Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

rt4 posted:

He's apparently programming for Windows, which is a weird edge case

Games for Windows, which seems pretty common given the size of Steam's catalog

Storysmith posted:

More to the point, the video starts spending ten minutes lambasting a stranger for assuming that he’s incompetent instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt and he then spends thirty minutes assuming the VS team is completely incompetent instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt that their product owners are optimizing for use cases that aren’t his (it all kinda blurred together but i thought he mentioned that the otherwise empty solution is only using VS for the debugger and possibly release builds?).

Yeah, the second half of the video where he goes from decrying the assumption of ignorance on others' part to embodying that assumption is a real Shyamalan twist.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Munkeymon posted:

Games for Windows, which seems pretty common given the size of Steam's catalog.
Windows has a learning curve compared to other platforms - there are many implementation details and apis that will make you wonder if the designers were drunk space aliens just doing this for a laugh. The windows port is always going to end up with the most voodoo if you're trying to do cross platform support. That doesn't mean windows isn't a common case to develop for, but it's still special for how much aggregation it can cause.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Windows has a learning curve compared to other platforms - there are many implementation details and apis that will make you wonder if the designers were drunk space aliens just doing this for a laugh. The windows port is always going to end up with the most voodoo if you're trying to do cross platform support. That doesn't mean windows isn't a common case to develop for, but it's still special for how much aggregation it can cause.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

You're right. Maybe the company developing Windows could also come out with a good development environment that works well on their platform instead of depending on whoever develops Visual Studio. :geno:

More in coding horrors of yore news:

https://twitter.com/mvzelenks/status/1248645966363795458

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The real horror is that New Jersey (and maybe other states) isn't planning on paying the people who are going to work on all these old systems. They want volunteers.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

oh what lol

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You're right. Maybe the company developing Windows could also come out with a good development environment that works well on their platform instead of depending on whoever develops Visual Studio. :geno:

The Windows Team and developer division (Which includes VS and .NET) hate each other, so it could just be spite by the VS team to make it lovely :shrug:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ultrafilter posted:

The real horror is that New Jersey (and maybe other states) isn't planning on paying the people who are going to work on all these old systems. They want volunteers.

They realistically can't afford to, and you don't want to pay for a bunch of people who literally just learned about this if it turns out that they're only going to give you hot garbage.

I'm actually going to try to do this, so that I can actually learn about COBOL instead of just laughing at it, and possibly even help my state out if it turns out I can.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volmarias posted:

They realistically can't afford to, and you don't want to pay for a bunch of people who literally just learned about this if it turns out that they're only going to give you hot garbage.

I'm actually going to try to do this, so that I can actually learn about COBOL instead of just laughing at it, and possibly even help my state out if it turns out I can.

You are a sucker if you code for a company/government for free.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ultrafilter posted:

Volmarias posted:

If that is the case I can only assume that the NJ managers, administrators and assorted boyars who put out this call for unpaid volunteers are leading from the front by refusing to collect their salaries and bonuses. To do otherwise would be unthinkable.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Believe me, I'm aware of how dumb this sounds for me to do. No need to tell me about the well here, let alone piss in it.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

COBOL is bad but it’s more that it doesn’t work like a modern language where there’s a small set of language constructs that are put together in a wide number of ways. Doing that requires a parser more sophisticated than machines of the time could handle so they’re simple state machines that change states based on oodles of keywords. To give an idea of what it feels like, think of a procedural SQL since I describe SQL as relational COBOL.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

1337JiveTurkey posted:

COBOL is bad but it’s more that it doesn’t work like a modern language where there’s a small set of language constructs that are put together in a wide number of ways. Doing that requires a parser more sophisticated than machines of the time could handle so they’re simple state machines that change states based on oodles of keywords. To give an idea of what it feels like, think of a procedural SQL since I describe SQL as relational COBOL.

I’ve heard this described as an orthogonal language design, where there are a small set of features, but they can all interact with each other. It first showed up in Algol68.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There's also this

https://twitter.com/danluu/status/1248778421695434752

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Visual Studio is so far ahead of the competition in terms of being a great IDE that I often hear people talk about JetBrains products as "VS but for X" and "VS but without Y". Don't even get me started on things like Eclipse and NetBeans.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

COBOL-based IRC bot: https://github.com/heddwch/WOPO

Tooling that allows you to run COBOL from NodeJS: https://github.com/IonicaBizau/node-cobol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beamed posted:

Visual Studio is so far ahead of the competition in terms of being a great IDE that I often hear people talk about JetBrains products as "VS but for X" and "VS but without Y". Don't even get me started on things like Eclipse and NetBeans.

visual studio is garbage but only if you don't already have Stockholm syndrome

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Petition to start calling such Unicode symbols "mimics".

