Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

As I recall the only First Contact CG model that was lost was the Norway class. Paramount asked ILM to hand over its CG files to the effects company working on DS9 at the time--Digital Muse, I think?--and then there was a computer glitch or some poo poo.

Yeah, you're right. If I recall the Norway was lost but once they managed to get the others imported to their own software the Saber and the Steamrunner were too low-quality to actually feature as more than distant background, even with DS9 being in SD in the 90s. Maybe there was some extra stuff, bumpmapping or material rendering properties or something, that got lost in the convert, or maybe ILM had just been good at hiding how poo poo they looked in the film.

Here's a Saber render from the show model that Drexler did once:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, you're right. If I recall the Norway was lost but once they managed to get the others imported to their own software the Saber and the Steamrunner were low-quality to actually feature as more than distant background, even with DS9 being in SD in the 90s. Maybe there was some extra stuff, bumpmapping or material rendering properties or something, that got lost in the convert, or maybe ILM had just been good at hiding how poo poo they looked in the film.

Here's a Saber render from the show model that Drexler did once:

Is that a show render or is that from loving Bridge Commander? Holy poo poo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm beginning to think the switch to more angular greebley ships is just because curves are more expensive

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love that we live in an age where somebody loving around on their desktop can render visual effects at par with if not better than official productions

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It helps that fan communities create and share. Like, anyone can go download high-quality ships each of which other fans had poured months of their own lives into crafting, to make their own videos.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

It helps that fan communities create and share. Like, anyone can go download high-quality ships each of which other fans had poured months of their own lives into crafting, to make their own videos.

Just imagine if media companies would PAY them to do the thing they are doing anyway so we can loving see it in a real show

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

That money needs to go to a billion executive producers and pointless cameos.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Many of those new ships exist retroactively by their design. Like despite being introduced in First Contact the Akira is clearly a contemporary of the Galaxy, while the Nova is a contemporary of the Sovereign. Or in DS9 they introduce the Centaur, which is shaped like the Miranda but uses Excelsior parts - we're meant to assume that Centaurs have been floating around for decades and were made soon after Excelsior was, not that they're brand new. A lot of the explosion of designs later on in the 24th century kinda fills out the past rather than assuming that Starfleet went crazy in the design department a year before First Contact came out.

You're right that there should be some new classes and a new 2399 aesthetic and design style, but Starfleet has been shown to keep ships for a long time, and the bulk of the fleet should absolutely be recognisable.

I mean, hell, with how long the old ships were kept around, there still ought to be Galaxy class ships still kicking.

Brawnfire posted:

The Dominion war forced the Federation to swap out to cheaper, less-powerful weapons capacitors in order to boost production numbers. The unfortunate result? The kitten-weak phaser sounds of present day.

It warms my heart knowing I'm not the only one cranky about modern space opera sound effects.

The Bloop posted:

I'm beginning to think the switch to more angular greebley ships is just because curves are more expensive

But it's all CG now, how can they be significantly more expensive? Are we still worried about polygon counts in the year 2020?? :psyduck:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Michael Chabon really seems like an idiot

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

FuturePastNow posted:

Michael Chabon really seems like an idiot

His idea of show-running by putting important stuff like "Wtf happened to the ExB's? and the Romulan dude" in his Instagram posts is weird.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Yeah, this nationally renowned Pulitzer and Hugo award winning career novelist seems like a real retard.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, this nationally renowned Pulitzer and Hugo award winning career novelist seems like a real retard.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

MikeJF posted:

I think Chabon said on insta that the all-similar-ships fleet was part of a big rush rebuild-the-fleet thing of cranking out mass produced midsize ships after the Dominion wiped out like two thirds of Starfleet, but to be fair he uses the Dominion War as an excuse for a lot of changes in Picard considering it's never mentioned.
This Chabon guy is better at writing excuses than writing episodes of Star Trek.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, this nationally renowned Pulitzer and Hugo award winning career novelist seems like a real Forums User Drink-Mix Man

Love the new word filter

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Building a fleet of same ships isn’t necessarily the worst idea... maybe the Federation thought it worked perfectly well for every other major power in the galaxy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I mean, hell, with how long the old ships were kept around, there still ought to be Galaxy class ships still kicking.

You kidding? All those blew up. Starfleet went through them as fast as the OG 12 Connies.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

CaveGrinch posted:

Building a fleet of same ships isn’t necessarily the worst idea... maybe the Federation thought it worked perfectly well for every other major power in the galaxy.

It's like in Command & Conquer where you build an army of Mammoth Tanks just to flex.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

CaveGrinch posted:

Engineers in the shows keep saying how their ship works differently from spec and from other classes. Uniformity in design probably allows for less wasted time when transferring people from different ships.

There was supposed to be 4 different class of ships in the stand-off scene, but they only managed to get two on screen and they looked very similar.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It also didn’t help that River’s dialogue made it sound like there was only one class.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

No it doesn't. It just reuses old designs.

