Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

yeah, it would have to actually be a good game instead of a really bad game

from last page, but yeah. Rogue Legacy is one of the few roguelikes that I've actually completed since nethack so considering how bad I am at bideo james I'm unironically inclined to agree with this

You don't understand just how bad I am, I promise you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

normally i dont try to go for the heart in slay since i am bad at the game but i gave it my first try tonight with a shiv deck. i made it there and then the 1 damage per card poo poo all over me mercilessly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Awesome! posted:

normally i dont try to go for the heart in slay since i am bad at the game but i gave it my first try tonight with a shiv deck. i made it there and then the 1 damage per card poo poo all over me mercilessly.

Heart shits over most decks mercilessly, except for the ones that get poo poo on by the Twins instead. I've beaten it on A5 with Watcher and that's the best I've done.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

No Wave posted:

These are the ascensions:

I've finished through 6 and none of them have made the game harder yet. 11, 13, and 14 seem like the ones that will actually increase the difficulty substantially.

Wait wait wait wait does that mean that on the highest ascension you more or less have to play perfectly :stare:?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ConfusedPig posted:

Wait wait wait wait does that mean that on the highest ascension you more or less have to play perfectly :stare:?
No... you can still apply shield and find max hp upgrades. I think shopkeeper actually trivializes it and she starts with 1 hp but 400 max hp.

I'm on 12 now (which does basically nothing) and I'm most afraid of the hell pass 13 change.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Jedit posted:

Heart shits over most decks mercilessly, except for the ones that get poo poo on by the Twins instead. I've beaten it on A5 with Watcher and that's the best I've done.

The heart is a miserable final boss, unpleasantly reminiscent of the Rebel Flagship. Roguelikes that have final bosses seem to make them terrible pretty consistently.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

They both force you to transition out of one-note builds and probably scuttle your first go at them simply by you not knowing what to expect. So ya that's pretty accurate, but I don't think it's all bad.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

risk of rain 2 recently got a big update that added artifacts, and revisiting it has reminded me of how good a game it is? it's genuinely just really goddamn fun. i unlocked loader recently, and just earlier got the artifact of chaos which activates friendly fire for everyone, including enemies. things just get bugshit crazy and i love it. they've packed in so much weird and hidden poo poo over time, too.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

It also helps that the Heart is considered a bonus boss by the game. Spire considers beating act 3 a win even if you die to the heart or the elites before it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

megane posted:

The heart is a miserable final boss, unpleasantly reminiscent of the Rebel Flagship. Roguelikes that have final bosses seem to make them terrible pretty consistently.

It’s enough to make me miss Rodney.

Why doesn’t the rebel flagship turn into an elf lord?

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

megane posted:

I used to feel this way, but after watching a lot of Jorbs streams I like the Heart a lot more. The fact that there's a shop before really makes a difference, I think. It's sort of the superset of things you need to deal with the different bosses - Time Eaters "number of cards played matters", Awakened Ones "You need to be able to do your deck concept at least twice, instead of having a single big-bang turn" and Donu and Deca's "You need to scale fast or hit hard." So you know what boss you'll have start of Act 3, on A20 you know you're getting one of the other two, and then the Heart is going to require all of it. But it's not like the Rebel Flagship where you need a one-and-done ascension kit; you need the same things you need for the three bosses, just all of it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

OSFE just got an update and mana regen stops increasing after 15 spells now. RIP me. Now I have to actually learn to how to play the game.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

No Wave posted:

OSFE just got an update and mana regen stops increasing after 15 spells now. RIP me. Now I have to actually learn to how to play the game.

Yeah but they changed Selicy's attack to be 0 mana so she feels so much better.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The shopkeeper is fuckin hard if you fight her legit and not instant killing her with the Link card. Especially now that she gets scaling defense.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Finally got around to posting a One Step From Eden thread. I was trying to come up with a good OP but then I realized nobody gives a poo poo. Also gently caress the shopkeeper.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Picked up Necrodancer for the first time last night, seeing as it was like $4 o the switch and I needed a less time involved game on there. I am dreadfully poo poo at it, it seems. I very rarely reach past the second level down, and have only once made it to an actual boss, the conga one, and he absolutely wrecked my rear end in about 20 seconds.

