Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Inacio posted:

cockpit vr games are seriously underrated and i need more.

House of the Dying Sun is a fun, albeit short space combat game. Controls perfectly well with an Xbox pad.

RaceRoom Racing Experience has fun, free content (basically would have been called shareware 30 years ago). Its sound design is loving superb, and it's a somewhat old engine, so VR performance is good.

iRacing is a tryhard online racing league (though also good AI) that often has new subscription discounts. You pay a base fee for some basic content, and then buy licenses to whatever other tracks and cars you want. It's currently surging in popularity due to its events being televised in lieu of actual NASCAR and poo poo. By far the best online racing game, between the paywall and the safety rating system discouraging poo poo driving.

The IL-2 Battle of [Stuff] series has great VR WW2 combat. The physics are realistic, but the controls are simplified (you don't have to flip a bunch of switches like in DCS World).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh neat, grabbing that!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Hell yes excited to try this!

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

4Coronas posted:

Dirt Rally is the poo poo, hook it up with a steering wheel and it feels intense as gently caress

Y'all got me interested, and I found a logitech G27 wheel/shifter/pedals near me on craigslist for $150. Should I pull the trigger?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Kaedric posted:

Y'all got me interested, and I found a logitech G27 wheel/shifter/pedals near me on craigslist for $150. Should I pull the trigger?

Yes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This afternoon I was 'visiting' a VR museum. I've seen another before, but this was better. It's called The OmniGallery. It has 60 classic paintings, and sculptures too. I was surprised at the high quality of some of them, you could get close and see the brush strokes.

It made me wish some big company like Google or FB releases a big compilation like this for VR, with thousands of works, using really high res scans/photos (I guess museums already do that?). For example here I found that the Met released 400k works, and Google has an Art project with 50K.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

It's kind of puzzling to me, too. Would a port to Oculus pc would be so hard? They already have the 360º videos in their servers to stream, just need a frontend UI.

Speaking of Oculus and their games and apps approach, I have to say I'm kind of disappointed with their games lineup. Several years funding a pair of dozen of games, and they mostly mediocre or even kind of suck? Wilson's Heart, Defector, Asgard Wrath, Journey of the Gods, Feral Rites, Farlands, Lies Beneath...
The big exception is Lone Echo. Shadow Point was nice, too. I still have to play Stormlands.

And coming back to the PC side of things, I'm trying stuff from their store with the 'Free' tag and man, there are some poo poo in there, and that's already striking to me given that the pure quantity is still much lower than Steam. Very low efforts from people who thought with almost no competition there was no need for more. It's no strange they decided to be more exclusive for the Quest. In fact there are a few apps in there that they don't even work anymore, it seems the servers are down at this point, they should retire those.
Yeah there's a ton of cheap shovelware poo poo on their store, it's annoying and dumb.

However, re their big funded games:
1. how dare you, Farlands was amazing, the creatures were so cute :3: (also the visuals on it were exceptional, textures were incredibly lifelike)
2. whilst many of the Oculus-funded games are pretty flawed, there are plenty of decent ones worth playing.

I haven't played Asgard's Wrath, Stormlands or Defector. I heard Defector was very limited in terms of what you can do, more of a cinematic experience type thing, which seems to be a feature of the stuff Oculus has funded unfortunately. Wilson's Heart was good if you didn't mind that it was more of a cinematic noire experience than a proper game; I really enjoyed it and think it's worth a look.

The Mage's Tale is pretty good, in terms of mechanics it feels pretty unpolished but the scale of the game, some of the gameplay (pretty cool fights later on), and the visual polish of the world, make it worth a look.

