Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MF_James posted:

Don't some smoke detectors chirp during normal operation? Could have sworn some that are (generally) in like common hallways do that, maybe I'm just used to those chirping and have fooled myself into thinking it's normal.

No, they only beep if battery is low/dead.

Some *flash* all the time, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DelphiAegis posted:

Aren't most smoke detectors sold nowadays the lithium battery type where they last 10 years? Just get one of those, never worry about a poo poo 9v battery ever again.

I just bought a house and got new smoke/CO2 detectors for the entire place and they take AA batteries.

Getting the built-in ones isn't going to solve the root problem here: laziness.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DelphiAegis posted:

Aren't most smoke detectors sold nowadays the lithium battery type where they last 10 years? Just get one of those, never worry about a poo poo 9v battery ever again.

That's not helpful to anyone who doesn't own their residence, though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Data Graham posted:

It's pretty amazing what people can get used to. The McDonald's near me has circular light fixtures in cans in the ceiling and every time I look in the windows they are blinking on and off at about 3 Hz. They cover the entire restaurant seating space and it just flickers nonstop at all times.

It has been like that for YEARS

I was on a plane from Las Vegas to Heathrow a few years ago and one of the fluorescent lights tucked up by the window seats was flickering for the entire journey and I have absolutely no idea how the people sat near it didn't end up committing some sort of air rage based crime

DelphiAegis posted:

Until the 10 years is up and then people just ignore the replacement date

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

I rent and my landlord bought those models as replacements. Though fair, most people have lovely landlords.

Thanks Ants posted:

Ten years will at least buy you into the post-apocalypse years, then you have bigger things to worry about than a house fire.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a good point

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Avoiding doing things because there is a potential roadblock is how we get departments with 30+ year old technology that never should have been in service for that long.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
We’re interviewing a number of Indian candidates lately, and the hard quarantine in India has been a real pain in the rear end for them :smith: I had one guy no-show on the first day of their lockdown, and another whose building’s actual fire alarm was going off for 30 minutes. My interview partner and I were like, should we tell him to cut this off? He’s a good candidate, I don’t want him to lose this opportunity, but also, dude, your flat might be on fire???

Internet over there is real sketchy and a lot of our WFH under quarantine employees are being screwed by bad bandwidth or metered connections.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Kyrosiris posted:

If they go on the same base...:shrug: poo poo, I rent and replaced my dryer because it went up and the landlords are so loving particular and take so long to get poo poo done - I'm just taking the fucker with me, along with the garage fridge I replaced as well. I've had a broken window for 3 weeks because their guy takes forever and a day.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's really easy to poo poo on BT for being expensive or generally awful at getting things done quickly, but for a company of their size to commit to no job losses as a result of coronavirus, to hand all non-managerial roles a 1.5% raise, £500 in company stock, and the CEO to take no pay for six months is a pretty big move.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The worst ones are hard wired so if they go low overnight and you don't have a 9v the dogs just cry and cry.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The worst ones are hard wired so if they go low overnight and you don't have a 9v the dogs just cry and cry.

And this is why I had to unplug 2 of my smoke detectors - not only did the 9V die but the loving wires aren't working anymore, so it refuses to believe it's wired and batteried. Landlord still has yet to replace after 2 years - see above post.

The only one I'm super worried about works and it's right outside the kitchen.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Have there been any reply-all-pocalypses since poo poo melted down? I feel like we’re ripe for another Portland Center or Excellence moment or whatever happens at other peoples’ respective companies.

We had someone reply-all to a company wide e-mail about an outage with an expletive filled rant about someone's "fat rear end wife"

There's no context so :iiam: who's wife she's talking about.

less than three fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 8, 2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

less than three posted:

We had someone reply-all to a company wide e-mail about an outage with an expletive filled rant about someone's "fat rear end wife"

There's no context so :iiam: who's wife she's talking about.

That sounds amazing.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm job interviewing via video from home these days and we've tried a lot of things to dull the roar in the background, but we've pretty much resigned ourselves to putting all the kids in their carseats and having my wife drive around the block.

A headset with a mic that can be next to your mouth or something like AirPods can help *a lot*. The mic has a better shot at attenuating out the background noise as compared to a microphone on your laptop or on an external webcam sitting in front of you.

There’s also https://krisp.ai which works pretty well. I can’t use it at work due to it not being explicitly approved but I’ve used it at home on test calls with folks and it worked well while my daughter was running around the living room terrorizing the dogs.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dick Nipples posted:

A headset with a mic that can be next to your mouth or something like AirPods can help *a lot*. The mic has a better shot at attenuating out the background noise as compared to a microphone on your laptop or on an external webcam sitting in front of you.

