Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Infinitum posted:

The best. Thank you for posting :allears:

Kinda hoping we get to see this kind of Thor eventually in the MCU.

Considering that Thor 2's halfhearted attempt as "seriousness" was ill-received and how successful Waititi's "nothing matters cause it's for kids" hack humor (married to his truly excellent grasp of character and thematic structure) was, I would be very doubtful we ever get anything close to this beyond what Feige's team mandates Waititi put in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I would disagree, the whole "Are you the God of Hammers?" bit in Ragnarok was more of a move towards this sort of thing.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ragnarok got that Thor is best when he's an outright van art character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LashLightning posted:

I would disagree, the whole "Are you the God of Hammers?" bit in Ragnarok was more of a move towards this sort of thing.

That whole scene is so good.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Have Thor's granddaughters been featured in anything else? They're great, they need their own book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Have Thor's granddaughters been featured in anything else? They're great, they need their own book.

They'll likely be ruined as soon as someone else gets their hands on them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LashLightning posted:

It was good, definitely a showcase that Waititi has a grasp of strong emotional storytelling, but it's not a florid showcase of respect and genuine appreciation for Norse grandeur and mythology like those pages.

Like, I'm not going to say this went over your head...but you're acting like this went over your head-- you did notice that a huge reason Ragnarok works thematically is the filmmaker's naked contempt for Colonialist pomposity right? The whole "Odin literally whitewashed the annals of Asgardian history to ignore the conquering and bloodshed" bit. Making fun of Odin's fake trophies. Destroying Mjolnir and the "God of Hammers" scene you mentioned. Having Asgard itself destroyed because "gently caress it the actual ground isn't worth saving" (on a literal and metatextual level). It's not subtle. It's kind-of the entire throughline that makes the movie work.

That's why I don't think you could expect a moment like that in any Waititi-backed Thor project. He demonstrably doesn't like nor care about that side of the character and Disney is full-bodied in their support of that attitude, especially after Thor: The Dark World and the success of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Push El Burrito posted:

Ragnarok got that Thor is best when he's an outright van art character.

It really did. I don't think such a scene as those pages couldn't be squared with the van rock side, but I don't think we'd ever get one with the current filmmakers.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 7, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don’t know, those pages are about Love and Thunder.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

if you want some authors who really venerate norse mythology, maybe try reading some nazis? I don't get how you're gonna blame the director for the details of a script written for the MCU, nor do I at all understand what you wanted out of that movie besides racism, because you've wheeled in this whole thing about it being anticolonialist as your reason for not liking it

EDIT: alright, I get it, you're super mad

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 7, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LordSaturn posted:

if you want some authors who really venerate norse mythology, maybe try reading some nazis?

well this just went in a fun new direction

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rhyno posted:

well this just went in a fun new direction
Right?

LordSaturn posted:

if you want some authors who really venerate norse mythology, maybe try reading some nazis? I don't get how you're gonna blame the director for the details of a script written for the MCU, nor do I at all understand what you wanted out of that movie besides racism, because you've wheeled in this whole thing about it being anticolonialist as your reason for not liking it
Baby doll, you are so far off the point you don't even know, but just in good faith:

1. I don't like Ragnarok's humor, nor Waititi's humor, but I went far out of my way to pay the movie and filmmaker a genuine and sincere respect for what they do well because I do think Ragnarok is a good movie. If you've already glazed over because I didn't just write "I think Ragnarok is a good movie" then the problem is you.

2. It's not about Norse vs. Anti-Colonialist, it's about the fact that not all artists appreciate, are suited for, nor would elect to utilize various parts of their material.

Tom Hooper was a bad choice to direct a whimsical fantasy movie like Cats because he elects to make all of his projects feel "real" and the final product reflects these choices, very arguably to the movie's detriment. Some have argued that Zack Snyder is ill-suited for mainstream DC projects because of his Randian appreciation and admitted history of coming at the genre as an adolescent who prefered Heavy Metal to conventional books, which is why his movies ended up feeling dour, depressing, and even alienating in all but their very best moments. If Quentin Tarantino ever does manage to get a Star Trek movie made, I 100% do not expect him to discuss treaty agreements between the Romulans and Klingons and 100% expect him to show an Orion Slave Girl's feet in close-up.

Maybe you can find an artist whose sensibilities are so opposite to the material that you can shoot the moon and end up with a vicious satire, but it's only happened once in my lifetime with Starship Troopers and it arguably happens on a smaller scale with Ragnarok--where part of what works is Waititi's team explicitly trashing anything from the first two Thor movies that didn't work-- and a big part of what didn't work was a sincere fondness for Norse Saga "Here be our last stand let us walk with fire and blood in our mouth" stuff.

3. Don't act like screenplays are wholly divorced from the directors. Disney and Marvel Studios are the monolithic entertainment assembly line of the 21st Century, but even there I guarantee Waititi was in meetings and overseeing production at every stage. He didn't show up for pre-production, get handed a shooting script, and say "let's go." You know this. I know this.

The point is I don't see Waititi and his team (you see, ever since auteur theory people often use the director's name as shorthand for the small army of people who make every production happen, including screenwriters) electing to choose a moment where Thor very sincerely proclaims his love for the storms and villagers very sincerely talk about them. It's just not his style, at all. He likes sarcasm and being too-cool-for-school.

But hey I said "appreciation for Norse mythology" and your mind tl;dr-ed to "nazi" so I hope you get that baggage sorted.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 7, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

the monkey paw curls and cates will now use them in a 20 issue series with knull

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

the monkey paw curls and cates will now use them in a 20 issue series with knull

i'll never forgive you if this happens

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

mind the walrus posted:

Right?

