Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

It didn't leak immediately after the last oil change, but it seems to be leaking now. Not fast, but consistently.

Also when I put the plug in it did that thing where it got tighter, and tighter, aaaaand suddenly looser. Only a bit, but enough to make me think I've probably hosed it.

Remember for next time: quarter turn past finger tight, that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Same applies to spark plugs right? That's what I've been doing for the 125 at least and it hasn't exploded yet.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

uhh you should definitely torque those correctly since they use a crush washer

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I might have to get used to changing my own motorcycle tires; is there a recommended guide, including tools and equipment?

I'm sorry if this has come up a lot lately, I looked around a bit on the front page but I don't spend enough time in here because I haven't been riding lately. I'm actually pretty relieved that the bike started back up again once I popped a new battery in, thank you fuel injection.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I might have to get used to changing my own motorcycle tires; is there a recommended guide, including tools and equipment?

I'm sorry if this has come up a lot lately, I looked around a bit on the front page but I don't spend enough time in here because I haven't been riding lately. I'm actually pretty relieved that the bike started back up again once I popped a new battery in, thank you fuel injection.

I'm partial to the MC Garage guys. Speaking of, I should probably invest in a tire balancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAKIuSjPXxA

e: also everyone uses simple green as the lubricant ime

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My local garage sells tyres for the same price I see them online but fits and balances them for free if you take the rim off the bike and haven't filled them with gunge. It's worth seeing if you can save yourself the effort.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jack B Nimble posted:

For your first time, I cannot recommend this highly enough. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-17%22-mega-tire-iron-p It made a huge difference for me to be able to really get extra force when my technique was worse. I need it less now but it's still awfully nice to have.

I've always used this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B011J6KZUS on the recommendation of someone here, I think, and really liked it. All my tires are tubed though so may not be as important for tubeless? Sorry for forgetting who recommended it, but thanks!

For guides, it depends a lot on what kind of tire you're changing. I think I first looked at this guide. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdWmVBxSTHg I also found this one pretty useful. https://advrider.com/f/threads/neduros-tire-changing-class.50717/

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Azza Bamboo posted:

My local garage sells tyres for the same price I see them online but fits and balances them for free if you take the rim off the bike and haven't filled them with gunge. It's worth seeing if you can save yourself the effort.

I was thinking more like my shop might not stay open because of the pandemic. I have a day off later this month and, if they're open, I'll just have them do it. I've never wanted be the one in charge of making my tires not explode and kill me, but I'll do it if I have to.

Gonna end up holding a looooong wheelie like in Full Throttle.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've used a local shop before where I brought my wheels and the new tars in without the rest of the bike, but if I can find a local that sells reasonably-priced Q3+ that would be much better.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm sure you have your reasons for changing tires yourself. It's a good skill to have, especially if you ever have to do it to get back to civilization. If you're going to do it often enough and have the space, I hear the Harbor Freight moto tire changer pays for itself in a few changes. But after the last time I changed a tire, I'll always be taking my wheels to the shop if it's an option. I'd rather tear my engine down right now than change a tire tomorrow.
Anyhow, I bet your shop will be open before the next time you need it, depending on how bad the tires are right now.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I don't trust most "mechanics" to not scratch the poo poo out of a moto rim on a tire change.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

kloa posted:

I don't trust most "mechanics" to not scratch the poo poo out of a moto rim on a tire change.

I’ve scratched every rim I’ve done myself and never had a shop scratch one.
I never take them to dealerships, though, just little shops. Protip: take them to a Harley shop. You know how Harley people are about their chrome.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Harley shops also tend to have very blingy tyre machines to provide for the occasionally retarded rims they have to deal with, rather than the bare minimum needed. Imo the only 100% scratch-proof way to do it is super carefully by hand.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Any tips for a valve inspection on an ‘07 Tuono (rotax)?

I am due for one at ~15k miles and I have a feeler gauge set, but will I need anything else, and is there anything else I should do “while
I’m there” other than the valve cover gasket?

Plugs and air filter were done within the last 3 or 4k miles.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Voltage posted:

Any tips for a valve inspection on an ‘07 Tuono (rotax)?

I am due for one at ~15k miles and I have a feeler gauge set, but will I need anything else, and is there anything else I should do “while
I’m there” other than the valve cover gasket?

