Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So, what ARE some good post season-15 episodes?

Off the top of my head, I remember thinking the episode where they do My Fair Lady with Groundskeeper Willie was pretty funny. And I remember liking The Father, The Son, & The Holy Guest Star, though I haven't seen it in a while. Treehouse of Horror XIX has one of my all time favorite Treehouse segments (the great Pumpkin), and I have a soft-spot for any future-set episodes. I think there's been like at least 4 of them since the one where Lisa is the president. And I remember liking the Futurama crossover episode too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

you broke my grill posted:

I like how Al Jean has to explain all the jokes on the DVD commentary with such insight like "Mt. Splashmore is a parody of water parks"

Al Jean was a showrunner on the Simpsons at the absolute height of the show's powers (seasons 3 & 4). I guess his partner Mike Reiss did all the funny decisions?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well Reiss was involved with the Critic along with Jean too. At the very least, TC is better than bad simpsons. Maybe it was Reiss who was the talent all along?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

Off the top of my head, I remember thinking the episode where they do My Fair Lady with Groundskeeper Willie was pretty funny. And I remember liking The Father, The Son, & The Holy Guest Star, though I haven't seen it in a while. Treehouse of Horror XIX has one of my all time favorite Treehouse segments (the great Pumpkin), and I have a soft-spot for any future-set episodes. I think there's been like at least 4 of them since the one where Lisa is the president. And I remember liking the Futurama crossover episode too.

I've watched Simpsons semi regularly until S20, and the only two episodes I remember being enjoyable are The Seemingly Never-Ending Story S17 and 24 Minutes S18.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well Reiss was involved with the Critic along with Jean too. At the very least, TC is better than bad simpsons. Maybe it was Reiss who was the talent all along?

Maybe Al Jean used to be funny but has just turned into as much a soulless zombie as the show he runs.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

Just browsing through the Simpsons Archive these are the ones I remember being decent, but I haven't seen most of them since they first aired so I don't know if they'd actually hold up.

The Heartbroke Kid
Girls Just Want to Have Sums
The Debarted
Dial 'N' for Nerder
How the Test Was Won
Treehouse of Horror XX
The Food Wife
The Book Job
Holidays of Future Past
A Totally Fun Thing Bart Will Never Do Again
The Day the Earth Stood Cool
'Cue Detective
Halloween of Horror
There Will Be Buds

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Am I being unreasonable when I say that I hate the pun naming convention that started later in the show's life?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Only if you like puns generally because it starts earlier than you're probably thinking.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I saw an episode the other day where Marge meets an Irish man and works in his erotic bakery and Homer and Ned Flanders are bounty hunters together and it was very bad television viewing imo

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Plan Z posted:

Am I being unreasonable when I say that I hate the pun naming convention that started later in the show's life?

crispix posted:

I saw an episode the other day where Marge meets an Irish man and works in his erotic bakery and Homer and Ned Flanders are bounty hunters together and it was very bad television viewing imo
"Sex, Pies and Idiot Scrapes"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Don't start a precedent for pun titles because You Will Run Out Of Them

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Data Graham posted:

Don't start a precedent for pun titles because You Will Run Out Of Them

Ewe will pun out of them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
What is it with the Simpsons and erotic cakes

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
That episode also contains a sequel of sorts to Steamed Hams

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Maybe Al Jean used to be funny but has just turned into as much a soulless zombie as the show he runs.

The truth is in the middle corner

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

crispix posted:

This sounds like a Bob's Burgers episode except it would be called like "Mutiny on the Bob-ty" or "Lindarotica" or something miserable like that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Those sound like great episodes of Bobs burgers, sorry

Feats of Strength
Feb 9, 2012

Man, If god told me to sacrifice my son I'd tell
him to fuck off.
Whenever they all got mobile phones, I was watching an episode possibly from season 15 that aired on TV last week where the whole premise of the show was that Bart's friends all had cellphones and he didn't, then he found one on a golf course which belonged to someone else.. some TV movie guy of the mid-naughties can't even remember his name.

It's just as bad in recent episodes where their all on smart phones and pads, with the episodes revolving around them instead of the characters..

Also I'm poor and don't own a phone.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Milo and POTUS posted:

Only if you like puns generally because it starts earlier than you're probably thinking.

