Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Harrow posted:

In the original Kalm flashback he remembers facing Sephiroth in a duel and winning so he still thinks he killed Sephiroth, he just doesn't remember how he really did it

Actually having recently played it, he remembers facing down Sephiroth but says he doesn't recall what happened and that by all rights he should have lost as Seph was way stronger than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

lol the Aerith house sneaking section is sadistic with these movement controls.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

lol the Aerith house sneaking section is sadistic with these movement controls.

I had to completely tap-tap-tap Cloud along pixel-by-pixel to get around the sudden garden of trash that erupted on their landing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just rotated the camera and pushed up. He goes straight so you just have to awkwardly go, stop, rotate, go. It was really annoying lol.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I like to imagine that Aerith intentionally strewed all that junk around after Cloud went to bed, like Macaulay Culkin setting traps in Home Alone.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The bucket literally right in front of your feet that you can't see unless you do an extremely bizarre panning shot around yourself the second you step outside was pretty funny, to be fair.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

lol Cloud is such an rear end in a top hat to the old man in sector 5 that just wants to visit his dead wife.

I like how immediately after this Aerith says 'doesn't it feel good to help people'?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Spermando posted:

I like how immediately after this Aerith says 'doesn't it feel good to help people'?
Yeah, because she sees through Cloud's bullshit tough guy act when he gives the key to the old man so he can visit his wife's grave again. Cloud isn't really being a dick, he's trying to help but he 100% can't be earnest about caring about people's problems at this point in the story.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
cool game where cloud and barret go from not being able to smash through a door to cutting through buildings within the span of like a day in-universe

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Do you think the next installments will spell out the whole "the Sephiroth you've been chasing since Shinra Headquarters is really just JENOVA that thinks it's Sephiroth" thing or just quietly bury it.

They already made it clear that the Sephiroth is not Sephiroth. It keeps flashing between him and the black robed individual he actually is.

darealkooky posted:

cool game where cloud and barret go from not being able to smash through a door to cutting through buildings within the span of like a day in-universe

This is a really dumb complaint because character power levels shifting suddenly at a heartbeat is commonplace in games (including the original FFVII) and nowhere is that more clear than when they have to find a key for a wooden door or whatever.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I was worried the Honey Bee sequence was going to be either tacky or a gay panic sort of thing, but it was extremely good and the dance was much better than the original.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

darealkooky posted:

Yeah it's super weird. Why didn't Barret try to use his Sattelite beam on the Northern Crater, in fact, is that thing powered by Mako? How does a random terrorist have access to a space laser anyway?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

the fact that you're using a 23 year old game with lego people in it to justify this, as if ironing out those Weird 90's Videogame Things wasn't one of the stated goals behind The Final Fantasy Seven Remake, is pretty odd.

More seriously the direction seems very schizophrenic. We have people so normal looking I wouldn't be surprised if they were made for a different videogame entirely hanging out in the slums that look directly out of brazil - and then a day later advent children 2 happens. These kind of weird inconsistencies are a lot easier to smooth over in your brain when everything looks wacky. We have a Hojo so well modeled I can practically smell the grease on him, but then when he (for some reason) starts dropping late game spoilers too early harry potter ghosts come out of nowhere and crowd surf him away while nobody present seems to be all that concerned about what the gently caress just happened. Sometimes the game is extremely faithful to the original game, and other times it couldn't be more distinct, it feels like different dev teams entirely worked on one part of the game or the other with no smooth transition.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 13, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Is that one of the stated goals of the FFVII Remake

because if so they hosed up bad

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's actually really incredibly easy to smooth over by not caring

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

darealkooky posted:

the fact that you're using a 23 year old game with lego people in it to justify this, as if ironing out those Weird 90's Videogame Things wasn't one of the stated goals behind The Final Fantasy Seven Remake, is pretty odd.