Baby doll,

It’s weird how you typed so many words after this as if anyone would keep reading beyond it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

mind the walrus posted:

Like, I'm not going to say this went over your head...but you're acting like this went over your head-- you did notice that a huge reason Ragnarok works thematically is the filmmaker's naked contempt for Colonialist pomposity right?

mind the walrus posted:

Baby doll, you are so far off the point you don't even know, but just in good faith:

Dial down the condescension by like 90%, for god's sake you cannot just roll in and call other posters "baby doll" because you think you're more correct than them.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

How Wonderful! posted:

Dial down the condescension by like 90%, for god's sake you cannot just roll in and call other posters "baby doll" because you think you're more correct than them.

LordSaturn posted:

EDIT: alright, I get it, you're super mad

is an extremely bad post though

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

is an extremely bad post though

mind the walrus is an extremely bad poster though

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

ah, tricky

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ariong posted:

It’s weird how you typed so many words after this as if anyone would keep reading beyond it.

Right after that he said he doesn’t like Taika’s humor. That’s where I stopped reading.

I will not take lightly any insults about the guy who made Jojo Rabbit.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Open Marriage Night posted:

Right after that he said he doesn’t like Taika’s humor. That’s where I stopped reading.

I will not take lightly any insults about the guy who made Jojo Rabbit.

Admittedly I haven't seen JoJo Rabbit yet (between the criticism of the film that I have read and just having finished some very heavy reading about the Holocaust seeing the movie that the AV Club compared to Life is Beautiful didn't really appeal to me) but I would say What We Do in Shadows best exemplifies Taika's humour.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

site posted:

As a Swede this sentence is hilarious and so wrong at the same time.

If there was ever a Spawn/Guardians of the Galaxy crossover movie I'd be thrown out of the cinema for laughing uproariously whenever his name is mentioned.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Madkal posted:

Admittedly I haven't seen JoJo Rabbit yet (between the criticism of the film that I have read and just having finished some very heavy reading about the Holocaust seeing the movie that the AV Club compared to Life is Beautiful didn't really appeal to me) but I would say What We Do in Shadows best exemplifies Taika's humour.

The movie is so consistently funny that it really earns your attention with the more emotional beats. It’s a really satisfying watch.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

As a Swede this sentence is hilarious and so wrong at the same time.

If there was ever a Spawn/Guardians of the Galaxy crossover movie I'd be thrown out of the cinema for laughing uproariously whenever his name is mentioned.

Make him a communist, aka Comrade Knull, and I'll be right there with you laughing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Knull sucks so bad that his existence made Wraith reappear in Marvel comics.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Knull's design kills me because it looks so much like the (as far as I know) universally maligned Dracula redesign from the mid-aughts. Who likes this fit, like, who's clamoring for more dudes that look like this? The only example I can think of of a character pulling it off is a relatively minor Final Fantasy badguy who at least has the excuse of being an MMO character so there's precedent for him being 60% pauldron by volume.

Like, choose your loving fighter, or don't, please don't.

Edit:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Its true, the Emperor of Garlemald has a very dumb design. Especially his hat.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Its true, the Emperor of Garlemald has a very dumb design. Especially his hat.

It's even better on his grandfather - same ridiculous armor on a tiny old man.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
He has the huge fuckin' beard a dwarf would be proud of to accentuate it, though. Grandpa there actually looks intimidating. Varis does not.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Just part of why Solus is the best of the Galvus dynasty.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Great now I want a what we do in the shadows book but it's about a symbiote documentary instead of vampires.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Great now I want a what we do in the shadows book but it's about a symbiote documentary instead of vampires.

Venom, Carnage, Riot, and Spider-Man all living in a house together.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Push El Burrito posted:

Venom, Carnage, Riot, and Toxin all living in Spider-Man together.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Push El Burrito posted:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Verant posted:

It's even better on his grandfather - same ridiculous armor on a tiny old man.

He's got the body-width to pull it off, while the other guy looks thinner than one of his shoulderpads.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The other guy is quite literally 9 feet tall and nearly as wide as two normal sized people. Garleans big.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Test Pattern posted:

Venom, Carnage, Riot, and Toxin all living in Spider-Man together.

There's a cute kids comic where Venom and Spidey are room mates. Body dealing hijinks is the first arc.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I for one want a story that truly grasps the grandiose seriousness of Norse mythology, perhaps by adapting the story where Thor dresses up as a hot woman for a fake marriage and beats up giants to get his hammer back or the story where Loki fucks a horse.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Azubah posted:

There's a cute kids comic where Venom and Spidey are room mates. Body dealing hijinks is the first arc.

For anyone who cares, it was a small webcomic published on Live Journal (a million years ago) called Loli Loves Venom (yes, that was its name, but it was wholesome) and it was the creation of now industry veteran Joana Lafuente (amazing colorist, and artist). Can only be found in Web Archive these days.

Obviously, amateurish by professional standards, but it was a cute thing from way back when people made webcomics for fun.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 20, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Catfishenfuego posted:

I for one want a story that truly grasps the grandiose seriousness of Norse mythology, perhaps by adapting the story where Thor dresses up as a hot woman for a fake marriage and beats up giants to get his hammer back or the story where Loki fucks a horse.

Dark Horse is supposed to be putting out a comic version of Gaiman's Norse Mythology book which has those stories in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Dark Horse is supposed to be putting out a comic version of Gaiman's Norse Mythology book which has those stories in it.

The Danish Valhalla comic also gets into those (judging by the wikipedia article about it, since I've never read a one of 'em), as well as Thor and Loki at Utgard-Loki's castle, which is probably my favorite Thor tale I've heard so far.

That's the one where giants troll Thor into drinking the sea and lifting Jormungandr, but poo poo their pants when he almost sort of does it

Spoilering because while yes it's an ancient myth, but it's fun if you're hearing it for the first time