This is incredibly important.
The ratio of the distance between your mouth and the mic, to the distance from your kids to the mic, makes a huge difference.

If your kids are 10 meters from your workspace and you use a laptop/webcam mounted microphone that ends up maybe 1 meter from your mouth, you have a 1:10 ratio, while if you use a headset you can get the microphone maybe 5 cm from your mouth improving to a 5:1000 = 1:200 ratio. Then apply the inverse-square law, and you're looking at a sound energy differences of 1:100 compared to 1:40000, a factor 400 (26 dB) improvement in attenuation of the background noise.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We just handed out headsets with boom mics and probably a good 75% went "a bloo bloo bloo this looks ugly"

And nobody turns on their video on Webex anyways.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

These were a great deal for $24,

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UXZQ42/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Too bad they're double that now.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

No laws about price gouging on WFH equipment has had a... predictable effect, I see.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

less than three posted:

We just handed out headsets with boom mics and probably a good 75% went "a bloo bloo bloo this looks ugly"

And nobody turns on their video on Webex anyways.

It's possible to get good headsets that are comfortable, look good, high sound quality, good noise cancelling microphone, even active noise cancelling. But they're expensive.

I've previously spoken badly about the Plantronics Voyager UC, apparently they've fixed the issues I had in a newer hardware revision and it's reliable now. I switched to Plantronics Voyager 8200 though, I like the comfort of that one even better, the active noise cancelling it very comfortable, and the microphone noise isolation is amazing. When using it WFH it's rarely ever picking up my birds (or at least nobody comments on it then). Very strong recommendation, if you can pay the $300 price tag.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We were sent out on minimal notice and bought Steelseries Arctis 3/7. It's a good headset but some people don't like the full earcup.

less than three fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 10, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Circumaural is the thing that works on a long enough scale, supraaural and intraaural are both uncomfortable for extended periods of use. :colbert:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

D. Ebdrup posted:

Circumaural is the thing that works on a long enough scale, supraaural and intraaural are both uncomfortable for extended periods of use. :colbert:

:hai: Canlife bestlife.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Hey everyone.

Our phones have been ringing off the hook since we're technically an ISP but a ton of Carriers are having major outages right now resulting in some massive bullshit going on. Verizon, Cox, Spectrum to name a few.

Not sure what's going on but it's odd to see multiple ISPs having these all at once. Just FYI

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Been having comcast issues this morning, but i think it was their poo poo DNS, somehow my router reverted to using their DNS instead of google, might have been the firmware update I did a few days ago.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Nth Doctor posted:

:hai: Canlife bestlife.

V-Moda Crossfade IIs with the added boom mic ftw.

Still gives me swamp-ear when I'm on for more than 4 hours a day, but some of that is my silly affectation for multiple big-ish gauge piercings in my ears...but anyway, the boom mic is fantastic. And I sit next to an HVAC intake vent and live with a scream-prone cat. I would recommend getting a standard foam cover for the mic end, as it does soften the plosives and keeps it from picking up a lot of ambient noise.

The boom cable is detachable and works on any brand headset with a 3.5mm input on the earpieces, so you don't have to go for the full fat "basic bitch rose gold" pro V-Moda cans. (That was the only color that came with advanced Bluetooth...and it was worth it, but ugh, not my preference.)

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

D. Ebdrup posted:

I've spent 9 months remote pair-programming when i was at Pivotal. We used Sennheiser Game One there and it's the only headset I can wear for full workday without ear fatigue. The audio quality is fantastic due to the noise-cancelling microphone (the headset itself is not noise-cancelling but the mic doesn't pick up much ambient noise)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

luminalflux posted:

I've spent 9 months remote pair-programming when i was at Pivotal. We used Sennheiser Game One there and it's the only headset I can wear for full workday without ear fatigue. The audio quality is fantastic due to the noise-cancelling microphone (the headset itself is not noise-cancelling but the mic doesn't pick up much ambient noise)
Sounds like it's a cardioid microphone, as those are made to not pick up sound from anywhere except a very small area where you're supposed to speak into.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

less than three posted:

We were sent out on minimal notice and bought Steelseries Arctis 3/7. It's a good headset but some people don't like the full earcup.

Oh man we have these, quite nice to listen to music with but I loathe talking on them. At least on my ears they completely seal out sound from the outside world including my own voice so I feel like I'm talking underwater, give me a lightweight headset any day (Avalle was the weapon of choice one job ago).

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

D. Ebdrup posted:

Sounds like it's a cardioid microphone, as those are made to not pick up sound from anywhere except a very small area where you're supposed to speak into.

