Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

I'm a semi-rural teacher in a district that's been desperate for manpower for almost a decade, so I have extreme job security even in the event of a bad recession, my pay's been guaranteed to the end of the school year, new contracts for next year with the last of a series of state-mandated pay raises go out in a couple of weeks, and I have a big chunk of savings because I've been enduring living with my parents since I got the job three years ago. The amount of luck I've been blessed with economically in this mess is kind of astounding. I paid it forward by loaning a friend 1200 bucks last week because she was three months behind on her mortgage. I'm really worried about what might happen to some of the families of my students in the coming years though.

I am actually in a very similar boat. Rural-ish school, we are doing enough digital learning that we are getting our full pay, contract signed and accepted for next year.

I know a few of my homeroom students got backpacks of food sent with them every weekend to help keep them fed. I know that 80% of my homeroom was on free lunch for income related reasons. It sucks I won’t get to say goodbye to them in person, and I really worry about them getting enough to eat pretty much daily. My district has really stepped up on lunch deliveries to help the hourly staff get paid and make sure kids get food. The fact we have means testing for freaking food (or seriously any social safety net) is abhorrent and the fact that we consistently do the most at cutting those nets instead of giving folks a leg up and fighting chance just blows my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Jezebel posted:

Can someone de-paywall this for me (or link a different good article about the topic)? For once I've used up my free credits cuz of actually reading articles during this time, and all the tricks I used to know don't work anymore.

Add a period after the .com.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Does anyone know what caused Trump to poo poo on Fox News and pimp OAN lately? Because Fox has been the single most important propaganda outlet propping him up through all this.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Jezebel posted:

Can someone de-paywall this for me (or link a different good article about the topic)? For once I've used up my free credits cuz of actually reading articles during this time, and all the tricks I used to know don't work anymore.

Put a period after com in the URL and it goes away

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

mistaya posted:

Who maintains the current zip code system? Like if a new property is built, how are they given an address without the US postal service?

Just because the USPS wouldn't exist doesn't mean the feds wouldn't issue a zip code because with or without a postal service, they are just as dependent on the current system as everyone else

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

There Bias Two posted:

Put a period after com in the URL and it goes away

I was trying the period in the wrong place. :doh: Thanks!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Re: long-term effects of this virus: I'm really, really worried about the economic fallout from this. Ignoring the fact that some parts of the country will "open" way too early & cause a second wave of the pandemic, the lingering issue when it's all said & done is going to be the unemployment. With loving MILLIONS out of a job right now, there's no way there's going to be a vacuum effect when things return to normal where everyone (me included) are gonna' find themselves back at their old jobs. Too many business' are currently losing their shirts & the uncertainty that will exist later this year isn't gonna' give an impetus for all of them to reopen. Hell, many won't ever open again.

No matter what the lords of capital suggest, there's gonna' be a lingering unemployment issue nationally & the governments (both state & federal) probably won't give a poo poo. No extension of benefits, no programs to ease the strain of all this happening.

gently caress this goddamn country up its stupid rear end.

Michigan extended their UE payouts to 39 weeks. And per their website those that qualify (me being one of them) get a $600 a week additional payout till July. So that's plenty of time to bank some money should things really go tits up. So I won't exactly be livin' with lobster and caviar, but I'll be able to live a lot longer than under the standard system

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Jezebel posted:

Put a . after the .com (like nytimes.com./blahblah)

beaten

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Robviously posted:

I'm a USPS employee and this is incorrect.

The USPS is fully self-funded due to republican bullshit and we run using only the money we get from postage to do the work day in and day out. The "help" we get occasionally is a line of credit that is expected to be paid unlike every other corporate bailout that comes down the pipelines. If not for the prefunding of tensions and benefits for every employee that gets hired, the Post Office would be much much closer to running in the black. We get something stupid like a 97% favorability rating when asked what the public's favorite institution is.

Republicans hate anything that takes money out of their own hands.

Now it's time for me to go deliver Amazon and UPS Sunday deliveries so good luck if we fold fuckers.

My local post office is on an every other day delivery status now. Though we've been trying to figure out why tracking says stuff is delivered Saturday and it shows up Sunday. The bold clears that up a bit

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Zwabu posted:

Does anyone know what caused Trump to poo poo on Fox News and pimp OAN lately? Because Fox has been the single most important propaganda outlet propping him up through all this.

Fox is doing its best to support him, but they realize that they can't outright bullshit, plus they ask actual questions.
OAN is so far up his rear end they praise him, roll around in conspiracy theories like a pig in poo poo which makes Big Don feel better, and the questions they ask are such pointless, off topic softball questions that his slurring and off topic responses look like loving gold.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Jezebel posted:

Delete all the nytimes cookies and reload.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Robviously posted:

I'm a USPS employee and this is incorrect.

The USPS is fully self-funded due to republican bullshit and we run using only the money we get from postage to do the work day in and day out. The "help" we get occasionally is a line of credit that is expected to be paid unlike every other corporate bailout that comes down the pipelines. If not for the prefunding of tensions and benefits for every employee that gets hired, the Post Office would be much much closer to running in the black. We get something stupid like a 97% favorability rating when asked what the public's favorite institution is.

Republicans hate anything that takes money out of their own hands.

Now it's time for me to go deliver Amazon and UPS Sunday deliveries so good luck if we fold fuckers.

This is exactly what I said. They hate it because their donors are not making money off of it.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Bubbacub posted:

Are there any cities with rail transit that have a Republican mayor?

