Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SoftNum posted:

The only game of that era that doesn't get consistently poo poo on by the board game haute bourgeoisie is Carc and I don't know why:

* It's basically roll and move, or at least has the bad components of that, since you can't actually plan your turn until you see your tile.
* It's gotten like a billion expansions and half of them are to fix the way the base game is fundamentally broken.
* About 1/3rd of the decisions in the game are actually interesting, and you only got the chance to really attack a few times a game.

I hate carc ama.

Carc is one of only 2 of my early games in the hobby that I still really like (the other being Agricola) but we mostly play 2p with only the River and Abbot expansions. Our games usually devolve into a lot of playing chicken on various scoring opportunities and it makes nearly every turn engaging. Sure you still get the throwaway tile draws sometimes, but that really is part of the game in that it forces map expansion and opens more opportunities for all players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Samurai is likely the better alternative to Carc. At first I'm tempted to say T&E, but I think Samurai's usage of influence is closer to Carc's majority scoring.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There are definite similarities of the game of chicken present in all three, same with Blue Lagoon. Especially at 3 and 4 you quickly realize your tokens are headed to a standoff with 1-2 other players and someone is getting cut off.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I would say Go, T&E, and Hive are all similar, depending on which aspects of the game you are prioritizing. Go in particular has the trading of tempo across different battlefields you are describing.

e: And as far as some number of your turns (I would argue about half) being just expanding the map is fair, it makes the game go and I agree.. but it's like being the cave in Vast at that point. And it's still not super interesting. Also in 3+ it makes for some forced kingmaking in a lot of positions (but tbf most people don't try and defend carc as anything except a 2p experence)

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 12, 2020

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Chill la Chill posted:

When a friend asks you to get some lunch and says they want to get McDonald's, is it wrong to suggest an alternative burger place that has much better quality? How about a better film than the latest disney marvel release? There's this idea that no game is better than a bad game, and it's perfectly fine to refuse an offer to play CAH or Catan when you can think of better alternatives.

So what you're saying is that what you want out of lunch is more important than what they want? I mean, sometimes I really want McDonalds' fries. (In fact, lemme get two large fries at this drive-thru. Gotta keep my strength up!) They're almost the perfect combination of grease, sugar, salt, and carbs. And you basically cannot get them anywhere else, nor can you feasibly make them at home. The tools required* to make those particular fries just aren't really publically available, nor really worth it when you can just, you know, roll on over to the restaurant.

It is perfectly fine to refuse to play a given game if you don't want to, but often the game itself isn't really the reason you're being invited and judging your participation on your perception of the game's quality...Well, anyway. I guess my point is that no, the idea that 'no game is inherently better than a bad game' is both pretentious and shortsighted. Games in general aren't solitary experiences, even solo games. Why else would we be compelled to share our experiences if not for wanting that social component that board games in particular excel at? To discount it entirely seems...counterproductive. Even when assessing a game's quality, despite there not being a great numerical or measurable way to express it.

* - they're double-blanched, for one, and mostly cooked before they ever hit the fryer. The caramelization of the sugar in the second blanch is part of what makes them more consistently crispy and for longer than other fries and especially the ones you make at home. But I digress.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just eat KFC instead.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Carc pro tip: draw a new tile at the end of your turn instead of the beginning. Less downtime, better knowledge of alternatives if your planned spot gets stolen.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
these analogies about fast food suck

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Snooze Cruise posted:

these analogies about fast food suck

like soda through a straw

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep

Infinitum posted:

I'll trade you a Sheep for these 2 screenshots

Played some TTS tonight. Fugitive board is very good, as previously mentioned. Just wanted to show off the board because it's cool and good.

I am 100% grabbing a copy to play IRL based off my time with it. Very fun little game.

Unless there is a deluxe version that i'm not aware of, that board is 100% product of the TTS mod and is not included in the game. The game itself is fine but without any extra cards it's entirely to easy for the marshal to win. The fugitive is heavily reliant on bluffing but resources are to hard to come by to bluff enough. Meanwhile all the marshal has to do is just keep draw from the middle pile before the fugitive is even close and will severally limit the fugitive's option.

Losem fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 12, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Redundant posted:

Game night tomorrow is looking like it will be Catan. I've somehow never bothered to play it despite it being a "timeless classic", and I'm not entirely convinced it will stand up to more modern games which have refined their systems, but my friends deal with my more outlandish gaming suggestions so I can take my medicine and roll some dice to get some resources (or maybe not).

