Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Klyith posted:

It sounds like you need either more drives or to delete some stuff then.

Oh, I'm not really hurting for space at the moment. I just had a whim to clear some out some stuff, and shuffle things around a bit. I had already cleared 10 or so GBs already by deleting some overly large video files and getting rid of some duplicate files I had found. I planned on moving stuff over to the HDD storage drive (which still has tons of free space), and I just thought to use 7Zip as a way to shrink it down a bit and optimize the space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You're not really going to squeeze much more out of already compressed files, and you're also making things less convenient by sticking them in an archive where you can't really access them normally

If you're not really hurting for space but you just want to be more efficient, you could try turning file and folder compression on - it's not as effective, but it's completely transparent

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Klyith posted:

chrome is really awful

Yes!

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I've been looking for something for literally years and now I'm asking all over the place because with the lockdown and working from my home PC it's become all the more relevant.

If you've ever used something like mRemoteNG or SecureCRT, you know how convenient it is in certain situations to just have a tree view of all your saved remote desktop and putty sessions to select between, with a child window displaying whichever one's currently active. You can save your commonly-used remote desktops, organize them in a tree, double-click it from the tree to connect it, and single click connected sessions to switch between them.

I'm looking for something like that to organize and launch *any* program - the excel sheet that has all my company's lead engineers & contact info, the citrix session I can't put in mRemoteNG because it's not a remote desktop, separate browser windows for various remote applications, etc. Basically, I sort of want SecureCRT for virtual desktops.

Does anyone know if anything like that exists?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ali Aces posted:

I've been looking for something for literally years and now I'm asking all over the place because with the lockdown and working from my home PC it's become all the more relevant.

If you've ever used something like mRemoteNG or SecureCRT, you know how convenient it is in certain situations to just have a tree view of all your saved remote desktop and putty sessions to select between, with a child window displaying whichever one's currently active. You can save your commonly-used remote desktops, organize them in a tree, double-click it from the tree to connect it, and single click connected sessions to switch between them.

I'm looking for something like that to organize and launch *any* program - the excel sheet that has all my company's lead engineers & contact info, the citrix session I can't put in mRemoteNG because it's not a remote desktop, separate browser windows for various remote applications, etc. Basically, I sort of want SecureCRT for virtual desktops.

A folder with shortcuts?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

mystes posted:

A folder with shortcuts?

Shut up with your crazy solutions.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also, if you want to organize windows together into panels or something like that unfortunately Windows isn't very good for that and Microsoft killed Spaces which would have allowed that to some degree.

You could look at people's attempts to make things similar to tabbed window managers for Windows but they aren't very sophisticated compared to things like i3 for linux which would allow you to easily group windows together into a single pane.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mystes posted:

A folder with shortcuts?

And then use the root folder as a quicklaunch toolbar so you can one-click open your tree menu.

All the alternate app-launcher programs like launchy and whatnot don't do trees because windows already does the tree-style launcher.

e:

mystes posted:

Also, if you want to organize windows together into panels or something like that unfortunately Windows isn't very good for that and Microsoft killed Spaces which would have allowed that to some degree.
The powertoys fancyzones has promise, but until it has automatic functions like "put app A into zone 1 and app B into zone 3 when they start" it's just not quite there yet.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 7, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ok this is dumb but how the hell do I figure out why my screen saver isn't coming on like it used to?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MarcusSA posted:

ok this is dumb but how the hell do I figure out why my screen saver isn't coming on like it used to?

Windows doesn't do screen savers anymore. With LCD screens they don't save anything and they waste power, so now it just powersaves monitors right away. Don't be mad about this because no matter how much you loved mystify.scr it was the right thing to do. Across every PC in the world, displaying a screen saver for 20 minutes instead of sleeping the monitor is a lot of pointless carbon dioxide.

The screensaver programs still exist -- search windows for *.scr -- so you can run them directly if you want.

edit: huh, so it still exists but it's hidden by default? I thought I remembered news from a while back that they were going to ax them entirely.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 7, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Klyith posted:

Windows doesn't do screen savers anymore.

What? Just search for screensaver in settings.

(I use on on my HTPC cause windows won't shut down my TV. I also let my desktop show a screensaver for a minute so I can move the mouse before the screen turns off the Windows locks.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Klyith posted:

Windows doesn't do screen savers anymore. With LCD screens they don't save anything and they waste power, so now it just powersaves monitors right away. Don't be mad about this because no matter how much you loved mystify.scr it was the right thing to do. Across every PC in the world, displaying a screen saver for 20 minutes instead of sleeping the monitor is a lot of pointless carbon dioxide.

The screensaver programs still exist -- search windows for *.scr -- so you can run them directly if you want.

edit: huh, so it still exists but it's hidden by default? I thought I remembered news from a while back that they were going to ax them entirely.

