Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Those are Home Depot's generic bins. They're the cheapest option out there for rugged storage, with the only downside that they aren't waterproof. I'm pretty sure they're loss leaders.

Those things are solid. I use them as furniture AND storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Antioch posted:

gently caress yeah, Crib rules. I played a weekly game with a buddy at work, we've even done a couple Discord games.

Every time my dad and I play he makes a point of telling me about hearing my grandfather and his friends playing at their house when they lived in England when he was a kid. They were too broke to afford a cribbage board so they kept score on a piece of paper.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Residency Evil posted:

"Oh man, 40 plus new posts! This is gonna be good!"

never play the market with predictive powers this bad

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I really enjoyed the board games derail, and even when I'm several hundred posts behind I always read every single one in this thread.

Thanks, goons.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
All of the Boardgame posts were good and the haters who clearly have better things to do can get hosed by a horse

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
board games are good when the world isn't locked down

and NO I WILL NOT INSTALL TABLETOP SIMULATOR

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Alan Smithee posted:

All of the Boardgame posts were good and the haters who clearly have better things to do can get hosed by a horse

Are they the only two choices, cause I'll play a game of monopoly if I have to.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Boardgames and horses are a tornado of bad money decisions

please knock Mom! posted:

Do it

It’s good with money at full price

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My wife bought Exploding Kittens for us to play during lockdown. It's been pretty fun, and only took about 15 minutes to figure it all out.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Board games are obsolete now that video games exist. I no longer have to rely upon others for whatever meager competition their feeble brains can provide. This is also why I only play single player computer games, since I am so smart and only powerful machines are my intellectual equals.

There was a more complete update about the $49k crappy car loan:
Update on that $69k CAD car loan I signed up for

quote:

Here’s the link to my original post

We did it guys! My fiancé and I managed to back out of this terrible loan, 5 days after signing. Here’s the full story of how this loan was unwinded if you’re interested:

The day after signing, we went in and told them we’d like to cancel. We expressed our regrets with signing without giving it enough thought. I even told them how debilitating my anxiety can be, which contributed to me succumbing to the high pressure they give customers. They denied the high pressure and said that there was no reason for me to be anxious. I fought that point a little but but ultimately told them it was a mistake and that we’d be so grateful if they could void the contract. The sales manager seemed disappointed but okay to see if he can make that happen for us. He left to talk to his GM and came back 5 min later, saying that he would cancel but cannot because the loan has “gone through” with the bank. Apparently, there was nothing the dealership could do. Bewildered, we gave the bank a call to see if it actually works that way. After a 2-hour hold, we got to a CSR who told us that nothing would have gone through in less than 24 hours and that it is 100% not up to the bank to keep this loan in place.

We went back to the sales manager and told him this. There was a lot of back and forth (obviously they were lying to us) and the GM came into the picture. The GM was very contradictory, going from saying “we made it clear to you that there’s nothing in my power that can void this contract” to “legally I don’t have to do anything for you.” He also reminded us that he now owns the car that we traded in. He pointed out how great of a car we signed up for, highest trim, sunroof, etc. When we told him that it’s not about the car but about the loan, he tried to convince us that we were doing the math wrong and aren’t looking at the bigger picture (less interest payments). We expressed that we really don’t want it. He gave us a deal: pay him $5k to get your old car back and cancel this loan, or keep the contract but receive incentives such as $2000 rebate, free oil changes for life, etc. We told him we’d think it over and come back tomorrow. We did not take delivery of the new car.

The next day (Saturday), my fiancé went in alone cause I had work. Taking the advice from fellow redditors, we decided to go into offense mode. I had drafted a letter explaining our experience with them to be mailed to various consumer affairs agencies in our region. He went in with that letter. In the middle of the showroom, my fiancé told the GM that we are willing to take the $5k deal to get our car back (this was a bluff, just wanted to see where it would take us). He asked the GM if we could have this deal written on paper so that we can have it looked over by our lawyer and ensure that we will get our car back from this (we never actually had a lawyer). Taken aback, the GM said that he feels bad taking our money like that and went on to encourage us to keep the new car. By this point, my fiancé was getting pissed and raised his voice. He told the GM that in no way is this car deal good for us and that he’d like him to stop trying to shove it down our throats. He told him that a lower interest rate doesn’t mean poo poo if we’re getting ripped off $20k. He pulled out the letter, told him that we’ll be contacting these agencies and that we will be going forward with a lawyer. He also mentioned that all conversations since the day before have been recorded. The GM chuckled and told him to do whatever he wants (all this was happening in the showroom with many employees watching in silence). The GM kept saying “let me figure something out for you, don’t stress, man” and my fiancé stormed out. Outside the dealership, in plain view of the people inside, he took multiple photos of the new car and of a misleading ad sign they had for “one year of car insurance on us.” The GM ran out to him and said “I didn’t want to say this in front of them but I do want to cancel this for you. Just give me till Monday cause the banks are closed tomorrow. I gotta make some calls and pull some strings. Trust me, I’ll do what I can. Don’t stress”