It wasn't? In fact this game is a celebration of all those "Weird 90's Videogame Things"

For fucks sake, every enemy, even the ones that were just dumb polygonal tests, is rendered lovingly and accurately, and you think this game is ashamed of being crazy, campy 90's bullshit? Cloud can still fire out beams of light with his sword. There is a sentinet robot-demon house, and people get hit by swords, and shot with guns and totally live completely fine with no blood or anything. Cloud falls from the sector 5 reactor all the way and crashes through a roof and not only does he live, he doesn't even have any aches or pains.

darealkooky posted:

More seriously the direction seems very schizophrenic. We have people so normal looking I wouldn't be surprised if they were made for a different videogame entirely hanging out in the slums that look directly out of brazil - and then a day later advent children 2 happens. These kind of weird inconsistencies are a lot easier to smooth over in your brain when everything looks wacky. We have a Hojo so well modeled I can practically smell the grease on him, but then when he (for some reason) starts dropping late game spoilers too early harry potter ghosts come out of nowhere and crowd surf him away while nobody present seems to be all that concerned about what the gently caress just happened. Sometimes the game is extremely faithful to the original game, and other times it couldn't be more distinct, it feels like different dev teams entirely worked on one part of the game or the other with no smooth transition.

As opposed to the tonal shift of going from squatting to get a wig so we can crossdress to a mass slaughter to bitching like children because we have to climb 60 flights of stairs, to a genuine horror slaughter leading to a goofy motorcycle chase on a highway that concludes by fighting a thing titled "Motor Ball" Or ya know, a beloved party member being killed, learning how her father was murdered and her mother kidnapped for experiments, followed by goofy Turk stuff and then going snowboarding.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 13, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darealkooky posted:

More seriously the direction seems very schizophrenic. We have people so normal looking I wouldn't be surprised if they were made for a different videogame entirely hanging out in the slums that look directly out of brazil - and then a day later advent children 2 happens. These kind of weird inconsistenies are a lot easier to smooth over in your brain when everything looks wacky.

No, I'm not using a 23 year old game with lego people. I can point to literally every game ever. How many games do you have a rocket launcher and you need to find a key instead of blowing open a wall? Or how many games don't let you step over a five inch piece of rubble to get where you need to go? How many games have your character do something super kickin' rad and then they have to play a level normally?

You have a Persona 4 Avatar and I must question why characters go through dungeons instead of using the literal incarnate god to fly through them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 13, 2020

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

How many games do you have a rocket launcher and you need to find a key instead of blowing open a wall?
Do you really think this is the same thing as being able to slice a building in half but not a door inside that building?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darealkooky posted:

Do you really think this is the same thing as being able to slice a building in half but not a door inside that building?

Yes?

Your complaint is "why do characters not use their power to do something they couldn't do previously or show an inconsistent level of power.." It's nonsensical because it's a part of games. Cloud and friends shrug off bullets in combat and yet treat President Shinra holding a gun on Barret like it actually loving matters. Mortal Kombat characters get their legs broken in three places during X-Ray moves and then get back up and keep fighting like nothing happened.

The answer is "because game power levels are inconsistent and fueled by what feels cool at the moment not what actually is plausible" because it turns out using your rocket launcher to blow up every puzzle would get boring pretty quickly.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Anyway it seems people don't agree so I'll leave it with this instead of dragging out an argument. My point isn't "buh why can barret shoot a laser from his hand but he doesn't just shoot badguys from a distance in the story" or something that pedestrian, I understand that games and jrpgs in particular often have pretty big gaps between gameplay and what logically could make sense in the story in order to make the gameplay more engaging or give you bs objectives.

My point is that I have no reason to get invested in the story in regards to the characters being threatened because sometimes the story treats them like mostly normal people with some magic and an uncanny ability to survive falling off a big cliff, and other times they're superman combined with goku, with seemingly no warning about which is when. How does someone who can cut a building in half get threatened by shinra soldiers with guns, can they also cut buildings in half? How are they going to escalate from here in the later games in the series, will the final fight with Sephiroth in Final Fantasy 7 remake part 3 (due 2030) have his classic supernova attacked blow up entire universes instead?