Ok?

It still doesn't tell me why it doesn't trigger like it used to though?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ali Aces posted:

I use Remote Desktop Manager Free to log into a variety of SSH, VNC and RDP sessions at work. It also has the ability to open web browsers (with auto-login), open Documents like Word and Excel and also says it will do Citrix (but I haven't tried that).
There's a free version you can use and try out and a paid enterprise version that adds features like central database support.
https://remotedesktopmanager.com/features/remote-connection-management

I just tested it by launching an excel document and it opened it up right in the app and would let me edit it as well. Not the same as full featured Excel but for something like a client list it would probably be more than enough.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 7, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ali Aces posted:

I use PStart to organize just about every major task that involves launching things, from video games, to stuff I'm writing, to work stuff. http://www.pegtop.net/start/

It'll even launch stuff on a schedule.

disclaimer: I don't use any of the software you're talking about up there, and don't have a good understanding of your use case.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

FCKGW posted:

I use Remote Desktop Manager Free to log into a variety of SSH, VNC and RDP sessions at work. It also has the ability to open web browsers (with auto-login), open Documents like Word and Excel and also says it will do Citrix (but I haven't tried that).
There's a free version you can use and try out and a paid enterprise version that adds features like central database support.
https://remotedesktopmanager.com/features/remote-connection-management

Thank you! This looks like it may be exactly what I'm looking for, though $200 seems like a pretty steep price tag. I'll give it a whirl though.

The use case is literally exactly the use case that drives people to use something like SecureCRT instead of having a million putty and rdp windows, I just ideally want to put *anything* in there as if it were a virtual desktop sub-window. It's just real hard to keep things organized when you have a shitton of windows and browser tabs. A list of sessions and applications with customizable labels that you can organize into a tree and click through, with the selected item displaying "fullscreen" but restricted to a child window, is really freaking helpful for staying organized and getting poo poo done.

After posting that I did find and try out "Dexpot", which has enough customization that it can do about 70% of what I want. I can pre-configure it with a bunch of virtual desktops, give each one a name, set each to launch specific apps with specific parameters, and drop a toolbar to switch between them. There's no real organization to those desktops though.

Edit: Actually, you know what would work? Some way to allow unlimited loopback RDP sessions with the same user in Windows. Then I could literally just use mRemoteNG to create a bunch of RDP sessions to 127.0.0.1 that kick off various applications in their own sessions. Maybe that's crazy but it'd be exactly the sort of interface I'm looking for.

Edit2: SOLVED! In case this helps anyone - I installed "RDP Wrapper" to allow rdp connections back to 127.0.0.2, set up a separate user account with limited access, and created RDP sessions in mRemoteNG that just loop back. Now I can run whatever I need restricted to that tight little RDP window and keep things organized that way. Works for me!

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 8, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Ok?

It still doesn't tell me why it doesn't trigger like it used to though?

Windows will occasionally reset your settings to the defaults now after updates. And apparently MS is trying to save the world from people having photo slideshow/screensavers of their loved ones for twenty minutes by disabling screensavers as a default?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Windows will occasionally reset your settings to the defaults now after updates. And apparently MS is trying to save the world from people having photo slideshow/screensavers of their loved ones for twenty minutes by disabling screensavers as a default?

Ok I get that but it’s enabled and it should be coming on and it’s not.

:shrug:

I legit can’t figure out why it’s broken.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
When I'm working from home I use a monitor for both my work laptop and my home computer. The input switch is in a spot that's a bit of a pain in the rear end. Is there any software method to switch inputs on a monitor? Ideally would like to have a hotkey set up to swap.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ali Aces posted:

Thank you! This looks like it may be exactly what I'm looking for, though $200 seems like a pretty steep price tag. I'll give it a whirl though.

The Free version is pretty full featured and is OK to use in a business or commercial environment. The only thing the $200 license has is some centralization features and extra stuff for teams. If you are using it solo then check out the free version first.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Ok I get that but it’s enabled and it should be coming on and it’s not.

:shrug:

I legit can’t figure out why it’s broken.

Do you have a video player open? Those can prevent screensaver. You can also try closing all apps and see if it works then.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I didn't see an Office thread, but I imagine someone here will know this - if I am pasting in a bunch of email addresses into an Outlook appointment, can I paste them in this format, will it work?

Jane Smith <jsmith@address.com>; John Doe <jdoe@email.com>; Bob Smith <bsmith@aol.com>

This assumes all names are in our company's active directory (which they are), if it matters.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

me your dad posted:

I didn't see an Office thread, but I imagine someone here will know this - if I am pasting in a bunch of email addresses into an Outlook appointment, can I paste them in this format, will it work?

Jane Smith <jsmith@address.com>; John Doe <jdoe@email.com>; Bob Smith <bsmith@aol.com>

This assumes all names are in our company's active directory (which they are), if it matters.

