Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

Sure but I'm kinda bored of archers.

How are you using your cavalry? Order them to charge the enemy while the enemy charges them? Some headlong chicken stuff that just results in a bunch of bodies? Yes, couched lances will kill even top tier troops. Playing chicken has no winners.

Order your cavalry to follow you. Don't charge the enemy headlong, but rather circle around them. Force them to break their charge and follow you. Then turn back and close with them. Turn it into a close combat battle. The only cavalry I run are companions - I gave them all rhomphalias before it was expensive and cool. Glaives, long axes, big swords. Anything with a high damage and decent reach will turn a close combat cav battle into a massacre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Multiplayer is such a loving gently caress.

Ok here we have the khurgite horsearcher, Ah a classic. Ten models. Decent number of arrows, fast bows. Low armored with a sword offhand... lightly armored horses. Boom. Solid. Loving it

And here we have the empire catephract

Their bows are better, their horses armored, they're also armored... also they have spears and shields... how many models? Oh ten.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What's the best way to increase influence with characters in towns if you want to recruit troops or whatever? Quests aren't always reliably available or practicably completeable, is there some other way

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

tak posted:

Once you get some charm (I think around 25? Not sure exactly when it started for me) you increase rep with notables when waiting in town overnight. I got enough to recruit all but the highest rep slot while waiting and smithing in a few towns a few days

For village notables, you can also save villagers from attackers and you'll increase rep in that town

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is it the "Courtship" skill? Level 225 charm? It wasn't clear to me reading it what the gently caress it was supposed to do.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

litany of gulps posted:

How are you using your cavalry? Order them to charge the enemy while the enemy charges them? Some headlong chicken stuff that just results in a bunch of bodies? Yes, couched lances will kill even top tier troops. Playing chicken has no winners.

Order your cavalry to follow you. Don't charge the enemy headlong, but rather circle around them. Force them to break their charge and follow you. Then turn back and close with them. Turn it into a close combat battle. The only cavalry I run are companions - I gave them all rhomphalias before it was expensive and cool. Glaives, long axes, big swords. Anything with a high damage and decent reach will turn a close combat cav battle into a massacre.

I appreciate the intent to be helpful but I'm just expressing annoyance at the odd Aserai youth dying. I know how to play the game.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Is this game better with a controller?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Where are the horse archers? :confused:

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

BeAuMaN posted:

Where are the horse archers? :confused:

They're already behind you.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Found my new favorite armor.

Riding around with my massive axe baseball batting Khergits out of their saddles all day.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think they made a major change to smithing in the last day or two. Used to be, when you smelted a weapon there seemed to be a fully random chance of unlocking parts. I have my skill up so that 95% of the parts are unlocked but smelted a poo poo ton of weapons to try and get the last few with no luck (in the past couple days).

Noticed by chance that a city was selling two weapons with parts that I was lacking- a tramaskene (sp?) blade and the war razor blade. Bought both and wouldn't you know it, I smelted them and immediately got those exact parts as well as one of the ring looking hilts, which I also lacked. This is anecdotal but seems like the chance of coincidence is pretty low.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Today I learned you can equip multiple quivers

Praise the steppe arrow gods

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

someone was saying a few pages ago that this might require the villages to be part of the kingdom you're a vassal of, which makes sense i guess since you're "defending" them. i dont know for sure though, i haven't tested it

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Gobblecoque posted:

I appreciate the intent to be helpful but I'm just expressing annoyance at the odd Aserai youth dying. I know how to play the game.

Lmao someone is in a mood

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've never had this happen before, but I took a city, and it instantly became a hotbed of fighting between like 4 factions. Every time I healed up and decided to go find another fight, I came back to another 500 person army on my doorstep.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was just saved from a siege by another enemy group coming to siege my town anf then both enemy armies destroyed one another and then one of the army remnants got defeated by forest bandits

:stare:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Well, after a week or so of lurking this thread, I got BANNERLORD. And promptly forgot all the useful advice the thread has given.
At present I'm running around whacking looters, achieving imperial glory one resold Tattered Peasant Shirt at a time!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ok I have unlocked Long Falx Blade for 2H swords and achieved victory in the smithing minigame

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

Well, after a week or so of lurking this thread, I got BANNERLORD. And promptly forgot all the useful advice the thread has given.
At present I'm running around whacking looters, achieving imperial glory one resold Tattered Peasant Shirt at a time!

Break down their weapons into their component parts with smithing but honestly whacking looters is heavily the early game meta imo.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tree Bucket posted:

Early game tips:

beat up looters
Avoid mountain bandits and sea raiders
bet on and win tournaments

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

What has been everyone's go-to big gently caress-off shield? I've been using the Large Round Shield but I did pick up a Pavise recently and I'm tempted. Battered Kite Shields seem to be worth a lot of coin for some reason.

eonwe posted:

Early game tips:

beat up looters

Come back to those sea raiders when possible. They're pretty awesome as shield wielding harpoon through armored muscle if you capture and recruit and also they might drop a chain hauberk. Mountain Bandits are only good for Highwaymen. Those were my original go-to for relatively cheap, competent, accessible skirmish cavalry.