Fast foward to Tuesday morning. We went into the dealership expecting the GM to make up another reason to keep us locked in. To our pleasant surprise, we were welcomed by their finance director who took us into her office and offered us two options: keep the car contract but with biweekly payments reduced to $371 CAD biweekly (from $389) with a slightly lower interest rate, or cancel the contract but pay $1200 CAD for the new car restocking fee and servicing that had already been done on our old car. We paid them the $1200 and drove off in our old car, taking that as the price to pay for our bad decision.

It was important for me to write all this out for anyone in the future who finds themselves in this situation. There is hope and if you stand your ground, you have a chance to get out of a bad car deal. I think it helped that we initially acknowledged our responsibility in this instead of putting all the blame on them. This was a big life lesson for us and I’m kind of glad to have gotten that lesson early in life (we are in our early twenties). My parents saw nothing wrong with this car deal. That was a big eye opener for me. Many older adults just aren’t smart with money and I don’t want to be like that. We will soon be looking into refinancing our current car, pay it down and not even think about getting rid of it before we break even!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

please knock Mom! posted:

Eh TTS isn't all that bad, but you can't just get a random game module and expect it to be great. I played Hansa Teutonica, also known as Cube Pusher: The Cube Pushing Game, on it and it worked great!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Eldarion posted:

:yeah:

Far too few people play cribbage.

My father-in-law taught me Cribbage. I got 27 points once, which was a blue ribbon day. Otherwise it's just me getting stunked over and over again.

It's a fun game. Far better than Spoons or whatever New Englanders play when its wicked cold and the internet sucks.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Man dates woman 12 years younger than him who was a financial disaster when they met. Shocked that she remains a financial disaster 4 years later.

quote:

My(36M) girlfriend (24F) is making poor financial choices and I'm concerned about our future.

Finances have always been a major hangup for me in relationships. It was a big part of my parents divorce. I watched my 10 year older sister go into bankruptcy off cash advances. I've had ex's with tons of pets and debt etc.

I live frugally, and save. I was fortunate to be able to return to college in my late 20s and complete a degree with zero debt. I met my current girlfriend in college. We had the same major and worked in a tutoring center. She was interesting to me then, but things were complicated already with a young daughter from a prior relationship. She was also with a guy who I assumed was on the way out. She talked poo poo about him, seemed unhappy, etc. All that changed when she got pregnant(I found out later she had her iud removed to conceive). He proposed, and I moved on.

He dumped her shortly after the boy was born. We continued as acquaintances/co-workers. I graduated a year before her. I was able to find a job in education after graduation. Big pay bump, generally pleased with life. Her student teaching semester came up and she was assigned to my site. We became closer, went on a dinner movie date, it was fun. I hadn't been with anyone for 5+ years. We studied for and took our competency certification exams together.

Then in March of 2018, my mother died in a house fire. I was on my way back from a ski trip when I found out. I was gutted, and just couldn't pursue a relationship at the time. Turns out, at the same time she was hired into the same site I assigned. I had previously found a new gig at a highschool so I was being transferred. We didn't talk for a year.

In Feb of 2019, I shot her a message, and we reconnected. She had moved into town from way out in boonies, rented a house. We began to officially be a couple. For the first month, house looked nice, kids had dinner at table. It seemed functional and pleasant.

Over the year, there were a few "money crises" but nothing outrageous. Lots of take out. I tried to show her how to cook more. She wouldn't touch leftovers. She wouldn't pack lunch for work instead charging 3.75 per day at school cafeteria and then on her free day she would go out to fast food. I'm noticing more receipts in plastic bags from Dollar tree and hobby lobby for stickers and pens and craft things.