This is where you can nitpick x y z scenes from the original - but in the original game (if only because of the much lower cutscene budget and grahpical fidelity) the characters behaved with a pretty consistent level of power in the story segments, even if it didn't really match the wacky poo poo they could do in random battles to show off the graphical powers of the then new PS1 hardware.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah agreed, and why don't they just cast Raise on Aerith anyway

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

darealkooky posted:

Anyway it seems people don't agree so I'll leave it with this instead of dragging out an argument.

Followed by a three paragraph parting shot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't think it's a completely unreasonable criticism, but at the same time I think the ending sorta throws physics to the wind in general in a lot of ways and is t necessarily reflective of what the characters can do "for real" in-universe

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darealkooky posted:

Anyway it seems people don't agree so I'll leave it with this instead of dragging out an argument. My point isn't "buh why can barret shoot a laser from his hand but he doesn't just shoot badguys from a distance in the story" or something that pedestrian, I understand that games and jrpgs in particular often have pretty big gaps between gameplay and what logically could make sense in the story in order to make the gameplay more engaging or give you bs objectives.

My point is that I have no reason to get invested in the story in regards to the characters being threatened because sometimes the story treats them like mostly normal people with some magic and an uncanny ability to survive falling off a big cliff, and other times they're superman combined with goku, with seemingly no warning about which is when. How does someone who can cut a building in half get threatened by shinra soldiers with guns, can they also cut buildings in half? How are they going to escalate from here in the later games in the series, will the final fight with Sephiroth in Final Fantasy 7 remake part 3 (due 2030) have his classic supernova attacked blow up entire universes instead?

This is where you can nitpick x y z scenes from the original - but in the original game (if only because of the much lower cutscene budget and grahpical fidelity) the characters behaved with a pretty consistent level of power in the story segments, even if it didn't really match the wacky poo poo they could do in random battles to show off the graphical powers of the then new PS1 hardware.

And my point is that you are still making genuinely zero sense because that is true of almost every game on the market. Are you taken out of The Last of Us because Joel can survive getting shot, stabbed, and set on fire and keep going but then the game treats him being shot once as a serious thing? In Doom Eternal your character can survive being launched like a missile into the side of a building by a literal cannon but dies if a monster bites him too many times. Not to mention the billion games which ask you to treat generic mooks as a threat in-story even though you could probably reliable murder them all if you got the chance.

FF7 didn't particularly have consistent power level either. It really can't when the protagonist is attempting to portray himself as a literal super soldier and his teammates are "incredibly good at kung--fu girl" "Man with a literal gun for an arm" "Flower Girl" "Talking dog" "Teenage ninja" "Weird vampire experiment" and "schlubby dude in his mid-30s" and they're all treated as equally dangerous.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The combat in this game is a hell of a lot of fun, to the extent that I look forward to fights and getting new equipment/materia. It's so much better than FF15's attempt to do an action-RPG sort of thing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

The combat in this game is a hell of a lot of fun, to the extent that I look forward to fights and getting new equipment/materia. It's so much better than FF15's attempt to do an action-RPG sort of thing.

This game had the KH2 combat director and it implements a lot of the combat stuff that Nomura was talking about desiring back in Versus XIII. This is from... 2011...

quote:

* The game will have positional damage elements for attacking enemies.
* Larger enemies will have weak points.
* The game does not have team attacks for your party members. Repeat: does not.
* You can combo your attacks across character changes -- that is, you can keep your combo going when you switch the character you're currently controlling. As an example, you can make the scarfaced character do positional damage with his hammer, then switch to Ignis, or you can make the enemy shrink away in fear from Ignis's magic then call in another character to attack.

From a Famitsu article.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Pressing a button for every individual attack is just so much better kinesthetically than holding the button to attack.

