Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LMAO there's a forest fire at Chernobyl blowing radiation onto the wind.

Because lol, yeah, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

shovelbum posted:

Sitting up at night imagining what year 10 of waiting for a vaccine in a depression will be like lmao, all the weird loving kids born now who won't see anyone but their parents until they're 10 or whatever

man i didn't even think about that but really young kids probably will have some development issues because of this. socializing is pretty loving important

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

man i didn't even think about that but really young kids probably will have some development issues because of this. socializing is pretty loving important

Imagine going from 22 to 32 alone in a one bedroom apartment waiting for a vaccine and working your remote job or whatever

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Yeah, no country is going to be locked down past a year and a half, max. No one is up for that.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

shovelbum posted:

Imagine going from 22 to 32 alone in a one bedroom apartment waiting for a vaccine and working your remote job or whatever

Living the dream

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah, no country is going to be locked down past a year and a half, max. No one is up for that.

What's the alternative, this thing kills 20% without hospitals

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

shovelbum posted:

please dont dox my world of warcraft sub

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
And it's killing young workforce age people left and right in the US bc lol

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

speaking of, what's the deal with that article floating around that said s. korea had a bunch of cases of people getting re-infected? i know china claimed they had a few early on that most people chalked up to them accidentally releasing people who weren't actually cured / getting false negatives on tests, but it seems like s. korea was monitoring that stuff pretty hardcore

There's been reports of re-infection and re-activation. Different things, and I'm pretty sure it's up in the air which is happening and the implications of either.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

The radiation will simply shield europe from the locust swarms. It don't affect people because people is in lockdown inside their houses. You are already washing your hands often and drinking iodine are you?.

Once Krakatoa explode it will lower the planet temperature 6 degrees, helping with climate change. And the famines will fix the obesity pandemia.

Atoramos posted:

There's been reports of re-infection and re-activation. Different things, and I'm pretty sure it's up in the air which is happening and the implications of either.

I trough all where just artifacts of testing. Like a false negative, then a positive, making it look like something have change where nothing changed.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Telsa Cola posted:

China is.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Atoramos posted:

Reactivation a la ‘every year you might get to roll the dice of death’ would be.. what’s the word for civilization-ending?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Goreld posted:

Reactivation a la ‘every year you might get to roll the dice of death’ would be.. what’s the word for civilization-ending?

This poo poo hasn't been going on long so more like every few months

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Goreld posted:

"lol"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

my almost 3 year old moved up to the big kids room at day care two days before everything shut down and it would definitely have helped with her speech development to be around some peers rn

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Don't forget about the locusts!!

It's round 2 and it's bigger than before!

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

reactivation cases are almost certainly false negatives

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

why do you think it will take a decade to make a vaccine?

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

god bless you

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mantis42 posted:

Yeah it's likely to never happen you fool

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

Bc bringing a drug to market takes several years and a coronavirus vaccine would be one of the toughest tasks possible bc it's something that's been tried a bunch and failed

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

can't wait until they start doing vietnam-era drafting but this time when your birthday is pulled it means you are purposefully infected to establish herd immunity

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Tei posted:

I trough all where just artifacts of testing. Like a false negative, then a positive, making it look like something have change where nothing changed.

Goreld posted:

Reactivation a la 'every year you might get to roll the dice of death' would be.. what's the word for civilization-ending?

Yea this is the 'up in the air' part. Pretty sure it's been indicated the reactivation hadn't seemed to be deadlier than the initial phase of the infection, and not yet certain if it's due to poor test quality. Seems like the chances and implications of reinfection or reactivation are actually too early to tell, including the issue that antibodies (or lack thereof) presents.

While we absolutely should be prepared for a longer quarantine than anyone is publicly discussing, nobody's going to quarantine for a decade. Mostly because we'll likely bring down the CFR with effective treatments (perhaps that IL-6 inhibitor, perhaps BCG vaccine, time / research / experience will tell). If the CFR is brought down, even without a proper vaccine I bet the world would attempt to live with the virus despite the immense death that would bring.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
There's gonna be a vaccine you death cultists

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

shovelbum posted:

we could get the r0 under control if only someone would bravely go door-to-door murking all the dogs, but people aren't ready for such a frank conversation about canicide

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
lol if u think lockdown will last. number go down, also ppl starve

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Nobody is going to do a 10 years lockdown, not even in the worst case scenario. At that point we would soldier on and get out and live with death like is another part of life. Is a quarantine, not a forevertine.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

humanity teabagged to death by a virus

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm XML posted:

lol if u think lockdown will last. number go down, also ppl starve

Lockdown will end, number go up, people starve, another glorious day in the American empire.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

mark immune posted:

we could get the r0 under control if only someone would bravely go door-to-door murking all the dogs, but people aren't ready for such a frank conversation about canicide

why do you need to kill all the dogs?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Fun fact: scientists were working on a SARS-CoV vaccine for years and the funding dried up because "lol SARS"

Now we're balls deep in SARS-CoV-2 and while we still have that groundwork laid, it could be many years before the vaccine rolls out because we're starting from somewhere in the early stages of development.

So it likely won't take a decade, but it'll take a lot longer than if we hadn't been dumbasses that cut funding for science in order to gift extra yachts to hedge fund sociopaths and war merchants.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Krakatoa volcano in Indonesia is also erupting

https://twitter.com/sonnyafrica/status/1249217672933306372/photo/1

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Everyone Is going to disagree with me but don’t smoke weed, drink booze.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

shovelbum posted:

yeah 20% of people die I guess not like it doesn't happen all the loving time over the course of history. Hope it's not actually gonna kill 20% and like the more accepted 5% or whatever tops. Also hoping they work out a vaccine and the main thing stopping one before was just that it wasn't affecting the fate of the world at the time so everyone was making boner pills

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Ardennes posted:

you're right about one thing

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

There's gonna be a vaccine you death cultists

If herd immunity is actually possible and treatments like plasma donation are found to be effective enough to crater the CFR, I'm not convinced the quarantine would last long enough for a vaccine to be developed. I'd bet a vaccine is eventually made, but not sure if it will be fast enough depending on what other treatments might be found.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm feeling pessimistic as gently caress tonight so my gut is saying that the US ends all lockdowns by June, and the truly dumbfuck states end them in May. We're going to ignore the spikes because the state governments that aren't run entirely by drooling morons will realize they can't gently caress with interstate commerce and their lockdowns are pointless when half the country is embracing a newfound love for Papa Nurgle.

Even if I'm being really optimistic I can't see hardcore lockdowns lasting past August. Schools maybe stay out for the beginning of the next academic year, but there's going to be a desperate desire to reopen things during the summer so economy can exist again.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

you're right about one thing

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fun fact: scientists were working on a SARS-CoV vaccine for years and the funding dried up because "lol SARS"

Now we're balls deep in SARS-CoV-2 and while we still have that groundwork laid, it could be many years before the vaccine rolls out because we're starting from somewhere in the early stages of development.

So it likely won't take a decade, but it'll take a lot longer than if we hadn't been dumbasses that cut funding for science in order to gift extra child slaves to hedge fund sociopaths and war merchants.
minor correction, nobody smart will be on a yacht after this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Ardennes posted:

sorry, booze is low key poison and weed is the superior intoxicant but if u must drink then get high first so you don't have to drink as much to maintain a buzz