That and another microphone element pointed the other direction, wired out-of-phase. Works wonders.

edit: Having an open headset (lets in ambient sound) instead of a closed headset helps a LOT to reduce fatigue since you can hear your own voice

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

luminalflux posted:

That and another microphone element pointed the other direction, wired out-of-phase. Works wonders.

edit: Having an open headset (lets in ambient sound) instead of a closed headset helps a LOT to reduce fatigue since you can hear your own voice

Seconding this forever. I have a few pairs of really nice sound sealing earbuds that give me panic attacks when I wear them, because they even seal out the sound of my own breathing when the music is at a comfortable level, and it does weird/bad things to my brain over time.

I noticed Hangouts audio doesn’t feed enough of my own voice back into the mix, which is annoying. Meet seems mostly fine on audio, though the video codec is still a resource monster. I’ve been using the Zoom-alike grid extension for it anyway, but I may have to use up one of my Get Into The Office Free cards to go provision a beefier laptop if I’m gonna be at home for a while. It’s so bad that uninstalling Discord made a noticeable performance difference :psy: I know this is straight up “the cobbler’s kids have no shoes” territory for me to say my work computer is poo poo and I don’t want to troubleshoot it, but also, gently caress that I have work to do.

I haven’t hit the level of full-on mixing my poo poo on the 24-track Tascam with extra ambience mics and proper monitoring and all that fanciness...but I’m starting to get a little stir crazy, so that might end up happening anyway. I spent most of yesterday on calls from my phone cuz VPN was loving up, chopping samples of Dana White insisting that “FIGHT ISLAND IS REAL” on my personal laptop. Guys, it’s real, and it’s really happening, on an island.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I know this is straight up “the cobbler’s kids have no shoes” territory for me to say my work computer is poo poo and I don’t want to troubleshoot it, but also, gently caress that I have work to do.

I didn't used to think this was a realistic thing that happened but I've been running a web development business for 7 years now and I still don't have a website for it.

Like, I have a domain with email, but over HTTP it doesn't even resolve.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 11, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

When I was like 20 and not yet jaded, I didn't understand why older people who were also nerds didn't want to spend 23 hours a day tweaking their PC and learning how to use software they had no real practical use for. Now I know they are just tired of dealing with all this poo poo.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

taqueso posted:

When I was like 20 and not yet jaded, I didn't understand why older people who were also nerds didn't want to spend 23 hours a day tweaking their PC and learning how to use software they had no real practical use for. Now I know they are just tired of dealing with all this poo poo.

When my friends ask me to troubleshoot their hardware I tell them to buy something with a warranty.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Super Slash posted:

Oh man we have these, quite nice to listen to music with but I loathe talking on them. At least on my ears they completely seal out sound from the outside world including my own voice so I feel like I'm talking underwater, give me a lightweight headset any day (Avalle was the weapon of choice one job ago).

If you install the software you can turn on sidetone so you can hear yourself.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

4 or 5 years ago we needed some extra money and my wife was super confused when I refused to do computer repair on Craigslist.

“You used to do it all the time”

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

kensei posted:

When my friends ask me to troubleshoot their hardware I tell them to buy something with a warranty.

Pretty much the best advice. "It worked fine! I only got it in 2006!" Along with software issues the advice always given being: :pt:

Like 80% of my company is now WFH, cracking 2k people this week. So many people forgetting how the gently caress to do the things they did 10 times a day. Situational memory is pretty strong it seems.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jaded Burnout posted:

I didn't used to think this was a realistic thing that happened but I've been running a web development business for 7 years now and I still don't have a website for it.

Like, I have a domain with email, but over HTTP it doesn't even resolve.
My security consultancy is running a secondary "dev.company.domain" website that's just wordpress and laziness accessible from wherever. We also have a VPN for our sso.company.domain and wiki.company.domain, but apparently we :effort: at changing the .htaccess file for this.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

kensei posted:

:same:

I met a guy a couple years back who’s both Montanan and a musician, so I felt obligated to help him when he dropped his laptop and needed a new HD plus OS install and config. Mind you, I’ve been out of the civilian desktop support support biz for so long I’m extremely rusty and have told people not to ask me for help anymore unless it’s real dire.

Not only does motherfucker not share his weed after lighting up in front of me (WHO DOES THAT), but he texts me the next day and asks if I can teach him everything I know about computers. For free, obvs, because he moved out here penniless and can’t seem to make his “band” take off.

PROTIP: if Portland ever unfucks itself, and you see a guy named Mr. Misery on a show’s playbill, avoid. He’s a solo artist because no one wants to work with him, not because he’s good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
See that poo poo isn't on. I have a goonfriend who helped me learn all the security when I went back to college and I made drat sure that if I was turning up at his house I brought snacks for him, his girlfriend, and his pet rats. I had known him for about 25 years at that point, and still made sure to show that it was appreciated as best I could at the time.