Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Libertad! posted:

But my biggest snag was Stars Without Number: Revised Edition.

In addition to the rules and content generators, stars without number has some really good adventures. I pillaged a bunch of the harder sf ones to use in a pbta space game I ran (hack of Impulse Drive which is an excellent rule set if you don't mind pbta, incidentally).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I've put full details in the game-writing thread, but thought it might be of interest to goons here too: I finally finished my B/X retroclone You All Meet In A Tavern! It only took several years and a worldwide plague, but now it's done. I also wrote an introductory adventure to go with it.

Here's the link to the PDFs of the rules and adventure. Comments welcome!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Payndz posted:

I've put full details in the game-writing thread, but thought it might be of interest to goons here too: I finally finished my B/X retroclone You All Meet In A Tavern! It only took several years and a worldwide plague, but now it's done. I also wrote an introductory adventure to go with it.

Anything about it that makes it stand out from the crowd?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

drrockso20 posted:

Anything about it that makes it stand out from the crowd?
Enormously faster combat (no to-hit rolls) and character creation, all classes get some kind of special abilities, no equipment (characters are assumed to have normal stuff they need for the adventure, plus a one-shot "rabbit from a hat" for more unusual items), designed entirely for single-session play, no character advancement or XP for that reason, smaller lists of spells that scale by player tier rather than dozens of new ones becoming available at higher levels, if a character dies their replacement catches up with them from the tavern as soon as the player creates them, and a bunch of other stuff. But it's still compatible with B/X (and probably BECMI and 1e) with a very small amount of conversion work.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Payndz posted:

Enormously faster combat (no to-hit rolls) and character creation, all classes get some kind of special abilities, no equipment (characters are assumed to have normal stuff they need for the adventure, plus a one-shot "rabbit from a hat" for more unusual items), designed entirely for single-session play, no character advancement or XP for that reason, smaller lists of spells that scale by player tier rather than dozens of new ones becoming available at higher levels, if a character dies their replacement catches up with them from the tavern as soon as the player creates them, and a bunch of other stuff. But it's still compatible with B/X (and probably BECMI and 1e) with a very small amount of conversion work.

This sounds fuckin killer. When's the Kickstarter?

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Payndz posted:

I like this a lot. I haven't read all of it but I went straight to the combat section. No to-hit rolls piqued my interest since I was running Knave a few days ago and thinking how, despite the game being so much lighter overall than B/X, the combat STILL takes too loving long...

The Melee/Support/Intercept system seems really clever. A nice way to give some positioning tactics without having to break out the battlemat, and it probably corresponds closely to how most players visualise a battle scene. It would be easier to understand if you put all the rules for those systems together in one place - right now they seem a bit scattered through the combat section.

The no hit rolls combat is good. Sort of like Into the Odd, except that Into the Odd has armour as damage reduction, so it still possible to have some attacks that do nothing. Your way makes sure that every attack advances the game state.

I was confused by this passage:

quote:

In an attack, the player rolls their Damage Die, which at Explorer tier range from a d4 for Sorcerers up to a d10 for Warriors. The larger the die, the more damage can be inflicted! The result is the number of Hit Points deducted from the target; if the roll exceeds the target’s AC, the player’s Damage Bonus is also added.
For example: a Warrior with a Damage Bonus of +3 attacks an enemy of AC 6. The Warrior rolls the d20, the result being 6: because this does not exceed the enemy’s AC, they do not add their Damage Bonus and inflict six points of damage. If they had rolled 7, beating the target’s AC, they would have delivered seven points of damage plus their Damage Bonus, for a total of 10 HP.
Is "d20" a typo?

Last comment... I would really recommend cutting every line that begins "unlike in other editions of the original game..." People who know D&D will recognise the changes you've made, people who don't know probably won't care. Plus, throwing shade on other games just isn't classy even if they deserve it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Sailor Viy posted:

Is "d20" a typo?

Last comment... I would really recommend cutting every line that begins "unlike in other editions of the original game..." People who know D&D will recognise the changes you've made, people who don't know probably won't care. Plus, throwing shade on other games just isn't classy even if they deserve it.
Oops, yes - my bad! I'll fix it. Thanks for the comments; glad you're liking it so far. I'll take your note about shade aboard as well.

If I get good feedback on YAMIAT, my plan is to put together a properly laid-out PDF with some artwork (free 30-day demo of Quark Xpress, here I come!). That'll probably take a while to come about, though.

I'm also now coming up with ways to adapt YAMIAT for a sci-fi/horror game, again designed around one-shot play. Explore creepy alien derelicts and bases to loot them for their advanced technology, while trying not to be killed by whatever unknowable horrors lurk within - that kind of thing. The same kind of scary atmosphere as Alien/Aliens, Event Horizon, The Thing, Dead Space, the non-stupid parts of Prometheus, etc, so I'll be dialling the humour way down! Melee/Support/Intercept will become Frontline/Support/Intercept, and firefights have a chance of causing collateral damage to the stuff you want to loot or the ship itself, but the combat system will probably be much the same. It'll also have an actual background setting rather than "today, you're in Fantasy Egypt!"

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Has anybody been in contact with exalted funeral? I messaged them on Kickstarter when it became obvious covid was going to delay shipment of UVG, as I'm moving soon. I haven't gotten any response from them and was just wondering if anyone knows a better way to reach them or if they're doing ok.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

andrew smash posted:

Has anybody been in contact with exalted funeral? I messaged them on Kickstarter when it became obvious covid was going to delay shipment of UVG, as I'm moving soon. I haven't gotten any response from them and was just wondering if anyone knows a better way to reach them or if they're doing ok.

Exalted Funeral is doing fine. They’ve been busy and shipping is obviously a mess because of the coronavirus, but they’re okay.

They sent out an update message today, and in it was this update about UVG shipping: WHERE IS UVG... WAIT WHERE IS EVERYTHING
So as you have seen everything has been a tad bit more difficult the ongoing pandemic. Thank you for the support and patience. We got hit with another two week quarantine so the slowness is to be expected. BUT WE HAVE PLANS. check below on your project(s) funded or awaiting arrival for the shortened version here. On the the projects page we should have longer more detailed info.

UVG: So for UVG we will be shipping these in waves. First will be the Voidwalker Funeral Editions. After that other pledges will be done in chunks so watch out for the tracking info.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I regret not getting the special cover edition a little more every day.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Arivia posted:

Exalted Funeral is doing fine. They’ve been busy and shipping is obviously a mess because of the coronavirus, but they’re okay.

They sent out an update message today, and in it was this update about UVG shipping: WHERE IS UVG... WAIT WHERE IS EVERYTHING
So as you have seen everything has been a tad bit more difficult the ongoing pandemic. Thank you for the support and patience. We got hit with another two week quarantine so the slowness is to be expected. BUT WE HAVE PLANS. check below on your project(s) funded or awaiting arrival for the shortened version here. On the the projects page we should have longer more detailed info.

UVG: So for UVG we will be shipping these in waves. First will be the Voidwalker Funeral Editions. After that other pledges will be done in chunks so watch out for the tracking info.

Interesting, i didn't get anything from them today. I really need to change my shipping address but like I said, i've been trying to reach them for a while and haven't succeeded.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

andrew smash posted:

Interesting, i didn't get anything from them today. I really need to change my shipping address but like I said, i've been trying to reach them for a while and haven't succeeded.
They did say something like "if you've sent us address changes, we got them, even if we haven't responded". That.....wouldn't exactly comfort me, but they said it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

andrew smash posted:

This wasn’t a message sent out to Kickstarter backers (I’ve never kickstarted anything), this was just the general store customer mailing list.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They did say something like "if you've sent us address changes, we got them, even if we haven't responded". That.....wouldn't exactly comfort me, but they said it.

What the hell happened to your avatar?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm reading my copy of D&D Basic red box set, and I would like to read as many examples possible of other peoples idea for the 2nd and 3rd level of the dungeon. They must exist somewhere...but I fail my roll at googling them. Can anyone point me in the direction of one or more

Edit- I found a lot of B/E and other stuff when I looked for Castle Mistamere.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 20, 2020

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Wolves of God, Kevin Crawford's latest book, just came out today.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Arivia posted:

This is incorrect, FYI. One of the big things Raggi also does is extremely generous, good terms for designers, with them keeping their own ownership to their work; you then have a good variety of designers who have done a lot of different products over the years for LotFP. For example there's a great guide to fantastic wizards + their demesnes written by Vincent Baker that's mostly rules-agnostic.
Bolded part of this has aged poorly.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Did something happen on that front? I don't really follow OSR creator drama, but I know "good terms given to designers" was the big thing they always credited him with

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

SlimGoodbody posted:

Did something happen on that front? I don't really follow OSR creator drama, but I know "good terms given to designers" was the big thing they always credited him with
Apparently Zak S posted that Raggi was too low on funds to pay him and other LotFP adventure writers their full cut this month. I googled "lotfp" and found this thread:

https://twitter.com/LotFP/status/1252332424987463685?s=20

So yeah, it's possible LotFP is insolvent and people are getting stiffed as a result. I'd wait for someone who isn't Zak to confirm, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Comstar posted:

I'm reading my copy of D&D Basic red box set, and I would like to read as many examples possible of other peoples idea for the 2nd and 3rd level of the dungeon. They must exist somewhere...but I fail my roll at googling them. Can anyone point me in the direction of one or more

I mentioned before I got a sweet collection of D&D box sets from the 80s and the basic set had some sweet maps in it. Unfortunately there were incomplete keys but they may be in the other boxes I haven't combed through yet.

So here are some of the maps from little Stewie (name altered to protect his identity), New Jersey resident, age 11-14, grade 0-8 according to his filled out survey card. He owns the Basic and Expert set, the original Dungeon! board game, and some player aids. This was all likely a 1982 Christmas gift, both sets purchased together for $14 bucks at Toys R Us (does this seem low???).

There are a few cultural artifacts here: a little slip of paper where Stewie and his friend Derick competed in a Pitfall competition on 12/28/1982. Stewie came in second with 48,472 points and 5 minutes left and Derick 48,672 points with 7 minutes left (the goal of Pitfall is to collect 114,000 points of treasure in 20 minutes but contact with certain obstacles deducts points). My favorite non-gaming piece of memorabilia is a handwritten note to Stewie's mom asking her to call into the local radio station to find out what time the radio drama of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back will be airing.

All the juicy bits are character sheets and stuff so one of these days I'm going to scan those, edit out the names, and post them because it's a treasure trove of how people really played D&D back in the day.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

lmao I drew so many of these as a kid. different symbols, same lack of hex paper and complete disregard for geography

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I would enjoy a boxed set game where the premise is that you're getting someone's homebrew campaign to boot, with notes in the margins and the party as sample PCs and so on. Especially with some metafiction to the effect that the game became real life or vice versa, a la Die. The people who came to D&D via Adventure Time and Stranger Things would appreciate it, I think.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

al-azad posted:

I mentioned before I got a sweet collection of D&D box sets from the 80s and the basic set had some sweet maps in it. Unfortunately there were incomplete keys but they may be in the other boxes I haven't combed through yet.

So here are some of the maps from little Stewie (name altered to protect his identity), New Jersey resident, age 11-14, grade 0-8 according to his filled out survey card. He owns the Basic and Expert set, the original Dungeon! board game, and some player aids. This was all likely a 1982 Christmas gift, both sets purchased together for $14 bucks at Toys R Us (does this seem low???).

There are a few cultural artifacts here: a little slip of paper where Stewie and his friend Derick competed in a Pitfall competition on 12/28/1982. Stewie came in second with 48,472 points and 5 minutes left and Derick 48,672 points with 7 minutes left (the goal of Pitfall is to collect 114,000 points of treasure in 20 minutes but contact with certain obstacles deducts points). My favorite non-gaming piece of memorabilia is a handwritten note to Stewie's mom asking her to call into the local radio station to find out what time the radio drama of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back will be airing.

All the juicy bits are character sheets and stuff so one of these days I'm going to scan those, edit out the names, and post them because it's a treasure trove of how people really played D&D back in the day.

A private pitfall competition or some sort of public contest? Pitfall was an activision game, so I think you could send in for the patch if you got a score of 40000 or better.

More on topic, on old maps I always see people make these maze areas. How the hell did they run those? Seems like it would be tedious.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm guessing it was private as it only lists the names of their friends.

As for mazes, the one time I ran one I drew a bunch of corridors on index cards and arranged them on the table. But to heighten tension (and because I only drew like 8 tiles) I removed the pieces when they turned corners so one player had to draw a map for areas they already explored. It was absolutely tedious for me as DM but everyone thought it was tense and neat especially when I described the directions monster sounds were coming from and they were able to Pacman their way through the maze. I didn't cheat the monster movement either and I made sure to reward the players who laid traps and diversions. Probably the only time in the history of D&D where a ranger got to be more than a two-weapon fighter.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I would enjoy a boxed set game where the premise is that you're getting someone's homebrew campaign to boot, with notes in the margins and the party as sample PCs and so on. Especially with some metafiction to the effect that the game became real life or vice versa, a la Die. The people who came to D&D via Adventure Time and Stranger Things would appreciate it, I think.

I just read Die and LOVED it, so I am very into your idea. Has anyone played the RPG that was designed by the writer as a companion to the series?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

al-azad posted:

This is FANTASTIC. :allears: Please post more uncovered gems.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Halloween Jack posted:

If any theatre companies around you (or around the world!) have virtual seasons going on, try seeing She Kills Monsters.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

al-azad posted:

Relatedly, there’s “The Habitition of the Stone Giant Lord” (sic), which I have but haven’t read through yet. The associated Archive might be a place to send copies of the maps, or even the originals. I don’t know anything about them otherwise though.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Comstar posted:

A friend's dad still has his pamphlet D&D stuff with notes and hand drawn graph paper maps. I may ask him to scan it if convenient.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

al-azad posted:

He owns the Basic and Expert set, the original Dungeon! board game, and some player aids. This was all likely a 1982 Christmas gift, both sets purchased together for $14 bucks at Toys R Us (does this seem low???).
That's about $38 in today's money.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

mango sentinel posted:

A friend's dad still has his pamphlet D&D stuff with notes and hand drawn graph paper maps. I may ask him to scan it if convenient.