Plugs and air filter were done within the last 3 or 4k miles.

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=387579&d=1567410577

other than that good luck lol, i just paid to have mine checked and then haven't looked at them again for 25k miles

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I imagine it shouldn't be that bad on a V-twin except for having to remove two valve covers.

I know I should do a variety of maintenance on my bike, including plugs and valves and lubing cables etc.

Not looking forward to cracking open a modern FI I-4 and adjusting all 16 valves. Also I am annoyed by fairings al goddamn ready.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I’ve scratched every rim I’ve done myself and never had a shop scratch one.
I never take them to dealerships, though, just little shops. Protip: take them to a Harley shop. You know how Harley people are about their chrome.

Unless you have Harley shops like I do, which ask you if the wheel came off a Harley, and if not, they refuse to work on it claiming that somehow they don't have the proper adapters for their machines for non-Harley wheels.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I checked the valves maybe too much on the bandit because it had screw and jamnut valves and took like 20 minutes after your first time

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Brigdh posted:

Unless you have Harley shops like I do, which ask you if the wheel came off a Harley, and if not, they refuse to work on it claiming that somehow they don't have the proper adapters for their machines for non-Harley wheels.

Well, I’ve only been to one of the six non-dealership Harley shops in my town, so I guess it wouldn’t surprise me if one of them pulled that. The one I go to is smart enough to service and sell anything they can, and they seem to be doing the best in town.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

I imagine it shouldn't be that bad on a V-twin except for having to remove two valve covers.

I know I should do a variety of maintenance on my bike, including plugs and valves and lubing cables etc.

Not looking forward to cracking open a modern FI I-4 and adjusting all 16 valves. Also I am annoyed by fairings al goddamn ready.

What bike? Unless it's a 600 or done a lot of miles you almost certainly don't need to bother getting in there, but it really depends on the bike. If it's a Suzuki go hog wild, it's a Honda just don't bother it's far too much effort just to confirm they're all perfect.

Rotax twins: great to work on when they aren't surrounded by an Aprilia.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It's a Gixxer 600 bro

It's basically stock which mostly bodes well for the mental state of the PO, but while replacing the grips I noticed that the bar-end plugs were reinforced with electrical tape so there is some minor fuckery. Still I can't really trust that person and I'll have to go in and do some basic maintenance.

maybe if they had told me "WOMAN OWNED NEVER DOWN"

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Hi. I’ve ridden 4 wheelers and dirt bikes occasionally as a kid, but never a real motorcycle on the highway. I do however ride a bicycle on the road frequently, and have done several multi day cross country cycling trips, so I guess I’m hyper aware of highway traffic and used to being vulnerable out there. I pride myself on being safe on the road.

Anyway, I’m getting more and more interested in a motorcycle for weekends and just riding around town. I’ve had sports cars but the idea of a bike just seems way more fun than any of the cars I’ve driven. The bikes that appeal to me most are the cafe racer, Thruxton/Bonneville style, classic standard bikes, and I’m wondering if a used Bonneville or Thruxton would be a good choice for a first bike?

E: also I’m kinda tall and lanky at 6’3” 200lbs. I do plan on taking a basic rider safety course that a local Harley shop is offering if the world ever does start back up again.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bonnevilles and the like fit part of the learner criteria (slow, friendly, simple) but are really bad in other ways, namely being really big and heavy, which is a huge drawback unto itself, but they are also somewhat limiting skills-wise.

Classic-style bikes (I'm generalising here, there are a bunch of different kinds of bikes that look similar but ride drastically different) will teach you how to do the basics well enough and that's just about it; if you just want to ride to see the sights and taste some cool-dudeness occasionally that'll do you fine, but if you care about riding actually properly well you really need something smaller, more dynamically capable and more ergonomically appropriate like an r3/mt03 or similar. I can't stress the difference in how fast you learn when you have something you can grip properly with your legs, feel the front tyre, get the whole chassis and engine working together at manageable speeds, the whole man machine synergy shebang.