"Wish I had more money for daycare..."

I found out she had two repoed cars with the boy's father that they were garnishing her check for. Her student loans were 35k and she's hedging on her participation in the public service debt forgiveness program. She paid nothing toward interest on top of not filing the yearly paperwork (WHICH IS PART OF THE AGREEMENT FOR FORGIVENESS).

I keep my own place, which she said was different for her. Most prior relationships were predicated on cohabitation for her. No thank you.

Then in December, she says she wants to get a dog. "It'll be fun for kids, I get lonely when you're gone." Having had prior experience with a pet owner ex, I advised against it. She even had been burned by her boy's father who decided to get a puppy while she was pregnant so I was confused. I explained how much pets are, how she would be the responsible adult, have to take to vet if it gets in a fight(lots of stray cats in neighbor, etc) You can't expect a 7 year old to understand how much is needed. Get your daughter a lizard or a tarantula or a spider.

Somehow she decided against it(the compromise was a 35$ basketball goal). Not a day later came a disconnect notice for electricity. She was two months over due? I was flabbergasted, but kept it in. Around this time, I was able to access my mother's checking account. (She died without payable on death and no will in place and with a burned out uninsured home so probate didn't happen, bank was just trying to close old stuff down.). I decided, since this whole time we'd been pretty fortunate to not have any baby scares I would help her get a new iud installed. I offered to cover all expenses. It came out to 850$. Fine, at least no babies now.

In February, I helped her do her taxes. She did very well. All of a sudden she had money again. 11k altogether. I advised her to take care of at least one of the cars in repo.

She got a rainbow hairdye job. Fine, a little reward is one thing. I'm busy with two jobs, so when I visit her place I notice more take out leftovers. She saves them for me? Okay thanks, at least it won't go to waste.

Two weeks ago, my father passed away. He had been in hospital for 3 weeks prior. My girlfriend wasn't very supportive or helpful while he was in hospital. She appeared to have no ability to comfort me after I found out he died. She never met my father, and I did feel badly for that.

Present day: So now, as teachers, we're out of school for rest of year. She then decided it was time for a dog. The last day before pounds close to the public, she adopts a 10 month old medium/large mutt. I will admit, the animals temperament is reasonable. But why get an animal now?? So she's out the pet deposit fee to her prop mgmt, she buys at least 200$ more of bowls and cages. To me, such a waste...I've been trying to get her to start an IRA, make good financial decisions.

To top it off, four days ago, a delivery truck drops off a pallet of supplies. She's bought a 750$ HUGE playground for her kids. It's like she didn't even consider, will it fit? Is this too much? Should I ask my boyfriend?.. she's down to 5k of the initial 11k.

So the expectation is that i bring over my tools and help her assemble it. I have not texted her much. I really don't want to. I feel like I need to sever this. She's not going to make the changes needed for a real future with me. I'm not against marriage or kids, but I'm not going to waste time hoping someone starts to get their stuff together. She's young, and had experiences which might contribute to her poor decisions but dammit. I feel like I've already wasted a year at this point. Should I cut the cord?

TL;DR Girlfriend is emotionally distant during crisis, makes repetitively bad money decisions, and claims I don't take our relationship seriously. Cut cord?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
She sounds like trouble, but he sounds absolutely miserable to be around.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

She sounds like trouble, but he sounds absolutely miserable to be around.

That's the most fun subtext about these "my partner is making terrible financial decisions" stories!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
"My horse business is failing. How is this possible?"

"P.S. In a shocking twist, all these horse people are crazy and bad with money. Somehow, becoming a 50/50 co-owner of a business with a crazy person without a contract turned out badly! How could I have seen this coming?"

quote:

My friend’s (34F) husband (42M) is ruining our business and leaving me (32F) in a lurch

I hope this isn’t confusing. My friend/business partner and I run a sales horse business and share a horse barn business as well. We decided to rent this barn together in January after running the business out of her barn for 6 months. We split the expenses 50/50. Our own personal horses we pay for separately. My friend is the one on the barn lease, but that is only because I was out of town for two months while my father was having serious medical issues and that was the time of the lease signing which had to be on paper no online signing option and no time to mail the paperwork. But we were 50/50 partners. We didn’t have a contract, it which was a mistake but I doubt it actually matters.

