Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If you don't want to make things with the extra starter, keep in mind that you only need a little bit especially if it is sleeping in the fridge. If it stays small you throw away much less. Make it bigger in the days before you want to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
That makes sense. Mine lives in the fridge so it seemed wasteful to throw away so much.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mine currently lives on the table top because I am in the first passionate weeks of sourdough EVERYTHING EVERYDAY.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mediaphage posted:

That looks lovely. I think the instructions that call for 500 are a bit high tbh, it’s always too hot for me regardless of the oven

Thank you and agreed! Definitely hotter than I've ever gone in my oven so it sounded odd to me.

Kenshin posted:

The FWSY breads are 475F, 30 minutes lid on/10-20 off (depending on how brown you like it) so experiment a bit with timings as well

Here's the result from 450 20 on 20 off:

Probably could have gone a little longer but seems good to me. I froze this so didn't cut into it but we shall see later.

Kenshin posted:

Yeah, I highly recommend buying an oven thermometer to find out how off your oven is

I had one of these in my last apartment but it didn't make the move. Haven't found one at my local grocery store so I gotta wait the COVID-Amazon waiting game on it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Doh004 posted:

Thank you and agreed! Definitely hotter than I've ever gone in my oven so it sounded odd to me.

Here's the result from 450 20 on 20 off:

Probably could have gone a little longer but seems good to me. I froze this so didn't cut into it but we shall see later.

I had one of these in my last apartment but it didn't make the move. Haven't found one at my local grocery store so I gotta wait the COVID-Amazon waiting game on it.

Nice. If you have a probe, cook it to like 207°F and you’ll never have to worry about whether it’s done

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

Throw me your bread knife recs. Suffering over here with something I inherited, but is way too small and fidly for the job of cutting sourdough boules.

I'm happy with my Victorinox chef's knife I've had almost 10 years. The bread knife any good?

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-S...s%2C203&sr=8-18

I stand by the 10" Wusthoff super slicer as the one true bread knife.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

My bread knife rec is a Mercer 10" Millennia. $20 retail, stamped high carbon steel with a poly handle. Save the remaining money for chef, paring, and fillet knives.

e: it comes in 8 different colors. how can you not?

Totally Reasonable fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 12, 2020

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Throw me your bread knife recs. Suffering over here with something I inherited, but is way too small and fidly for the job of cutting sourdough boules.

I'm happy with my Victorinox chef's knife I've had almost 10 years. The bread knife any good?

Alton and Cooks recommend that one. I got one based on that, works great.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 12, 2020

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I like the Victorinox bread knife as well. I kind of wish it were more aesthetically pleasing, but it sure cuts bread.

I also have the chef’s knife, paring knife, flexible boning knife, and 12” slicing knife AMA

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Rate my bread!

This used my starter discard from today and the 1-2-3 method (by weight: 1x starter, 2x water, 3x flour, 2% salt by weight of additional flour, or around 1% total weight), ~3 hrs rise, ~1.5 hrs proof in a basket (~68F room temp), then into a preheated (450F) dutch oven. Around 20 mins cover on, 10-15 cover off. Took out of the oven when a thermometer read 206F (one of those bluetooth ones so I could monitor on my phone). I'd say either it was underproofed or I didn't score deep enough before putting the dough in the dutch oven (the little mohawk of bread in the middle is where I scored the loaf). I don't usually get surface bubbles like this one has so I don't know if that was from the dutch oven or not.. I don't normally use one.

Waiting for it to cool to see if it's edible but it looks like it!

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I was thinking of trying some par-baking frozen stuff. I have no idea what I am doing. But I have heard you can like bake bread 75% of the way, then freeze it and whenever you want fresh bread just pop it in the oven for the rest of the time x 2. Is this a decent thing for someone with no baking experience to try? I just want to make like a handful of smaller dinner ish rolls to try.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bread freezes fine without any of that mess. If you were doing a pizza or something that's when you par cook

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

bread freezes fine without any of that mess. If you were doing a pizza or something that's when you par cook

But wouldn't it give like a tastier, fresh baked flavor?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was trying to figure out how to retort constructively but you managed to say it better. Some things then:
1. Yes, that browning looks like something somebody would pay for.
2. Anything anybody says about the outside has to be compared to how it looked and tasted when you busted it open. I've had some great crusts that covered a Superfund site.
3. It looks like you could have scored it a little bit better since I'm seeing a scraggly bit on the right side that makes it look like it kind of burst apart. Some people love those little crusty love handles but I'm guessing you didn't mean to cause it.
4. If you're trying to make it more brown, consider switching to a dough that is more basic/alkaline. I thought you wrote that you were doing something acidic and that's going to make it tougher to make it more brown. That'll remove one thing from the problem you're worried about right now.
5. If you want specific feedback then you'll want to target a specific style of bread and talk among its enthusiasts.