If you're married to the idea of hip with the kids retro style, there are smaller bikes that fit the bill like sr400, tu250, enfields etc. Also tall and lanky, need to learn? You need a dual sport my friend. Head over to the newbie thread!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
The xr650r hasn't been run since October, and I've had a few sleepiness nights in the interim that I've irrevocably hosed it up with my tinkering (It's had a new FCR carb and completely stripped and rebuilt electrical system and I am not a very good mechanic)

True to form it started up first kick and ran better than it ever has!

My upstairs neighbour files a complaint if I so much as pull away for work in the morning from the end of the drive - so is there a way to check the non-ignition coils are properly connected without running the bike with a regulator attached?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

The xr650r hasn't been run since October, and I've had a few sleepiness nights in the interim that I've irrevocably hosed it up with my tinkering (It's had a new FCR carb and completely stripped and rebuilt electrical system and I am not a very good mechanic)

True to form it started up first kick and ran better than it ever has!

My upstairs neighbour files a complaint if I so much as pull away for work in the morning from the end of the drive - so is there a way to check the non-ignition coils are properly connected without running the bike with a regulator attached?

Multimeter checking the windings will tell you if the stator is intact and nominally functional but that won't tell you what it does IRL, gotta have the engine spinning. I'm not sure if kicking it with the plug out would give you enough of a reading to achieve anything.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Multimeter checking the windings will tell you if the stator is intact and nominally functional but that won't tell you what it does IRL, gotta have the engine spinning. I'm not sure if kicking it with the plug out would give you enough of a reading to achieve anything.

Yep. I'm pretty sure a single kick is not likely to overcome the entire reluctance of a coil in one go, so it won't be outputting its steady state output, output is RPM dependent, and unless you have a really nice voltmeter/oscilloscope it won't capture a transient voltage (or current) accurately.

BUT, if you are willing to cheat a little, try this: disconnect fuel line/plugs, run the starter off a battery (make sure not to kill the battery), then check what the regulator is outputting. The starter should spin the motor at above-idle speeds for a while without the engine firing, and the regulator will reach a steady state before you drain the batt.

Source: friend kicked a KZ400 until her leg fell off.

Edit: if you don't have a starter then idk. Run hamsters through rear wheel in gear? If you have a timing inspection hole thing that lets you spin the crankshaft with a socket you MIGHT be able to run that with a seriously overbuilt drill, especially if you take the plugs out so that the piston doesn't have to overcome compression.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 12, 2020

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

If you're married to the idea of hip with the kids retro style, there are smaller bikes that fit the bill like sr400, tu250, enfields etc. Also tall and lanky, need to learn? You need a dual sport my friend. Head over to the newbie thread!

Just as a data point, i was not happy with the TU250 during my msf bc the throttle felt SUPER sensitive. I switched to a nighthawk on the second day and it was much better

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
that Yamaha SR400 looks nice, & I see it’s significantly lighter too. I get why light weight is good, but for my size i didn’t think small would be the way to go. What seat height should I look for with like a 34” inseam?

Why would a dual sport fit my body type?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

Just as a data point, i was not happy with the TU250 during my msf bc the throttle felt SUPER sensitive. I switched to a nighthawk on the second day and it was much better

Maybe it had a big sprocket or something? Unusual, they have a seemingly intentionally slow and uninteresting engine but I've never ridden an efi one, maybe it's just crap mapping.

beanieson posted:

that Yamaha SR400 looks nice, & I see it’s significantly lighter too. I get why light weight is good, but for my size i didn’t think small would be the way to go. What seat height should I look for with like a 34” inseam?

Why would a dual sport fit my body type?

Your size isn't too relevant, you're normal enough that you can ride most things fine
As a similarly tall and lanky person I've found knee angle/peg crampedness are the biggest issue with small stuff but you can avoid those by not getting a 125 or cruiser. From a performance perspective there's no difference.

Dual sports have really relaxed, comfortable ergos if you're tall. But they also have a really good matrix of attributes that make them ideal learners: light, easy to use, skinny tyres, tractable engines, low top speed, you can see above the cars and ride over the holes, rugged and easy to diy. Like, they are by far the best thing to learn on for literally everyone, but not everyone is lucky enough to be tall.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

There’s a used KTM 390 Duke nearby for $3100 that comes with some saddle bags. That seems to fit the bill of small displacement & light but idk much else about KTM.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

beanieson posted:

There’s a used KTM 390 Duke nearby for $3100 that comes with some saddle bags. That seems to fit the bill of small displacement & light but idk much else about KTM.