The ones I actually consider to be better than just 'mediocre/good' are:
Brass Tactics - great RTS. Incredibly satisfying, I played it a lot. They could have done some more work on balance issues but it's still a lot of fun and you can get some great intense skirmishes going on.
From Other Suns - way underrated
Arktika.1 - polished, good atmosphere and decent gameplay, people hate on it because of lack of free movement
Robo Recall
The Climb (as long as you don't mind that it's more of a nice-looking/atmospheric experience rather than a heavily gameified experience)
The Unspoken (wish they would do another singleplayer episode but the company was bought by Sony I think)
Chronos
Edge of Nowhere
Dead & Buried
...and all their Oculus Studios narrative experiences.

Lemming posted:

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1002568761818284032?s=20

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1003436611269480451?s=20

According to Carmack it's not straightforward to port because of the way they built it, and according to them it likely wouldn't be that successful on PC anyway
The second point is crap; no-one used Oculus Cinema or whatever it was because they made it to only support extremely limited file types and never updated it in any way. It was actually the best cinema app visually and I still have a bunch of 3D movies I had to convert to use in it.

The real reason for them not porting this stuff to PC is the same reason they have effectively abandoned Oculus Home, its social features, and development of Dash (those are all in Beta I seem to think) - they just don't give much of a drat, unfortunately.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

This afternoon I was 'visiting' a VR museum. I've seen another before, but this was better. It's called The OmniGallery. It has 60 classic paintings, and sculptures too. I was surprised at the high quality of some of them, you could get close and see the brush strokes.

It made me wish some big company like Google or FB releases a big compilation like this for VR, with thousands of works, using really high res scans/photos (I guess museums already do that?). For example here I found that the Met released 400k works, and Google has an Art project with 50K.

Oh, I found another one
https://store.steampowered.com/app/774231/The_Kremer_Collection_VR_Museum/ - which is paid in Steam and Free on Oculus because...reasons? - Great picture quality, polished, a gallery dedicated to Dutch painters.
Also one for Finnish painters, this was is more amateur, but hey, free

Also, I'm growing accustomed to the double-tap see-through. Super useful to unstuck the cable from the chair, take the 360 pad, turn of an alarm fro the phone that start ringing, etc.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 11, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Walking Dead Saints & Sinners 21% off deal in GMG
https://www.greenmangaming.com/es/games/the-walking-dead-saints-sinners-pc/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lemming posted:

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1002568761818284032?s=20

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1003436611269480451?s=20

According to Carmack it's not straightforward to port because of the way they built it, and according to them it likely wouldn't be that successful on PC anyway

I get thats the PR spin, but its BS. Build a PC frontend and a mobile frontend and have them talk to the same back end like, literally every app ever that works on both PC and mobile.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any specific settings etc I should be doing with to minimize latency on virtual desktop for the quest?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

w00tmonger posted:

Any specific settings etc I should be doing with to minimize latency on virtual desktop for the quest?

Use a good wifi router, set the SSID you connect to as 5ghz only, lower the wifi signal bandwidth to 20hz in the router settings, use the lowest acceptable bandwidth on Virtual Desktop, and compare h.265 and h.264 because different GPUs handle them at different latencies (h.265 uses half the bandwidth for the same quality as h.264, but it takes somewhat longer to encode each frame).

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone who plays Beatsaber still - if you feel like it, I'm looking for someone to playtest a map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Kb0e00QXfkWbna7tMMa0Snz15-wNgh7z

The track is 'Motorball' from the Alita soundtrack by Junkie XL. It's an awesome track, I was amazed that no-one had already mapped the thing when I first picked up BS a couple of weeks ago. I think my effort is pretty good at least for a first attempt (I'm a musician IRL so at least the rhythm makes sense).

I asked in the Beatsaber thread but it appears to be pretty dead.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I get thats the PR spin, but its BS. Build a PC frontend and a mobile frontend and have them talk to the same back end like, literally every app ever that works on both PC and mobile.

I would generally agree about stuff being pr spin, but I feel like Carmack specifically has a lot of credibility, he's always been a straight shooter about stuff even when it makes them look bad

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

:( Listing was only 11 hours old but I guess I waited too long. Guy never replied and deleted. Now I shall not know the joys of sim driving.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well, he is kind of agreeing with you in the second tweet. This: "The Shell apps are Android apps, there is no reasonable compatibility layer for that on Windows." means that the current frontend can't be reused and another PC frontend would have to be rebuilt. Which is what you are saying.