Phoenix did for a year and a half or so recently? But she wasn't in office when it was created, they had over a decade of Democrat mayors in the Aughts that saw to that.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Sekhmnet posted:

Delete all the nytimes cookies and reload.

Can't you just open an incognito tab in chrome rather than putz around with urls and cookies

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

VH4Ever posted:

Phoenix did for a year and a half or so recently? But she wasn't in office when it was created, they had over a decade of Democrat mayors in the Aughts that saw to that.

I was gobsmacked to see that Oklahoma City apparently has a tram/streetcar system going past the federal courthouse, the kind that Judge Doom destroyed in LA

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Jezebel posted:

Someone posted the whole thing in the Primary thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912894&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1600#post504050289

FateFree posted:

Can't you just open an incognito tab in chrome rather than putz around with urls and cookies

This doesn't always work and the NYT in particular will just not load if you use incognito sometimes.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

FateFree posted:

Incognito doesn't always work, WaPo and NYT especially. In chrome I just click on the little padlock to the left of the url, click cookies and delete the 3 or 4 cookies with their names on it, takes 5 seconds. Probably very similar in other browsers.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1249168589187407875

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kansas' snapback from being a libertarian hellhole has been inspiring.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Angry_Ed posted:

Kansas' snapback from being a libertarian hellhole has been inspiring.

Seriously, before I came back to Texas I weighed a Kansas City move, as a sort of backup plan to flee California prices. They don't have nearly the amount of job openings, though, but it looked decent on paper.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1249348815196499968

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

quote:

The coalition of locals that represents the workers in question, the Service Trades Council Union, made the announcement Saturday, saying Disney will provide free health care benefits for the furloughed workers for a year as well as continue paying for their education benefits, adding that about 200 union workers deemed essential will remain on the job.

Most of the theme park’s 77,000 employees are set to be furloughed due to the pandemic, which would by itself bring the metro Orlando area’s unemployment rate from February’s 2.9 percent to about 8.5 percent, according to the newspaper, citing state data.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://mobile.twitter.com/briantashman/status/1249083177945174018

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Too bad the FL Governor is a shithead who was not only late in shutting down much of the state, but will surely open it up prematurely causing a second wave of outbreaks, which means this park won't be able to open again for longer.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Pretty clever of Satan to be involved in the creation of the original church.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Robviously posted:

CCA or OTL? We've had a stacked list of Sunday workers here in OH that's full of both for the first time I've seen (non-December).

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

Fox is doing its best to support him, but they realize that they can't outright bullshit

Have you ever... Seen Fox News? This is literally what they've been doing for years. But no matter how much they have been propping up Trump apparently it's not enough so now he's all in for those sycophants at OANN

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Taerkar posted:

peter was originally named simon, and both simon and satan start AND end with the same letters, checks out

e: there's even a t in the middle of peter AND satan! WAKE UP PAPISTS

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/scotthech/status/1249345353855401984?s=21

Not a police state btw

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Taerkar posted:

Which implies the only real church (his) began 1868 years after Christ died.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The replies good loving god :psypop:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Taerkar posted:

No, apparently there was a really real church that existed from the time of Jesus till Christianity became the official Roman religion. The real church then was underground till the Reformation.

Or as one king said at the time "Is it more likely that all of Christendom has been wrong for 1000 years or more or that one monk is right in his opinion?"

The hatred of Catholics by Evangelicals is just bizarre to me. You will see them go on mission trips to places like Ireland or South America, places that have a long tradition of Catholicism. All because they're supposedly not saved because they didn't say they loved Jesus in exactly the right words.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Now that the death toll has surpassed H1N1 we can expect that talking point to go away, right?

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Madkal posted:

Now that the death toll has surpassed H1N1 we can expect that talking point to go away, right?

It was never a talking point. H1N1? What's that? It's fake news.

it will be memory holed

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Madkal posted:

The spin seems to be that doctors are blaming covid-19 for heart attacks, strokes, etc to make Trumplethinskin look bad.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sekhmnet posted:

The spin seems to be that doctors are blaming covid-19 for heart attacks, strokes, etc to make Trumplethinskin look bad.

Even if they changed how the deaths are attributed, that doesn't explain why there are twice as many deaths in NYC this year compared to last year.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/10/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Silly Burrito posted:

Can you make a statue that celebrates this and also calls him a dumbass at the same time?

A statue of him touching a microphone

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Which implies the only real church (his) began 1868 years after Christ died.

gotta build up some buzz before the big product release

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

PeterCat posted:

No, apparently there was a really real church that existed from the time of Jesus till Christianity became the official Roman religion. The real church then was underground till the Reformation.

Or as one king said at the time "Is it more likely that all of Christendom has been wrong for 1000 years or more or that one monk is right in his opinion?"

The hatred of Catholics by Evangelicals is just bizarre to me. You will see them go on mission trips to places like Ireland or South America, places that have a long tradition of Catholicism. All because they're supposedly not saved because they didn't say they loved Jesus in exactly the right words.

Apropos of nothing, but this reminds of when Michael Moore had his own TV show in the UK. In one episode he made it his mission to end the troubles in Northern Ireland by ambushing people and baptizing them into Catholicism, I dont remember it going down very well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

PeterCat posted:

Even if they changed how the deaths are attributed, that doesn't explain why there are twice as many deaths in NYC this year compared to last year.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/10/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html

Consisting that one may have been wrong is tough, where it would be easy to move goalposts in a dumb way; “Those NYC liberals are choosing to die now to make Trump look bad out of spite”