I'm saying this as somebody that doesn't tend to make artisan loaves much so I'm not God's gift to them or anything but I don't think I said anything out of my wheelhouse.

Just wanted to thank you for this post, much appreciated! You are bang on concerning the scoring, I suck at it. Which is weird, because I'm a giant knife snob and have ridiculously sharp knives at all times. But for some reason I'm just not getting a clean cut.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Taima posted:

Just wanted to thank you for this post, much appreciated! You are bang on concerning the scoring, I suck at it. Which is weird, because I'm a giant knife snob and have ridiculously sharp knives at all times. But for some reason I'm just not getting a clean cut.

Use a wet blade to score if you aren't already.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Does anyone have a recommendation for an oven thermometer? I suspected my oven was running cold, so I bought one of whatever kind somewhere (I forget where) and it reads all over the place. I'd say it is +/- 100F in its reading. I just tried a recipe for hot cross buns that called for 400F and 15 minutes and my thermometer showed 450F the whole time while it took 45 minutes to get any semblance of color on the buns. They also smelled raw until about 5 minutes before I pulled them out, and they measured 210F with a different thermometer when they came out. Anyway, mine seems like trash and I want a better one.

Just before that I did some potatoes at 450F and they barely picked up any color after an hour.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Anne Whateley posted:

If you keep it in the freezer, it should last at least a few years, shouldn't it?

I was under the impression that freezing yeast kills it, but I should probably have researched that before assuming it, especially considering how impossible it is to kill a starter culture. :downs:

Piss Meridian posted:

keep in mind that even if 99% of the yeast dies, you should still be able to revive it by making a sponge

I've been following Flour Water Salt Yeast's poolish-based breads a lot recently, even if my active yeast is going on a few months past best by date in the fridge, it's still been working well in pre-ferments. I've had some duds as well, but I'm not sure if that was botched shaping, proofing or something else. Maybe this thread will have insight, actually.

For comparison's sake, same recipe, but successful loaf (no crumb shot :saddowns:):

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Skyarb posted:

But wouldn't it give like a tastier, fresh baked flavor?

Fresh still warm bread where the crumb may or may not be set, it won't. It'll be as good as a fresh loaf fully cooled. Let it cool before freezing.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

I like the Victorinox bread knife as well. I kind of wish it were more aesthetically pleasing, but it sure cuts bread.

I also have the chef’s knife, paring knife, flexible boning knife, and 12” slicing knife AMA

I think you can get them with wood handles. I’ve seen some in different colors as well.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an oven thermometer? I suspected my oven was running cold, so I bought one of whatever kind somewhere (I forget where) and it reads all over the place. I'd say it is +/- 100F in its reading. I just tried a recipe for hot cross buns that called for 400F and 15 minutes and my thermometer showed 450F the whole time while it took 45 minutes to get any semblance of color on the buns. They also smelled raw until about 5 minutes before I pulled them out, and they measured 210F with a different thermometer when they came out. Anyway, mine seems like trash and I want a better one.

Just before that I did some potatoes at 450F and they barely picked up any color after an hour.

Unless you already have a grill thermometer, or you’re planning on leaving it in your oven in perpetuity, I’d recommend the Maverick Wireless BBQ thermometer. It has two probes: one for food; one for your oven/grill/bbq. So you can use it to calibrate your oven, plus roast meats, on the grill, smoker, etc. I use the poo poo out of this thing.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Dangerllama posted:

Unless you already have a grill thermometer, or you’re planning on leaving it in your oven in perpetuity, I’d recommend the Maverick Wireless BBQ thermometer. It has two probes: one for food; one for your oven/grill/bbq. So you can use it to calibrate your oven, plus roast meats, on the grill, smoker, etc. I use the poo poo out of this thing.
Do you just snake the lead for the probe out the oven door and let it transmit to the base station thing? Or is there a more elegant way that my stupid brain is missing?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Aunt Beth posted:

Do you just snake the lead for the probe out the oven door and let it transmit to the base station thing? Or is there a more elegant way that my stupid brain is missing?

