool. I love the bug eyed guy with the insect carapace chest. Is there some customization going on there? I don’t remember seeing one like that before.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
DW intercessors wound infantry on 2+, so the sniper stratagem on them will ve really powerful.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Moose-Alini posted:

Those are super cool. I love the bug eyed guy with the insect carapace chest. Is there some customization going on there? I don’t remember seeing one like that before.

Thanks :v: The bodies are all standard, one of them's got a plague marine head because I ran out of different terminator helmets, and 3 of them have plague marine axes so they could all be unique.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

That Gobbo posted:

I love this thing so much, and also I find the pattern of colours on the missile launcher really hypnotic for some reason

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

That Gobbo posted:

is that....an mg ball?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I did some quick Pathfinders to test tau hair and skin, turned out ok but I figured out what I am gonna change next time.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
PEW PEW PEW

FFWWWOOOSSSHHHH

*explosion noise with too much mouth saliva*

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Harvey Mantaco posted:

PEW PEW PEW

FFWWWOOOSSSHHHH

That is absolutely gorgeous.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Almost done with Ghaz. Just a few more highlights and details and I'll be ready to work on his base. I'm really happy with how his eye came out.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I like that if he decides to flip Yarrick off he does it with a golden finger.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Floppychop posted:

I like that if he decides to flip Yarrick off he does it with a golden finger.

Why would Ghaz want to flip off his favorite human/best friend?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

PEW PEW PEW

FFWWWOOOSSSHHHH

wow, what was your method? I wanted this kind of effect with black and orange and yellow on my Eliminators, but I mucked it up and it just looked like Doritos T_T

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

TheBigAristotle posted:

wow, what was your method? I wanted this kind of effect with black and orange and yellow on my Eliminators, but I mucked it up and it just looked like Doritos T_T

"Shard camo" stencils with airbrush. Prime blue then go over with white, then gray, then black with stencils. You kind of have to cut up the stencils to get in places and you can't reuse them forever, so you'd need a few. If they aren't perfectly flush they don't look sharp at the edges so it's actually kind of a pain.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I picked a bad time to think about getting into this hobby.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Mr. Humalong posted:

Nah this is the best time, because GW isn't selling anything so you can mull it over and make sure you really want to try it out before getting fast talked into buying £100 worth of stuff "just to get started".

That's basically what happened to my mate. I was like look, the stores do a intro thing where you can paint a space marine and they teach you how to play the game more or less. Do that before you buy it but just don't buy anything in the store, buy it after you've left and thought about it.

Two plastic space marines and an intro game later, he's leaving with £90 worth of stuff.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Humalong posted:

Consider secondary markets like Mindtaker Miniatures, lot of unpainted stuff on there that's fairly cheap, I don't think they have many people, so far as I'm aware they're still operating. Nice way to buy stuff you might want to just practice on with a vallejo paints starter off amazon or something.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Yeah my plan was to start very small and buy “not from Games Workshop” (so discounted from another retailer or secondhand). I’m more interested in the build and paint aspect at the moment since outside of work I can’t exactly go anywhere for the next 2-3 months.

I really like the look of AdMech but I am incredibly awful at any non-musical artistic endeavor so idk how that would work out when it comes to painting. Are there any smaller and/or cheaper sets than the Start Collecting! set? I’ve already done research on that one and read/heard that it’s very good value for what you get should I decide to stick with it and build up a little plastic army of 1000 points.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mr. Humalong posted:

I really like the look of AdMech but I am incredibly awful at any non-musical artistic endeavor so idk how that would work out when it comes to painting. Are there any smaller and/or cheaper sets than the Start Collecting! set? I’ve already done research on that one and read/heard that it’s very good value for what you get should I decide to stick with it and build up a little plastic army of 1000 points.

It depends what you want to do.

If you have your heart set on a specific Faction then maybe just buy one box of a cool unit you like and paint them and see how you feel.

If you're unsure whether you're even going to enjoy the painting aspect you can buy like three snap together primaris marines for like £10 and buy non-GW paints separately, or you can buy starter sets that are like some basic paints and a couple of snap together models.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Admech is definitely one of the 3 ranges you can claim are the best. Sisters, gsc, admech.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Admech are small and fiddly, but that just means if you can lay down a smooth base coat that a couple of washes or contrast paints are going to make them look great without too much effort.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Admech is one of those armies that are way more intimidating looking to paint than they really are.

They look fiddly but its more or less a lot of red (/your preferred faction color) and metal for your basic tabletop standard. Especially with the start collecting where you're not going to be worrying about skin tones.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Disclaimer: I live in a small town, and my country is apparebtly past the peak of the pandemic now.

Played against my buddy's new army today. T'au..
His list wasn't entirely cheese, he had 2 batallions, 1 riptide, 5 commanders and 3 broadsides.
I played Ultramarines with Calgar, Tigurius and a Mortis Dread, a Leviathan Dread and a Repulsor Executioner as my anti-heavy shooting.

He went first, but didn't really do much as I'd deployed behind cover. I get to shoot with all my units, but all I see is 5+ FnP saves from drones.

When should I target the drones instead of the stuff I actually want to wound? Should I shoot his infantry or his drones with my intercessors?

The game wasn't terribly one-sided, but I've never played T'au before and need some pointers on target priorisation. :)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Disclaimer: I live in a small town, and my country is apparebtly past the peak of the pandemic now.

Played against my buddy's new army today. T'au..
His list wasn't entirely cheese, he had 2 batallions, 1 riptide, 5 commanders and 3 broadsides.
I played Ultramarines with Calgar, Tigurius and a Mortis Dread, a Leviathan Dread and a Repulsor Executioner as my anti-heavy shooting.

He went first, but didn't really do much as I'd deployed behind cover. I get to shoot with all my units, but all I see is 5+ FnP saves from drones.

When should I target the drones instead of the stuff I actually want to wound? Should I shoot his infantry or his drones with my intercessors?

The game wasn't terribly one-sided, but I've never played T'au before and need some pointers on target priorisation. :)

Kill the drones with massed anti-infantry fire. Your intercessors in this case, but massed heavy bolters, assault cannons, even just lots of regular botlers. Once they're all dead THEN you shoot what's behind the drones with your anti-tank guns.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

If you can manage it always target the drones until they're gone or you kill them out of 3" from your preferred target. If you shoot the bigger target while they're still there even with AT weapons you're just trying harder to likely have them get passed off onto drones anyway and mitigate higher damage by turning it to one MW which is easier to FnP. Don't feel bad about using your big guns to shoot drones because killing 5 drones with AT weapons is better than only getting 3 or 4 due to higher T/Sv and then those getting saved down to only 1 or 2 dead drones by shooting at the bigger target.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's a Hammer of Math article about when it's better to shoot at drones or at a Riptide protected by drones. Generally speaking, from memory mind you, the breakpoint was somewhere around 3 damage, because at that point the chance to fail the Savior Protocol check was capable of doing enough damage that it was more worth it than hitting the drones in the first place.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
Here's the relevant graphic.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Here's the relevant graphic.

This is crazy

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
*electronic noises intensify*

Zuul the Cat posted:

Got quite a bit done with my Necrons over the last couple days.

2nd Necron Overlord. I really want to redo the blade, it got a little sloppy there.

Lychguard Test model:

and the teal all done on my 24 warriors, 20 immortals, 6 scarab swarms & 3 wraiths.

Close up of the troops:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Those tealcrons are so good it makes me want to go back to my boring old silver and gold scheme and cover all the gold with teal.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Even though Nihilakh aren’t the most competitive they are the coolest dynasty and look fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfTbeHWgyHM