Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Prince John posted:

Is there someone out there archiving all of twitter? Feels like someone must be.

:nsa:, but it might be a bit tricky to get the details out of them.

The Web Archive probably have most of it, but navigating it to get individual posts is nadgery as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Prince John posted:

Is there someone out there archiving all of twitter? Feels like someone must be.

Not sure the NSA will be up for helping here.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Article in the Daily Fail!

quote:

BBC bosses have warned interviewers not to put ministers under pressure over coronavirus crisis, says former Today presenter John Humphrys

John Humphrys, 76, made the revealing claim in his column for today's Daily Mail

Former host wrote it may be 'justified if we were at war', adding: 'But we're not'

Twitter users have also accused the BBC of failing to 'take government to task'

It follows Matt Hancock urging 'not to overuse PPE' on BBC Radio 4 this morning

etc

source: fail/news/article-8210271/BBC-bosses-warning-interviewers-not-ministers-pressure-coronavirus-crisis.html

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

The report in full, get it while it's hot:
https://t.co/muyBUqtzn1

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

thespaceinvader posted:

There probably would have been whilst they were in post, if any of their managers ever cared to pursue it, but I doubt there is now.

yeah :(

hopefully this will be off the cards at least

https://twitter.com/peter_pindar/status/1249376055779090432?s=20

Josef bugman posted:

I hope, sincerely, that this makes at least part of the Starmer group get worried/ react.

I'd hope that one wing of the party deliberately sabotaging our chances at victory just to spite the other would be something that the unity candidate would want to look into, but I'm pretty sure "unity" is just a codeword for putting Phillips, streeting and Kinnock in the cabinet

I just can't see how the trust between members/activists and the party can be rebuilt unless they actually address this utter betrayal

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm so glad I'm not the only know who knows the TRUE origin of "simp"

Though not well enough to know it's 2000AD, not AD2000. Grexnix.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
guess we know what pissflasps has been up to post-threadban

https://twitter.com/newliquidvessel/status/1249381342485217282

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

She's also the wife of Jonathan Ashworth, the Shadow Health Secretary. There's no way any of these people are getting cleared out.

https://twitter.com/TheSinanKose/status/1249385413908877312
:waycool:

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Right finally time to resign from unison, I'm a member of iww as well but are any of the large unions worth anything or are they all completely defanged?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

guess we know what pissflasps has been up to post-threadban

https://twitter.com/newliquidvessel/status/1249381342485217282

We already know who the one person was - it was Margaret Hodge. I don't know why they were being coy about it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/JonArgles/status/1249363585937149960?s=20

(Is Jon on here? I have some notion he might be).

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

chestnut santabag posted:

Cheers!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Do you think though that this report has been leaked now specifically to 'encourage' a lot of lefties to leave the party in disgust?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Seeing Boris Johnson give a speech in good health was incredibly depressing and reminded me how god loving hates us.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do you think though that this report has been leaked now specifically to 'encourage' a lot of lefties to leave the party in disgust?

I was sorta thinking this, but then I thought it was my paranoid brain coming up with some sort of reason for a 'fix'.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Chucat posted:

I was sorta thinking this, but then I thought it was my paranoid brain coming up with some sort of reason for a 'fix'.

It's this, not every has a reason or a plan behind it. The resilience of capitalism is that it is in the class interests of capitalists to defend it so they will all independently, not that there is a shadowy cabal propping it up.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:nsa:, but it might be a bit tricky to get the details out of them.

The Web Archive probably have most of it, but navigating it to get individual posts is nadgery as hell

Or anyone with firehose or a big 'research' dataset :nsa:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I do hope people stick around (while continuing to vocally register their anger). The last thing we need is the membership collapsing and handing the whole party back to the neolibs.

Here's hoping we get a left-led challenge in the near future. I'd spunk my pants if Big John decided to openly run against Starmer - and I think he'd probably win. RLB is generally a good egg but we threw the election by having her as our candidate. She's by no means bad but she lacked the necessary charisma and campaigning ability. A veteran, recognisable, and articulate left-labour candidate would I think have had a much better shot at it. He almost certainly won't though.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 12, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chucat posted:

Lol me too, I got halfway through typing up a post about it before shouting myself down.

e: Only about a third of my posts actually get as far as me pressing the Post button - given the average quality of them, imagine the stuff that gets rejected. As always I look to AD Wintle for guidance:

quote:

From Lt. Col. A.D. Wintle.
The Royal Dragoons
Cavalry Club
127 Piccadilly W.1.

To the Editor of The Times.

Sir,

I have just written you a long letter.

On reading it over, I have thrown it into the waste paper basket.

Hoping this will meet with your approval,

I am
Sir
Your obedient Servant

(Signed, 'ADWintle')

6 Feb '46

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 12, 2020

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

chestnut santabag posted:

You beauty.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

I do hope people stick around (while continuing to vocally register their anger). The last thing we need is the membership collapsing and handing the whole party back to the neolibs.

Here's hoping we get a left-led challenge in the near future. I'd spunk my pants if Big John decided to openly run against Starmer - and I think he'd probably win. RLB is generally a good egg but we threw the election by having her as our candidate. She's by no means bad but she lacked the necessary charisma and campaigning ability. A veteran, recognisable, and articulate left-labour candidate would I think have had a much better shot at it.

I don't think McDonnell would though. I read somewhere he only stuck around because Corbyn won the leadership. He has been pretty ill I think.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/HowUpsetting/status/1249393227062534150?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

yeah :(

hopefully this will be off the cards at least

https://twitter.com/peter_pindar/status/1249376055779090432?s=20
Say what you will about the morning star, they did the best ever use of a possessive apostrophe and a creative linebreak I've ever seen.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't think McDonnell would though. I read somewhere he only stuck around because Corbyn won the leadership. He has been pretty ill I think.