Also Attaching item use to atb like everything else was a brilliant way to solve the “spam potions to win” problem FFXV had.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Just beat the game, man there was a hell of a gulf between what I was expecting on the onset and what I got by the end. I know it's a remake but it also seems like some sort of time-looped direct sequel too, seeing as how Aerith, Sephiroth, Red, and Cloud (in flashes) are aware of the future and the meta-narrative. I figured out that the Whispers were arbiters of fate right around the time they winged Jessie so that they had to take Cloud and every time they showed up afterward was because everyone was too competent for their own good. I was expecting at that point for the Wispers to be a thing through the series and they become the primary antagonist of game 2, I was *not* expecting destiny itself to be the final boss of this game. I'm really interested to see where they take the story from here because it's basically off-rails now. Apparently Zack is still alive, somewhere, and I'd guess the meta-mystery will be where he's at and why he hasn't shown up. and how Aerith will respond to that because she also seems aware of that fact as well.

If I had to guess the direction we go in the second game Zack pulls himself out of whatever hole he was recovering in, possibly aided by Biggs and Wedge, and starts tracking Cloud and the gang. I'd love to see the three of them teamed up in their own side scenarios just behind the Scooby Gang. Game 2 runs to the City of the Ancients and Zack saves Aerith and gets killed by Sephiroth in her place and then poo poo gets really off the rails.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 13, 2020

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

DeathSandwich posted:

Just beat the game, man there was a hell of a gulf between what I was expecting on the onset and what I got by the end. I know it's a remake but it also seems like some sort of time-looped direct sequel too, seeing as how Aerith, Sephiroth, Red, and Cloud (in flashes) are aware of the future and the meta-narrative. I figured out that the Whispers were arbiters of fate right around the time they winged Jessie so that they had to take Cloud and every time they showed up afterward was because everyone was too competent for their own good. I was expecting at that point for the Wispers to be a thing through the series and they become the primary antagonist of game 2, I was *not* expecting destiny itself to be the final boss of this game. I'm really interested to see where they take the story from here because it's basically off-rails now. Apparently Zack is still alive, somewhere, and I'd guess the meta-mystery will be where he's at and why he hasn't shown up. and how Aerith will respond to that because she also seems aware of that fact as well.

If I had to guess the direction we go in the second game Zack pulls himself out of whatever hole he was recovering in, possibly aided by Biggs and Wedge, and starts tracking Cloud and the gang. I'd love to see the three of them teamed up in their own side scenarios just behind the Scooby Gang. Game 2 runs to the City of the Ancients and Zack saves Aerith and gets killed by Sephiroth in her place and then poo poo gets really off the rails.

My take is that Zack is alive in an alternate timeline, since you get to see Stamp during the ending and it's completely different from the dog we see throughout the game. Perhaps this is what Sephiroth really wanted. With Zack alive in an alternate timeline poo poo can really go off the rails this time, maybe resulting in an even bigger tragedy. Kinda like with Chrono Cross and Serge, where the timeline where he lives is the one that gets destroyed by Lavos and the other where he is dead this doesn't happen. Maybe, who knows.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
have you ever thought of the possibility of having to fight 13 sephiroths at the same time

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Lessail posted:

have you ever thought of the possibility of having to fight 13 sephiroths at the same time
Sephiroth later reveals that he murdered all his alternate timeline counterparts and absorbed their power, having gotten inspiration from the scientific documentary film "The One".

Edit: FF7RE 2nd Chapter: Crisis on Infinite Bishies

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

Actually having recently played it, he remembers facing down Sephiroth but says he doesn't recall what happened and that by all rights he should have lost as Seph was way stronger than him.

I guess it's sort of implicit that Cloud won, even though the story is unbelievable (and everyone in the game knows it), because Cloud is alive and Sephiroth has been missing and presumed dead ever since

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I just beat hell house, i feel like i need a cigarette. I noticed the whole elemental thing but is there something to remove the drat shield in phase 3 besides cloud smashing through it? fight took forever

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Okay I just beat the game and haven't read any of this thread yet, but I feel like this entire game is someone's extremely convoluted and high-budget way of reviving Aeris/th. My hat's off to the demented superfan who decided that if the urban legends weren't real, he'd make them real.