Try it and hit ctrl-k

If it works, then you have your answer

I think it does at my job

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

me your dad posted:

Even if they're not in AD it will pick them up as email addresses. Paste them into the "Required" field in the meeting and hit "Check names" and it will convert them on the spot.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

namlosh posted:

Try it and hit ctrl-k

If it works, then you have your answer

I think it does at my job

That worked - thanks!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

mystes posted:

DisplayFusion allows moving and resizing windows/apps automatically upon launch (or via hotkey). It's very flexible and highly configurable.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's an easy-to-use program that can cut up MKV files? One of my TV shows ripped as one giant file instead of individual files for episodes.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

hooah posted:

What's an easy-to-use program that can cut up MKV files? One of my TV shows ripped as one giant file instead of individual files for episodes.

Handbrake.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

mcbexx posted:

Handbrake.

That will re-encode, unless there's a new feature I've missed. That would take ages and drop quality.

I've previously used this, with success: https://www.solveigmm.com/en/products/avi-trimmer-mkv/

That said, I'd love a better way, something that was completely free and non-propietary. Any ideas?

It can also be done with ffmpeg. Here's a random post I found on the command line syntax: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/1670/how-can-i-use-ffmpeg-to-split-mpeg-video-into-10-minute-chunks

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 13, 2020

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

HalloKitty posted:

That will re-encode, unless there's a new feature I've missed. That would take ages and drop quality.

I've previously used this, with success: https://www.solveigmm.com/en/products/avi-trimmer-mkv/

That said, I'd love a better way, something that was completely free and non-propietary. Any ideas?

It can also be done with ffmpeg. Here's a random post I found on the command line syntax: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/1670/how-can-i-use-ffmpeg-to-split-mpeg-video-into-10-minute-chunks

Maybe it'd be easier to do it after converting (to m4v in this case). Is there something that'll let me stick a bunch of markers into a scrubber and then go "split this in these spots, name the files 'Episode %n'"?

mystes
May 31, 2006

hooah posted:

Try avidemux. It's pretty easy to use and it can split the files without reencoding.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 13, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You should be able to do it with VLC.

https://www.vlchelp.com/cut-trim-videos-with-vlc-media-player/

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

mystes posted:

Try avidemux. It's pretty easy to use and it can split the files without reencoding.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Looks like people have issues with it not cutting exactly where it's told. Plus, if I can extract multiple files at once that'd be nicer.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

hooah posted:

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Looks like people have issues with it not cutting exactly where it's told. Plus, if I can extract multiple files at once that'd be nicer.

To separate a video without re-encoding, you have to cut at keyframes, so it’s impossible to always make cuts exactly where you want them. You have to settle for being a few seconds off.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Double Punctuation posted:

To separate a video without re-encoding, you have to cut at keyframes, so it’s impossible to always make cuts exactly where you want them. You have to settle for being a few seconds off.

Oh derp, I should have known better. And it looks like Avidemux doesn't do what I'd ultimately like, anyway. Here's hoping I don't have very many discs in my collection that are like this...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OK so I posted before how my Screen saver wouldn't come on like its supposed to but now it looks like my monitor doesn't turn off after 15 min like it supposed to either.

How the hell do you trouble shoot this?

Even from a fresh reboot leaving the computer idle windows won't put the monitor to sleep.

Obv something is keeping it on but where would I even start?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

MarcusSA posted:

OK so I posted before how my Screen saver wouldn't come on like its supposed to but now it looks like my monitor doesn't turn off after 15 min like it supposed to either.

How the hell do you trouble shoot this?

Even from a fresh reboot leaving the computer idle windows won't put the monitor to sleep.

Obv something is keeping it on but where would I even start?

look into the command powercfg.exe -requests.

Maybe that will get you some info. Though, if I recall it's not a history of requests, it's what's happening right now. I feel like many years ago I started a batch file to run that command over and over to catch some program that was causing the PC to stay awake...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

yeah here's the docs
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/powercfg-command-line-options

you probably want to look into /requests and /requestsoverride to see if anything's showing up in there. There's also /sleepstudy and /systemsleepdiagnostics for generating reports about sleep states, but I don't think those affect the monitor turning off? Just actual sleep state changes and whether they happened when they were supposed to

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Alternate possibility: your mouse is oversensitive / has a bit of fuzz in the sensor hole and that's resetting the idle time

I have 2 G700 wireless mice and both tend to produce this behavior where they'll kick the display out of sleep occasionally just from like walking past my desk or something. It's sometimes annoying, but I also tend to turn the mouse off when I'm not using the PC to prevent it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Could be vibrations too, especially if you have a noisy case DELL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

baka kaba posted:

Could be vibrations too, especially if you have a noisy case DELL

I love my Dell; it's great to watch porno.