Yeah, I know. It's a shame, he'd be great. Someone like Ian Lavery might have been a good shout.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Save the Sun guy (but for foodbanks really) has got over £14.6k now.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-the-sun-newspaper

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Antisemitism reporter isn't Hodge, she was only responsible for like 100 cases.

The way Gnasher is reacting to this report and all the data being leaked however does point the finger somewhat.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

The Antisemitism reporter isn't Hodge, she was only responsible for like 100 cases.

The way Gnasher is reacting to this report and all the data being leaked however does point the finger somewhat.

Is that them who think it's Tweetman?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PopulismExpert/status/1249094854199709696

Listen I know jokes about cucking are not really the ticket, but come on Harry Coles has to be getting off on this or something.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm already in a union I can vote without being a member.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's hard not to reach for the tinfoil hat, looking at what's just happened.
I guess the most constructive angle we can take is that Labour were within a bee's dick of winning in 2017 despite all this. The policies and excitement and er, momentum that carried us to that high water mark would have succeeded. The platform of muscular left wing policies put forth in 2017 was a winner, and can be again, if the party leadership hardens itself against sabotage and cynical attempts to make a tar pit of the antisemitism investigation.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Showing my naivite but I'm shocked that one of the offenders in this little group of people working behind the scenes against the party of Corbyn was a high up in a major union. What the gently caress are they even for?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Folks, what do we do about who we are?

Is there something that kind of acts like duolingo for the soul, where every day you just go and do something very small that helps people. Or something larger, I don't know. How do we improve and fix ourselves?

Isomermaid posted:

Showing my naivite but I'm shocked that one of the offenders in this little group of people working behind the scenes against the party of Corbyn was a high up in a major union. What the gently caress are they even for?

Themselves/ This is the problem, people think that the way they achieved power is the only way to achieve it, and without a context to wrap it in, it becomes a bludgeon to maintain itself.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 12, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the compliance bit of that report is pretty eye opening, it basically confirms that it was purely a weapon against Corbyn supporters

one of the people on that panorama antisemitism program, Sam Matthews, was in charge of it

e.g.

quote:

In total, the searches, along with other complaints submitted by email, flagged 11,250
members and supporters.

Matthews and Buckingham would review these cases and
decide which to proceed with, and which to drop.350 A small majority of cases - 5,897 -
did not pass through this initial review stage.
Officially, the term “Trot”, accompanied by abuse, was used as a search term, like
“Blairite” and “Corbynite”. However, very few of these cases appear to have been
passed to the NEC.

On 6 October 2016, a spreadsheet was exported with all the cases the NEC had
reviewed in the process - 3,333 of them. The spreadsheet includes all the evidence in
text form. The word “Blairite” appears 529 times, “Blair” 956 times, “traitor” 598 times
and “Green” 1,464 times; but “Trot” just 14 times and “Corbynite” 13 times.
While compiling this report, the Party has come across at least 40 Labour Party
employees, including most of Labour HQ’s most senior staff, using the term “Trot” to
refer to Labour members, elected officials and staff, usually in an explicitly derogatory
and insulting manner.

e: not sure why copy and paste hosed up the formatting so bad

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Josef bugman posted:

Is there something that kind of acts like duolingo for the soul, where every day you just go and do something very small that helps people. Or something larger, I don't know. How do we improve and fix ourselves?

u clap for the nhs

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The section about Chris Williamson near the end of the report (page 825) is interesting.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ThomasPaine posted:

Here's hoping we get a left-led challenge in the near future. I'd spunk my pants if Big John decided to openly run against Starmer - and I think he'd probably win. RLB is generally a good egg but we threw the election by having her as our candidate. She's by no means bad but she lacked the necessary charisma and campaigning ability. A veteran, recognisable, and articulate left-labour candidate would I think have had a much better shot at it. He almost certainly won't though.

pls no lol its embarassing

"big john" was the most rightward tacking element of corbynism and basically sold out on left economics

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Well one thing you can do, and quite a few of my FB friends are doing is posting one positive image or video every day - whether it's flowers or cats or religious stuff - depending on their inclinations. I have spates of doing that, staying off entirely and posting my themed 'midnight playlists' (which everyone hates LOL ). So maybe you could do that on here or on FB if you're on there, like the posters doing birbs and gardens? Maybe pick a theme that appeals to you and do that?
It might be small, but it is helpful I think to have some relief from the unrelenting crap news!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

pls no lol its embarassing

"big john" was the most rightward tacking element of corbynism and basically sold out on left economics

I know breathless despair is kinda your posting gimmick but this is pretty revisionist.

Yes, McDonnell put on the kid gloves a little when talking to businesses, to make himself seem palatable and jovial. Internet communists hate this, yes. But he was the shadow chancellor trying to win an election for a mainstream centre-left party, and was dealing with constant accusations that he was a Stalinist anyway. What precisely should he have done? Lead with a policy of 'liquidate all private enterprise'? Sure, we'd lap that up but if you think the Overton Window in Britain is anywhere near a position where that would have gone over well amongst the general public you're delusional. There's absolutely nothing to suggest that he wouldn't have been the most left-wing chancellor in parliament's history had Labour won the election. Being smart with what you say and what you don't, regardless of your actual personal opinions, is a pretty essential skill for a politician.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 12, 2020

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Jedit posted:

Though not well enough to know it's 2000AD, not AD2000. Grexnix.

I take alot of drugs in the morning and it takes me a while to get up to speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'd've preferred McDonnell to Corbyn when Corbyn first ascended, but now I think he's probably too old. By the time he actually came to fight an election he'd be *checks wiki* seventy loving four.