Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

I will say, regarding that chapter, the leadup and execution of the pun is the absolute best.
I hated that I didn't even see it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Don't even post it in spoilers please, its the only thing keeping me from trying to bomb the gold bar

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I started with only harder monsters and it’s been just about right from the point I got the second party member and got a couple levels. I wiped a couple times at the very beginning, but haven’t had a game over since (just got the boat). I do feel like I possibly should have also chosen no xp from weak monsters. I run past most enemies, but it feels possible to get ahead on the xp curve fairly quickly just from doing quests and fighting battles occasionally, particularly against easier and more rewarding enemy types.

Overall the combat feels surprisingly good. There are a lot of decisions to make and it’s fun setting up a strategy then trying to execute it. I really wish there were more depth to character builds, though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
There's more variety as the game goes on and you unlock more character nodes.

You can do some crazy poo poo near the endgame.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I've had my eyes opened to the use of Hallelujah + Electro Light instead of just Electro Light, though it does feel more time-intensive to do. I've even gotten enough skill points to max out nearly all the useful trees this time around.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
That pun was terrible and they should be very proud of it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Guildenstern Mother posted:

It makes it all worthwhile.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Not sure if there's a separate dragon quest builders 2 thread I should be posting in, or if I'm the only person playing this at the moment, but if these loving miners ask me to build them a third bar I'm going to just leave the island and never come back. They can be eaten by hagron and they'll deserve it.

Yes but aren't you just ENTHRALLED by the plotline of HOW loving HORNY everyone is for this one person? Isn't it just the most compelling storytelling you've ever seen?

/s if that wasn't horrifically obvious

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Which pun are we talking about?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Elephant Ambush posted:

Which pun are we talking about?

It's the - spoilers for chapter two/mining isle, and this is the punchline so, I advise against a click if you want to play and stumble on it organically:

Goldirox and the Three Bars

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

It's the - spoilers for chapter two/mining isle, and this is the punchline so, I advise against a click if you want to play and stumble on it organically:

Goldirox and the Three Bars

I've beaten the game I just didn't follow the context of the conversation. Thanks. That was a really good one.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Elephant Ambush posted:

I've beaten the game I just didn't follow the context of the conversation. Thanks. That was a really good one.

Oh, I figured, I more meant that to anyone in general. As someone who loves pun humor, I will never in a million years hit a punchline so drat well like that. :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
how bad are the load-times in DQXI S on the switch compared to vanilla DQXI on a PC with a SSD? most of the comparisons i hear are just comparing it to the PS4 version.

also what's the general opinion on the 3DS remake of VII?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

3DS remake of VII is better in every way compared to PS1 original but it is still an incredibly long game. If you love Dragon Quest you can make it through no problem, but if you're not completely sold on the series it might be tough.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Countblanc posted:

also what's the general opinion on the 3DS remake of VII?
It's absolutely the definitive edition of the game and if you're interested in playing DQ7 play the 3DS version. Graphics aside (and the game looks pretty good on 3DS, especially compared the the... minimalist presentation of the PSX version), you now have a shard locator and plot recap in the menus, several dungeons have been streamlined, and the localization is up to modern DQ standards (and while YMMV on the accents and puns, the grammar and actual writing quality is better in the 3DS version). The only thing missing is the ability to party chat in-battle, and it's a feature I stopped using less than halfway through playing the PSX version.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

how bad are the load-times in DQXI S on the switch compared to vanilla DQXI on a PC with a SSD? most of the comparisons i hear are just comparing it to the PS4 version.

It's noticably slower: you can actually read the tips now. It's not unbearable but if you're used to a PC SSD it's definitely a step back.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I just posted that the difficulty was mostly fine with super strong monsters, maybe on the easy side, then Rab and Jade completely mopped the floor with me in the arena. At level 20 they only need 3 consecutive hits on the hero to knock him out, and with Rab casting sleep those can come all in a row with no way to respond. Anybody have tips for how I can handle that fight without going out and grinding? I’m specced into greatswords on the hero; would respeccing to sword and help? I could get falcon slash with one more level, though that seems mostly like a side-grade at best. I’m thinking of trying a tanky approach with sword stance and miracle slash, but don’t know how that would work out in practice.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Greatswords are great (heh) damage, especially at early levels. Swords are more defensive, because you have the ability to equip shields. Falcon Slash is pretty much your best damage option at low-ish levels with swords, it's two hits at IIRC 75% power, and fairly cheap MP-wise.