Just snake the wire out of the oven door. It'll seal fine.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I use a thermoworks dot and just snake the probe out of the door it seals around it just fine.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Thanks for the helpful thread. This is turning into actual fun with practice.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What are y’all’s favorite non-stale non-storebought breads for making french toast?

I have this killer recipe I’ve been making for breakfast the past couple of days that I’d love to try using a homemade sweet bread of some kind. Or any homemade bread, really.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Brioche or challa

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thumposaurus posted:

Brioche or challa

Those were my exact thoughts!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Thumposaurus posted:

Brioche or challa

Seconded. I'm literally eating this right now.

Dangerllama posted:

Thanks!

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Fresh still warm bread where the crumb may or may not be set, it won't. It'll be as good as a fresh loaf fully cooled. Let it cool before freezing.

Can you explain this to me more. I really can't wrap my head around how finishing baking a frozen partially baked loaf wouldn't taste better and fresher than just heating up a fully cooked frozen loaf.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Thumposaurus posted:

Brioche or challa

Any enriched bread but I’m very partial to using cinnamon raisin

Skyarb posted:

Can you explain this to me more. I really can't wrap my head around how finishing baking a frozen partially baked loaf wouldn't taste better and fresher than just heating up a fully cooked frozen loaf.

Water will move, wetter breads might suffer texture issues with ice loving things up, but that’s mostly a guess. And I wouldn’t store anything parbaked for super long in a frost-free freezer.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

I. M. Gei posted:

What are y’all’s favorite non-stale non-storebought breads for making french toast?

I have this killer recipe I’ve been making for breakfast the past couple of days that I’d love to try using a homemade sweet bread of some kind. Or any homemade bread, really.

A sourdough loaf made with a white/wheat flour blend and incorporate toasted walnuts into the dough. Hardy, funky, with flavor and textural contrast provided by the walnuts.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

I was gonna buy a nice bread knife but i remembered I had this dumb thing in a cupboard and it was a world class bread knife. Big long wide serrated blade.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thumposaurus posted:

Brioche or challa

I haven't made it at home yet, but commercial milk bread makes fantastic toast. (There isn't any milk in it; it starts with a kind of roux.)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

quick question:

is there a sourdough starter effort post in here somewhere? I'm happy to go read it, I just don't want to page through 120 pages to find it only to discover it isn't there. I'm thinking of trying, yet again, to get a sourdough starter going. It's something I've tried and failed at a loving lot in the past, so I'm kind of hoping there's a goon idiot's guide version.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe

(You don't have to use (and probably can't find) their branded flour, but it's good stuff.)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe

(You don't have to use (and probably can't find) their branded flour, but it's good stuff.)

OK, second question: they call for whole wheat flower. Is that fully necessary? I've got a ton of AP white and I don't object to getting some whole wheat, but my local stores are picked the gently caress over for flour. If I really need the whole wheat I can just punt on this until after the 'rona, but I'm kind of stuck at home right now so I have time to get started on it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

White flour can work but it might take longer whole wheat and rye both have extra wild yeasts that occur in them naturally. The sifting and bleaching processes that produce white flour kill a lot of these off.
You can throw a handful of raisins in the bottom of whatever container your starting your starter in as a way to kick start the process.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've been using this bagel recipe to make "amazing chewy bagels" that nail that bagel flavor as well. However, I'm having trouble getting the dough as smooth as it is in the recipe, most likely because I'm mixing by hand rather than using a stand mixer like the recipe recommends. What could I adjust to try to get a smoother dough so these can look as good as they taste?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Splinter posted:

I've been using this bagel recipe to make "amazing chewy bagels" that nail that bagel flavor as well. However, I'm having trouble getting the dough as smooth as it is in the recipe, most likely because I'm mixing by hand rather than using a stand mixer like the recipe recommends. What could I adjust to try to get a smoother dough so these can look as good as they taste?

Muscle up, buttercup. Put your body into that knead.

edit VVVV Or that.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Let autolyse do the work, let the dough rest often and just fold it a few times every few minutes.