Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

Satin’s acting as the voice of WWE’s attack dog machine. When he talks about AEW he only does so in negative tones. The praise WWE in quarantine and vilify AEW for doing a safer version of the same thing really brought it to the forefront.

Maybe Im speaking out of turn on SRS but he’s def one of the voices that always veers towards positive during WWE social media time.

Ehh, as much as Satin is a clear shill, i don't think it's fair to say AEW's approach is safer. It's certainly a better environment from an entertainment stance, but the more people you have on set, the harder social distancing is and thus the more risk if anyone on set is infected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It is marginally better but still abhorrent

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Ehh, as much as Satin is a clear shill, i don't think it's fair to say AEW's approach is safer. It's certainly a better environment from an entertainment stance, but the more people you have on set, the harder social distancing is and thus the more risk if anyone on set is infected.

It's much, much safer to tape 2 months of shows in 2 days than to fly wrestlers in three times a week for 2 months. It's not even in the same league of risk. AEW used a limited roster for two days, WWE is using almost the same amount of wrestlers every freaking live broadcast! And on top of that taped a Smackdown they never even used because Vince mandated live shows! So those wrestlers and crew risked being in the building all day because of Vince.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

aew shouldnt have run shows either but its literally an exponential difference lol

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I don't think star was the word they wanted to use, I think it was a different one.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MassRafTer posted:

It's much, much safer to tape 2 months of shows in 2 days than to fly wrestlers in three times a week for 2 months. It's not even in the same league of risk. AEW used a limited roster for two days, WWE is using almost the same amount of wrestlers every freaking live broadcast! And on top of that taped a Smackdown they never even used because Vince mandated live shows! So those wrestlers and crew risked being in the building all day because of Vince.

On top of which, looking at who is there and who isn't, I'm a lot more confident that AEW's "stay home if you aren't comfortable being here" thing is legit. Like, they've been missing half of their tag team champs, their women's champion, Santana and Ortiz who were major parts of the Inner Circle angles, Matt and Nick after the first week, two-thirds of their announce team, their ring announcer...it seems to go up and down the roster on who is voluntarily not there, and for a lot of those people there's no particular indication that they were at any special risk. Meanwhile, the people who are there are a lot of front office people and their friends and family who would be in contact with each other anyway -- you got Kenny and Cody, Brandi (Cody's wife), Dustin (Cody's brother and a coach), QT Marshall who is involved on the front end and a coach, a bunch of people from QT's school which is where they were taping anyway, Billy Gunn who is a trainer and his son, etc. On top of that there's a couple of young dudes who would probably be pissed if you told them they couldn't be there (Darby who is local to Atlanta anyway, Sammy), and some new debuts who are eager to show their stuff -- Archer, Brodie Lee. And Brodie said they specifically told him he could wait to debut if he didn't want to do it in empty arenas.

I know that doesn't make it much more safe, but there's something to be said for assumption of risk in all this. I have a lot less confidence that WWE would be okay with someone just saying "I'm not sick and I don't have any underlying conditions, but I don't want to come because I just don't feel safe." There's already rumors floating around that Vince is pissed at Roman, and Roman has all the reason in the world not to be risking it.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 13, 2020

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, the kind of star power that leads to a drop in ratings.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
the charlotte thing is probably the quickest way to identify somebody who is in the WWE bubble. nobody outside the WWE cares about her! she's not a star because she's in commercials if those commercials only air during WWE programming!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

the charlotte thing is probably the quickest way to identify somebody who is in the WWE bubble. nobody outside the WWE cares about her! she's not a star because she's in commercials if those commercials only air during WWE programming!

That in and of itself is proof of how stupid WWE's approach to micromanage everything is, though. There's never really a chance to have talent get an outside gig in advertising or TV that might make them have crossover appeal because WWE doesn't want them to get over outside the machine, which means they only turn up in WWE Films productions or ads for minor WWE sponsors aired during Raw.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

She's also, at the risk of saying something everyone's already said, not WWE's best women's wrestler, even by the broad "the best wrestler is the one who entertains the most people" definition.

You could make an argument for John Cena being an all time great despite not being the most technically gifted because he is very good at engaging a crowd, telling a story in the ring, and delivering matches with a main event feel. On the women's side you can make an argument for Becky Lynch being the best women's wrestler because she's both good in the ring and has an engaging character that people got behind. If she were used right, Asuka would be easily the best women's wrestler in WWE because she's one of the best in the world.

Charlotte on the other hand is... Well, she's tall. And she can wrestle passably in WWE's house style if you ignore the odd botch. And she's Ric Flair's daughter. And she's tall. But you can immediately tell if she's going to lose a match because she starts crying. And she's a gigantically bad promo. And she doesn't have a lick of naturally occurring heat. But you can't deny that she's tall.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

The tallest player in the game

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't think it's a coincidence that Charlotte's most memorable promos involved her making GBS threads on her dad. It's about the only time she came off as an authentic human being.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/FreakGlitcha/status/1249483229045968896

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

“Hey, since you’re goin’ in there with that vent, you want to take this Geiger counter too? Just to put my mind at ease?”

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

5G is a conspiracy by a bunch of companies to make us all buy new phones. It’s kinda bullshit.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
How did this how 5G thing even start? I get that these people are just pulling poo poo out of their rear end, but still.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

JT Smiley posted:

How did this how 5G thing even start? I get that these people are just pulling poo poo out of their rear end, but still.