Definitely worth playing just so you can see what the fuss was/is about. It isn't horrible by any stretch but can drag at times and is prone to spiteful non-trades when people feel jilted. And then when people get mean about the robber... I get a Catan craving every now and then.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

SoftNum posted:

The only game of that era that doesn't get consistently poo poo on by the board game haute bourgeoisie is Carc

I also don't get the appeal of Carcassonne, but there's plenty of other games from early board game times that I still love and would play anytime: Ra, T&E, Caylus, Puerto Rico, Power Grid, El Grande. I think most of these are also considered good to great by the wider polity of boardgaming.

Fart Car '97 posted:

5-6 player catan has a rule that states that every player has the opportunity to build at the end of a turn, before the next turn begins, precisely to avoid the scenario you described. People's complaints about getting unlucky with dice, or being that one guy that gets hosed are completely valid. But you all just didn't read the rules.

Yeah, this explains a lot. I was taught the game, I never actually read the rules, but that's how it's been played forever at my LGS. Probably a Monopoly type situation where everyone learned to play from someone else without reading the rules and it just stuck. FWIW, I've also played with 4p game and still don't like it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

silvergoose posted:

like soda through a straw

Lol

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Ojetor posted:

I also don't get the appeal of Carcassonne, but there's plenty of other games from early board game times that I still love and would play anytime: Ra, T&E, Caylus, Puerto Rico, Power Grid, El Grande. I think most of these are also considered good to great by the wider polity of boardgaming.

I forget Ra and T&E are as old as they are so those are good points. IDK if Caylus counts since it's pretty far after the rest of those. I never hear about El Grande so IDK what to make of it.

And people poo poo on Puerto Rico and Power Grid like all the time, which is partially my frustration cause I love Power Grid and people are like "but maaaaaaath".

(FWIW imo there's no reason to play puerto rico since rftg and san juan and 'grick and such exist.)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Carcassonne's only saving grace is that it's relatively short so you can power through a round of it to indulge your friends who have invested in memorizing the entire tile bank and then play a better game afterward.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SoftNum posted:

I never hear about El Grande so IDK what to make of it.

Many people still consider it best in class for area control/majority but like many of the old classics it has pretty strict player count requirements.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

El Grande is still one of the best pure area majority games. Carcassonne is still a good intro game because it has so few rules. It's about as rules heavy than Kingdomino.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The strangest thing about Catan, beyond its endurance, is that there are tournaments of it. Tournaments! How? Why? Who? Etc?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mojo Jojo posted:

The strangest thing about Catan, beyond its endurance, is that there are tournaments of it. Tournaments! How? Why? Who? Etc?

:shrug: There are tournaments for Monopoly and Rock Paper Scissors, so nothing surprises me.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

food court bailiff posted:

Carcassonne's only saving grace is that it's relatively short so you can power through a round of it to indulge your friends who have invested in memorizing the entire tile bank and then play a better game afterward.

I find the Carc iPad app that shows that tile bank to be pretty solid, I've binged it on flights before. Makes it way more cut throat.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Chill la Chill posted:

When a friend asks you to get some lunch and says they want to get McDonald's, is it wrong to suggest an alternative burger place that has much better quality? How about a better film than the latest disney marvel release? There's this idea that no game is better than a bad game, and it's perfectly fine to refuse an offer to play CAH or Catan when you can think of better alternatives.

Of course you can argue that nobody can ever truly know what better is, but I'm not willing to bat for McDonald's or summer blockbusters as a bastion of quality instead of hallmarks of mediocrity.

Counter-proposing a better X when someone is trying to invite you to a specifically chosen activity is incredibly presumptuous and rude between anything other than close friends. If you don't like McDonald's, the graceful response is "No thanks."

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Infinitum posted:

I'll trade you a Sheep for these 2 screenshots

Played some TTS tonight. Fugitive board is very good, as previously mentioned. Just wanted to show off the board because it's cool and good.

I am 100% grabbing a copy to play IRL based off my time with it. Very fun little game.

Also played Pandemic, which I had not had a chance to play the copy I was gifted at Christmas. We lost! Games rough!

Can you link the workshop pages for these two games?

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

SoftNum posted:

(FWIW imo there's no reason to play puerto rico since rftg and san juan and 'grick and such exist.)
‘Grick is an entirely different style of game, and I’d argue that Puerto Rico still has a place. Rftg has simultaneous role selection and hidden knowledge, which makes the interaction about educated reads. Puerto Rico has no hidden information (don’t @ me about victory points, once seen always seen is the only way to play), and reactive role selection makes reading the other players moves feel different enough that it’s worth playing. Trying to decide if you can fob off a crucial mayor on a person downstream feels way different than whether or not you want to ensure a turn take place or not in RFTG.