You might want to look into accessories, because there might be an option that increases your Sleep resistance; I forget what accessories are available at what levels. Also, look into using the Forge to upgrade your gear if possible.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
That fight is an endurance match on hard. Rab has a limited amount of MP and once he runs out you should be able to coast to a win.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I think I couldn’t upgrade much meaningfully, at least from what I have available from shops and recipes. There’s a new sword and armor available, but even fully upgraded, they only give a few extra points of attack and defense.

The hero has gradually shifted from an all-rounder in combat to the primary damage dealer, and has been doing very well in that role. But without the rest of the team to support him, that’s not working out. Vince’s heals aren’t strong or reliable enough, and he’s worthless as a damage dealer. Of course I’ve only given the fight one try, but it seemed impossible without grinding or changing my setup. I’ll have to check what kind of accessories are available. Resistances so far seem to be around 20%, which doesn’t look reliable. It’s very possible I’m missing some recipes, though.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

dude789 posted:

That fight is an endurance match on hard. Rab has a limited amount of MP and once he runs out you should be able to coast to a win.

Yes, the correct answer here is to equip a shield and spend a bunch of your turns on Defend, burning Rab's MP and fishing for heals from Vince. You would need to be at a higher level to do enough damage to get through Rab's healing.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I remember Miracle Slash also being really good for that fight.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Okay, respecced to sword and board for the arena fight and it was trivial. Respeccing was likely pointless actually, just the increased defense from a shield was enough, though miracle slash certainly helped. The damage was really pitiful compared to greatswords, though, so I’m probably going to switch back, even if greatswords are considerably less stylish.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
It'll be worth it once you get Unbridled Blade or whatever the capstone ability is for greatswords. It has a great (ha) 'chunky' feeling to it.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Nephrite posted:

It'll be worth it once you get Unbridled Blade or whatever the capstone ability is for greatswords. It has a great (ha) 'chunky' feeling to it.

I think I might just stick with swords, though I’ll definitely check that out just for the aesthetics. I respecced back to greatswords, then wiped again to the next boss. But I figured out I can get to falcon slash, then respec out of the sword tabs I used to get there, so I did that and picked up zap (I could have gotten gigaslash instead, which seems pretty awesome, but is just too expensive to be practical at this point.) The hero does less damage, but has comparably utility and picked up a nice bit of extra defense. That change and swapping Serena out of for Eric made the big spider go down fairly easily, though it’s very possible the difference also came down to luck.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Nephrite posted:

Oh yeah, Unbridled Blade is visceral as hell, not to mention great in gameplay too

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I think I might just stick with swords, though I’ll definitely check that out just for the aesthetics. I respecced back to greatswords, then wiped again to the next boss. But I figured out I can get to falcon slash, then respec out of the sword tabs I used to get there, so I did that and picked up zap (I could have gotten gigaslash instead, which seems pretty awesome, but is just too expensive to be practical at this point.) The hero does less damage, but has comparably utility and picked up a nice bit of extra defense. That change and swapping Serena out of for Eric made the big spider go down fairly easily, though it’s very possible the difference also came down to luck.

If you don't have it yet, speed grab Sylvando's Hustle Dance, as it's the first source of multi-target healing you can get before Eleven or Serena do, and it's super strong for how early you can grab it, it makes a lot of bosses a lot easier to deal with.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was worried that DQXI wasn't really hitting for me but decided to give it one more go, and something must have clicked because I ended up playing for like 12 hours straight :stare:

I don't know what it is, but suddenly everything about the game just works for me and I'm so relieved, it looked like far too good a game to abandon to my backlog.

Actually, scratch that, I know exactly what it is: the masked martial arts tournament was exactly the right blend of goofy and sincere and ridiculous that I was looking for and it synched me up with the game's energy perfectly.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 12, 2020

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

So I bounced offa IX really hard when I first played it, tho that was on a small DS Lite that my eyes were starting to get too old for-

recently been emulating DS on a sideways monitor, and wow having a foot-wide screen where I can actually see what's going on makes a huge difference

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Peanut Butler posted:

So I bounced offa IX really hard when I first played it, tho that was on a small DS Lite that my eyes were starting to get too old for-

recently been emulating DS on a sideways monitor, and wow having a foot-wide screen where I can actually see what's going on makes a huge difference

Being able to upscale stuff helps a lot. I bought a copy of Joker 3 and did the 'copy to pc and apply fan translation" thing and while it'd have been fun handheld, on PC it was fun and I could actually see what was happening.

