Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pee-pee Mon Butt :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

alexandriao posted:

I call bullshit. Let's look at something that's completely understood: software. We have an comprehensive and detailed theoretical understanding of how software works. The systems are completely explained and mathematically described, from top to bottom, even proprietary systems, because the executable code that runs is well defined (within a certain degree, but there are margins of error in physics, too) and (mostly) easily examinable.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but this is stunningly wrong. Nothing in this paragraph is at all true.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

https://twitter.com/eyesvvideshut/status/1249096977641607169

Weeks
Jan 5, 2018

The only reason I remember there was a movie called Meet Joe Black is because of that scene

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Weeks posted:

The only reason I remember there was a movie called Meet Joe Black is because of that scene

Not the Jamaican scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-mJpIlYM64

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ultrafilter posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but this is stunningly wrong. Nothing in this paragraph is at all true.

The languages are described in the lambda calculus/turing machine(s? It sounds wrong either way lmao). We might not have mathematical proofs that programs conform to certain constraints, which is a subject of current research, but all programming languages can be described in the lambda calculus, or as a program for the turing machine. So therefore all of them are described. Otherwise the ideas of 'turing complete' and 'universal computation' would be pretty useless.

Here's my uh, line of thought:
  • We have computing machines that all reasonably execute a derivative form of a 'turing machine'.
  • All computer programs that run on said machines can be standardized into a form that would run on such a turing machine.
  • Given enough time and examination (just stepping through the executable code the processor runs, or prodding the binary), any proprietary program could be examined and rewritten in such a form that it can be inspected.
  • Therefore, all programs that run on the computer are completely described, even if the source code isn't generally accessible. That is, they're described in very much the same way and on the same level a lot of systems in physics are described.
  • Despite having a complete description of every action our turing computer performs, we cannot in practice predict how it will act without doing the equivalent of clinical trials, because of the sheer level of interactions between all of the components and programs.

Obviously like, if you see anything obviously wrong feel free to reply or dm me about it.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i remember renting meet joe black on vhs and watching that scene over and over and laughing. why the hell did he just wander out and stand in traffic? cars were flying by him at full speed. goddamn it is so hilarious. lol i totally forgot all about the jamaican scene too

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

alexandriao posted:

Despite having a complete description of every action our turing computer performs, we cannot in practice predict how it will act without doing the equivalent of clinical trials, because of the sheer level of interactions between all of the components and programs.

This is completely wrong and not even slightly what a bug is. Computers will always do exactly as they are told (setting aside hardware faults). Bugs are what happens when the computer does as its told, but not as the programmer intended. Your explanation is on the same level as Musk's understanding of anything to do with engineering.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I can't wait for another derail over idiot poster alexandriao being a complete imbecile on another subject.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Shut up, nerds.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/VSCapcom_OoC/status/1249370653033205762

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

d3lness posted:

This is completely wrong and not even slightly what a bug is. Computers will always do exactly as they are told (setting aside hardware faults).

Wait, where did I say that they wouldn't?

d3lness posted:

Bugs are what happens when the computer does as its told, but not as the programmer intended.

That's... what I described. The computer does exactly as it is told, but the programmer is not and ultimately cannot be simultaneously aware in depth of all of the systems and abstractions present on the computer, and how they will interact. There's literally a term (that I had forgotten) that's extremely related to what I am describing -- 'Mandelbug'. See: This crap, This crap too, Or hell, just this question gives an example of an emergent bug. I didn't intend to say that this is the form of all faults in programming, but it's a source of a hell of a lot of the tangible errors when dealing with computer systems, and what we test to avoid.

d3lness posted:

Your explanation is on the same level as Musk's understanding of anything to do with engineering.

I've been programming for ten years and have written toy compilers and operating systems, so uhh. You know.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Apr 12, 2020

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Are... are they going to put them up their butt?

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/tsJyL2B.png :nws:

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Hello! Not sure if it was in this thread or not, but I've literally signed up to find out what that book was called that was described as the Birdemic of historical writing, it has the peasant being revived by a shovel of dung and so on. I saw it on here somewhere and my crawling the forums hasn't turned it up.

I've got a friend who is a proper history guy and I'd like to get him a copy, cheers in advance :)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

skyelevator posted:

Hello! Not sure if it was in this thread or not, but I've literally signed up to find out what that book was called that was described as the Birdemic of historical writing, it has the peasant being revived by a shovel of dung and so on. I saw it on here somewhere and my crawling the forums hasn't turned it up.

I've got a friend who is a proper history guy and I'd like to get him a copy, cheers in advance :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918745&pagenumber=22&perpage=40#post503980870

(I'll stop spamming now lmao)

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Brilliant, thank you :)

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

ultrafilter posted:

It sounds like you most definitely are disagreeing there. :)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

skyelevator posted:

Since this is the first new register in like a year I think we need to mine them for market data. Find out what SA's potential customer wants from the website.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

FactsAreUseless posted:

Since this is the first new register in like a year I think we need to mine them for market data. Find out what SA's potential customer wants from the website.

It's probably just a Bernie rereg

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

On the one hand, Jamaican Creole is a real language not just a funny way of speaking English. On the other hand, fuckin lol. Was this movie meant to be a comedy? I think I've seen it but remember exactly zero percent of it

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

So this is the film brad pitt practiced his pikey accent for Snatch in

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bike tory posted:

Was this movie meant to be a comedy?

Nobody really knows.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh there's also the peanut butter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xk31NpUX1g

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FactsAreUseless posted:

We have been getting 150 new regs a month for the last year or so.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

https://twitter.com/GoodWillsmith/status/991881094537494528?s=19

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Huh, nice. It's a big website, I guess I just don't notice.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I took a film class in college and I think this was one of the first clips he showed, setting it up with several serious romance scenes first.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm not clear. Was he continuing to take mescaline, or did he take it once and that experience revealed the crabs to him and afterwards he could see them without it?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm not clear. Was he continuing to take mescaline, or did he take it once and that experience revealed the crabs to him and afterwards he could see them without it?

It really sounds like he accidentally tapped into some kind of underlying crab reality and just decided to roll with it.

relax-o-vision
Feb 21, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Once his Insight stat hit 40, the crabs were permanently revealed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Lone Badger posted:

He took it once and then the crab rave lasted a few years.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

It really sounds like he accidentally tapped into some kind of underlying crab reality and just decided to roll with it.

*scuttle

Memento has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Apr 13, 2020

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

relax-o-vision posted:

yea this is some bloodbourne poo poo rite here man :eyepop:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

relax-o-vision posted:

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Wait, other people can't normally see the crabs?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Someone with talent needs to combine They Live with the Dancing Pallbearers. Glasses off, he sees them standing there. Glasses on, they're dancing.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

How da gently caress is this still on the internet?

https://mobile.twitter.com/spiritnght/status/1248083674719047682

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You guys don't see crabs??

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sartre: *tries mescaline*

Sartre for the rest of his life: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-50NdPawLVY

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Goodpancakes posted:

You guys don't see crabs??

:yeeclaw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, but most of those are just Avshalom.