http://shapecatcher.com/unicode/info/120263

retur𝗇

http://shapecatcher.com/unicode/info/1400

returո

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Visual Studio is an extremely effective IDE for writing .NET languages in. In my experience it's terrible for writing C++ in, and I don't think the team that maintains it really cares to invest much time in improving that. I believe they see it as a legacy language. Other languages, I couldn't say.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

When Visual Studio works it's fantastic. Perhaps my favorite :discourse: touches are intellisense things, it knows which imports I want, which functions I want to call given what I've already called, that I'm handling enum number three because I've already done the first two, lots of clever stuff like that makes C# boilerplate fly out of your fingers. And it's stable. Multiple instances, run this, debug that, smash laptop lid in/out of sleep, no problem. And the memory of how long it took me to get it to run without problems is long gone.

But when I'm onboarding someone or reinstalling, I suddenly get errors I've never heard about and they never EVER point to the actual problem.

"Hey can you help me run this A? VS says A can't run because B failed to load C. But I have C?"
"Ah. You need to install F. I think F is enough by itself, but I'm not sure..."

We were joking about this on the team before The Event. When you try to document Microsoft instructions, it's like a blind man giving directions to another blind man in a time before accessibility.

"I smashed my head into a wall, then I circled a block three times to the left, then two times to the right, then smashed my head three more times, one block to the left, back, forth, turn around, smash, to the right, to the left, reverse, to the right, and then you'll arrive at Chez Guillaume Ports. I asked the waiter there if that was the best way, my head and legs were aching. He asked me if I had the latest restaurant flyer, which I did. Then he asked me what I've tried to do. After I went through it all, he said that if it worked, that was the correct route."

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Visual Studio used to be my favorite 10 years ago. Easily the only good thing Microsoft has ever made.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CUDA has been out for over a decade and is one of the hottest architectures in high performance computing but Intellisense still can't parse it. Support for the Nvidia toolchain was added so that you can compile and run CUDA executables but Intellisense fills your IDE with red squiggles

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And like I mentioned earlier, cmake support is there in Visual Studio but extremely bad compared to things like cmake-gui or even ccmake.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hammerite posted:

Visual Studio is an extremely effective IDE for writing .NET languages in. In my experience it's terrible for writing C++ in, and I don't think the team that maintains it really cares to invest much time in improving that. I believe they see it as a legacy language. Other languages, I couldn't say.

I got a pretty decent turnaround on a compilation error in C++ when I sent one to them. :shrug:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Beamed posted:

I prefer JetBrains Rider to Visual Studio for C# dev these days, and CLion for C++ dev. Visual Studio was only ever great compared to the shitshow of other IDEs, and even then, ReSharper was a must-have for a long time. I can't think of anything that Visual Studio does that I miss from a JetBrains IDE.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Beamed posted:

That's because VS was far ahead of the competition for a long time so it became the Kleenex of IDE's.

That doesn't mean that it's far ahead of the competition now.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Volte posted:

I prefer JetBrains Rider to Visual Studio for C# dev these days, and CLion for C++ dev. Visual Studio was only ever great compared to the shitshow of other IDEs, and even then, ReSharper was a must-have for a long time. I can't think of anything that Visual Studio does that I miss from a JetBrains IDE.

I'm actually with you, but the idea that Visual Studio is somehow this deprecated garbage program is just so antithetical to the experience of actually developing it.

Thermopyle posted:

That's because VS was far ahead of the competition for a long time so it became the Kleenex of IDE's.

That doesn't mean that it's far ahead of the competition now.

I'd probably contend that without JetBrains, VS is still clearly leaps and bounds ahead of any competition.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Beamed posted:

I'd probably contend that without JetBrains, VS is still clearly leaps and bounds ahead of any competition.

This may or may not be true, I can't say I spend a lot of time evaluating IDE's over time. If it's accurate, I'm not sure it saves your original statement. I mean...JetBrains is the competition apparently.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
If you're a Microsoft shop then any singular product competition is irrelevant. You use VS, have build and release pipelines in devops and host poo poo on Azure because what originally started as an MSDN license for Visual Studio is now integrated licensing into the entire ecosystem.

Rider is a better experience now then VS is so if given a choice (lol) I would use Rider. I also still use Resharper in VS even with the large performance hit at [day job] because of the bulk refactoring tools.