My friend’s husband has one horse and some sheep on the property but he isn’t a partner in the business or the barn, and my friend and him have separate finances so he doesn’t actually pay for anything. Fast forward to about a month ago and my friend’s husband has decided he doesn’t like me. He supposedly constantly yells at my friend everyday about me And has an issue with everything I do. We were going to leave this barn on June 30th due to an error in the contract with the landlord, and we were going to go to a new barn together. Then my friend said I cannot come and she cannot take our 10 sales horses we co-own because of her husband. Then her husband decided I needed to leave by May 1st or he’s divorcing my friend and will set loose all of our horses on the road and they won’t be allowed back on “his place”. He totally thinks this is his place even though he has no right. He has wrecked all sorts of stuff at the barn and thinks he has rights over our sales horses (including putting them in dangerous situations because he’s pretty reckless).

My friend said she doesn’t want to fight with him anymore and she’s not going to get divorced over this, so I need to leave by May 1st, but that she feels very bad.. then every two days she says that he says I can stay until June but then he throws a big fit and kicks me out again. He should not be able to kick me out and neither should she. I’m leaving to make it easier on her, not because I have to, but she doesn’t think that. She thinks I have to leave because he says so..

Now she says she can take the sales horses with her but I’m still totally screwed. I have to find a place I can afford to put my 5 horses in New Jersey in the middle of coronavirus, with 3 weeks notice.

My husband thinks my friend is the bad guy not just her husband and I can’t talk to him about it without him getting very angry at her.

TLDR: I’m being screwed by my business partner /friend because her husband doesn’t like me.

I have to admit, threatening to divorce your business partner's best friend and set a dozen horses loose on the freeway is a pretty impressive business negotiation technique.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

coming to Netflix: Horse Queen

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Motronic posted:

amateur_small_business.txt This is not contained to board games. I live near a tourist town.......hot sauces, witches, smoke shops, "edgy" t shirts, lovely "antiques"........we have it all. They go down more than not in normal times.

There are the ones run by pro small scale retailers and then.......most of the others.

The real weird poo poo is when you've got some store in town that you've never seen with a single customer, that just seems to have been hoarding the same objects for 30+ years, and they're all the sorts of toys that were in vogue from before you were born, yet they're still open day after day, seemingly in business.

All I can figure is it's either an organized crime front, some rich person's hobby or if you go in there and you've been a bad child some witch behind the counter turns you into a toy for her shelves.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Best article title:

laid-off-and-need-cash-want-a-boat-a-couple-can-take-400000-from-their-retirement-accounts-penalty-free-under-covid-19-tax-relief

I didn't actually read the article though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The article suggests not doing that but illustrates how to if you need the money for an emergency.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

PurpleXVI posted:

The real weird poo poo is when you've got some store in town that you've never seen with a single customer, that just seems to have been hoarding the same objects for 30+ years, and they're all the sorts of toys that were in vogue from before you were born, yet they're still open day after day, seemingly in business.

All I can figure is it's either an organized crime front, some rich person's hobby or if you go in there and you've been a bad child some witch behind the counter turns you into a toy for her shelves.

In Seattle (and probably the bay area) it sure seems like every quirky vintage boutique or collectable toy store which are all pretty much two steps above a nice-looking Goodwill in a better neighborhood are pretty much guaranteed to be run by the spouse of someone in the tech industry who wants them to keep them busy, or someone who just cashed out their portfolio and is now retired at age 40 and looking to relive their childhood.

But then there's the super sketchy. I once lived near a barbershop/hair salon place on a pretty high traffic corner of a recently gentrified neighborhood. It's not like this was skid row. The lights were on, it was fully stocked with product. Delivery trucks would deliver things every couple weeks. People I assumed to be employees would be inside and I'd see them reading the paper or sitting at the desk on the phone. The door was always locked, had a closed sign posted with no business hours, and if you shook the door thinking it was open as many many many people did one of them would just shout "We're closed" and go back to ignoring you. I never saw anyone go in.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Midjack posted:

The article suggests not doing that but illustrates how to if you need the money for an emergency.

