Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Laserjet 4P posted:

green forum to dig up that thread

thread necromancy is a form of romance and it's always amazed me when I've posted to an old thread how it can somewhat come back to life again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I bought a Keylab Essential 49 during the week. Before it was delivered I binged a huge amount of production and theory videos, feeling like I was getting closer to being able to sit down with the keyboard when it came and achieve something. This is far from what happened. Even knowing which notes are which on the keyboard is a barrier to seamlessly producing what I have in my head, nevermind gluing the theory I have taken in together and forming it into a melody or bassline. The same goes for what I was learning about designing sounds in a synthesizer. There's the theory, which is just one factor, but gluing that to the skills to work the theory with playing ability, sound design, creative chops, etc. I'm guessing is a long road.

I had it in my head to do the Doctor Who bassline, just the opening few snatches (which is strangely similar to Venom's opening to Black Metal,) but the sound design in making a bass-sound do what I need to get at it is just beyond me (me playing with the free TAL VSTs) and then putting that to music is a whole 'nother step.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
:palmon::birddrugs:
gently caress around and have fun.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

For some reason none of my tindr matches are into full-body sanitizing and PPE

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Startyde posted:

:palmon::birddrugs:
gently caress around and have fun.

This is really it. The more you play the better you get. Sit down and stumble into melodies, then refine them, make them longer, and make mental notes what sounds good. Then after a while you can sit down and just play. You'll find which scales you like the most and probably keep coming back to them, but then you'll get bored and push out and find out accidents can work well at certain moments.

I'm at the point I can hear something like Axel F and just sit down and mostly figure it out in a few minutes - just from loving around.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have this sort of fear, even though I've never even made anything where I need this yet, of not being able to ever remember how I "got there" to certain sounds or melodies.

How do you guys keep track of what you made so you remember how to replay it later live or for a recording session?

On guitar it's way easier for me obviously, but with synths... my memory just sucks. Kind of a vague question I know.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DAW piano roll and MIDI play/record works for my simple purposes. Sequencing on a physical controller is really fun for live jamming but if you're trying to get sheet music into/out of your hardware then things start to get annoying.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

BonoMan posted:

I have this sort of fear, even though I've never even made anything where I need this yet, of not being able to ever remember how I "got there" to certain sounds or melodies.

How do you guys keep track of what you made so you remember how to replay it later live or for a recording session?

On guitar it's way easier for me obviously, but with synths... my memory just sucks. Kind of a vague question I know.

just do it so much that all you do is poo poo fire. in the board game baduk, there's a saying, get your first 100 losses out of the way. the real goal is to hone your instinct and ability to translate what you're thinking/feeling

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Record everything as MIDI, not audio.

Practice. Repeat. Play back what you did at slower speed, listen, and emulate.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I try to write everything down while I am messing around but sometimes I just take a picture to remember a patch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I try to write everything down while I am messing around but sometimes I just take a picture to remember a patch.

I always thought a useful app would be pictures like this married to samples of the sound at c4 or whatever. Meta tag it, etc.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

magiccarpet posted:

I always thought a useful app would be pictures like this married to samples of the sound at c4 or whatever. Meta tag it, etc.

That is an absolutely excellent idea, I have about 50 pages of neutron settings I wrote down and desperately tried to write out why a certain pizzicato sounds "icier" than the other three I just wrote down.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I use synths with patch storage and just push save

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

One final week to get your tracks ready

Submissions due by 4/17

If your tracks are done,

render them to a .wav or a .flac or some sort of LOSSLESS format

Zip them up with a text file, how you want to be credited, name of the song, any track notes or thank yous or whatever, them upload the zip to mediafire or dropbox or something.

Post the link here, or, courtesy of EBBs benevolence, pm it to me.

If you have problems figuring any of that out, ask.

Tracks so far:

https://soundcloud.com/philtho/rise

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/get-this-loving-bread

https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/i-changed-my-name

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/this-land

https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/the-knifemakers-daughter/s-o3qX71bBc78

https://soundcloud.com/nateshap/capitalism-is-a-ok-yall

I still need lossless copies and track info and stuff from everyone, including myself, except EBB.

We still need someone to do some album art.

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 12, 2020

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I was in a COVID cover-song Secret Santa on the Song Fight forums. It's over now, so I can post my entry here! It's Peter Schilling's "The Noah Plan". https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/the-noah-plan

I want to make an extended mix of my labor track in the next couple of days, maybe throw some vocoding on the vocals. Not sure how I feel about the parts where I talk to my cat.

Do you still need someone to master all the tracks, The Voice of Labor?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I would LOVE for someone to master the tracks. My monitoring rig is trash and, while I can make things sound consistently loud and bassy, I'm not real sure I can make them sound consistently good while doing so. Also that would allow me more time to garden and make music.

My child loves your song, especially the part where you talk to your cat. There's an almost Booji Boy level of sincerity to it. But do what you feel is right. There's also nothing stopping you from doing a 7'' and a 12'' mix, except time.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm not super experienced, and my monitoring rig is just a mid-tier set of studio headphones, but I'll put my hand up if no one else does.