I actually found my old ones. Started as D&D basic set, changed at some point to AD&D 2nd ed. I don't have the room keys any more, but I can still remember some of them...30 or so years ago.

The map symbols in the Basic D&D boxed set fired my imagination. It's a disgrace that later D&D books didn't include something like it.

Here is my version of castle D&D Basic edition.

I have 2 secret entrances/exits and there's ruined buildings/stables in front. Something I think the original was sadly lacking in.

Here's my 3rd level of the D&D Basic dungeon.

Partly based on a bad map of The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Room 8 is a prison. Room 12 has a small box with a tiny snake in it. Area 28 had giant toadstools. Bargle was in room 37 in the bottom right corner, with an escape route to a dragon cavern. I never understood at the time why a game called Dungeons & Dragons, did not automatically HAVE a Dragon in it's Dungeon (though it is suggested).

Random dungeon, never used.

An old dwarf mine, ripped off from Mine of Torments.

Around this time I started DMing AD&D. You will probably guess the basis of this map.

I always thought the original was too split up so made it possible to move between them. Lots of undead of course.

The campaign area. Bonus points if you can name the paint program. Some of the names are from Fighting Fantasy.

After completing then Basic D&D dungeon the party travelled down the road from Starter town.

The world map. Based very clearly on a (what I look back at now, a very bad) book series I was reading at the time. I stopped caring when the most powerful wizard in the universe, launched his best spell at an invasion. It was a fireball. Which bounces back on him because he's an idiot.. But back then it gave a big impression on me. More location names from Allensia.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 23, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hmmmmm that’s some PCPaint goodness. I would design characters and monsters using Funny Face.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

al-azad posted:

Hmmmmm that’s some PCPaint goodness. I would design characters and monsters using Funny Face.

You failed the trap detection and take 1d6 hp. Mac Paint.

This has all got me trying to get MY WIFE to play a game. Might as well start at the basics. D&D basic boxed set. She wants to play a halfling, which is good because I happen to have that GAZ book.

I'm waiting on the Cyclopedia to arrive and have a small collection of OD&D books (GAZ1, the dwarf one too and some of the adventures) Now that I can buy some online, any suggestions on what ones to get or use? This is all going to be 1 player and 1 GM, at least for a couple of years until my 2 year old is old enough to be drafted in. I know I'm going to have to modify a lot for 1 player (beyond that one 1-1 adventure TSR brought out) but that's going to be part of the fun.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 23, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Did Mac Paint just hire the dude who made PCPaint because they literally have the exact same fill textures.

E: you can’t really copyright half-tones and dithering but the fish scales was always a classic dos paint texture for me.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Comstar posted:

You failed the trap detection and take 1d6 hp. Mac Paint.

This has all got me trying to get MY WIFE to play a game. Might as well start at the basics. D&D basic boxed set. She wants to play a halfling, which is good because I happen to have that GAZ book.

I'm waiting on the Cyclopedia to arrive and have a small collection of OD&D books (GAZ1, the dwarf one too and some of the adventures) Now that I can buy some online, any suggestions on what ones to get or use? This is all going to be 1 player and 1 GM, at least for a couple of years until my 2 year old is old enough to be drafted in. I know I'm going to have to modify a lot for 1 player (beyond that one 1-1 adventure TSR brought out) but that's going to be part of the fun.

You can look at Scarlet Heroes, which ostensibly gives options and conversions to allow for a single character to do adventure modules designed for a full party. There's also Godbound, which may alter things more than you're interested in, but is a unique modification that turns your hero into a demigod with words of power.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Everyone should continue to post their old campaign stuff, it's really awesome to see actual played materials like that.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

SlimGoodbody posted:

You can look at Scarlet Heroes, which ostensibly gives options and conversions to allow for a single character to do adventure modules designed for a full party.

Scarlet heroes looks exactly what I need. Anyone had any experience with it?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Comstar posted:

I've used the fray dice and damage rules before and they're pretty nice! I had two players so they got to fight these big crowds but it was pretty smooth.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've used it for solo games it it runs well, also played in a game that used it with 3PCs for a higher powered basic D&D experience.

Here's a write up of character creation and an adventure using the Urban solo adventure framework if you're interested.

https://moggynomates.angrymog.com/tag/scarlet-heroes/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Comstar posted:

The hacks it introduces to buff single D&D heroes work and can probably be bolted on with little issue to most D&D-ish systems, from the OSR system of your choice to 5E.

The one thing I am skeptical about, though, is Mage Users in SH. I tried SH a couple of times with a Fighter and a Rogue (or whatever they're called in SH) and it worked fine but SH's MU at level 1 can still only cast a spell once and then they're just... kinda poo poo and don't have anyone else to pick up the slack.