---

I clicked on search on the Oculus store to search something and it showed me the more popular searches. From a list of seven or so, some of them were 'Minecraft', 'Roblox', 'Half Life' and 'Alyx'. It made me wonder who the hell doesn't know at this point that the HL series is from Valve, that is going be only on Steam. Then again, the 'Roblox' part gives a clue: young people who don't know Half Life that much.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 11, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is it reasonable to assume the 3070 will be released in October/November for $500-575

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Hadlock posted:

Is it reasonable to assume the 3070 will be released in October/November for $500-575

Literally every time I've anticipated a new card to come out, it's always late, or it sells out immediately and doesn't get restocked for months.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Literally every time I've anticipated a new card to come out, it's always late, or it sells out immediately and doesn't get restocked for months.

The only time I got lucky when trying to get newly released computer hardware was when I nabbed a 1070 for MSRP a week after launch. The 1080s were too hard to get even with using nowinstock.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe? No telling how coronavirus has affected nvidias design and manufacturing process. Don’t assume it’s coming out until they tell you it is

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Maybe? No telling how coronavirus has affected nvidias design and manufacturing process. Don’t assume it’s coming out until they tell you it is

Given a couple of major videogames that were only months out when this started are already delayed "indefinitely", I'd say anything complex and stuffed full of rare minerals like a graphics card is completely off the table for the next year or so.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Cards a card nowadays honestly. Unless your editing video or trying to drive some crazy amount of high Resolution displays there's probably gonna be an alternative

Anyways, no chance that cards coming out anytime soon, manufacturing is gonna be hosed for a while

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 12, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I mean, if those old Intel commercials taught me anything it's that the chipmakers are all wearing cleanroom suits. So they shouldn't have an excuse!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

w00tmonger posted:

Cards a card nowadays honestly. Unless your editing video or trying to drive some crazy amount of high Resolution displays there's probably gonna be an alternative

Anyways, no chance that cards coming out anytime soon, manufacturing is gonna be hosed for a while

Cards are not cards when it comes to VR for sure

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I heard from the steam thread you need to crossfire 2 1080s to get even low resolution on VR games, and if you want to see further then 2 feet you need to get a computer from NASA to run it.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cards are not cards when it comes to VR for sure

it's true, but something like a 1070 which came out 4 years ago can still run just about anything you throw at it. admittedly it was an expensive card in 2016 and is still probably expensive

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As a 1070-haver, yeah. I’m not running at ultra settings with 200% SS @140hz but I do just fine, no complaints.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Leal posted:

I heard from the steam thread you need to crossfire 2 1080s to get even low resolution on VR games, and if you want to see further then 2 feet you need to get a computer from NASA to run it.

This is all true apart from with Nvidia it's not crossfire it's SLI and SLI doesn't really work at all in VR, NASA have just taken an order of an Oculus Quest to power all future missions though, so that is accurate.
There is a huge movement online right now that automatically puts pants on the heads of otherwise normal people every time Half Life Alyx comes up in conversation :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone have intermittent tracking problems with their Vive/Vive Pro and OG lighthouses? I’ll be fine, playing whatever, and suddenly my head height will go like a foot and a half down, my controller all up in my face. The only way to fix it is to shut down Steam VR entirely and start it up again. I’ve used my Pro extensively for DCS and other cockpit games, but recently set it up for room scale.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrYenko posted:

Anyone have intermittent tracking problems with their Vive/Vive Pro and OG lighthouses? I’ll be fine, playing whatever, and suddenly my head height will go like a foot and a half down, my controller all up in my face. The only way to fix it is to shut down Steam VR entirely and start it up again. I’ve used my Pro extensively for DCS and other cockpit games, but recently set it up for room scale.