Thanks for the feedback! :kimchi:

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

here's my boners for labor submission draft, i hope it fits the criteria. i might tweak it before the "final" submission when i have fresh ears, so i'm gonna sit on it for a bit before sending the .wav but this is mostly what it is. any feedback would be appreciated bc i don't have a great listening setup

https://soundcloud.com/yjk-art/jessfordelaware

jess scarane is one of the last big progressive primary election candidates! the incumbent is chris coons, and she is heavily supported by c-spam

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904146

pls like/share/donate/volunteer

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

If I can get ideas/technique/luck to all come together, I may have a boner track by the 17th

Got my Keystep Essentials today and it's already making my life a lot easier.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Guessing Coons is what comes in around the 1 minute mark?

I would put in a break at the 1 minute mark and another at the 2 minute mark. Really jarring playing poo poo backwards and speeding it up and turning it into noise skinny puppy kinda break to punctuate the coonintro and something flowing towards the mellow soothing side for the scoda. Drive home, for the casual listener, that two different things are being presented and that one of them is good and that the other is not.

I would also do more demonic vocal effects on the coons?voice. Chipmunk ridiculousness is a good start, but there's a whole broad palette for making speech sound more mechanical, sinister and soulless, basically republican, to explore.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

The Voice of Labor posted:

Guessing Coons is what comes in around the 1 minute mark?

I would put in a break at the 1 minute mark and another at the 2 minute mark. Really jarring playing poo poo backwards and speeding it up and turning it into noise skinny puppy kinda break to punctuate the coonintro and something flowing towards the mellow soothing side for the scoda. Drive home, for the casual listener, that two different things are being presented and that one of them is good and that the other is not.

I would also do more demonic vocal effects on the coons?voice. Chipmunk ridiculousness is a good start, but there's a whole broad palette for making speech sound more mechanical, sinister and soulless, basically republican, to explore.

yep it's coons. i love these ideas! i'll play around with them for the final cut :guitar:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Been busy with work getting our workforce remote so sadly between that and the world melting haven't had too much time to sit and make any tunes worth recording. :(

I did, however, finally get my supply of 100 nF from Digikey and I was able to build:

4x14 buffer multiples.

Someone put their schematic online and I printed out 5x3 boards from JLPCB for $30 shipped. Bought all the parts for around $60. (minus the gently caress-up) Built two so far with no issues. https://github.com/filthyhabits/Multiples-v1.0 If you order boards from JLPCB, make sure you mark the order number to be printed on the BACK of the boards.

I also found this fairly cheap already built. I've been wanting Rings, and this sounds amazing. I love it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 13, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Philthy posted:

Someone put their schematic online and I printed out 5x3 boards from JLPCB for $30 shipped. Bought all the parts for around $60. (minus the gently caress-up) Built two so far with no issues. https://github.com/filthyhabits/Multiples-v1.0 If you order boards from JLPCB, make sure you mark the order number to be printed on the BACK of the boards.

Love it, thank you for sharing. It's the perfect size so will definitely do a run at some point.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
No problem!

I got to sit down with Rings and worked it through Marbles and some reverb and man... I could just let this play all day long. I did a little knob twisting, but good lord this is my jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSFQPVQk_6g

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Philthy posted:

No problem!

I got to sit down with Rings and worked it through Marbles and some reverb and man... I could just let this play all day long. I did a little knob twisting, but good lord this is my jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSFQPVQk_6g

Thats incredibly relaxing to listen to, slowly twisting those dials must be a great way to wind down.
--------
I just bought a Xone:PX5 and its been incredibly satisfying having something with an intuitive layout and all kinds of flexibility as an interface+mixer. That being said - why is midi such a finicky beast! Trying to sync my housemates RytmII as either master or slave just would not happen, ended up having to use usb... Anyone got any excellent guides/troubleshooters/suggestions for making different machines/data/audio play nice in general? Using Bitwig if its relevant.

I'd love to start jamming live electronic music (was a goal for this year) and playing with ways to have things interact, but OTB and real-time are both new to me.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
More Marbles and Rings through a reverb. Just relaxing. No effort just messing about. I tuned it properly this time.

https://soundcloud.com/philtho/generative-fun-one

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

chaosbreather posted:

I got a Hydrasynth Keyboard model for my birthday from my girlfriend.

Hi-five Hydrasynth buddy! I have the desktop model and I got into Eurorack at about the same time. I love being able to route an LFO to one of the mod outs to use it as a CV source. Since I kind of picked up a handful of various gear at the same time, I've been pretty grateful for how intuitive the flow is on the Hydrasynth to pick up.

My only issue is that I've had a hard time coaxing hard percussive mallet or pluck-type sounds out of it. That could just be me being bad at sound design, though. I know with one of the new patches they did some things to allow a sharper attack time, but I haven't had much time to play with that aspect yet.

Anyway, it's really fun to use and makes some amazing noises even just using nothing but it's onboard effects.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

nominal posted:

My only issue is that I've had a hard time coaxing hard percussive mallet or pluck-type sounds out of it. That could just be me being bad at sound design, though. I know with one of the new patches they did some things to allow a sharper attack time, but I haven't had much time to play with that aspect yet.