As the franchise got a bigger budget starfleet was shown to be designing new ships like every 2 years. We went from 'there's like 5 galaxy class and the rest are mirandas' to 'now we have Akiras, Nova's, Steamrunners, Sovereigns, Defiants, Intrepids'.

This poo poo sucks and it's exactly the problem with its blinkered fanbase. No imagination. You only look backwards.

Yeah dude I think you got it.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

It's definitely good to have new ships, but there should be a mix with some old in there too. We're talking about what, 25 years after Nemesis? That's not long in the lifespan of ships. We don't have to see Mirandas and Excelsiors and Ambassadors, but maybe have a couple Intrepids and Promethesuses and Sovereigns with a bunch of completely new ships.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MichiganCubbie posted:

It's definitely good to have new ships, but there should be a mix with some old in there too. We're talking about what, 25 years after Nemesis? That's not long in the lifespan of ships. We don't have to see Mirandas and Excelsiors and Ambassadors, but maybe have a couple Intrepids and Promethesuses and Sovereigns with a bunch of completely new ships.

We don't talk about what ex-Admiral Janeway did with the fleet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Oh yeah, the oldest Galaxies would be 36 years old by Picard, that's not that old for a class like that. And Sovvies would be 27 years.

Astroman posted:

You kidding? All those blew up. Starfleet went through them as fast as the OG 12 Connies.

Pft, did you see how they went in the Dominion War? They were tanks. Cruising along, kicking rear end, taking no damage and just blasting poo poo. All the Galaxies that got lost over the years were because of Weird Special poo poo.

They seemed to deliberately construct fleet shots with galaxies as these big slow-moving indestructible beasts that just slowly plowed along blasting everything in their way, we saw a bunch but I don't think we ever saw any damaged in the fleet shots.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 12, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
My favourite part of the new ships is the stretched low res window textures over the edge of the saucer section

Love to see modern VFX get dunked on by 20 year old episodes of Babylon 5

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I think they avoid having other Galaxies ever since there was one on DS9 that got blown up and they were inundated with fan complaints that they blew up the Enterprise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

marktheando posted:

I think they avoid having other Galaxies ever since there was one on DS9 that got blown up and they were inundated with fan complaints that they blew up the Enterprise.

Well they weren't allowed to have the sovereign class in the fleet scenes in season six and seven of DS9 despite ILM already having made a good CG model because it was the hero ship and we didn't want to confuse people

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

They seemed to deliberately construct fleet shots with galaxies as these big slow-moving indestructible beasts that just slowly plowed along blasting everything in their way, we saw a bunch but I don't think we ever saw any damaged in the fleet shots.

We see at least one take some gnarly hits, during that one battle where they were fighting the invincible orbital defense grid and had to trick the defense grid into shooting up its own power source. But, again, that was from the invincible orbital defense grid that was pasting every other ship in one shot (except Defiant lol).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MikeJF posted:

Well they weren't allowed to have the sovereign class in the fleet scenes in season six and seven of DS9 despite ILM already having made a good CG model because it was the hero ship and we didn't want to confuse people

Yeah, it's like when the USS Dwight D Eisenhower comes in to dock and everyone is shouting "HOW IS THE NIMITZ HERE? SHOULDN'T IT BE IN THE PACIFIC?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CaveGrinch posted:

I'd be more okay with it if they didn't look like crap... oh and if the VFX guys didn't pile them in so drat close and right behind each other lol.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

marktheando posted:

That happened at the end of DS9 season 2, but later in the same series they had fleet actions where we saw multiple Galaxy-class ships.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I think RLM are way too mad at Picard, but I still enjoyed this immensely. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao99bNrJ_1Q

Also, really looking forward to that Plinkett review.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 13, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I forgot how many suicides this season has (attempted or successful)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What was the previous record for gory suicides in a Star Trek season? One?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish we could get a Kelvin TNG movie with Nick Cage as Data.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Arglebargle III posted:

What was the previous record for gory suicides in a Star Trek season? One?

'Gory suicide' as in 'on camera gore'?

Tighclops posted:

Love to see modern VFX get dunked on by 20 year old episodes of Babylon 5

https://i1.wp.com/multiversitystatic.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2019/08/Babylon-5-s2-ep13-Featured.jpg.jpg :vv:
nonetheless I love b5 with all my heart for what it is.

ps comparing b5 gfx to it's contemporary 'high budget' games B5 is better in most cases!

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 13, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Yes. I recall the captain of the Reliant shooting himself.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

https://i1.wp.com/multiversitystatic.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2019/08/Babylon-5-s2-ep13-Featured.jpg.jpg :vv:
nonetheless I love b5 with all my heart for what it is.

ps comparing b5 gfx to it's contemporary 'high budget' games B5 is better in most cases!

Lol you picked the one shot in the whole show that looks the most like the ships from Picard

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Actually Discovery probably held the previous record for gory suicide from that time loop episode, but Picard is definitely at the top of the ranking.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Suicide :suicide101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah so Picard has an insurmountable lead in on-screen gory suicides, while DS9 follows up with some Jem'Hadar that kill themselves off-screen and we see the bodies.