What is the pattern for the bats? I can't make sense of what they're gonna do at any moment, they seem to move totally randomly and attack at equally random times.

What's the trick to red dragons? If I try to move when I see the flame breath charged up, I get hit as I jump to the side. Is there some other tell that I'm missing?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The bats are completely random, making them one of the trickiest enemies in the game, especially the red ones since they move every beat. Never move next to a bat unless it's a blue bat that just moved (and thus cannot move again). Instead move so that if the bat decides to move it might land next to you, allowing you to attack it.

The red dragon hits everything on the horizontal in the direction it's facing, one turn after it charges. You have to move vertically to avoid it. You can e.g. hit it on the turn it spends charging, then move up/down to dodge the attack.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

Picked up Necrodancer for the first time last night, seeing as it was like $4 o the switch and I needed a less time involved game on there. I am dreadfully poo poo at it, it seems. I very rarely reach past the second level down, and have only once made it to an actual boss, the conga one, and he absolutely wrecked my rear end in about 20 seconds.

What is the pattern for the bats? I can't make sense of what they're gonna do at any moment, they seem to move totally randomly and attack at equally random times.

What's the trick to red dragons? If I try to move when I see the flame breath charged up, I get hit as I jump to the side. Is there some other tell that I'm missing?
This will change how you view red bats forever: https://youtu.be/4FiKsCfANgA?t=45

For red dragons they will always start charging their breath when you are horizontally on their row. The easy way to beat them is just bring them somewhere where you have a lot of vertical distance and you can just kite them upwards. The hard way, well, there's a little tutorial room off the main stage selection area that has a tutorial called "Red Dragon Dance".

Losing a lot at Necrodancer is totally normal. Very harsh learning curve. Definitely practice bosses in the practice area so that you can see what they're actually up to.

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013
Reinstalled Antibirth conversion for Isaac Rebirth on a whim since just after it came out I was crashing like crazy so I didn't put much time into it.

No crashes yet and it's so good. Way better than any of the official expansions plus that OST is great.

Getting pretty excited for the official version coming ?soon.

On the topic: also made a mod awhile back which I'm crossing my fingers will get put in the Racing+ mod this year which is pretty sweet. Link below if anyone is interested.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1095627043

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
don't mind me just posting some nukey throne
https://twitter.com/DEL_steamer/status/1244219372635209729
https://twitter.com/okajamira/status/1248251470866087937

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Kings and queens of the wasteland we still are :zpatriot:

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
so KeeperRL is free to download for now. It's just alpha 29, not future updates or anything

https://keeperrl.com/free-quarantine-alpha-29-download/

I haven't played it before today, but seems like a neat cross between roguelike and dungeon keeper.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

so what is the best looking tradional Rogue gamey game. My bets Tangledeep

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Junkie Disease posted:

so what is the best looking tradional Rogue gamey game. My bets Tangledeep

For me it's CoQ hands down. Love everything about how it looks, the visual style, the palette, the simple but atmospheric animations, just the whole thing.

The pixel art in Tangledeep was clearly made with love and sort of stands in it's own category above other traditional RL tiles.

Cogmind ASCII art is also real good poo poo. The weapon catalogue and some of the static map elements are :discourse:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'd vote DoomRL or Cogmind, if the latter is classical enough.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Brogue is really pretty, ASCII or not

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In my quest to play every game in my Steam library I put a couple of hours into Ziggurat today, which is fun even though I'm not really a PC shooter guy. Have managed to get a little further in each run compared to the prior run other than one go-around with some really terrible luck, which I guess is the ideal roguelike experience. Anyone else here put much time into this game?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, I go back to Ziggurat every so often just because it's short and feels real good to play.