:v: slavvy will be here shortly

Get a dual sport, and not a KTM.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lots of reasons to avoid KTM but the tldr is you have so much poo poo to learn and worry about when learning, the last thing you need is a bike that creates bonus problems for you. Same reason you can't learn to ride and fix up an old bike at the same time.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Thanks goons. I’m not rushing out to buy anything, def want to take that class first.

Off road doesn’t appeal to me that much, but I do appreciate the scrambler bikes from triumph and Ducati. I like the older aesthetic but also the modern naked sport bike like the Ducati M.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I wanted to run my dumb idea by you guys..
I have an Indian Scout which I love and ride like it's not a middleweight cruiser, however my beginner a 2018 Honda Rebel 300 is kind of boring. I've been thinking about trading it in while there are some good deals to be had on a second bike that's a different experience than my Scout.

I found a 19 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401 with only 100 miles on it for around $3900. Same dealership has a heavily used (10k) mile 15 FZ09 for 5600ish.
Another dealer near me has a used 17 FZ07 with 2k miles for only 4900.

The Vitpilen is tempting because personally I think it looks cool as hell, it's small and light and I only ever ride for fun since I work from home so comfort isn't a big deal. Also it's super cheap lol. The FZ09 is tempting but there's no way that wasn't beat on everyday since it rolled off the lot.
Ive read really good things about the FZ07s and I think it would be a better bike than the Vitpilen plus that twin actually sounds really good, the husky sounds like a dirt bike. Does anyone have experience with Husqvarna or the 401s in particular? If I did get it the cafe style clip ons might be an issue , I'd prefer the ergos of the svartpilen but lol at those existing in Western PA.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

BrownieVK posted:

I wanted to run my dumb idea by you guys..
I have an Indian Scout which I love and ride like it's not a middleweight cruiser, however my beginner a 2018 Honda Rebel 300 is kind of boring. I've been thinking about trading it in while there are some good deals to be had on a second bike that's a different experience than my Scout.

I found a 19 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401 with only 100 miles on it for around $3900. Same dealership has a heavily used (10k) mile 15 FZ09 for 5600ish.
Another dealer near me has a used 17 FZ07 with 2k miles for only 4900.

The Vitpilen is tempting because personally I think it looks cool as hell, it's small and light and I only ever ride for fun since I work from home so comfort isn't a big deal. Also it's super cheap lol. The FZ09 is tempting but there's no way that wasn't beat on everyday since it rolled off the lot.
Ive read really good things about the FZ07s and I think it would be a better bike than the Vitpilen plus that twin actually sounds really good, the husky sounds like a dirt bike. Does anyone have experience with Husqvarna or the 401s in particular? If I did get it the cafe style clip ons might be an issue , I'd prefer the ergos of the svartpilen but lol at those existing in Western PA.

how tall are you? I'm 5'11" and I look ridiculous on the vitpilen 401. the vitpilen / svartpilen 701 I felt infinitely more comfortable on. plus the 690 / 701 engine is far more reliable than the 390 / 401 engine imho. I would not recommend the 390 / 401 to someone who did not thoroughly enjoy motorcycle maintenance

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I'm 5'8 and heavy lol. I'm really looking for something I can just jump on and ride when I don't feel like being a cruiser bro. My Scout is quick in a straight line but I drag pegs all the time and I think it would be fun to have something that can handle. The 701 is a little out of the price range for a second bike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Is it just me or does a fz09 with 10k miles in 5 years sound barely broken in, rather than heavily used and beat on every day? Not saying the bike isn't beat up, but if it's in good shape and you like it, I wouldn't let that mileage put you off.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Whole lotta people still think 100k miles on a car means it's basically about to blow up, so 10k on a bike seems like a lot for a "toy," in America at least.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also please don't forget that the average motorcycle owner in the USA rides less than 1000 miles per year, so 10k would be a decade of use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
My FZ-09 had over 9k miles on it and it was in great shape. I wouldn't personally worry about that many miles on a Japanese bike, depending on the owner, of course. If it has a huge rear sprocket and two brake callipers on the back, maybe not.