Conspiracies around new wireless technology always spring up, and the pandemic gave the 5G conspiracy something to really latch onto. In the UK people have been burning down 5G masts, or things they think or are told are 5G masts which are actually just regular 4G masts.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

coconono posted:

5G is a conspiracy by a bunch of companies to make us all buy new phones. It’s kinda bullshit.
Is it? 5G hotspots are being marketed as home broadband replacements in a way that 4G/LTE hotspots weren't.

JT Smiley posted:

It's literally just the latest in the hell world brand of conspiracy theories, where it makes no sense and isn't even interesting to examine, but a bunch of defective idiots believe it, anyway.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Whata swerve

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Debating if I should be sharing some of my Owen Hart replies here.

Apparently there *are* people who are aware of the whole story of how he died that are willing to cut WWE slack on it and go with the "Owen could have said no, it was just an accident" poo poo.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

davidbix posted:

Is it? 5G hotspots are being marketed as home broadband replacements in a way that 4G/LTE hotspots weren't.

Most 5G is going to be around as fast as a good 4G connection, but with potentially less latency. The super-fast 5G is millimeter wave, of which a tower is usually not enough to cover a football stadium. That's the one that would theoretically replace your broadband, but it'll probably only ever be deployed in the most densest/richest parts of cities. Any walls or obstructions at all will obliterate the signal.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

davidbix posted:

Debating if I should be sharing some of my Owen Hart replies here.

Apparently there *are* people who are aware of the whole story of how he died that are willing to cut WWE slack on it and go with the "Owen could have said no, it was just an accident" poo poo.

post them. "vince didn't put a gun to their head!" is the favorite argument of WWE weirdos

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/BPZ_RXWGames/status/1249466478396674049

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

thats persons timeline is quite the journey

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
it's really depressing that perro only exists as "the guy Rey Mysterio killed" to these people

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Oof, that hadn't hit my notifications.

That person doesn't seem to be familiar with the actual story, though. To me, the average "JUST AN ACCIDENT!" people are bad, but the ones who go with it in spite of knowing the actual facts of the case are MUCH worse.
https://twitter.com/MattyOrtizDrip/status/1249104156192845824
https://twitter.com/MattyOrtizDrip/status/1249428615281938438
(The investigation didn't conclude that. He was confusing what he thought Bruce quoted with a prosecutor quote Conrad read that both wasn't phrased that way and was specific to the rigger, Bobby Talbert. Talbert, while misguided, under-qualified, and at least a bit deceptive, wasn't the one who had been repeatedly been told by a top rigger never to do what they did.)

davidbix fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 13, 2020

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'm sure the company no one takes seriously that has covered up murder before was heavily scrutinized on the televised death of one of their performers.

edit: Also it not being actually true makes it own ever more.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

karmicknight posted:

I'm sure the company no one takes seriously that has covered up murder before was heavily scrutinized on the televised death of one of their performers.

edit: Also it not being actually true makes it own ever more.
We don't KNOW that they covered up a murder, we just strongly suspect it. Hell, it's highly possible that Vince didn't need to buy anyone off because of the WWF's local influence just being strong enough that he didn't have to bother. Who the hell else was gonna come to Allentown every 3 weeks?

But Vince did admit (on the record to Phil Mushnick and Dave Meltzer!) to he and Linda firing Mel Phillips because they (correctly!) thought he was using his job as a vehicle to molest children...only to rehire him a few weeks later as long as he "promised to stay away from kids." So that one's a gimme, especially since the McMahons/WWE/their lawyers have never challenged that specific claim anywhere I can find. (They did take issue with Mushnick referring to Vince as a liar in the same article where he first revealed that information, which was based in part on Vince saying on TV that he had no idea about any of this before the stories broke that month, but never the specific statement about what Vince said about Phillips.)

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

Russia, probably

https://allianceforscience.cornell.edu/blog/2020/04/anti-vaxxers-and-russia-behind-viral-5g-covid-conspiracy-theory/

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

JT Smiley posted:

Any computer technology that olds don't understand is basically magic to them. This has been going on since boomers were saying some hacker used the first modem to send a signal to landline phones that made them explode into a cloud of deadly shrapnel.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Defiance Industries posted:

Any computer technology that olds don't understand is basically magic to them. This has been going on since boomers were saying some hacker used the first modem to send a signal to landline phones that made them explode into a cloud of deadly shrapnel.

Plus descriptions of 5g technology often include the word "microwave", which makes them scared because they think mobile phone signals will be cooking them from the inside.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Remember that when mobile phones first came out that boomers thought keeping them in your trouser pocket would give you ball cancer

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

Remember that when mobile phones first came out that boomers thought keeping them in your trouser pocket would give you ball cancer

Back in the mid 2000s I had a conversation with a guy who I worked with where he told me at length how using a cellphone and putting it against my head was going to give me brain cancer. During the course of this conversation he smoked about 5 cigarettes.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rarity posted:

turned out it was the dick pills

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Colleague at work used to use keeping a mobile phone in her bra as an example as to why people freaking out about smart electric meters was dumb. "So you're not afraid of your iphone giving you breast cancer, but a thing in a cupboard you'll check maybe once a month is gonna kill you?" kinda thing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Rock says he watches AEW and the WWE stans can't handle it

https://twitter.com/RyanRKH/status/1249566232270913536?s=20
https://twitter.com/ad171an/status/1249598646225530881?s=20
https://twitter.com/JamesTunstall89/status/1249621423943045120?s=20

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/casual_que/status/1249577948731936770

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001