If you've moved your lighthouses when setting up for roomscale, take a look around for any reflective surfaces like a window or mirror that might be affecting your playspace.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you've moved your lighthouses when setting up for roomscale, take a look around for any reflective surfaces like a window or mirror that might be affecting your playspace.

Yeah we had to cover up all our framed pictures (think movie posters etc) because the reflectiveness from the glass messed them up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Haven't played Beat Saber for 3-4 weeks. I notice in my shoulders starting up again.

Also, unsurprisingly, their new Fitbeat song is unfun as gently caress.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Whoever is making official Beat Saber songs knows gently caress all about how to make them "flow".

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm (finally, I delayed it several times) playing Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners.

There is something that bothers me and is the total lack of ability to save, it only has very sparse checkpoints, I shouldn't even call it checkpoints, as it will only save between levels. Also, for a game where looting is so important, your bag is fairly small, I fill it with just exploring 50% a house, and well, there is usually no reason to stay in a map once your bag is full (with the exception of whatever main quest you have), you can only lose resources/health/stamina and not gain anything in exchange. So you are going to come back to the safehouse and return to the levels a lot, there is a good number of upgrades to unlock with the crafting resources. I know you can get a fourth inventory page with an upgrade, but instead of '3, then 4', I wish it would be '4, then 5' inventory pages.

The game is more ambitious than say, Half Life Alyx: there are non-linear levels, there is a bit of stealth possible (avoiding zombies or soldiers), there are crafting and upgrades, there are caches to discover, there are melee weapons, both one and two handed, there are several firearms, there is a bow, you can push zombies with your hands or weapons, the AI can be interesting like, making zombies attack other humans, etc. You even can hold the flashlight in your hand unlike Alyx *cough cough*
It doesn't have the level of polish desired in all this, but it's pretty decent, given the scope. Well, there is one thing where the scope isn't so big, the world it self is, for what I read, just 9-10 maps, and the maps are usually 3 streets and 2 enterable buildings each, so it makes you visit the same locations several times.

But perhaps what it has surprised me and I wanted to comment it is how it seems fairly hardcore. Not only there is a health and stamina meter, you also deplete your max. stamina and max health, so if you sprint a lot or kill zombies in a row, you will tire out and lose max. stamina, making the bar smaller. And if you consume food found while looting, it will recover the max. stamina but lose max health. Health is recovered with bandages, but it isn't insta-healing effect, but a slower hp increase regen. Resting in your base won't recover the max. health meter, you need medicine. And the gunfights from what I've seen are fairly lethal, you lose health quickly and to recover is a fairly involved process that can't be done in the middle of combat: accessing the inventor is in real time, and you need to pick the bandage and apply it. Believe me, I tried and ended dead :P
This all makes the experience feel as more authentic, a kind of immersive survival horror, and making the whole loot & craft essential, it isn't like in other games where said mechanics feel put just because there are popular and they have to do the typical bullet point list features.
Now, if only I could save before infiltrating a tower outpost...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm (finally, I delayed it several times) playing Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners.

There is something that bothers me and is the total lack of ability to save, it only has very sparse checkpoints, I shouldn't even call it checkpoints, as it will only save between levels. Also, for a game where looting is so important, your bag is fairly small, I fill it with just exploring 50% a house, and well, there is usually no reason to stay in a map once your bag is full (with the exception of whatever main quest you have), you can only lose resources/health/stamina and not gain anything in exchange. So you are going to come back to the safehouse and return to the levels a lot, there is a good number of upgrades to unlock with the crafting resources. I know you can get a fourth inventory page with an upgrade, but instead of '3, then 4', I wish it would be '4, then 5' inventory pages.