It doesn't have a poo poo-ton of content like, say, Isaac, but I feel like there's enough to make it fun to pick up from time to time.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's a tie between Caves of Qud and Cogmind. Both are really strong at the visual polish for very different reasons, it's great.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'd vote Qud but thats a pretty subjective metric.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Shiren the Wanderer.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Shiren the Wanderer.

Oh crap I forgot that and pmd

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

C-Euro posted:

In my quest to play every game in my Steam library I put a couple of hours into Ziggurat today, which is fun even though I'm not really a PC shooter guy. Have managed to get a little further in each run compared to the prior run other than one go-around with some really terrible luck, which I guess is the ideal roguelike experience. Anyone else here put much time into this game?

I played through it some years back yeah, I don't remember the specifics super clearly anymore but I had a good time with it.

If you like it I'd also recommend Immortal Redneck which I believe most people consider to be (even?) better than Ziggurat. I actually finished that one just a few days ago and added a page with some tips for it in the Before I Play wiki.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Yeah, Immortal Redneck has the most inverse ratio from horrible title to great game I've ever played. I should pick it back up, I got stymied on the second pyramid.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, Immortal Redneck has the most inverse ratio from horrible title to great game I've ever played. I should pick it back up, I got stymied on the second pyramid.

The second pyramid's likely the biggest difficulty jump. I put it on that page but yeah, I ultimately found Amunet (the ninja) and Neith (the sniper) the most useful favors since large open rooms tend to be the most dangerous and they start with great tools to deal with those while also being solid at shorter ranges. I got hit with the curse that removes all your weapons except your current one but gives it infinite ammo like 1/4 into the third pyramid as Amunet, and made it all the way to the final boss just throwing kunai at everything.

Neith is the one I actually beat the game with, the Burst Machine Gun shreds things at close range and the Sniper Rifle one-shots most things at distant ranges thanks to her passive. The Tranquilizer Gun also has pinpoint accuracy so it's easy to tranq a couple of dangerous targets at any range and either snipe or burst them while they're stunned, it's a real well-balanced loadout and you can definitely beat the game even without picking up any other weapons, though it's not the best against bosses.

I did find Farsight in that successful run which is the Perfect Dark reference/sniper rifle except it sees and kills enemies through walls, so that sure didn't hurt. Think you only unlock it in the third pyramid though.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Anybody played Mortal Glory?

quote:

Mortal Glory is a fantasy-themed tactical roguelike game about recruiting a team of gladiators and pitting them against brutal competition in a blood-soaked tournament. Train your gladiators, find a legendary sword, learn ancient spells, recruit a celebrity, cheat - do whatever it takes to bring glory to your name!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1097530/Mortal_Glory/

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

I picked it up a couple weeks ago. It’s pretty fun managing equipment sets and rotating out injured dudes.

Also I’ve finally played ToME and it’s pretty awesome.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Hey, has anyone here played Nowhere Prophet? It looks really slick from the screenshots but I'm wary whether it's an actual-factual roguelike or not

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

hito posted:

Hey, has anyone here played Nowhere Prophet? It looks really slick from the screenshots but I'm wary whether it's an actual-factual roguelike or not

It's now pretty good, and I don't really have anything to compare it to. It has an FTL overworld and a neat if fairly simple at any given moment tactical battle system.

My big quibble is that there's not a lot of decision making as to what cards you put in your deck, you just make a pile of the higher rarity cards you have and MAYBE add or subtract a few that work really well or badly with your deck. But I've still got like fifty hours in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
I just started playing Door in the Woods and am stuck on the Lone Wolf scenario. It seems like the entire scenario is designed around food scarcity and it gives you tons of tools to deal with that, but nothing to handle water. How are you supposed to sterilize the swamp water without any containers? Or if you drink the swamp water how do you cure your dysentery without alcohol?