Edit: Although if the whole theme was fighting the destiny of how the game was "supposed" to go, then I am extremely disappointed that they didn't just throw Yuffie in here because why not? Seriously, why shouldn't Yuffie have been hanging around in Midgar doing dumb stuff to get materia?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 13, 2020

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

darealkooky posted:

How are they going to escalate from here in the later games in the series, will the final fight with Sephiroth in Final Fantasy 7 remake part 3 (due 2030) have his classic supernova attacked blow up entire universes instead?

isn't this exactly what supernova did in the first place

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Clarste posted:

Okay I just beat the game and haven't read any of this thread yet, but I feel like this entire game is someone's extremely convoluted and high-budget way of reviving Aeris/th. My hat's off to the demented superfan who decided that if the urban legends weren't real, he'd make them real.

Edit: Although if the whole theme was fighting the destiny of how the game was "supposed" to go, then I am extremely disappointed that they didn't just throw Yuffie in here because why not? Seriously, why shouldn't Yuffie have been hanging around in Midgar doing dumb stuff to get materia?

Its the spoiler thread but ill still put spoiler tags

what about the avalanche survivors who were supposed to die? and it seems like Jessie lives since her gloves are shown at the ending where biggs is recovering

it reminds me of that article talking about the meta of MGS1 and MGS2. How everyone expected to play solid snake in MGS2 when it was just a "remake" of MGS1 but with a meta twist.

Seems like square enix is doing the same

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Clarste posted:

I think we're all overlooking a incredibly juicy possibility here. The game essentially saying screw destiny means it opens itself up to being a multiple choice for your actions sorta game. I mean with all the time and care they put into putting out these episodes the possibility of getting wildly diverging story beats for making different choices suddenly opens itself up. And I'm so here for where they go with that because there's a lot of characters I wish had more development/screen time and I feel like they're about to offer me everything I've ever wanted.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Further thoughts: my acting assumption at the moment is that Jenova/Sephiroth is trying to pull a Chrono Cross and creating a new timeline where it has a chance to survive.

Also, they should've called the big Whisper the Obsidian Weapon or something since it serves more or less the same role as a Weapon (giant monster acting on will of the Planet) with only a little more mystical mumbo-jumbo sprinkled on top. This wouldn't have changed anything BUT it would've made fans like me shiver in delight for a moment.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 13, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rabid Snake posted:

I just beat hell house, i feel like i need a cigarette. I noticed the whole elemental thing but is there something to remove the drat shield in phase 3 besides cloud smashing through it? fight took forever

I feel like almost everyone has agreed that fight is a pain.

Also, I could never figure out the Rufus fight, what move are you supposed to use on him and when, because I ended up just slowly chipping away and healing until I just Limited him, and then did it again.

Also, my dumb VA re-casting highlights:

-Reeve is now hot
-Barret is goofy, but grows on you
-Red has a good voice, I'm looking forward to him being playable in the next game
-Rufus was unexpected? But.. good?
-Zack what did they do to you my baby

Also I got confused, does Wedge re-die.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I feel like almost everyone has agreed that fight is a pain.

Also, I could never figure out the Rufus fight, what move are you supposed to use on him and when, because I ended up just slowly chipping away and healing until I just Limited him, and then did it again.

Also, my dumb VA re-casting highlights:

-Reeve is now hot
-Barret is goofy, but grows on you
-Red has a good voice, I'm looking forward to him being playable in the next game
-Rufus was unexpected? But.. good?
-Zack what did they do to you my baby

Also I got confused, does Wedge re-die.

No idea on Wedge. Honestly, No idea on Jessie! Even though she has an obvious death scene, in the ending, where we see Biggs start to wake up, on the table next to his bandana is Jessie's gauntlet.