It also made me really want some drat news on the DQM game in development, and confirmation of a western release.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

There was a Joker 3? Dang, I need to get caught up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

raditts posted:

There was a Joker 3? Dang, I need to get caught up.

Never came out here. They even remade DQM1 and 2 for 3DS too.

There are fan translations of Joker 3 and Terry's Wonderland though. Dunno if the 2 remake got one yet.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
My ten-year old son just made total hay out of DQB2 thanks to his extra time at home. While playing it he started asking me about the Dragon Quest series as a whole and wanted to know if it was something he'd be interested in. We watched the movie on Netflix and he really dug that. So I got him DQXI for Switch and he has not put it down for like two days. I'm honestly really tickled and proud in a way. I was about 9 when Dragon Quest hit NES and between that and Final Fantasy, got into RPGs for the long haul. It's so neat to see him really get into playing something like that and answer his questions about stuff as he goes.

Also, DQXI for Switch is pretty fantastic, and now I wish it was my first time playing the game too.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Nephrite posted:

If you don't have it yet, speed grab Sylvando's Hustle Dance, as it's the first source of multi-target healing you can get before Eleven or Serena do, and it's super strong for how early you can grab it, it makes a lot of bosses a lot easier to deal with.

It also scales pretty well with Charm, which is Slyvando’s best stat by a lot because most of his good moves scale with it as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Levantine posted:

My ten-year old son just made total hay out of DQB2 thanks to his extra time at home. While playing it he started asking me about the Dragon Quest series as a whole and wanted to know if it was something he'd be interested in. We watched the movie on Netflix and he really dug that. So I got him DQXI for Switch and he has not put it down for like two days. I'm honestly really tickled and proud in a way. I was about 9 when Dragon Quest hit NES and between that and Final Fantasy, got into RPGs for the long haul. It's so neat to see him really get into playing something like that and answer his questions about stuff as he goes.

Also, DQXI for Switch is pretty fantastic, and now I wish it was my first time playing the game too.

Awesome. Dragon Quest is the greatest

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Generally when playing strong monsters, you want better offense than defense since the enemies will chunk your health away pretty quickly. So I prefer Greatswords over Swords. Better to have them completely dead than taking slightly less damage at first but having the enemy last 2-3 more turns.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

It also scales pretty well with Charm, which is Slyvando’s best stat by a lot because most of his good moves scale with it as well.

is there a good guide for stuff like this? i did a bit of googling and found a few wikis but they seemed to just be more general game feature overviews than any real deep mechanical stuff. i went ahead and downloaded the Switch demo to see if the loading times bother me and I want to try Stronger Monsters, but i'd like a bit more info on the game's systems to check if needed.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Countblanc posted:

is there a good guide for stuff like this? i did a bit of googling and found a few wikis but they seemed to just be more general game feature overviews than any real deep mechanical stuff. i went ahead and downloaded the Switch demo to see if the loading times bother me and I want to try Stronger Monsters, but i'd like a bit more info on the game's systems to check if needed.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/179347-dragon-quest-xi-echoes-of-an-elusive-age/76888622

Lots of details, but spoilers are in there.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

thanks. i've beaten the game before so spoilers aren't really a concern.

a dumb question - is the game going to list which draconian quest modifiers i have on screen at all times forever? or will this go away at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Countblanc posted:

thanks. i've beaten the game before so spoilers aren't really a concern.

a dumb question - is the game going to list which draconian quest modifiers i have on screen at all times forever? or will this go away at some point?

It's an option under settings I think.

You know, if I have one complatint about DQXI, and I guess this applies to DQ in general, is that they really aren't clear with behind the scenes stuff; like what scales off what stat and what monster is weak to what element/debuff, etc. It's actually pretty nice that certain party members get more out of Charm or Strength or Deftness, gives me character and depth to the game, but they really make you go to a wiki for that kind of poo poo.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 12, 2020