The game is more ambitious than say, Half Life Alyx: there are non-linear levels, there is a bit of stealth possible (avoiding zombies or soldiers), there are crafting and upgrades, there are caches to discover, there are melee weapons, both one and two handed, there are several firearms, there is a bow, you can push zombies with your hands or weapons, the AI can be interesting like, making zombies attack other humans, etc. You even can hold the flashlight in your hand unlike Alyx *cough cough*
It doesn't have the level of polish desired in all this, but it's pretty decent, given the scope. Well, there is one thing where the scope isn't so big, the world it self is, for what I read, just 9-10 maps, and the maps are usually 3 streets and 2 enterable buildings each, so it makes you visit the same locations several times.

But perhaps what it has surprised me and I wanted to comment it is how it seems fairly hardcore. Not only there is a health and stamina meter, you also deplete your max. stamina and max health, so if you sprint a lot or kill zombies in a row, you will tire out and lose max. stamina, making the bar smaller. And if you consume food found while looting, it will recover the max. stamina but lose max health. Health is recovered with bandages, but it isn't insta-healing effect, but a slower hp increase regen. Resting in your base won't recover the max. health meter, you need medicine. And the gunfights from what I've seen are fairly lethal, you lose health quickly and to recover is a fairly involved process that can't be done in the middle of combat: accessing the inventor is in real time, and you need to pick the bandage and apply it. Believe me, I tried and ended dead :P
This all makes the experience feel as more authentic, a kind of immersive survival horror, and making the whole loot & craft essential, it isn't like in other games where said mechanics feel put just because there are popular and they have to do the typical bullet point list features.
Now, if only I could save before infiltrating a tower outpost...

yeah i was a lot more impressed by it than Alyx but the lack of saving is a real killer

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Haven't played Beat Saber for 3-4 weeks. I notice in my shoulders starting up again.

Also, unsurprisingly, their new Fitbeat song is unfun as gently caress.

Funny. It’s the first ost and first map by freeek that I don’t hate. (I hate his ost maping in general and I’m not a fan of his style normally anyway)

I actually had no complaints even. And I love to poo poo on ost maps

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

Funny. It’s the first ost and first map by freeek that I don’t hate. (I hate his ost maping in general and I’m not a fan of his style normally anyway)

I actually had no complaints even. And I love to poo poo on ost maps

What the gently caress?!
One More Time is like, one of the best songs.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I'm really struggling to decide what to play next on my index now that I've beaten Half Life Alyx and Superhot VR. I really loved Alyx, but don't want to go back to it right away. I'll probably wait until I can upgrade my CPU because I still had lots of performance issues with a RTX 2070S.

Considering the gun play and exploration were my favourite parts of Alyx, I guess Saints & Sinners is probably my best bet? The posts above seem to indicate that it's pretty great, the only reason I'm apprehensive at all is because I find Walking Dead's aesthetic pretty tiresome at this point.

I'm also interested in Boneworks, but considering that I couldn't play Alyx with smooth locomotion without getting nauseous, I think I'll probably wait a little while longer on that one.

Is H3VR good now? It's really hard to get a read on whether it's actually a game yet or just a shooting range/make your own fun kind of thing.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Brownie posted:

I'm really struggling to decide what to play next on my index now that I've beaten Half Life Alyx and Superhot VR. I really loved Alyx, but don't want to go back to it right away. I'll probably wait until I can upgrade my CPU because I still had lots of performance issues with a RTX 2070S.

Considering the gun play and exploration were my favourite parts of Alyx, I guess Saints & Sinners is probably my best bet? The posts above seem to indicate that it's pretty great, the only reason I'm apprehensive at all is because I find Walking Dead's aesthetic pretty tiresome at this point.

I'm also interested in Boneworks, but considering that I couldn't play Alyx with smooth locomotion without getting nauseous, I think I'll probably wait a little while longer on that one.

Is H3VR good now? It's really hard to get a read on whether it's actually a game yet or just a shooting range/make your own fun kind of thing.

S&S is pretty cool, I'd recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
If you had cpu problems with Alyx they'll be worse with saints and sinners. I have the same issue with an i7-7700.