Yeah there are golden age episodes with pun titles it just doesn't seem obnoxious because the episodes are actually good.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Milo and POTUS posted:

Those sound like great episodes of Bobs burgers, sorry

Yes, the worst Simpsons episodes sound mysteriously similar to the best Bob's Burgers episodes for some reason.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Milo and POTUS posted:

Maybe it was Reiss who was the talent all along?
I have had the misfortune of reading Mike Reiss's book and I have to say the answer to that is no. It's filled with hacky, sub-Billy Crystal vaudeville jokes, and it also has a section where he calls The Problem With Apu "an angry little documentary".

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Mike Reiss sounds like an idiot on the commentaries. Part of that is his idiot voice, though.

Also revealed to be an idiot on the commentaries - Yeardley Smith.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Daikloktos posted:

:hmmyes:

Frequently seems unable to even follow the plot of the episode. Often her contributions are just "It's funny that [repeat joke verbatim]"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

She recently wrote an episode so I wonder how that ended up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

dads_work_files posted:

Yes, the worst Simpsons episodes sound mysteriously similar to the best Bob's Burgers episodes for some reason.

Bob's Burgers is probably the closest thing to a Simpsons successor at this point. (Family Guy and American Dad really are more their own thing)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

J-Spot posted:

Just browsing through the Simpsons Archive these are the ones I remember being decent, but I haven't seen most of them since they first aired so I don't know if they'd actually hold up.

The Heartbroke Kid
Girls Just Want to Have Sums
The Debarted
Dial 'N' for Nerder
How the Test Was Won
Treehouse of Horror XX
The Food Wife
The Book Job
Holidays of Future Past
A Totally Fun Thing Bart Will Never Do Again
The Day the Earth Stood Cool
'Cue Detective
Halloween of Horror
There Will Be Buds

Was "Girls Just Want To Have Sums" the episode where the school gets divided into a Boy Side and a Girl Side? Because that one was atrocious. It managed to be sexist against everyone while looking like it was trying to make a feminist point.

I'll agree on The Book Job though, that was good. Managed to do the celebrity cameo pretty well too.

I don't recognise the rest of the titles.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Behold one of Mike Reiss' creations: Queer Duck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wImRXN5Y5-w

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Let’s not and say we didn’t

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bob's Burgers is probably the closest thing to a Simpsons successor at this point. (Family Guy and American Dad really are more their own thing)

Yea Bob's Burgers is fine. It's just fine.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

There's one commentary where a character uses a spork and yeardley smith had apparently never seen one and asked the writers how they came up with that

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My first exposure to Bob's Burgers was binging the first season while having withdrawal from Kratom I bought off a banner ad, and I will always thank it for that.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Tenebrais posted:

Was "Girls Just Want To Have Sums" the episode where the school gets divided into a Boy Side and a Girl Side? Because that one was atrocious. It managed to be sexist against everyone while looking like it was trying to make a feminist point.

It is. I'll confess that I barely remember much about it apart from one joke where Lisa is imagining all these talking math equations making goofy puns and then this cartoony number 27 shows up and just says "twenty seven!" in a goofy voice. It was so unexpected and absurd that it made me laugh harder than anything the show has done in the last decade.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

you broke my grill posted:

There's one commentary where a character uses a spork and yeardley smith had apparently never seen one and asked the writers how they came up with that

Is she also the one that stabbed her podcast partner in the back or something like that

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Daikloktos posted:

She's a scientologist so this isn't much of a surprise.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

She's a scientologist so this isn't much of a surprise.

That's Nancy Cartwright.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Here she is doing a robocall in character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H96v0zFw-tA

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

J-Spot posted:

It is. I'll confess that I barely remember much about it apart from one joke where Lisa is imagining all these talking math equations making goofy puns and then this cartoony number 27 shows up and just says "twenty seven!" in a goofy voice. It was so unexpected and absurd that it made me laugh harder than anything the show has done in the last decade.

That truly is a great moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2-7CqYFi64

As for post-season 15 episodes of merit, I have a soft spot for Any Given Sundance (episode 18, season 19). Chalmers and Skinner teaming up as movie producers is great, and the two celebrity cameos (a remarkable amount of restraint for an episode about a film festival) are quite well done.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/mikerecine/status/1250138731576799243?s=21

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
King Size Homer has to be on any top 5 list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Riptor posted:

King Size Homer has to be on any top 5 list

Wow that’s wild dude, I find this episode to be virtually unwatchable! Even as a child it was one of maybe 3 eps in syndication I’d skip to go play Nintendo in my room.