Forest Bandits are where it's at though as far as troops to try and recruit as prisoners but don't try to take their bandit base early in the game without lots of archers or something because a whole base with like 20 of those guys will gently caress you up. Just arrows everywhere.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 13, 2020

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

if you want to get a big, unethical leg up on smithing early on, look out for throwing knives: they're dirt cheap, I found stacks with dozens of them in settlements around Battania and they give tons of materials when smelted

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

BeAuMaN posted:

What has been everyone's go-to big gently caress-off shield? I've been using the Large Round Shield but I did pick up a Pavise recently and I'm tempted. Battered Kite Shields seem to be worth a lot of coin for some reason.

I think the Pavise is the best in the game, at least for single player. If you kneel down with it raised you can't be hit by arrows in a pretty good arc

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really wish the pavise could be used properly, it doesn't come with a kickstand.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
My first forest bandit camp I was completely naive and forget to check the numbers. There were only like 3 parties hiding in there but the first one had like 45 dudes, with the 2nd party having over 20. I rocked up, got found out and hell rained down on me.

Right now smithing is definitely where you game it bad. I hope they work on it some more because it's clunky as poo poo but could be cool as poo poo.
If you have a better refining plan just click it and swap to another companion and click refine. Still works.

Think every character needs a smithy stamina bar for this bad boy, it should remember what you last smithed and stay on it when you return, and you should be able to save favourites. Oh and you should be able to hide all the crap you haven't discovered yet because it just clunks up the inventory.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I mostly carry a shield on my back, so the Northern Round Shield seems the best in terms of coverage vs weight

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

I mostly carry a shield on my back, so the Northern Round Shield seems the best in terms of coverage vs weight

Afaik back shield coverage doesn't work atm

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

If you're having trouble with archers hide your line in the lee of a hill and wait for the enemy to close, then charge. Most times you'll take fairly minimal losses if your troops aren't horrendously slow.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

eonwe posted:

Early game tips:

beat up looters

If you're a special snowflake who never loads the game like me you might wanna skip on the betting and just win tournaments with 0 bets. Sometimes the reward can be worth 5k which is pretty drat sweet. Betting on all rounds yeilds a profit of around 700 denars anyway, which is pretty meh since you're risking 1200

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

I gave captains mode a try and it is loving fantastic

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Chopstix posted:

I gave captains mode a try and it is loving fantastic

It looks like a fun version of tiger knight or conquerors blade

rip tiger knight where you could have a unit of people wielding oars beating the crap out of cav

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Where do I get Skill 90 horses? Supposedly they exist, and I know at least some units use them.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

BeAuMaN posted:

Where do I get Skill 90 horses? Supposedly they exist, and I know at least some units use them.

Lucky looting and rewards for winning tournaments are the only places I have seen them.

E: Here have this horse pair I got from loot.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 13, 2020

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I can't even find a list - like in a battle 3 or 4 days I'm pretty sure I moused over a horse running off (rider got killed) that was a Storm something? No results googling that though

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Mr. Pickles posted:

If you're a special snowflake who never loads the game like me you might wanna skip on the betting and just win tournaments with 0 bets. Sometimes the reward can be worth 5k which is pretty drat sweet. Betting on all rounds yeilds a profit of around 700 denars anyway, which is pretty meh since you're risking 1200
Yeah even if you're save scumming, betting on tournaments isn't worth it like warband. Some bets you can make literally nothing off your investment so there's no point. Asking the arena dude where the tourneys are hiding at seems to force 2 more close ones to spawn though so you can just float around gearing up if you need to.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Rynoto posted:

Lucky looting and rewards for winning tournaments are the only places I have seen them.

E: Here have this horse pair I got from loot.

I can't believe it
I ain't never seen an asaligat

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bryter posted:

I can't believe it

I got lucky and won one. I locked it so I could keep it for when I hit 90.

When I upgraded a troop with a horse, it defaulted to that one, I didn't notice until an hour or so later :smith:.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Mesadoram posted:

I got lucky and won one. I locked it so I could keep it for when I hit 90.

When I upgraded a troop with a horse, it defaulted to that one, I didn't notice until an hour or so later :smith:.
Oof. That's pretty rough. I assumed it's horse type was horse specifically so it didn't dick you when you upgraded someone with a warhorse.

Do you get horses back when they swap to war horses? You should I would think but I have no idea with this game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I find with the horse requirement the only horsemen i bother using these days are my companions or horsemen that i've freed. They die far to easily otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bryter posted:

I can't believe it

I won one in a tournament.