Can't 401ks be abused by loading them with assets that are intentionally undervalued initially, like specifically designed classes of stock in a private equity purchase? There were probably people out there with more than they need in a 401k, and this gives them a chance to get some out earlier.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Can't 401ks be abused by loading them with assets that are intentionally undervalued initially, like specifically designed classes of stock in a private equity purchase? There were probably people out there with more than they need in a 401k, and this gives them a chance to get some out earlier.

You're thinking about Mitt Romney's $100 million dollar IRA.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Motronic posted:

You're thinking about Mitt Romney's $100 million dollar IRA.

Right, that's the most egregious example but I'm assuming it may be prevalent on a smaller scale in industries where that's possible.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Board game chat and nobody mentioned Pandemic? In these times? For shame!

It's actually a really good game and well designed - steadily ramps up the tension, never takes more than a half hour to hour depending on how you play, and everyone is on the same team working together so you avoid kingmaker problems or over-competitive assholes.

If it has a flaw it's that it's susceptible to quarterbacking by a dominant or bossy personality

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

It's actually a really good game and well designed - steadily ramps up the tension, never takes more than a half hour to hour depending on how you play, and everyone is on the same team working together so you avoid kingmaker problems or over-competitive assholes.

If it has a flaw it's that it's susceptible to quarterbacking by a dominant or bossy personality

It’s a really popular LARP these days.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

I played it altogether too much over a decade ago, so it's hard to remember to recommend it. :v:

Pandemic Legacy Season 1 is fantabulous though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PurpleXVI posted:

If you're the owner and only employee, the only fixed costs are rent / mortgage / tax and utilities. If you buy any new inventory it's probably something that sells because you no longer have room for more terrible garbage, and the garbage you have is garbage that you picked up at the last FLGS going out of business sale.

If you have a minor profit and you're willing to eat a lot of ramen, you can coast for quite a while.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

silvergoose posted:

I played it altogether too much over a decade ago, so it's hard to remember to recommend it. :v:

Pandemic Legacy Season 1 is fantabulous though.

I forgot how old this game is. Legacy is great though for sure

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DarkHorse posted:

This is what has ruined the game for me. Everyone is privy to all the information, and you discuss your turn with the whole table, so you tend to just get instructions from the first person to figure out the correct moves for the turn. Booo

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is what has ruined the game for me. Everyone is privy to all the information, and you discuss your turn with the whole table, so you tend to just get instructions from the first person to figure out the correct moves for the turn. Booo

We sometimes do no table talk which is fun. I think legacy version is way better too.

I also own gloomhaven, I bought it when I broke my collar bone, and an like 15% done with that. We do enjoy it though.

Honestly I am just playing a lot of Nintendo switch though.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

When did I get a ticket to ride this boaring derail

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Dr. Eldarion posted:

:yeah:

Far too few people play cribbage.

Cribbage is a good game and some people have made good free apps that aren't filled with obnoxious ads, which is both GWM and GWL.

Ascension and Clank are both really random, snowball-y market-row deckbuilding games that don't understand what makes Dominion great. Dominion is still the best deckbuilding game around.

If you want a game that's like Pandemic but doesn't have as much quarterbacking potential, try Magic Maze or Kitchen Rush.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Same here. Loudest person at the table tends to dominate everything.

quote:

Magic Maze

This looks right up my alley! Thanks. :)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

golden bubble posted:

Cribbage is a good game and some people have made good free apps that aren't filled with obnoxious ads, which is both GWM and GWL.

Ascension and Clank are both really random, snowball-y market-row deckbuilding games that don't understand what makes Dominion great. Dominion is still the best deckbuilding game around.

If you want a game that's like Pandemic but doesn't have as much quarterbacking potential, try Magic Maze or Kitchen Rush.

I don't mind clank (in space) but it has nothing on Dominion.

Magic maze looks good.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Cribbage is way more fun that you'd expect, but be forewarned that if you ask someone to teach you how to play it's absolutely going to sound like they are making up bullshit as they go to screw with you even if they really are trying to teach you.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Oh yeah, that's his nibs, that means I get an extra point

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I also own gloomhaven, I bought it when I broke my collar bone, and an like 15% done with that. We do enjoy it though.

We bought Gloomhaven and didn't open it for 2 years. We've played 4 maps I think?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

moana posted:

Oh yeah, that's his nibs, that means I get an extra point

"I have a Jack so I get an extra point like you did, right?"

"Nope, wrong kind of Jack."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

A jack flipped up, so I get two points. Nobs.