The only feature I actively miss when using Rider is "paste JSON as class", which is the real good poo poo right there. Paste JSON as class, bulk rename for correct property capitalization, split into files and adjust namespace. You've got POCOs for a web service all laid out correctly in like a minute.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The game industry just uses VS. The last platform where you didn't use VS was the PS2, which used MetroWerks CodeWarrior. The one thing it's not good at is understanding C++ when build options aren't defined through project properties (because the project is built with CMake or basically any other external build system). This is basically all games, though. It's sort of impossible, though -- how can visual studio know that the external build tool is going to add "/DFOOBAR" to your compile command line because of a conditional?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

more falafel please posted:

The game industry just uses VS. The last platform where you didn't use VS was the PS2, which used MetroWerks CodeWarrior. The one thing it's not good at is understanding C++ when build options aren't defined through project properties (because the project is built with CMake or basically any other external build system). This is basically all games, though. It's sort of impossible, though -- how can visual studio know that the external build tool is going to add "/DFOOBAR" to your compile command line because of a conditional?

Maybe they can change the compiler to dump the call parameters to a log file. The IDE would then parse the log file and learn about FOOBAR.
The heuristic for things that look like macros could be to make it a warning, but not a error. Paint them yellow, not with a red line.

Perhaps the IDE could parse and understand the makefile thing? even simulate the invocation phase until the point the parameters are calculated.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

more falafel please posted:

Visual Studio can already parse cmake files and it knows how to build using them, that's like 90% of the work needed to make Visual Studio be competent at using cmake. And you can even generate a CMakeCache using cmake and Visual Studio will know how to interpret that and will set up the build appropriately. All the VS developers really need to provide is a usable interface to cmake itself, which they have completely failed to do. This properties files bullshit is... bullshit

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
That looks like a lot more than just 10pt.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I got a pretty decent turnaround on a compilation error in C++ when I sent one to them. :shrug:

That's presumably the compiler team rather than the VS team per se though? I don't know what the teams at Microsoft look like internally

QuarkJets posted:

CUDA has been out for over a decade and is one of the hottest architectures in high performance computing but Intellisense still can't parse it. Support for the Nvidia toolchain was added so that you can compile and run CUDA executables but Intellisense fills your IDE with red squiggles

But it isn't a .NET language right? (I know nothing about it) Like I said, the VS team spends resources on making it hot poo poo for .NET languages and Microsoft's .NET based ecosystem, but they don't spend resources on other languages.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Hammerite posted:

But it isn't a .NET language right? (I know nothing about it) Like I said, the VS team spends resources on making it hot poo poo for .NET languages and Microsoft's .NET based ecosystem, but they don't spend resources on other languages.

I mean, here's the release notes for the latest VS quarterly update.

Sure there's more stuff for .NET and Typescript than for C++, which is easily explained since business programmers likely outnumber systems and games programmer 10:1, but the ongoing work on C++ isn't insignificant:

quote:

C++:

IntelliCode Team Completions model & member variables support
IntelliSense improvements
Connection Manager over the command line
Debug/deploy for WSL
Support for FIPS 140-2 compliance mode
Language services for CMake Language files & better CMake project manipulation
Visual Studio Linux projects now have more accurate IntelliSense and allow you to control remote header synchronization on a project-by-project basis.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

As someone who uses VS all day every day: I love using it, it's the best IDE for C++ work by far, the debugger rules, the editor is powerful, visual assist X improves the intellisense a lot, the debugging tools are fantastic, and memory view is invaluable. It's great! But it is absolutely full of horrible poo poo at the same time.

I think the worst parts about it are the fact that you have to dig around in vcxproj and property files if you want to do anything nonstandard since the configuration UI is horrible; the entire property importing thing for stuff like intellisense falls apart instantly when you have to do anything for a platform that isn't heavily supported. It barely supports makefile projects in any meaningful way and needs a bunch of hacks to support debugging a makefile project for another platform. And honestly the one that bites me the most regularly is how you can't configure the colors of the IDE without it being the most pain in the rear end hours-long process.

All in all though, if you're just on the fast-path to do Windows C++ Things then it's by far the best IDE out there (and probably still the best even with the pains for more obscure platforms; when possible. I just really wish I could configure a custom debugger/compiler easier)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Jewel posted:

As someone who uses VS all day every day: I love using it, it's the best IDE for C++ work by far, the debugger rules, the editor is powerful, visual assist X improves the intellisense a lot, the debugging tools are fantastic, and memory view is invaluable. It's great! But it is absolutely full of horrible poo poo at the same time.

So...how many times a year do you spend time really evaluating the competition?

(which, apparently, is only Jetbrains?)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hammerite posted:

That's presumably the compiler team rather than the VS team per se though? I don't know what the teams at Microsoft look like internally

Maybe?

quote:

They keep adding new C++ features and 2019 has way better template parsing for IntelliSense error marking and compile-time error reporting. I'm sorry, I don't get the impression that they're not taking C++ seriously enough, but maybe their C# tools are just way more impressive and I don't know because I've not had a chance to use them much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
C# is also much easier to make a good IDE for than C++ for like twenty reasons.