That being said Puerto Rico has bad issues with seating order imbalance, and auctioning off seating order only exacerbates the bigger issue of varied skill levels affecting how the game plays out (if there is a lower skill player at the table, the person downstream from them will almost certainly win). But if you’re exploring with a consistent group over repeated plays, it still totally has a place IMO.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Magnetic North posted:

:shrug: There are tournaments for Monopoly and Rock Paper Scissors, so nothing surprises me.

There's an esports version of Farming Simulator now. There's no more surprises to be had.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Playing Catan was fine, I made some bad early decisions in the first game (terrible second settlement placement) which cost me dearly but I managed to drag it back to second place. Second game was closer but some sketchy trading gave the one experienced player a runaway lead and the game ended fairly early. I can see how it drew a lot of people to the hobby but can also appreciate that it has been surpassed by other games. It was still a fun and enjoyable experience with friends and a casual way of spending a lockdown evening.

We're a group of friends so I'm not going to poo poo on their choices or refuse to play (unless it's CAH, then maybe I will politely decline) since I'm more interested in chatting to them and the game is just the facilitator for that. Next time I will make the choice and I expect them same sort of acceptance from them even if they think it's a bit heavy/thinky. Compromises aren't the end of the world and Catan is still a pretty good game.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CAH is worse than Catan by a lot, it has many sins and among the worst is how it only ends when a majority of the group gets bored of it which, depending on how drunk everyone is, can be a long, long time after the first person gets bored of it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
CAH is barely a game, but at least Catan doesn't have "ironic" racism

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Instead it has veiled racism via colonialism?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

silvergoose posted:

The puerto rico post is a few posts up hth.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

silvergoose posted:

It's not explicit, just heavily implied! :v:

I'm getting dragged by a bunch of brain geniuses on Facebook right now for saying that CAH is a garbage game for garbage people. Someone suggested that the game is only racist if you play it with racist people, which is a pretty interesting take for a game that includes Holocaust references and a "big black dick" card

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

canyoneer posted:

I'm getting dragged by a bunch of brain geniuses on Facebook right now for saying that CAH is a garbage game for garbage people. Someone suggested that the game is only racist if you play it with racist people, which is a pretty interesting take for a game that includes Holocaust references and a "big black dick" card

Even if you ignore the more problematic aspects of CAH, it's still just apples to apples where you don't get to write the jokes. The punchlines are in the game. You don't get to be funny, it's funny for you.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

SoftNum posted:

The puerto rico post is a few posts up hth.

I mean that's less veiled.

canyoneer posted:

Yeah I basically meant heavily implied by "veiled".

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

canyoneer posted:

yeah CAH’s actual biggest sin is giving white libs a pass to let the mask slip

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just played my first 4p game of root, on TTS - Cats, Birds (me), Alliance, and Otters. Alliance won, but everyone else was 1 turn from victory. Every game I had played before that was 2p.

Jesus that's a good 4p game.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I prefer Onion Rings.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

That reminds me. Do any of you Root players prefer to play as Vagabond? I don't think that I've seen anyone who plays as or against it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Trying to compare lunch with playing a board game is super dumb.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Just played my first 4p game of root, on TTS - Cats, Birds (me), Alliance, and Otters. Alliance won, but everyone else was 1 turn from victory. Every game I had played before that was 2p.

Jesus that's a good 4p game.

Now do it again with Moles instead of Cats! Best mix I've played so far.

Shadow225 posted:

That reminds me. Do any of you Root players prefer to play as Vagabond? I don't think that I've seen anyone who plays as or against it.

One of our players likes it because she likes to go low conflict with heavy questing and gifting players cards for items. She always waits until really late game to stab someone and it's pretty good. We don't mind the Vagabond like many seem to (beyond me thinking he's boring to have in the game compared to other factions).

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 13, 2020

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

silvergoose posted:

The island in catan has no indigenous population. Pretty sure it's hard to be racist against an uninhabited island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

CRISPYBABY posted:

It's kinda funny that you can just assume any "classic" (pre bg boom) game is bad and it usually works.

It kinda makes me more impressed with handful of mainsteam games from back in the day that actually hold up. 'Acquire' would be the first one that comes my head. I played it once and had fun and then was like wait, this is from the loving 60s?

I know exactly what you mean, and although it's literally all I bang on about in this thread, it really does make Dune all that more impressive!