Protip: use a spare envelope with the shortest decay time possible and route it to oscillator pitch. Ultimately it’s not that software envelopes can’t get that millisecond speed, the shape matters, too. If you can’t set things to exponential - well, time to make a feature request.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

An e352 might be the best 26hp you can stick in your rack

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Those are some cool sounds philthy, comes across as almost physical-modely. Quite musical for modular noodling!

anyway here is my no-input pedal boner:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mofjo8n86dag5ro/somnomancy_-_the_knifemaker%2527s_daughter.wav/file

the track is called 'the knifemaker's daughter' and you can credit me as 'somnomancy'. I'm not really sure whvt sort of comments you're after but I'm happy to add something if required!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

You don't have to put anything in the comments if you don't want to. A lot of people like to put soundcloud/bandcamp/facebook/whatever links in, lyrics for songs that have them are always good, gear lists can be dope.

So, yeah, you don't have to put anything in the comments and you totally shouldn't do a gear description or writeup that illustrates how little equipment a person actually needs to make music.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

field balm posted:

Those are some cool sounds philthy, comes across as almost physical-modely. Quite musical for modular noodling!

Rings is a physical modelling synthesis voice :ssh:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

'Two live takes using a single $20 delay pedal fed back into itself using a splitter cable and then manipulated like a synthesizer. No editing except for panning and level matching.'

You can link my bandcamp https://somnomancy.bandcamp.com/ which I just created to upload 4 more tracks that use a familiar methodology. Please check it out if you need some noise to meditate on.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Rings is a physical modelling synthesis voice :ssh:

That's very cool! I never research these things in an attempt to protect my wallet lol. Sounds awesome tbh.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

field balm posted:

'Two live takes using a single $20 delay pedal fed back into itself using a splitter cable and then manipulated like a synthesizer. No editing except for panning and level matching.'

You can link my bandcamp https://somnomancy.bandcamp.com/ which I just created to upload 4 more tracks that use a familiar methodology. Please check it out if you need some noise to meditate on.

This is cool, I dig it. Lots of fun texture and it leads my brain to weird places. Thanks for sharing!

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
So something about lockdown is making me want to make music. I'm actually working from home so it's not like an abundance of time or anything like that though.

I've got... zero musical experience (I guess I played recorder in primary school) a couple of crappy instruments (otamatone and £7 harmonica) that I can't play and a PO-Arcade that I enjoy making bad loops on.

I want to buy a new toy to play with to add some more sounds to my repertoire.

Gadget 2 on ios is looking mighty tempting but £40 for an app (i know i know) seems mad to me. Is it worth the drop for someone with only teeny experience making loops on a PO and in nanoloop ios? The other option would probably be picking up another PO (robot or factory) so any advice is appreciated... I've been toddling around the forums trying to pick the best thread to post in and you guys have mentioned gadget a non-zero number of times so i figured this is the place.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

LeFishy posted:

So something about lockdown is making me want to make music. I'm actually working from home so it's not like an abundance of time or anything like that though.

I've got... zero musical experience (I guess I played recorder in primary school) a couple of crappy instruments (otamatone and £7 harmonica) that I can't play and a PO-Arcade that I enjoy making bad loops on.

Gadget 2 on ios is looking mighty tempting but £40 for an app (i know i know) seems mad to me. Is it worth the drop for someone with only teeny experience making loops on a PO and in nanoloop ios? The other option would probably be picking up another PO (robot or factory) so any advice is appreciated... I've been toddling around the forums trying to pick the best thread to post in and you guys have mentioned gadget a non-zero number of times so i figured this is the place.

So I don't have any experience with Gadget, but when it comes to music-making, it helps a little bit to have at least a goal in mind as far as genre. Do you want to make spacey robot farts? Do you want to make whatever ambient noise field balm up there made? Do you want something with, like, chord changes and melody? Do you want to do some samples and beatmaking a la hip-hop? Gadget looks like it can do all of those things (and probably more), but you don't want to get too overwhelmed right out of the gate.

For pure flexibility and completeness, I think it would be hard to beat Gadget. But if you like the workflow of your current PO, I doubt that getting another would hurt at all. The only real factor, I'd think, is how much time you want to sink into learning a new piece of kit.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Animoog is the best misic app for iPhone that I've used. I loved Korg gadget at first, but it's interface just didn't click with me, though I'm sure it's better on an iPad. I love the synths in there, though.

I really really recommend that you get Animoog. It's so , so worth the money. The MIDI pack is like $3, and then you can use your computer to sequence it, giving you chords for pads and leads for melodies and stuff. I'd legit pay $100 no questions asked for a VST of animoog

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Man, I'm thinking about selling the Minilogue XD. It's awesome, but I am just not using it much. I'm spending hours in V Collection and that seems to scratch the itch. Plus I want a Hydrasynth anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LeFishy posted:

If you can wait, gadget and the other Korg apps go on heavy discount (50%) multiple times a year (black Friday, December holidays and New Years, etc)

That said, you probably do need apps/instruments/gear and gadget gives you a lot for the money. But if you wanted to spend $20-40 you’re probably initially better served with other apps.

What kind of music are you hoping to make?